Game-Labs Forum

Pre-Orders stopped - because Paypal

I sympathize with Game Labs over their difficulties and I am disheartened to hear of them.   I have played my first game of Naval Action tonight and after only 35 minutes, I feel like I've recieved my $40 worth so far. With more to come from the future I'm sure.  However...

It's not PayPal that sucks. Or it's not only PayPal.

It's gamers who buy into pre-alpha development of games that suck.  They can be fickle, narrow minded and often overly reactionary.  They are happy to spend their money on risky ventures and "if", for whatever reason, they develop regret over the manor in which their invenstment turned out, they will demand their money back. They think this world of game development is all reward without any risk.

And who will end up dealing with the backlash?  PayPal. Because PayPal has a vested interest in maintaining the integrity of online transactions so they guarantee purchases with assurances that "goods" will be delivered and concerns about fraud and risk will be abated.

So it should be obvious why PayPal gets nervous about their customers using their services to buy into development of independant games.  In their minds they picture an indy-developer tanking and closing up shop or otherwise running afoul of the players who will protest in the only way they know; by demanding refunds.  Who will end up paying for the refunds and dealing with the headache of reversal charges and clawing back payments? PayPal.

Be honest and genuine here.

Game Labs could cash out their PayPal account, close up shop tommorow and never be heard from again. Running away with all of our money and who would ultimately be on the hook dealing with all the angry gamers? PayPal.

The problem is that PayPal really doesn't understand the dynamics of crowdfunded Game Development and they are acting like the big $6.6 billion dollar elephant in the china shop about it.  I think its clumbsy how they respond and obtuse that they haven't quite figured this out yet.  As a result, they jepordize merchants(developers) confidence in using PayPal as a form of payment for their goods, which bothers me as a consumer who routinely uses PayPal to buy those goods.   I have used PayPal for more than 15 years and never encountered issues and prefer it for a variety of reasons over direct debit/credit card transactions.  I appreciate that PayPal goes to great lengths to protect me as a consumer, but what good is that if no Merchants feel safe in accepting PalPay as payment? 

So, naturally I have also sent off an email to PayPal. 

PayPal needs to get their head around how crowd-funding and pre-orders work.  They can start by placing the risk back onto the gamers where it belongs and not assuming responsibility of risk themselves or strain on the developer.

• Like 6

Solution is to get onto steam ASAP. 

P.S. I am hearing of other people who are going to pre-order today on other forums. Could turn into a night mare. Hope the site is updated..... this is going to make people very very nervous and has to be handled carefully. Why? Because of a few customers I suspect could not wait a few days for a key.

• Like 1

@Schpam

If Game-labs cashes in all the money, closes up shop, and runs, Paypal will not have to toe the bill.

In fact, Paypal is getting in the way of their product being delivered, and on top of that they take their cut out of each copy bought.

@Flip

It is Fraud.  I paid for the game through paypal.  Paypal took their cut from what I paid Game-labs.  They are now trying to stop the game being delivered, so they are essentially taking their cut, stopping the product from being delivered, and me losing out on my investment in Game-labs.

• Like 1

I sent my second letter:

Dear PayPal

Please quit mucking with my game! I paid $40 just like THOUSANDS of others to get EARLY ACCESS to Naval Action from Game Labs LLC.

And that is EXACTLY what I got! - I love and adore the game and want to see development on it expand as more game additions are added.

This is EXACTLY how most online games are started. THERE HAS BEEN NO, ZERO, ZILCH FRAUD!!!!!!!! COPY?

I got just what I expected as did THOUSANDS of OTHERS.

YOUR actions are what threaten the further development of the game by stifling new players joining and enjoying it.

KNOCK IT OFF!

Can you please write a press-release or something on the Naval Action site and post it so that all potential customers see it. So people dont freak out at Game-Labs at the moment.

Such a release would be important for us too. I would like to have something to spread, something you have written.

And pls dont forget to mention Minecraft.

• Like 1

Email sent as follows.

Dear Sir/Madam

Frozen Account: Game Labs LLC
Your Case No. PP-003-614-057-132

It has been brought to my attention that PayPal has frozen the account of Game Labs who are producing a game called Naval Action, which I purchased a week ago.

I appreciate that you have taken this action to protect your customers but I can absolutely confirm to you that there is no need for any such concern in this instance.

Whilst the game is still in production, a working version has been delivered that is already far and away worth the $40 I spent on it.

You can see for yourselves here - https://www.youtube.com/user/Navalaction - how accomplished the game is currently and that Game Labs are clearly not some fly-by-night organisation.

I trust that, in light of the above and the many other emails I know you have received from other satisfied customers, you will reinstate Game Labs' account as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Regards

• Like 1