Game-Labs Forum

2 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Why must 100% of battles end in one side or the other having all ships sunk or captured? Escaping for another day is historically correct and more cost effective for a majority of players, save the hardcore pros.

I'm also wondering this. When I go to Caribbean news all I see is fleet battles ending in one side completely decimated and the other green across the board. What's going on with fights that make it so one side is completely fine and the other is completely destroyed? I suspect this has something to do with repairs causing damage not to stick.

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I'm also wondering this. When I go to Caribbean news all I see is fleet battles ending in one side completely decimated and the other green across the board. What's going on with fights that make it so one side is completely fine and the other is completely destroyed? I suspect this has something to do with repairs causing damage not to stick.

Various reasons but yes repairs are the main culprit. 

I like the 3 repair system, where you can choose which repair to use for a total of 3 so you could do any combination of hull/rig up to 3, depending on playstyle.
Rum either a 1 time use or a constant to simulate a doctor taking people in and treating them one by one or two by two.
I think 1 rep is too harsh for the average person, but 3 is a good balance. You shouldn't need more than that.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I like the 3 repair system, where you can choose which repair to use for a total of 3 so you could do any combination of hull/rig up to 3, depending on playstyle.
Rum either a 1 time use or a constant to simulate a doctor taking people in and treating them one by one or two by two.

Isn't there talk of a DLC that allows players to have more chain, double, and charge shot? Limiting a non-P2W player to only 3 repairs against a P2W player would suck tremendously. I like the hull space repairs (if I have space, then I should be able to use it to the max), however, I do think some of the cargo slots should not be available due to provisions and other things needed daily. Perhaps a cargo slot or two should be reserved for provisions and these would result in hold weight used.

3 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Isn't there talk of a DLC that allows players to have more chain, double, and charge shot? 

No, stop trolling. <_<
3 repairs is enough to perform well. 
Repair dumping your entire hold is unrealistic; and is the problem.

Edited by Slim McSauce

6 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

No, stop trolling. <_<
3 repairs is enough to perform well. 
Repair dumping your entire hold is unrealistic; and is the problem.

Lul, I didnt intend to troll. It is unrealistic, but it is also unrealistic to not be able to select our loadout. We should be able to choose how many shots of each we want for each voyage.

Thanks Slim for another discussion invaded by your "this repair system sucks" mentality. I'm waiting for the RNG crafting is shit, skill doesn't matter and the gear gap is real posts, cuz no matter what topic, you will always tell us what NAs real issues are. 

Best regards 

• Like 3

Just now, Palatinose said:

Thanks Slim for another discussion invaded by your "this repair system sucks" mentality. I'm waiting for the RNG crafting is shit, skill doesn't matter and the gear gap is real posts, cuz no matter what topic, you will always tell us what NAs real issues are. 

Best regards 

get over it. This is the "battle system core ruleset discussion" and I'm discussing battle core ruleset, scrub.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Logistics. No you won't tow a grand fleet to free port and immediately sail out.  You shall make an effort and plan your logistics work and then you can sail out with whatever ship with good amount of repairs.

Leave repairs as is. Make sure ALL capitals and reinforcement zone ports have infinite repairs ( for the sake of the newcomers and lazy veterans alike and so it is impossible to buy them all for resale ).

Get over it.Back to RoE and Signalling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Lul, I didnt intend to troll. It is unrealistic, but it is also unrealistic to not be able to select our loadout. We should be able to choose how many shots of each we want for each voyage.

So if you wanted to bring 100 cannons on your ship, because they fit into hold and use them all in battle, that's unrealistic. You can bring whatever you want but in battle you only get that certain amount of cannons/repairs to use.

Edited by Slim McSauce

5 hours ago, SnovaZdorowa said:

open fights are the secret of the popularity of patrols

I have been logged in for an hour and a half and am at Tumbado now (where the patrol is) there is no one here and not one single kill in the area on Combat News. The 'secret' to the popularity of patrols is lack of alternative because of low pop. I hate patrols, I don't mind if others enjoy it and want to go to them, that's great. But please don't suggest that this game would be better if it was more like patrols, it wouldn't be, it would destroy the game.

As much as I dislike dura, a durability allowance linked to new players only (low ranks) I would not object to. That seems like a good way to encourage new players to get into PvP.

But as someone said above, 30 day old players will ALWAYS lose in PvP unless they have numbers (ganking). Let them gank I say or let them fight each other? Low rank Patrols with durability?#

• Like 1

30 day new players can do what we all did and in the beginning. Join a clan and sail privateers and snows into pvp..those were my best moments in NA.

We should emphasize getting newbies into clans more because thats the key to retention.

8 hours ago, admin said:

We do not generalize of course. There are several cores of players and some do not engage in pvp at all. In fact if you take all accounts that are created in december only 25% engaged in PVP. 75% engaged only in PVE. 20% of players never even left port. Changes affecting the PVE groups are under way and are described in the Missions announcement in developer announcements. 

This discussion is only focused on the cohort (group) of players who tried to engage in PVP. Let's not mix up it with other players.  

I love the idea to rework the battle system. To join the weaker side will increase PVP but i think you have to do more. Nobody who is ganked by several people have the time to write in Nationchat or something. There must be a button to Call help and it should be appeared on the Map and in the Chat for other players..

Like this :

rIs0khT.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Calling for help...….This is a big problem for me and my immersion.  I would love to see no communication with OW from a battle instance.  Nothing you can do about Discord and TS of course.

For me too communication should be limited even more... and it could help immersion.

On the other hand, today, there're so many ways to communicate (Discord and TS first and foremost) that limiting ingame communication would hurt... solo casuals who are already the most beaten category in game...

So, for game sake (and - casual - player retention), better less immersion and simpler ways for them to get help... that more often than not will arrive anyway too late, aside if attacked close to high traffic areas (like Capitols - and they get R area ROE - and main FFA hubs like LT or Tumbado).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Calling for help...….This is a big problem for me and my immersion.  I would love to see no communication with OW from a battle instance.  Nothing you can do about Discord and TS of course.

Yeah! The good old days when a Frigate arrives with news of the new war with whoever, arrives, before the brig arrives with the news of the peace after the old war!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, admin said:

Ganking is not discouraged by battles open for the weaker side for the following reasons.
1) 2 min free entry for all still exists
2) Once 2 mins passes the system checks the BR in battle and keeps it open for the weaker side. 
3) Battle closes when BR of the weaker side exceeds the attacking side.

Thus organized group will still have an initial advantage. 
But if the battle is located on popular routes the battle will escalate which means the following
Weaker side will have some hope
Other players can stumble upon this battle when sailing and join to help
Other players can be called on in chat and sail to help

I see no negatives at all with this system. It will increase pvp and will reduce ganking (at least at some locations)

This system leads to the BR balance discussion. Here is a question - Should a 5/5 ship fully equipped with the best mods have a higher BR than the same ship with none?

Would it make sense modify BR for installed mods? May lead to a fairer calculation for either side.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

So if you wanted to bring 100 cannons on your ship, because they fit into hold and use them all in battle, that's unrealistic. You can bring whatever you want but in battle you only get that certain amount of cannons/repairs to use.

^ I know right! you can carry at least 20 long 6 pd on your t lynx but you dare not use them :LULW:

Coming back to the topic, small ships like a xebec or the prince should be crippled by one half aimed broadside  of a ship of the line.

So please bring in a somehow more historical relation between firepower and ship structure/damage.

This would result in one attack of those, a second wouldn't be possible at all.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Ganking is not discouraged by battles open for the weaker side for the following reasons.
1) 2 min free entry for all still exists
2) Once 2 mins passes the system checks the BR in battle and keeps it open for the weaker side. 
3) Battle closes when BR of the weaker side exceeds the attacking side.

But the attacker is not allowed to leave the battle (according to the OP).  Why would anyone initiate a battle when he knows he's going to get outnumbered?  Players start battles that they think they can win.  I tag a frigate in my Herc.  My BR is higher.  After 15 minutes of good fighting, with both of us damaged, someone joins on his side in an Endy.  How is this "good" PVP?  All I see is an easy victory for the Endy Captain and me swearing that i'll never start another battle...just hang around and wait to jump into someone else's fight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

But the attacker is not allowed to leave the battle (according to the OP).  Why would anyone initiate a battle when he knows he's going to get outnumbered?  Players start battles that they think they can win.  I tag a frigate in my Herc.  My BR is higher.  After 15 minutes of good fighting, with both of us damaged, someone joins on his side in an Endy.  How is this "good" PVP?  All I see is an easy victory for the Endy Captain and me swearing that i'll never start another battle...just hang around and wait to jump into someone else's fight.

Good point. Battles should close at some point imo. Its not fun to have the battle drastically change 15-20 minutes into the battle if the battle is somewhat close.

I am also curious as to what the BR difference will need to be in order allow someone else to join. For example, if its 5th rate vs 5th rate, should we consider that an even battle (regardless of BR) and keep it closed? I vote yes.

Surprise vs. Trinco can be considered an uneven battle BUT add another 5th rate on the surprise's team and its definitely uneven for the Trinco

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 1