Game-Labs Forum

Patch 26. Spanish Frigate Diana, BR rebalance - Diana is a timed reward.

admin

just had the most stupid idea ever

what IF boarding wouldn't be a "to the end" affair ?

what IF boarding would last only 4 turns then "disengage" is automatic ( player can still use prep for disengage in 2 turns, 1 turn for axes )

what IF same ship couldn't be boarded by anyone during 60 seconds after the disengage

i mean... pressure is on the "attacker" so he better take the enemy deck with momentum, force and fast...

shrugs

1 minute ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

just had the most stupid idea ever

what IF boarding wouldn't be a "to the end" affair ?

what IF boarding would last only 4 turns then "disengage" is automatic ( player can still use prep for disengage 2 turns, 1 turn for axes )

what IF same ship couldn't be boarded by anyone during 60 seconds after the disengage

i mean... pressure is on the "attacker" so he better take the enemy deck with momentum, force and fast...

shrugs

You'd really be putting game play over RL with that one.  Boarding was often the end of the battle for both sides, not just the victor.  Wouldn't we all just brace for the 4 turns, then?

• Like 2

Why not use collision damage ( which I believe you already have coded) to remove hugging?  The very common method of putting your 5/6th rate into the bow of the 4/3rd rate could be easily eliminated by making it cause massive damage.  The more nuanced “side hugging” should still be technicall possible but rubbing up against a much larger ship would open up gaps in the seams of the planking.  That should cause leaks.   

I think you have the means already to prevent small ships coming so near to large (unless they want to take the risk) by using this method.  You can remove the “ramming meta” which occurred last time by making the ship tonnage delta VERY curved.  I.E.- two 3rd rates rubbing wont cause any damage to either (like currently).  This will easily (and without further coding) fix the hugging problem.  

Stern camping is a bit harder.  But I’ve always thought small caliber guns did slightly too much damage on larger vessel sterns. 

I think it’s worth a quick test @admin before you devote a huge amount of time and effort to passive musketry.  

• Like 2

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

You'd really be putting game play over RL with that one.  Boarding was often the end of the battle for both sides, not just the victor.  Wouldn't we all just brace for the 4 turns, then?

Yes. Correct.

Very often the boarding was not decisive though, but let's not go that avenue ( some boarding actions lasted well over half a dozen hours and 12 attempts )

I am focused on the gamey part of boarding - preparation, engagement, resolution.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Crow said:

So now.....After a whole 24 hour testing.🙄

We are left with the one true raider in the game as one of the weakest ships in the game 'Le Nerfed'.

All the crew mods have been nerfed.

Cramped bonuses nerfed.

Extra crew trim nerfed.

All anti-boarding mods have been buffed. 

AI has been buffed to silly levels. (Rear admirals for Le Nerfed and Herc).

The reinforcement zones remain huge.

However @admin this will make no difference to the players crying the loudest.

They have constantly failed to adapt or even try to change their tactics.

They are poor players and you cant fix poor players with 24 hour hot-fixes.

The boarding game requires them, to put thought an effort into how to defend against it and use mods, which they simply wont do.

They will continue to cry. 😭😭😭

I just hope for the sake of the game you stop wiping their tears.

Good .. Perhaps we will see the "Le Nerfed" less now and ppl will go raiding in other ships as well coz before more than half was Requins .. why? well no matter how retarded you were,  you could always kill someone and get away with it .. atleast in front of KPR coz nobody would be able to catch you if you're in a Req . Plus if you did manage to screw up and get killed oh well you haven't lost anything . 
@admin Le Requin and Herc redeemables should be an un-tradable Permit that you then have to go and craft the ship yourself .. and for ppl who want to redeem it in ports that have no infrastructure ok you can give the option to buy a resource package for 20PvP marks (like the other ships can be crafted for PvP marks)

We see a lot of ppl coming to die every single day basicly trolling and not caring if they lose the ship coz they can have another one for free. It's become coward's ships

Edited by John Sheppard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crow said:

We are left with the one true raider in the game as one of the weakest ships in the game 'Le Nerfed'.

Cramped bonuses nerfed.

Extra crew trim nerfed.

The boarding game requires them, to put thought an effort into how to defend against it and use mods, which they simply wont do.

LRQ was not touched. It is still one of the best light ships in game. And the best raider together with Prince. We dont plan to change LRQ stats. 

Crew bonuses needed to go down there was not point to wait - 55% bonus for light ships was too big. Upgrade changes will only settle down once port ui patch hits (where player wont be able to stack similar group upgrades any longer). Only then we will see.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Sorry Sir,

Requin-Hercules side to side is usually a suicide for the Requin.

The fact a requin is carro fitted means that having a medium/longs fitted Hercules you'll want distance, kiting (downwind) working him.
The same done (usually better from upwind in this case) always as a requin long fitted vs a carro one: the longs one will try to keep distance and kite the carro hitting him without being (almost) hit.

A medium/longs Hercules has a huge edge over medium/longs Requin; broadside weight, thickenss and armor HP speak clearly.

A carro fitted Hercules simply dismantles a Requin, any. And really fast.

What's counter-intuitive, fighting a Requin, is that you have and you want to stay downwind; so keeping a speed advantage to extend as needed and to counter any push to board or (now) the risk being slowed down.
Now the previously preferred boarder position (downwind) is still preferred by requins (being able to push and especially to ban the downwind escape route to squarerigged) but not anymore needed by other squarerigged: this, IMO, is the real boarding tactic change. But for squarerigged boarders, not the Requin.

I understand the annoying situation the requin kept upwind, if damaged, will simply turn to wind and farewell you.
Still the first point in any battle (= survive) is easily attainable.
If you want to kill her... you have to trick the requin captain into being overconfident, making mistakes, or getting abruptly hard hit so to be unable to escape. Still it's your choise to risk to kill him: you can always (almost) save yours.

Someway this remembers the Renomee-Surprise matches (last for me is quite old): the "problem" of opposite profiles.
Aside big errors, big gear gap or sizable skill difference, rarely a Surp could catch a similar Renomee turning downwind to 135°... as a Renomee had zero chances to catch Surprise turning upwind.

So similar choises: the Renomee, if wanted to be keep the escape route open, often could prefer the downwind side... as Surprise simply always the upwind one (both nicely remembering the French and British standard tactics of the time respectively).

Oh dont get me wrong

Before the 8 kts boarding i would have taken a herc over requin any time because you could actually turn, and possibly even tack. But with the boarding madness where you couldnt even turn beam reach without getting boarded, not so much.

Also the height difference of the hull / guns of herc v requin would most likely result in requins winning hugging engagements.

Im glad its sorted out now. It did limit gameplay severely.

• Like 7

@admin, thanks for the prompt fix. I agree with you, that if there was an easy way to code the boarding so we can manual sail, fire, (and manual sail away to disengage), that would be neat. But also understand that there are more important priorities. I think you've made a good compromise by reducing boarding speed back to 3.5 but keeping everything else. This should help (at least a little) those who are/were unable to deal with hull hugging and stern raking.

1 hour ago, Crow said:

Cramped bonuses nerfed.

Extra crew trim nerfed.

Git gud m8? <_<

I don't think its 'not wanting to adapt' as much as it is/was 'not wanting to play "Boarding Action" vs "Naval Action."'   Also, I feel if you're sailing a Le Requin and can't board your enemy at 3.5kn, you should learn to manual sail said Requin so that you can decelerate fast enough to pull your enemy. Having sailed Requin a bit, and sunk a number of them, I can truly say it is a ship that take almost no skill to hunt with, even after all the 'nerfs' to it. Did we really want to see a mechanic that lets it board even easier?

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, William Death said:

Git gud m8? <_<

I don't think its 'not wanting to adapt' as much as it is/was 'not wanting to play "Boarding Action" vs "Naval Action."'   Also, I feel if you're sailing a Le Requin and can't board your enemy at 3.5kn, you should learn to manual sail said Requin so that you can decelerate fast enough to pull your enemy. Having sailed Requin a bit, and sunk a number of them, I can truly say it is a ship that take almost no skill to hunt with, even after all the 'nerfs' to it. Did we really want to see a mechanic that lets it board even easier?

Unfortunatley you completly misread my post and as such what you say makes no sense at all.

My post was aimed at the crying butt hurt vets who can't handle boarders or the current temporary boarding mechanic.

I do just fine thanks, shooting or boarding with very modest mods.

33 minutes ago, admin said:

LRQ was not touched. It is still one of the best light ships in game. And the best raider together with Prince. We dont plan to change LRQ stats. 

Crew bonuses needed to go down there was not point to wait - 55% bonus for light ships was too big. Upgrade changes will only settle down once port ui patch hits (where player wont be able to stack similar group upgrades any longer). Only then we will see.

It looks a bit weird seeing a counter hotfix after barely 24 hours.
The lobby of gunnery and mast sniping duels with "duelist" shiny fitting moved its weight.

Anyhow we can adapt. Contrary to them apparently.

But @Crow is right: Barricade got buffed (from 0.30 to 0.40 = +33%) and boarder crew (so strenght in a boarding ship like LRQ) got nerfed by (not speaking about "top crowded", but a medium crewed requin - hammocks book and perm - dropped from 337 to 281=) -17+%. So de facto she is nerfed.
Especially granted part of buff/nerf were in place imagining an easier (8 kts top speed) boarding... that's again back to 3.5 (never doing some smoother changes? like testing at 6... even if... really, which ship aside PB 1st rates slow down regularly so much in OW combat?).
BTW we get back the crappy realism of... pushing ships against the wind to stop them. We lived that for YEARS, we'll live with that again.

Surely this will end being an ADVANTAGE TO HUGGERS: they could put Barricade and vs an already decrewed SoL, the latter will get even lower chances to (if ever) to kill them with a board (indeed in this case it could be called "rageboard").

So only pro for LRQ (and boarders) is that they can board with same crew (DD nerf - at least). But having lost from 15 to 35% of crew... it's even worst: a 362manned Requin was able to insta-board a Surp even with DD... now still can BUT... LRQ will board with 250+ crew and not with 350+...).

So again: this is a nerf in particular to a ship (do not hide. We all know the OUTRAGE was AGAINST ONE SHIP)... because nerfing boarding (and/or crew) damages all boarders, and obviously a lot those ships that are mainly (or only) boarders, like LGV Refit or LRQ (are we really imaging LRQ doing a gunnery duel against anything bigger than a Prince or another LRQ?).

Again. We will adapt and it's fine looking at the desperate crying in forums. They were indeed really funny.

BUT do not hide behind a finger.

LRQ was nerfed in her profile (especially downwind); fine.
She got nerfed hitting Rig Refits (but I still think nerfing mods is surely a good thing).
She got nerfed (hard) on her crew potential (and again: this is fine and understandable).

So LRQ got touched. More and faster than any meta in YEARS.

Note: (again) no whining here. Only facts. Adapting is part of patched MMOs.

Just now, Coraline Vodka said:

Hammocks got changed for all ships not just your precious

Mate. She's not my precious. And as I pointed, no whining. I already said too that mods (and crew) nerfs are fine to me. Honestly in any case.

I think you can read what I wrote: nerfing hammocks and crew... hits... those USING them.
Who? boarders.
Honestly: has LRQ other uses aside a boarder?

Example: a nerf (hard - same proportion of the above) to precision of guns... will be applied to ALL guns so to ALL ships. Right.
But which "meta" of fitting will be hurted more? a carro close quarter brawler or a longs long range mast sniper?

It's not difficult to understand.

As I said. This was to underline: do not say LRQ is not nerfed. She is, period.
Is it fine? PoV. For me... nothing change. I'd like to see the same swift nerfs hitting other meta too... because I still remember the Wasa Stardestroyers roaming for like 9 months.

Will I live with that? for sure.

12 minutes ago, Flash Jack said:

Haha!

Death who are you kiddng??

You sail with Cart/AOS/as a minimum!

You have no right to talk how you find a ship for hunting. You and others have too many top mods to even comment and this is why the game is in this mess for normal non super modded players.

Although I diagree with Crow, he was telling the Devs not to get directed by the forum elite all the time. 

The game needs balance for normal players.

Have to agree, changes should be made weighing up all sides and looking at data.

You can ask 10 people about the same thing and most probably all answers are different due to point of view.

Balance i think must be hardest thing to achieve in any game.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The great irony here is that hugging and stern camping are only gripes for people who want to sail alone in large ships and sail in straight lines. To massively change mechanics to appease these players, to the detriment of ship variety and other play styles, is a problem that shouldn’t be fixed.

I’m all for walking back the changes made yesterday with a tweak, say max speed of 5 knots, with a relative vector of say 7 knots, and testing this for a while. The biggest issue I saw yesterday was that there would eventually be a huge creep towards sailing the largest ship possible crew wise for any particular activity. For example, taking anything other than an Ocean to grind hostility is a liability because only distance can protect any other ship in the battle. So we will immediately see Ocean spam for any activity needing first rates.

And on the issue of appeasing the non-Requin-lovers, I think the changes to crew mods should also be walked back, but balanced by moving Requin to a fifth rate. (And then ban all DLC ships from port battles.)

The entire patch yesterday was a big let down for anyone wanting to sail smaller ships and keep diversity of ships in the game, and a huge boon to the casuals who just want to sail the largest ship they can crew. I think this is the wrong direction for the game and encourages only a single play style.

Perhaps an answer for RvR would be to make all newly introduced ships undergo "sea trials" for a period of say 2-3 months so can be fully evaluated.  During this time the ship would not be able to take part in National aggressions (port battles) while the impact of ship, tweaking, BR and examination of data is done and adjusted.

I just think to totally exclude a ship from RvR would be wrong, but a period of testing before it can enter RvR perhaps would be a good compromise.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Yes. Correct.

Very often the boarding was not decisive though, but let's not go that avenue ( some boarding actions lasted well over half a dozen hours and 12 attempts )

I am focused on the gamey part of boarding - preparation, engagement, resolution.

I think prep for boarding is fine.  Actually quite realistic, and its up to the defender to think of prepping himself. 

I'm still a strong believer that you should be stopped to initiate boarding, but I concede that in this game, everything happens with more speed.  3.5 is more than enough there.  We should consider that there are suggestions to add rubbing damage to stop hugging.  Since boarding is also hugging, this needs to be considered as a singular event. 

For engagement, I really liked an earlier idea that we stop players from changing boarding orders while the timer counts down.  Change it to a 5 second timer and no changing. The concept that you proposed for an automatic disengage is interesting.  If you're not overpowering enough, your victim can break away.  Here, I would also like to see lower deck guns continue to fire (if you have them).  In addition, other ships should be able to pile into the boarding melee.  Maybe the original players of the action control all crews on their side (trust issues).

Resolution-wise, what about some form of boarding shock if the attacking ship gets a lot of casualties? 

I still think the idea of changing the boarding was fine, because until there are no muskets in battle apart from boarding, you can´t keep someone from hugging, if he wants to.

My idea would be to make boarding possible for two separate cases:

1. At speed up to say 8-10kn, but only with a difference of say 1-1.5kn, and maybe only at certain angles (broadside-broadside would be the ideal showcase).

This way huggers could be punished, without losing realism, because a speed difference of 4kn or higher in real life would have just caused the ropes to snap, or the brackets to break when the ships moved on (bc they would not take down sails in an instant). But when your relative speed is quite close, boarding may actually be possible.

2. Rules as they are now: At low speed of about 3.5kn, but with a larger difference in speed allowed.

The other changes are fine to me, bc Requinn was just massively overcrewed for its unlimited range on OW. Still, moving it to 5th rates would´ve been fine with me aswell...

Another issue I have is with determined defender: Either you make it useful, as it was with 30% crew difference, and maybe nerf it down to 15-20%, if that´s necessary (which it wasn´t imo), or you delete it as a whole, but the way it is now, it´s just useless.

Determined defender should protect you from getting boarded, and it did effectively, but this efficiency got removed entirely.

Balancing with a fourty ton truck instead of a slight push becomes annoying at times...

Edited by Gott365
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I think prep for boarding is fine.  Actually quite realistic, and its up to the defender to think of prepping himself. 

I'm still a strong believer that you should be stopped to initiate boarding, but I concede that in this game, everything happens with more speed.  3.5 is more than enough there.  We should consider that there are suggestions to add rubbing damage to stop hugging.  Since boarding is also hugging, this needs to be considered as a singular event. 

For engagement, I really liked an earlier idea that we stop players from changing boarding orders while the timer counts down.  Change it to a 5 second timer and no changing. The concept that you proposed for an automatic disengage is interesting.  If you're not overpowering enough, your victim can break away.  Here, I would also like to see lower deck guns continue to fire (if you have them).  In addition, other ships should be able to pile into the boarding melee.  Maybe the original players of the action control all crews on their side (trust issues).

Resolution-wise, what about some form of boarding shock if the attacking ship gets a lot of casualties? 

3.5 kts has been always way too slow... granted the ludicrous speed and manouvrability of our ships.

Probably 8 kts was a bit too high. But with 3.5 with end up again with the same push to the wind as only way to stop a ship. Realism?
On the other hand not so high. Real SoL fought often around 4 kts... and boarded eachother in a dim.
Our heavy 1st rate combat speed is... 8 kts.

And then discussing again collision damages. I am quite good at manouvering, so I do not fear heavy collision damages. Even "friendly fire": awareness and reaction should matter.

BUT one of the two: or I can board side to side even on speed just hugging the enemy ship, and a bad manouver could be dangerous for my hull... OR I have to be able to push and stop him. Otherwise, easier cancelling boarding altogether.

Ahhh, right. You can board after demasting the enemy... what's the point boarding an already demasted enemy? Make him auto-surrender.

The funny part is the call for realism (or physics).
The AC-RA = Alternate Current - Realism Argument.

Realism should mean
That running full sails in battle to be suicide.
That tacking into the wind will require a minimum 5 minutes even on a nimble frigate.
That maximum speed of any ship (yes, schooner too) to be approx at broad reach.
That closing wind to 80° would stop (no, not slow down - STOP) any square rigged ship.
That even thinking to "aim" to masts, from a rolling deck of a full speed ship against another one, should be plain stupid.

Etc... Etc... Etc...  

Forgot: that if you have been dismantled in combat.... you cannot repair to full = no repairs in combat.
That rum, even if very good, dont revive the deads.
Nor you can refit a smashed ship out of combat in OW either.
Nor you can teleport new crew from Enterprise.

I'm on for this kind of full realism.
And you? (in general the veteran player base = the usual whiners)

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

24 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

3.5 kts has been always way too slow... granted the ludicrous speed and manouvrability of our ships.

Probably 8 kts was a bit too high. But with 3.5 with end up again with the same push to the wind as only way to stop a ship. Realism?
On the other hand not so high. Real SoL fought often around 4 kts... and boarded eachother in a dim.
Our heavy 1st rate combat speed is... 8 kts.

And then discussing again collision damages. I am quite good at manouvering, so I do not fear heavy collision damages. Even "friendly fire": awareness and reaction should matter.

BUT one of the two: or I can board side to side even on speed just hugging the enemy ship, and a bad manouver could be dangerous for my hull... OR I have to be able to push and stop him. Otherwise, easier cancelling boarding altogether.

Ahhh, right. You can board after demasting the enemy... what's the point boarding an already demasted enemy? Make him auto-surrender.

The funny part is the call for realism (or physics).
The AC-RA = Alternate Current - Realism Argument.

Realism should mean
That running full sails in battle to be suicide.
That tacking into the wind will require a minimum 5 minutes even on a nimble frigate.
That maximum speed of any ship (yes, schooner too) to be approx at broad reach.
That closing wind to 80° would stop (no, not slow down - STOP) any square rigged ship.
That even thinking to "aim" to masts, from a rolling deck of a full speed ship against another one, should be plain stupid.

Etc... Etc... Etc...  

Things can't be total realism, and at the same time not total arcade so things have to be represented via balancing. 

I think 8 knts was to high but at same time 3.5 knts to low :D,  perhaps increase by -2 knts and test again perhaps.

Determined defender perhaps again go somewhere in middle ground to 10-15%, as in current form is quite poor.

Balancing is one of hardest things in any game I think for a dev,  as most players will respond according to their viewpoint and playstyle.  Although when changes come they seem often to be a sledgehammer change rather than a tweak lol. Maybe devs just trying extremes and see where a good middle ground could be though.

Edited by Dibbler

2 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Things can't be total realism, and at the same time not total arcade so things have to be represented via balancing. 

I think 8 knts was to high but at same time 3.5 knts to low :D,  perhaps increase by -2 knts and test again perhaps.

Determined defender perhaps again go somewhere in middle ground to 10-15%, as in current form is quite poor.

Balancing is one of hardest things in any game I think for a dev,  as most players will respond according to their viewpoint and playstyle.  Although when changes come they seem often to be a sledgehammer change rather than a tweak lol. Maybe devs just trying extremes and see where a good middle ground could be though.

You know. I'm marked with being requin-only user and hard defender. So anything I write is twisted.

But indeed I always proposed reasonble nerfs to her (and being on for any mod rework/nerf, also those hitting the Requin). As I always said boarding game needs a total revamp.

I personally see far worst unbalances and unrealism in mast sniping, infinite repairs crap and frigates hunting 1st rates, than a full boarding ship aiming to board and kill a similar sized and crewed ship that is not prepared nor geared for a boarding battle; the unreal part is having to push into the wind the enemy ship, not that a boarding ship (pirates anyone? super-over-crewed schooner used by pirates anyone?) if getting in the melee will easily kill the less crewed (sheer numbers), badly lead (no player experience), untrained (no marines, no books) and under equipped (musket book...) ship.

As you said: PoV.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

You know. I'm marked with being requin-only user and hard defender. So anything I write is twisted.

But indeed I always proposed reasonble nerfs to her (and being on for any mod rework/nerf, also those hitting the Requin). As I always said boarding game needs a total revamp.

I personally see far worst unbalances and unrealism in mast sniping, infinite repairs crap and frigates hunting 1st rates, than a full boarding ship aiming to board and kill a similar sized and crewed ship that is not prepared nor geared for a boarding battle; the unreal part is having to push into the wind the enemy ship, not that a boarding ship (pirates anyone? super-over-crewed schooner used by pirates anyone?) if getting in the melee will easily kill the less crewed (sheer numbers), badly lead (no player experience), untrained (no marines, no books) and under equipped (musket book...) ship.

As you said: PoV.

Yes Pov.

Also has to be something for everyone in a game, reality ofc should be base for things ingame  but by the same thinking you wouldn't see  so many ships if we went total realism. Don't get me started on mast sniping lol :D, but isn't easy as it looks, those guys have just practiced and practiced.

Has to be game vs reality compromise in all area's, and ofc balance.

Nothing wrong with you defending req though, just happy the crew stack bonuses are out of the fantasy area :D.  What will all the Hobbits do now, back to being tossed for sport in local taverns .

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1