Game-Labs Forum

>>>Core Patch 0.5 Feedback Hotfix v90<<<

Nick Thomadis

20 minutes ago, Elrerune The Honorbound said:

Can you please take a screenshot of the game lol? do you play it so how can you give credible feedback if you dont even run it at least once every new version comes out?

I’m in the testing forum, I run it several times before every new version comes out. If your problem with the feedback is that there aren’t enough illustrations,  there’s nothing I can do for you. Am I supposed to draw you pictures so you can follow along?

I welcome you to argue on merits (“credibility”), because I consistently post qualitative and quantitive data from primary, secondary and academic sources. What about any of that do you find incredible? What data sets do you object to? Is there any analysis that you think is askew?

If you have a hard time keeping up, feel free to sit out the conversations. 

" older ships being far slower to train on" - why exactly? that was common practice in history, and it worked.
also, from gamey perspective (and a little bit of realism) - how about the "school ship" refit for old boats? Somewhat decreasing their actual combat worthiness, but seriously increasing training speed.

3 minutes ago, DougToss said:

please refrain from interacting with that account, it's poisonous.

Edited by Cpt.Hissy
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, DougToss said:

I’m in the testing forum, I run it several times before every new version comes out. If your problem with the feedback is that there aren’t enough illustrations,  there’s nothing I can do for you. Am I supposed to draw you pictures so you can follow along?

I welcome you to argue on merits (“credibility”), because I consistently post qualitative and quantitive data from primary, secondary and academic sources. What about any of that do you find incredible? What data sets do you object to? Is there any analysis that you think is askew?

If you have a hard time keeping up, feel free to sit out the conversations. 

Keep dreaming buddy if you think you know "everything" about "everyone". Keep dreaming.

After all you are only, as you say:"in the testing forum" no more than that.

Edited by Elrerune The Honorbound

3 hours ago, Cpt.Hissy said:

" older ships being far slower to train on" - why exactly? that was common practice in history, and it worked.
also, from gamey perspective (and a little bit of realism) - how about the "school ship" refit for old boats? Somewhat decreasing their actual combat worthiness, but seriously increasing training speed.

please refrain from interacting with that account, it's poisonous.

I meant to say retrain as in veteran crews having to work on older equipment if for whatever reason you lose some of your more modern ships. I just failed at writing as i was worrying about my right ear at the time (which is now blocked yay).

But yeah, im not sure what that persons problem is.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I meant to say retrain as in veteran crews having to work on older equipment if for whatever reason you lose some of your more modern ships. I just failed at writing as i was worrying about my right ear at the time (which is now blocked yay).

But yeah, im not sure what that persons problem is.

The Victorian Royal Navy insisting on  using sail training for decades longer than it should gets a chapter of its own in Rules Of The Game, maybe there’s something to it. Help me work this out into gameplay terms, but something like - 

Training on old ships and with old methods gives you a spit and polish peacetime navy - higher prestige, higher discipline, better ship maintenance, but does not increase (maybe even harms) wartime effectiveness? 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DougToss said:

The Victorian Royal Navy insisting on  using sail training for decades longer than it should gets a chapter of its own in Rules Of The Game, maybe there’s something to it. Help me work this out into gameplay terms, but something like - 

Training on old ships and with old methods gives you a spit and polish peacetime navy - higher prestige, higher discipline, better ship maintenance, but does not increase (maybe even harms) wartime effectiveness? 

I would say for training in older doctrines and techs despite newer ones being available would in-game make your crew slower and/or more stubborn to advanced so maybe slower exp gains. However because of naval history, far greater morale and higher treatments to better standards would make it so they are able to shift too new techs quicker and i guess better bonuses to certain traits maybe, gunnery, damage control etc.

Hmm, this is quite a tough one to crack. Although it does allow us to delve into how deep and complex the crew system can go and how things outside of battle can effect it, even not related to ships themselves (like world events or domestic events).

• Like 2

Just now, DougToss said:

That’s just it eh? 

Incredibly highly trained, but did that training in things like drill, seamanship and sail management help?

Hmm, i guess the simple way would be too turn them into modifiers although this would be very basic. Another method would be to use more complex calculations, seamanship i think would hold less penalties as ships tend to operate on similar principals just the innards being the major issue when it comes to learning now things.

It could be divided into stages sort of how you need a driving licence and the a HGV licence to do lorry driving in the UK, despite lorrys and other road based vehicles sharing very similar principles on how they get from A to B. So you would get penalties to crew exp and maybe competence, but it would clear faster as they get to work.

Drills, could be a steady progress sort of thing. You start off with sail combat drills and basic steam engine drills and those get more and more advanced, i think only abilities would be effected here rather than exp.

Sail management would cause the most issues and apply penalties to how fast crew members can use machinery, plus both systems are very different and complex so it could be the case that the ship doesn't respond as fast and as accurately as it should with a machine using crew.

So in short, the crew while highly trained and disciplined would get large bonuses to morale and stamina. They would suffer experience penalties and penalties relating to devices they don't know how to use and also struggle to use, like gunnery, speed, timing, damage control etc. Would all be effected.

As time goes on, those penalties will be normalised and the crew will gain experience as normal and any other buffs on top related to history or historical reasons and in-game events.

So we can tie this all to actual events irl and make it more realistic and in-depth. Not sure how quick naval forces were able to change doctrines and also teach already trained crew new equipment, but it can be reflected in-game and also making better schools and building new schools should help with a higher influx of better and newly trained recruits.

Also sorry for the long winded reply seems i got carried away once ideas flowed into my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Also sorry for the long winded reply seems i got carried away once ideas flowed into my head.

No, no I appreciate it. 

Chapter 9, “The Long Calm Lee of Trafalgar” in Rules of the Game gives it a thorough treatment. Book’s on libgen if you’re so inclined. I’m curious what you think since all of the points you touch on are there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DougToss said:

No, no I appreciate it. 

Chapter 9, “The Long Calm Lee of Trafalgar” in Rules of the Game gives it a thorough treatment. Book’s on libgen if you’re so inclined. I’m curious what you think since all of the points you touch on are there.

Ahh ill have to check that out then, my interest in all things naval has been steadily growing. Especially with the guys in a discord im in. (Also has a tonne of memes). Especially the older ships from 1850-1920, which we do need more of.

Now im not sure how unity could do all that since its more of a generic game engine, but it seems capable of doing many a great thing so hopefully the devs can add bits at a time, so its easier for them to adjust and doesn't add a tonne of bugs into the game as well.

I've used unity for quite a bit, and even the basic stuff i find hard so i appreciate it when the devs are able to get stuff done as i would be at loss and have to bundle through too many tutorials lol.

For the love of Mike...

347 hits, 19 floodings, 2 ammo detonations, 128 partial pens, 79 penetrations.     

It'd be funny if it weren't for the fact my brain dead AI screen wouldn't ignore this unkillable abortion and focus on the killable torpedo boats which were killing them.

Whatever was done in the latest build, it was not an enhancement.

image.thumb.png.5523101f1bbedf5f470c3ee435589d13.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheRealJostapo said:

For the love of Mike...

347 hits, 19 floodings, 2 ammo detonations, 128 partial pens, 79 penetrations.     

It'd be funny if it weren't for the fact my brain dead AI screen wouldn't ignore this unkillable abortion and focus on the killable torpedo boats which were killing them.

Whatever was done in the latest build, it was not an enhancement.

image.thumb.png.5523101f1bbedf5f470c3ee435589d13.png

Ok let's see what damage we got here:

• All or most of the turrets are busted.
  • The rudder (somehow) is flooded which should mean the ship can't maneuver.
  • The first tower is heavily damaged and the second tower is completely destroyed.
  • One of the two funnels is destroyed.
  • The conning tower is damaged and mostly likely commander dead.
  • The bow is completely flooded.
  • There's holes all over the damn ship.
  • I'm going to guess the ship is listing horribly.
  • I'm also going to guess this ship has been burned to a crisp.
  • One or the main engine is broken which means it's moving at a snails pace.
  • As you said it's ammo detonated twice.

Yeah if this was real life they would scuttled the poor thing. Last time I saw damage like this is with Bismarck.

Edited by CapnAvont1015
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

Ok let's see what damage we got here:

• All or most of the turrets are busted.
  • The rudder (somehow) is flooded which should mean the ship can't maneuver.
  • The first tower is heavily damaged and the second tower is completely destroyed.
  • One of the two funnels is destroyed.
  • The conning tower is damaged and mostly likely commander dead.
  • The bow is completely flooded.
  • There's holes all over the damn ship.
  • I'm going to guess the ship is listing horribly.
  • I'm also going to guess this ship has been burned to a crisp.
  • One or the main engine is broken which means it's moving at a snails pace.
  • As you said it's ammo detonated twice.

Yeah if this was real life they would scuttled the poor thing. Last time I saw damage like this is with Bismarck.

I'm surprised that thing can still float with 8% integrity. Wouldn't it start collapsing in on itself?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Commander Reed said:

Apparently all of the Captains in this game have too much of an ego to abandon ship, even when their ship is literally falling apart. 🤣

Well the captain is dead in this case but come on man you spent a whole twenty minutes to design your ship you really on abandon it?

• Like 3