Game-Labs Forum

Patch 26. Spanish Frigate Diana, BR rebalance - Diana is a timed reward.

admin

29 minutes ago, Sir Malachy Karrde said:

You sir are mistaken. Additionally, the US navy doesn't always publicize when they take a ship out to sea, even the famous ones. You can believe what you wish, I've nothing to prove to a bunch of forum idiots who haven't served. There are videos of half a dozen of her cruises on YouTube. One of them even has me in it :) I'm still in the Navy reserves and hold the rank of Commander to this day. I'll have my 25 years in (8 active duty, 17 reserves) next fall and intend to retire then. 

For the guy who said something about me being disrespectful toward the British navy, I did not mean to come off that way. I was merely pointing out that during the 1800s, the admiralty resisted change and were slow on the uptake when it came to new innovations. I personally have quite a lot of respect for the Royal Navy, both when it was the most powerful navy afloat to modern times. One of my uncles served as a heleicopter pilot for the RN actually. 

Alright, let's see those videos then.

You're blowing smoke up people's asses. Connie only leaves the docks for the turnaround cruises, once a year. She's towed out and back. When she actually sails under her own power it's a HUGE DEAL and they only put up very limited canvas for a very short time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

32-gun British frigate HMS Ambuscade and the French 24-gun corvette Bayonnaise

As the frigate sailed on the port side of the corvette on a parallel course, overtaking her, Bayonnaise backed sail and turned hard to port, ramming Ambuscade. The bowsprit of Bayonnaise cut down Ambuscade 's mizzen, wounding part of the crew standing on the poop deck, and entangling the two ships.

1280px-Bayonnaise_vs_Embuscade_mg_9452.j

Ambuscade_vs_Bayonnaise-Ozanne-1.jpg

Makes my point.  Bayonnoise backed sails, turned and rammed...coming to a complete stop.  THEN boarded.  Both ships were severely damaged aloft.  Had anybody else come along, they would have been easy meat.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sir Malachy Karrde said:

You sir are mistaken. Additionally, the US navy doesn't always publicize when they take a ship out to sea, even the famous ones. You can believe what you wish, I've nothing to prove to a bunch of forum idiots who haven't served. There are videos of half a dozen of her cruises on YouTube. One of them even has me in it :) I'm still in the Navy reserves and hold the rank of Commander to this day. I'll have my 25 years in (8 active duty, 17 reserves) next fall and intend to retire then. 

You've made a mistake... Move on and never speak of it again.

And don't' call me or anyone else an idiot again.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Makes my point.  Bayonnoise backed sails, turned and rammed...coming to a complete stop.  THEN boarded.  Both ships were severely damaged aloft.  Had anybody else come along, they would have been easy meat.

On top other than in-game I doubt that naval engagements were fought at full ship speed.

• Like 3

I'm excited to test out the new changes. My predictions:

4th-3rd rates will reign supreme in OW. Maybe seeing more boarding Pavels 

Requin will still be rage boarding bigger ships. Due to its extreme acceleration/declaration it will decide when it wants to get boarded. 

6th rate players will cry loudly, move to the shallows for PvP and get dominated by Hercules. 

Barricades will be a must-have book for the OW hunter

Lets see how this goes 😀

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

I'm excited to test out the new changes. My predictions:

4th-3rd rates will reign supreme in OW. Maybe seeing more boarding Pavels 

Requin will still be rage boarding bigger ships. Due to its extreme acceleration/declaration it will decide when it wants to get boarded. 

6th rate players will cry loudly, move to the shallows for PvP and get dominated by Hercules. 

Barricades will be a must-have book for the OW hunter

Lets see how this goes 😀

This and a lot more speed aggies, because of that big crew compliment.

• Like 2

I would rather see the binary nature of boarding addressed than have triggering boarding easier. Going from sailing along next to each other to sails dropped full stop instantly isn't a realistic solution.

The crew don't wait till both ships are completely lashed together to start fighting. Perhaps have ships in close proximity to each other up a small window to the right of the screen that allows some boarding commands while the two ships are still manouvering and sailing. For instance musket fire and fire deck guns (swivels) can be used any time the enemy is near, if crew are in boarding and enough prep is available. Grenades is possible at extremely close range, and attack requires the two to be lashed together. 

Some boarding commands can be tweaked, for instance "musket volley" can consume prep and damage crew constantly while active. Same with grenades, while "fire deck guns" would depend on the actual deck gun reload state.

• Like 6

On 9/16/2018 at 1:30 AM, William Death said:

Regarding Diana, its a beautiful model, and I'm enjoying sailing it. Seems fairly balanced.

9B5D5B8A858C57594A643566AB6BCC4DD22E38F1

9A07757E66FB4A19571051038038EDE9445C6701

There were some really pretty sunsets this evening :) 

I do have one question though, what are these objects below the gunports? Amidships, there are some square holes that appear to be made of metal. I think they'd be too narrow to work for sweeps? And what about the wood blocks with the horseshoe-shaped metal pieces on them? Are those for sweeps? Or are they loopholes for muskets? I've never heard of that before but then I've never researched it either. 

Anyone who knows, I have a curious cat who would also like you to share! :D

813FDAB197598939945EFD162BE199B40C76FB5E

Am just reposting this because...DAMN!! THOSE SUNSETS (AND SUNRISES)!

This is one of the many things that make this game so immerssive!!

I actually have a couple of good screenshots on my phone's and computer as a backdrop! I never knew it would possible to actually sail inside of oil painting! True art! 

***Rant over***

Also William death, I know what those are on the Diana.....bring your ship to la tortue and I'll show you. Oh but I can show you if you have cannons or carros (ship must be empty) 😀😜

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

Kinda like  @William Death point about hull speed - it is a theoretical maximum, you rarely get conditions to even get close to it. Most ships are sailing faster than the constant in game wind should allow anyway. 

We really need more incentives for folks to actually fight at battle sails like they did in RL.  That is why I keep suggestion a fix to the repairs.  You can't do any repairs unless your going battle sails or slower.  As soon as you kick it into full sails it stops repairs.   This would make folks choose wisely when to repair and have to disengage to do them instead of going full sails in a running chase while constantly repairing sails every 12 mins so you can't slow them down.

4 hours ago, Intrepido said:

I had to ask because the old and annoying sir texas sir was no longer asking the same over and over.

RL been really busy for me this past month with the passing of my mom and helping dad get every thing worked out, but hay I been trying to get my two cents still in there when I can.  Some one got to try to get paints back after all.....lol

3 hours ago, Intrepido said:

What we need is musket fire from decks so a small ship cant do so much damage to line ships from stern rakes or sailing in close paralel, in front or behind. 

Many captains dont want to engage in a boarding because other ships will come closer and sink him.

I still want to test the musket thing out with say a range of 50m or something too.

That and we should be able to fire our guns while in boarding to give even more risk of a small ship and big ship in boarding.

• Like 5

I will answer to this patch announcement as it would be a player driven suggestion. I support suggestions that add flavor to the meal. Currently the naval battles we have are the curry we all love, but certainly everybody gets not enough battles. 

This announcement favors a rageboarding mechanic as it would be more historical than what we have. Sadly history is not made to provide us fun nowadays. So it is here too. Battles will become monotonic. 

Therefor I disagree with it. Fun before historical correctness. 

This game has many flaws that need proper fixing. The battle instances are non of them. 

Honestly.

Let's wait some days worth of battle post hotfix.

- Let's see the speed difference would be needed to start the boarding (too high? too low?)

- let's see boarding pull timing (same, longer, shorter?)

- let's see if any speed limit to boarding pull start (well reasonable IMO)

- let's see the reworked DD + new barricade (I hope not super buffed: it already makes another same sized ship simply impossible to beat in boarding. Even more buffed it'll risk to keep the small sterncampers able to withstanding a big fat ship boarding with limited risks)

- let's look too new rewards too.

Then, only then, we'll be able to add any meaningful suggestion/feedback.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, admin said:

The situation you provide is probably not possible in reality given modestly competent captains in black ships

1) black ships could fight and not run.
2) black ships could actually focus fire and remove most sails from the red one.
3) black ships could focus fire and just sink the  red ship (Enough damage to sails and structure will slow it down a lot).

The situation you draw is possible only if black ships sail without shooting, turning or coordinating, because otherwise i do not see a situation where a red ship can get close to a black one sailing in such tight formation.

frigates would be more useful in lineship fights

1 black ships are not in the position to decide if they fight. 

2 attacking sails of red upwind ships has no real effect against good captains. With multiple reps the windward ship cannot loose the wind unless he is stupid. The leeward ship will run out of chain before he can take wind. 

3 I don't think I need to point out why it is IMPOSSIBLE for the black ships to sink the windward red ships.

The one great thing in this game is how well and realistic you can use wind. I am very surprised by your statement there since in my oppinion you are 100% wrong in everything you said. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

1 black ships are not in the position to decide if they fight. 

2 attacking sails of red upwind ships has no real effect against good captains. With multiple reps the windward ship cannot loose the wind unless he is stupid. The leeward ship will run out of chain before he can take wind. 

3 I don't think I need to point out why it is IMPOSSIBLE for the black ships to sink the windward red ships.

The one great thing in this game is how well and realistic you can use wind. I am very surprised by your statement there since in my oppinion you are 100% wrong in everything you said. 

The situation provided by the picture has only one outcome with higher speed boarding and without higher speed boarding. Straggling black ship will be slowed down and destroyed, if no action is taken by the black fleet. Straggling black ship can be pushed left into the wind and boarded, straggling black ship can have sails removed where red chaser will trade enemy sails for his HP, or just lower black ship structure. There is no positive outcome for the straggling black ship if black fleet does not defend. So why pro-long the struggle?

Anyways. this boarding change is experimental. We believe that it might increase the dynamics in battle and give fast frigates a better role + will solve hugging issues against which heavy ships have no defense currently.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

It wont solve hugging issues. As I said before, going into boarding is many times the last wish for many captains in a fleet formation, because it make your ship very vulnerable to other enemy ships.

Don't forget that soon both ships in boarding get crew dmg when fired upon. So no more 1 boards other shoot grape.

Furthermore a lot of captains lack aggressiveness which in many cases could win the day. But I agree sailing downwind is more convenient.^^

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It wont solve hugging issues. As I said before, going into boarding is many times the last wish for many captains in a fleet formation, because it make your ship very vulnerable to other enemy ships.

The expected result from the change is positive. If it is bad for battle dynamics it will be immediately obvious. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Don't forget that soon both ships in boarding get crew dmg when fired upon. So no more 1 boards other shoot grape.

Furthermore a lot of captains lack aggressiveness which in many cases could win the day. But I agree sailing downwind is more convenient.^^

He said they both take rake damage.  I assume you can still fill them with balls to sink it.  I hope they look into allowing us to fire cannons in boarding.  Lower deck of the big ship can really screw over a small lightly built ship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Dont forget that while boarding your ship is also the best target for multiple broadsides from the enemy.

You guys always look only at the pb side of things. Furthermore ball dmg will still crew dmg your own mate. On top a surrounded ship swarmed in a big blob will sink anyway.

A ship in a gank will most likely sink anyway.

Maybe pb commanders should adept?

Maybe boarding axes could get a disengage buff?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I look too from the perspective of a big fleet engagement.

This will help for 2vs1 engagements, but imo, as opposed to admin claims, it wont solve hugging for bigger battles.

There is no hugging in bigger battles. That are fights yardarm to yardarm, massive poundings. What should be looked at is thickness meta + angle meta. To make 100-150m fights valid.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3