Game-Labs Forum

Patch 27 - New Economy feedback.

Trying to make doubloons feels compulsory but is not immediately inspiring with random drops and lump missions that take weeks.  I have 10/16 complete on my first 5th Rate Hunt mission.  I think the most progress I've made on any of my 8 Seek & Destroy missions is something like 4/10 or 3/12.    I log in every night for an hour or two and do a couple AI battles because there are always knowledge slots I need to unlock, but it's hard to find OW targets when most of the AI roll around in such huge fleets.  "L'Hermione + 10"?  What am I supposed to do with that?  

But, it's also a BIG holiday week in the USA so lots of people have other things to be doing this week. 

Edited by Barbancourt

The reals/doubloons are fine but the need for so many doubloons to make 1-4th rate ships is not.  I know the idea was to make them less common but that has three major drawbacks.  First, no body wants to play a game where the best (i.e. most fun) ships are unreachable and once one is made is so irreplaceable once lost you don't want to take it out.  Second is it does not make them less common it just moves them exclusively into the hands of the hardcore players who have no life and can commit 12+ hours a day to this game. A game cannot survive on only hardcore players.  Third, the most common shipbuilders are trader focused players who make zero doubloons for trading/sailing everywhere; those players are now forced into combat grind to try to find doubloons just to even make the shipyard in the first place. (and notice doubloons are so valuable no one is party with them for reals on the market).

If new/casual players are going to have any chance or enjoyment under this new system then there needs to be more reward of doubloons for PVE.  So far 40 ships in and I've made a dozen doubloons off enemy NPC kills.  Many of those were t brigs.  Under the old combat marks i'd have made a lot of rewards.  So far the only reliable way to make doubloons is the patrol zone but only doing patrol zone every day gets old quick.

Plus reward the doubloons after battle like the old combat marks.  When you 10 v 1 a fleet of these new NPC roaming about you can't possibly loot them all; not how fast they sink and almost always upwind.  So then you get nothing for those kills. 

Overall, in the previous version of this game because 1-4th could be remade it was easy to take them into PVP and RVR because it did not hurt this badly to lose it meaning lots of fun fighting with fun ships.  The result of the new revision is less PVP and RVR which is killing the game.

On the plus side, the streamlined crafting is great.  I also like how blueprints i don't have are grayed out so i know they exist and that i don't have them yet. 

Edited by James T Kirk

4 hours ago, Intrepido said:

One week ago the game had 100 more players.

The changes in economy (more timesinks) and the increased grinding are the main causes of this severe drop in online players.

It is a pitty that this fact along with the bad reviews on steam arent encouraging devs to make the needed tweaks to make the game fun again and not a dam full time job like it was with patch 9.8.

Both my brothers and two of their friends are part of those players who have given up and quit since the changes were made.  

On 11/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, Barbancourt said:

Wut?  I'm in a part of the map where I have only one outpost, and I set up a Workshop and I'm crafting my repairs and rum. Aren't repairs and rum crafting level zero recipes?

Player moves out from capital to do missions.

The question is how he is able and how much effort/time it takes to start doing missions.

He cannot produce repair kits himself. He is bound to capital or some random port that has player produced repair kits or other resources.

Put it all together and then doing missions is greatly increasing his time spent to grind XP or whatever he wants to grind.

Ship building

More doubloons or another "special resources" you need less valuable normal resources are.

Players grind doubloons. They have enough labor hours and resources? LH and resources are plenty and doubloons are rare. Doubloons have high value, LH and resources don't?

To make resources to feel important, to feel like something you want to capture from a trader, you have to give back them their value.

After the ausgust september patch i saw a lot of players that i knew, left the game:

Main reason: - money drop from attacking npc was cut a lot.

Now there are a lot of players, who actually hate trading. And they are running short of reals cause you dont get much from killing.

Please make npc fleet killing more rewardable, so the trade-hating players are not poor.

3 hours ago, Poryv said:

After the ausgust september patch i saw a lot of players that i knew, left the game:

Main reason: - money drop from attacking npc was cut a lot.

Now there are a lot of players, who actually hate trading. And they are running short of reals cause you dont get much from killing.

Please make npc fleet killing more rewardable, so the trade-hating players are not poor.

Yeah, just wait till removing the trader tool comes next... even less people will be playing, especially the traders!!!!

2 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Yeah, just wait till removing the trader tool comes next... even less people will be playing, especially the traders!!!!

Although, trading was never even interesting with the trader tool, so...

I've enjoyed dozens of hours doing trading in Elite: Dangerous, but never bulk hauling between markets  - it's the contracts/missions that make trading worth doing there. I'd like to see contracts like that here.  (I didn't like the old "trading missions" system)

Edited by Barbancourt

How do you get money after patch 2.7 exactly?

I know my knowledge is limited, resources scarce and I am playing solo and for limited time except on weekends. And the most important - I don´t want to do trading runs. 

My usual session is 1-2 hours so I am able to find and kill 3-4 5th rates which gives me +- 10k reals and some dobloons if I am lucky. I feel I am limited to my Hercules, because I cannot simply recover from any loss. A crafted 5th rate goes arround 30k + 5-10k for guns. That means I can cover my loss in 4 days. Are there any secrets how to generate reals? Everybody is telling me that money is not a problem in this game, but for me they are. My biggest source of income is crafting cannons which is not time consuming, but it is still 10-15k profit per day.

Edited by Porpoise

10 minutes ago, Porpoise said:

I know my knowledge is limited, resources scarce and I am playing solo and for limited time except on weekends. And the most important - I don´t want to do trading runs. 

My usual session is 1-2 hours so I am able to find and kill 3-4 5th rates which gives me +- 10k reals and some dobloons if I am lucky. I feel I am limited to my Hercules, because I cannot simply recover from any loss. A crafted 5th rate goes arround 30k + 5-10k for guns. That means I can cover my loss in 4 days. Are there any secrets how to generate reals? Everybody is telling me that money is not a problem in this game, but for me they are. My biggest source of income is crafting cannons which is not time consuming, but it is still 10-15k profit per day.

Playing solo already makes things a lot harder, the game is currently more geared towards group play in all aspects. Trading is the easiest way to make reals, at least to get a up to a point where you can sustain yourself with other activities, like being able to invest in ships and sail them in the PZ to gain doubloons and selling those doubloons. Finding a spot to hunt for 7th rates or 6th rates and doing missions (hunt and search&destroy) can provide a decent amount of doubloons to sell as well, with less difficulty and more suited to solo than hunting larger ships. Using your labor hours to get the best resource possible in the current market. Another key point is finding the right port to sell your items rather than just selling them in any port. For example, crafting and selling repairs or rum at free towns where you can sell them for more than at other ports. 

Edited by Draymoor

12 minutes ago, Porpoise said:

I wouldn't know how to play alone and NOT trade.  I only make 1 or 2 trade runs a week, but that keeps me in Reals.  plenty of Doubloons are out there so I guess selling them as @Draymoor suggests is your next best bet.  Make sure you are carrying 10 missions for the types of ships you typically hunt and it's a nice little bonus. 

@Porpoise In current markets you can sell doubloons for over 200 reals a piece with no problem. One day of PZ can provide 2000 doubloons with relative ease, that's already 400 000 reals. Should you be able to easily sustain yourself with that. Even the basic 600 doubloons as starting reward for PZ equals out to 120 000 reals.

Edited by Draymoor

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

I wouldn't know how to play alone and NOT trade.  I only make 1 or 2 trade runs a week, but that keeps me in Reals.  plenty of Doubloons are out there so I guess selling them as @Draymoor suggests is your next best bet.  Make sure you are carrying 10 missions for the types of ships you typically hunt and it's a nice little bonus. 

Well I am not against trading, but even 1 trade run means I have no time to do anything else on that day. And I cannot afford losing a trader full of goods, because I am broke :) 

16 minutes ago, Porpoise said:

Well I am not against trading, but even 1 trade run means I have no time to do anything else on that day. And I cannot afford losing a trader full of goods, because I am broke :) 

If you sail a lynx with a couple of trader lynx in fleet, some trade routes can take around just 30 minutes. You have to explore a bit. But if you find trading not suitable for you, like I mentioned above, find a spot to hunt 6th and 7th rates (AI) and take as many missions for them as you can find. You can even take on a fleet of 7th rates with a single 5th rate of your own. You should have enough doubloons from doing that for a couple of weeks to move on to doing Patrol zone. Even if you were the absolute worst player, patrol zone is highly profitable. 

3 hours ago, Draymoor said:

Even if you were the absolute worst player, patrol zone is highly profitable. 

Patrol zone is only "highly profitable" if you are in a large group, with a lot of time.  Otherwise you'll just get sunk and sent back home in 5 minutes by the first group that finds you.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Barbancourt said:

Patrol zone is only "highly profitable" if you are in a large group, with a lot of time.  Otherwise you'll just get sunk and sent back home in 5 minutes by the first group that finds you.

'A lot of time' is relative. As @Wraith says the time of day obviously matters, but any non 'peak' hours are okay. Even if you were to go and lose 3-4 ships, you can still get enough damage done for 2000 doubloons so it still ends up being very profitable. You can buy 5 frigates from admiralty for 100k, lose all of them and still end up with 300k. Call it 10 frigates and still you are left with 200k. For someone broke that seems highly profitable to me. 

• Like 2

I apologize cause I know this has already been discussed somewhere, but I just don't have a good grasp of the new Economy. So if you understand it better than I do and know the answers to my questions, please help me understand how this works. Thank you in advance.

1- Trade goods availability: is the automatic usual spawning of goods every hour or so in ports gone? do goods spawn in Traders, which then bring them to ports? all goods?

2- Woods such as Live Oak, Sabicu, Teak...etc, do they spawn in town or are they subjected to same rules as Trade goods?

3- Euro Traders: do they still exist? can you get goods through contracts with 4 times the daily price?

12 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

1- Trade goods availability: is the automatic usual spawning of goods every hour or so in ports gone? do goods spawn in Traders, which then bring them to ports? all goods?

2- Woods such as Live Oak, Sabicu, Teak...etc, do they spawn in town or are they subjected to same rules as Trade goods?

3- Euro Traders: do they still exist? can you get goods through contracts with 4 times the daily price?

1 - absolutly RNG. tier-1(<1000 profit per unit) - spawned, others no

2 - spawned ~=2500 each 2-3 days

3- not worked 

we are waiting for "trading patch". с содроганием

I just started crafting and i am missing the progress in the crafting level.

I see from time to time my level rise, but there seems to be no predictable progress, since the game only shows crafting level and labour hours left. (Or i just haven't found it, yet)

I would like to see the crafting xp rising to the next level again.

I'm starting to see a small issue with the excellent doubloon drops from AI traders.  My buddy just scored a big one and when he pulled into the nearest port to upload it to his chest, he found that he couldn't, because the chest can only hold 10k.  Now I understand that Devs are happy for us to loot the hold of a captured/sunk ship and then have to transport it.  If we have to bring it back to an outpost that has a warehouse, however, that means we will often have to cut short a cruise in order to get all of our doubloons safely home.  And really, I only want my doubloons to be stored where my production exists, not in any outlying outpost warehouse.  The other alternative is to not hunt AI traders if there is a chance that it will send you home before you are ready to finish.  Is it possible to have more than 10k in your chest?  There are 4 slots there, after all. 

19 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

because the chest can only hold 10k

Why is that an issue? (I admit, the first time i thought the same thing 😉 , but it makes sense to be the way it is)

Isn't that the point? Having more people sailing around carrying dubloons? If you absolutely always have to sail to your main hub, then that is the players choice? Personally i just dump them in whatever outpost i happen to be in (collect and move in bulk)(we are teleporting between outposts all the time, plenty of opportunities to empty your chest and load it up again, you don't even have to go out of your way to get them wherever you want)

And if you went out on a trip/patrol/hunt/whatever and you come back with a full chest (10k) and a couple thousands in your hold ... wouldn't that mean you had an extremely good run (or perhaps they are too easy to come by)? 🙂 The getting home/port part (with those dubloons in your hold) will also make your return to safe waters more exiting (as you have something more to lose than only your ship (and modules)?   

I assume that a real ship at the time that happened to catch a big fish at the start of their patrol wouldn't like sailing back their prize (or atleast make sure it is somewhere secure)? I doubt they'll say: "Dammit, thou bawdy tardy-gaited whey-faces! *sips rum*, such a big prize, *sips more rum*, we're only 3 weeks in and allready we have to sail back to port again! *refills glass, sips more rum* The goatish weather-bitten admiralty won't care and we like to sail around, don't we, pribbling plume-plucked pumpions!? We don't want or really need that prizemoney anyway and all that glory, and on top of that, sigh, *empties the glass* we won't ever be able to keep those puking dismal-dreaming wagtail women away from us in port!"  😉

And if you have that many dubloons ... Why would you care about the teleportcost to unload your chest (10k dubloons) and teleport your far away stash for what? 20 dubloons maybe?

• Like 1