Game-Labs Forum

NPC Firing arc is insane, see the screenshot

Im already fed up with magic buff of NPCs, and this screenshot here will pretty much nail what i mean. NPC is having all the magic buffs in game, including the insane cannon arcs!

Just take a look.

20190523201907_1.thumb.jpg.a5c19582483c2348e42e62a373db0af1.jpg

That firing arc.

I just wanted to do some good old coffee and shoot cannonballs to silly NPC. Nope they too stronk and cheating (Using buffs that players cant use).

This is not elite NPC just regular 5rank mission NPC.

Edited by James Thomson
Ai does not "cheat" but uses buffs players dont have access.
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Papillon said:

This comes up a lot.  You should remember admin's response to this:

I know... But i can try?

I find it very odd if they really do not want have players to have fast fun whit NPC fights. Its gonna put off majority of paying players i promise. PvE should exist on PvP server aswell and be fun. Not just nightmarish long survival whit no rewards.

• Like 1

I am the last person to complain about the AI being too strong. Quite the contrary it could use a bit more bite (less buffs better scripting, though much easier said than done).
But I wholeheartedly agree that this firing angle is beyond ridiculous!

I would love AI being "Smart" and i know they are. What i dont like is that their ship stats are not like player ships. This would be all okay and challange if it was Elite ship. But regular NPC being this OP... Cant stand it. I have no place to practice my ships and just have fun ol shoot the npc.

• Like 2

It really sucks that AI's are set this way.  I have nothing against the Devs' intentions, they want to make sure PvE has some sort of a challenge, I get it, and scripting AI to do something as complex as sailing as masted ship is not easy.

That being said, NPC's should follow the same rules as a human player.  You should be able to have a strategy against them that is realistic, and be able to use them to practice the game rules.  Like if i have never fought pvp against a certain ship, I'd want to hit an NPC ship of the same type and get a feel as to what the broadside feels against them, what the approximate turning rate is, firing arc, etc.  

Take a game like dark souls.  Yes its hard, but all NPC's follow a set of rules, if you can figure out the rules, you can learn to beat them.  NPC's dont just cheat to win.

Currently, you get no satisfaction from out manouvering an NPC if they can just shoot ahead of them...  I even think the buffs they have should be attainable by a regular player  (aside form elite buffs, cause you need to have "Boss" battles for a challenge). 

I'd rather have easier NPC's where you can beat them if you figure out how to sail against them, than something that cheats.  The point of a challenge is to feel accomplished, and you do that by beating something fairly.  If the AI doesnt follow rules, you just feel kinda bored.  I didnt do anything, just shot it until it died and tried to protect my armor by turning.  What the point in fighting one? you might as well just an overclasses ship and hit fleets of lower class to get xp.  

TLDR plz nerf firing arc, make AI use same rules as players.   Buff them a little, sure, but would rather an NPC who is equivalent to a bad player, than something that a player could never do

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Reginulfr said:

It really sucks that AI's are set this way.  I have nothing against the Devs' intentions, they want to make sure PvE has some sort of a challenge, I get it, and scripting AI to do something as complex as sailing as masted ship is not easy.

That being said, NPC's should follow the same rules as a human player.  You should be able to have a strategy against them that is realistic, and be able to use them to practice the game rules.  Like if i have never fought pvp against a certain ship, I'd want to hit an NPC ship of the same type and get a feel as to what the broadside feels against them, what the approximate turning rate is, firing arc, etc.  

Take a game like dark souls.  Yes its hard, but all NPC's follow a set of rules, if you can figure out the rules, you can learn to beat them.  NPC's dont just cheat to win.

Currently, you get no satisfaction from out manouvering an NPC if they can just shoot ahead of them...  I even think the buffs they have should be attainable by a regular player  (aside form elite buffs, cause you need to have "Boss" battles for a challenge). 

I'd rather have easier NPC's where you can beat them if you figure out how to sail against them, than something that cheats.  The point of a challenge is to feel accomplished, and you do that by beating something fairly.  If the AI doesnt follow rules, you just feel kinda bored.  I didnt do anything, just shot it until it died and tried to protect my armor by turning.  What the point in fighting one? you might as well just an overclasses ship and hit fleets of lower class to get xp.  

TLDR plz nerf firing arc, make AI use same rules as players.   Buff them a little, sure, but would rather an NPC who is equivalent to a bad player, than something that a player could never do

+1 This totally. I want practice my ships before going PvP.

I have played this game almost 2000hours. Most of it at Alpha stage where AI was a bit dummer. And i enjoyed it much more by then.

And the AI is very damn smart, i have seen AI to save his broadside while ally is "blocking the shot" and only single fire the blocker, then when i have taken peek to shoot he will release the saved broadside. And AI really does know how to aim for the weakest player and spots, its nice.

Its already a really good AI Devs have done great job! And i really like that!

But giving the normal NPCs buffs that are making their Fir/Fir ships and medium cannons act as Wo/Wo whit Fir speed and agility and Long guns + unlimited double and charge. Its way too much and no more fun.

Same rules for normal AI and players, that i want. Nothing else. Elite NPCs can be the caliber normal NPC is now in my opinion.

Edited by James Thomson
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Barbancourt said:

squeaky wheel gets the grease - lets all squeak and get these AI fixed. 

We're not asking for much either.  Firing arc and realistic buffs?  

5 minutes ago, James Thomson said:

But giving the normal NPCs buffs that are making their Fir/Fir ships and medium cannons act as Wo/Wo whit Fir speed and agility and Long guns + unlimited double and charge. Its way too much and no more fun.

I agree here too.  make the buffs according to the ships.  Its not like we know what the ship has before hitting it?  Some will be harder, some easier.  They shouldnt ALL be Lo/wo + Fir Speed + port bonus.  

Also why do NPC's need double and charge... they dont.   Make them tankier.  a boradside is a broadside

• Like 2

"Nanomachines, son!"

But seriously, I've lost all hope at this point. They are talking about the release in June when huge aspects of the game require fixing and tuning with regards to PvP. PvE AI is the last thing on their minds probably. I won't be surprised if instead of nerfing the bots, they'll buff them even more for "exciting challenges".

I find it very funny, 

My port bonus WASA bouncing shots from Hamburger(not elite). He out dps my port bonus gunnery 4 + gunnery book. When I kill it, I check to see how hard his hull was, guess what, Shabby Fir/Crew Space! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

I find it very funny, 

My port bonus WASA bouncing shots from Hamburger(not elite). He out dps my port bonus gunnery 4 + gunnery book. When I kill it, I check to see how hard his hull was, guess what, Shabby Fir/Crew Space! 

Yeah. Im sick of fighting enemies that dont sail the ships they feel to be.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, Papillon said:

This comes up a lot.  You should remember admin's response to this:

On 5/23/2019 at 8:31 PM, Reginulfr said:

[...]

I'm 100% with you. Unfortunately I feel like we may never obtain something that suits a PvE crowd for this requires devs who can listen and understand a PvE community's needs and while Ink is always very pragmatic, works with facts and hands out valid responses, "Admin" on the other hand sounds like a troll. "PvE server is happiness and peace and hostile AI will ruin the atmosphere". "If you do not like artificial challenges please avoid them and only fight players". What kind of answers are these?

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Zlatkowar said:

I'm 100% with you. Unfortunately I feel like we may never obtain something that suits a PvE crowd for this requires devs who can listen and understand a PvE community's needs and while Ink is always very pragmatic, works with facts and hands out valid responses, "Admin" on the other hand sounds like a troll. "PvE server is happiness and peace and hostile AI will ruin the atmosphere". "If you do not like artificial challenges please avoid them and only fight players". What kind of answers are these?

If devs really think this is the situation. I demand all AI are remowed from PvP.

All missinos should be PvP related and no single battle is PvE.

If PvE is not developed for PvP server then remove it completely. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James Thomson said:

If devs really think this is the situation. I demand all AI are remowed from PvP.

All missinos should be PvP related and no single battle is PvE.

If PvE is not developed for PvP server then remove it completely. 

You "demand" that, do you?  Really, it's not all that bad.  Fighting AI is a  good way to practice your sailing and shooting.  They don't give a realistic challenge to good players, but so what?  Plenty of players want to take them on for various reasons and if they have a few advantages, they also have flaws.  I'm sure devs could make it better, but I honestly don't think it is high on the priority list.  The PVE on the War server is useable, if not perfect.  Can't speak for the Peace server where AI fighting is everything.

Edited by Angus MacDuff

37 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

You "demand" that, do you?  Really, it's not all that bad.  Fighting AI is a  good way to practice your sailing and shooting.  They don't give a realistic challenge to good players, but so what?  Plenty of players want to take them on for various reasons and if they have a few advantages, they also have flaws.  I'm sure devs could make it better, but I honestly don't think it is high on the priority list.  The PVE on the War server is useable, if not perfect.  Can't speak for the Peace server where AI fighting is everything.

They don't give any realistic training or practise to PVP when NPC ship stats are overriden by "buffs". That is my opinion. I don't want fight against unrealistic magic ship parameters that don't apply to player ships, wood types or manuvering. Its not training anymore, its just struggle to overcome AIs buffs, i can do that but its not fun or make me any better against players when the ship parameters do not match.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love the angles AI ships stern guns fire at; angles I can only dream of. The AI ships should have same stats as player ships. Uneven capabilities is simply a mediocre way to bring more "excitement" to the game. The devs call this game "realistic" but sorry, ain't close yet. Oh, and it's fixing to be released! Lol!

• Like 5