Game-Labs Forum

There is NO such thing as GANKING

14 hours ago, Fargo said:

There is: People pick and choosing only favourable fights, while the game allows them to escape nearly every situation at any time.

Ofcourse the actual problem is not people outnumbering other people. This is a sandbox, and a war game. War is all about getting advantages. The problem is having no chance to do anything against fast ships picking weak targets even very close in your capital area, for example with a local coastguard.

There are safezones now because the coastguard, that always was very active and fun gameplay, was unable to defend the capital area, and sadly nobody analysed the issues:

1) No objectives players would fight/take risks for. 

2) Imbalanced weak fir ships not capable of combat, basically made for running. There is absolutely no point to have such ships in a game like this.

3) Timer based RoE not allowing blockades, or to intercept ships that instead are able to sail right through you. Also allowing defensive tagging. Straight buff for speed.

4) Mechanics allowing fast ships to escape very easily, even if they already got in close combat. Especially a repair system allowing repair back to 100% without any real drawback.

5) Speedcap. (Idk if its still effecting the game. If it isnt, why is it still there?!) Allows best sailing profiles to become 100% uncatchable.

Even a fast ship should give you a very hard time to get out of combat once it got close range. Speed is powerful already in the OW and for controlling an engagement, thats realistic and fine. That it also allows you to get out of actual combat that easily makes it too powerful and results in annoying and stupid gameplay, whatever you want to call it.

You call it stupid gameplay because it does not suit you.

Mortimer is besieged every day by hunters mission jumping etc. Many of them ex pirate players who want easy fights and get them. Most of them using ALTS to spy on the weak.

That's crap play. Thats abuse. I agree.

But:

Solo hunting and in groups with weak fast ships is an art.

I have seen plenty of fast ships sunk. I have sunk in many of them.

It's all about knowing when to run and when to fight. It's a playstyle which is closer to history than 90% of the gameplay on offer each night.

You go solo hunting in a fat slow ship.

See how far you get.

If you like fleet battles that's cool. I dont.

Im a pirate.

I like to sail vast distances. (Weird I know).

I like the hunt.

I like the escape when outnumbered and I sink when caught.

It's all good....it's the roleplayer in me.

Edited by Crow
  • Like 1

Just now, Crow said:

That's fine. It makes no sense however.

Its your opinion of how you like to play.

Thats an analysis why gameplay sucks.

Good gameplay and realism, thats the overall goal, not just my opinion...

And if your opinion is that you dont care about anything else but hunting, you seriously shouldnt post here. 

9 hours ago, Crow said:

Ok so we all get a bit fed up with unbalance atm but I want to try and stop a cancer in this game.

There is NO such thing as GANKING!!!!

Being, ambushed, tricked, outnumbered 100 to 1, picked on, hunted, robbed,  Chased, jumped while in a mission is all:

OK!!!!! ITS NORMAL LIFE!!!@

What is not normal is equal fights.

You may have problems or things you don't like but stop acting like crying noobs and calling everything a GANK.

It was and is normal in the military to out number or out tech your enemy and pirates hardly ever fought on equal terms.

Get smarter.

If you sail alone, sail a fast ship like me and RUN.

If you sail in a group, then attack smaller groups.

And for God's sake leave Mortimer and KPR and see the world.

You can only get sunk.

Stop crying GANK it's become an obsession of fairness in an unfair world.

You're just ridiculous... Comparing a game to war, is lame. Maybe you think you're a real warrior behind your computer, but you aren't.

Games, if they have to be compared to something, should be compared to sport. Electronic competition isn't called "Electronic war", it's called "Electronic sport", for a reason, it's that it should be played in the same spirit of fairness as in sport, in a display of skill between players.

Games should be about skill, not about zerg. There's no skill in that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crow said:

I have used fast snow,

Prince for a bit ( couldn't get on with it?)

Surprise for a while.

Endymion for a while.

Recently the herc and the xebec although they need to tone these two down imo.

The xebec is too strong. It's speed, cannons and crew are fine but it's armour and such should be more like the Prince and it would be better as a 5th rate.

The herc is fast, strong and powerful. Needs toning down and maybe not a shallow ship.

In general though a fast in out ship. 

I have the Requin and i can say there is nothing fine in having the fastest ship upwind , with 250 crew member or more and still have 32pd carronades.  In comparison with the others 5th rates only the Niagara have 32pd carronades if i am not mistaken ( Do you want to compare the Niagara with the Requin?). It is too much for a ship that can sail in the Bahamas. The guns needs to be nerf to something around 24 pd carronades or 18 pd carronades. 

And yes i agree with you about the Herc. Is so fckn stupid a Herc to be the only shallow water frigate in game. It haves a more powerful broadside in comparison with the cerberus but is BR is a joke. This 2 ships are killing the game atm.

Well if you enjoy "outsmarting" your enemy that's a valid style of gameplay. Nontheless you only gank then. Most people will never do anything else and that's fine. Good thing is there are still people who cherish a close fight of equal skill. If I'd beat this bitch @HachiRoku in a duel and not get a single mark for it, thats worth more than farming 100 marks by slaughtering noobs. Still - and I admit it - this is pleasing because you always win and start feeling great. People read you in combat news, see you on the leaderboard and soon you reach something like "fame" in this little community.

For some it's hit and run, for some tanking in small groups, others prefer sailing vast areas with few targets. But a gank is a gank, no matter if via skill or numbers. Basically it's the opposite of what you said: ganks are an essential part of the game, so accept that they exist instead of finding euphemisms for the same incidents.

I'd prefer the gold reward depending on dealt damage for each side aka marks and gold for the winner, gold for the defeated.

• Like 3

It's not an excuse for ganking to be a thing just because unfair fights happened in the real world. Being hunted, ambushed, or chased is all fine, but this is a video game. I can't think of many video games where it is generally accepted to be caught up an a 1v10 battle. This game has a lot of realistic elements to it, but that doesn't make it a simulation. It needs to be fun. People won't have much fun if they're forced into horribly unequal battles more frequently than they should. If people can't have fun, then you've got a bad video game.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hoarmurath said:

Games, if they have to be compared to something, should be compared to sport. Electronic competition isn't called "Electronic war", it's called "Electronic sport", for a reason, it's that it should be played in the same spirit of fairness as in sport, in a display of skill between players.

This is a sandbox offering a huge open world, not esports. Freedom, not fairness.

It is fair, but on another level. Its more then just battles. It requires skill to survive, to estimate the risk youre currently taking, to position yourself right, to predict enemy movement, to communicate and organise with hundreds of players, etc. 

When you got outnumbered, you usually made mistakes or you took a calculated risk. This ofcourse changes when the risk somehow becomes high everywhere. And only this is frustrating, loosing without making mistakes. For example beeing jumped by 10 guys next to your capital with no enemy in sight when you started the battle. Thats just extremely frustrating game design.

5 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Good thing is there are still people who cherish a close fight of equal skill.

Problem is you cant base mechanics on good will. They need to make sure that good/fun gameplay also is most effective. If running and picking weak prey is most effective, people will do so. If Hachiroku would need to start playing efficiently to make his team win, or for special rewards, he most likely would do so aswell (He wont admit^^).

If the recipients of a gank would be rewarded for fighting, instead of just being sunk (many times repeatedly), then maybe it would be ok.  But they don't.  One of the reasons for low pop.  Attitudes like yours don't help promote this game in the least.  Having the ability to do something don't make it right.  Remeber the old saying, pick on someone your own size?  It has merit, and a basis.

12 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

I dont know about you lot but I play online gaming because its competitive. Killing 1 guy with 10 friends is just boring. I would rather play ai missions that that. 

^This is exactly how I feel.

I've always wondered what the fun is of 10v1ing players. Imop the fun of online games is being competitive and using skill to win. Its so damn boring when you gank. It's like insta-win. Going into a battle knowing you are already going to win. 90% of the fun in NA is going in to a battle not knowing who will win. Most players on NA seemed to like it the easy way and just wanted a guaranteed win instead of having a actual good, fun battle.

Remember the 3v3 tournament? Now that was great PvP. Sometimes left to a final broadside to decide the win. Hopefully legends gets another chance after NA release. 

I've quit NA after like 4,5k hours because of the stupid, unrealistic revenge fleets and the unfortunate low player numbers. Beat the enemy in a good battle and have 20+ ships outside waiting on your position after battle keeping you glued to PC for hours. *Always wondered if that had anything to do with the decline in player numbers, because at one time you could log off after a battle like a normal human would do, because not everyone has 5 hours to run from a unrealistic revenge fleet.

Although I have very good memories of NA. It will always be the must fun game I've ever played. Back when the population was over 1500 with the best clan one could ask for. So many great battles. Hopefully after release NA will return to high population.  😀

Edited by Sureshot

5 hours ago, Palatinose said:

Well if you enjoy "outsmarting" your enemy that's a valid style of gameplay. Nontheless you only gank then. Most people will never do anything else and that's fine. Good thing is there are still people who cherish a close fight of equal skill. If I'd beat this bitch @HachiRoku in a duel and not get a single mark for it, thats worth more than farming 100 marks by slaughtering noobs. Still - and I admit it - this is pleasing because you always win and start feeling great. People read you in combat news, see you on the leaderboard and soon you reach something like "fame" in this little community.

For some it's hit and run, for some tanking in small groups, others prefer sailing vast areas with few targets. But a gank is a gank, no matter if via skill or numbers. Basically it's the opposite of what you said: ganks are an essential part of the game, so accept that they exist instead of finding euphemisms for the same incidents.

I'd prefer the gold reward depending on dealt damage for each side aka marks and gold for the winner, gold for the defeated.

Fair point.

Ok.

I have to admit I'm lost a bit here??

To many of you are very emotional.😥

I have said constantly that I enjoy the escape from larger fleets. How is that a ganking?

I have said that I enjoy solo hunting, how is that ganking?

I have said I sail all over the world how is that ganking?

When I attack a player I can't see his rank or if his ship is damaged how is that ganking ?

I don't whine when I am sunk.

I don't whine when jumped by a larger fleet.

I don't whine when I make mistakes and get smashed up which happens a lot.

Please don't believe that all the  names on the PvP leader board are having fair fights. They are not.

Btw I rarely get on there because I will spend a lot of time sailing and hunting rather that capital camping which is another cancer in this game but that another topic.

Being numbered,  out smarted, out fought, out sailed, sunk, is a terrible thing in a video game....It's not fair.

It's not right.

It's not just.

It's not ...oh f$#k it...... I'm getting emotional to....

Edited by Crow

6 hours ago, hoarmurath said:

ou're just ridiculous... Comparing a game to war, is lame. Maybe you think you're a real warrior behind your computer, but you aren't.

Thanks for your input. Although your post was a bit of a gank TBH. 😝

Ganks are silly when they're 1v10.

A 3v6 or 4v10 will put some hair on the chest.

A 5v15 is doable given repairs, but is stretching it.

Anything beyond that shouldn't be acceptable. There should be a limit on join ROE.

I understand everyone wants to get fights, but you're not getting good fights ganking or being ganked.

It drives away new players, creates toxicity amongst the veterans, and isn't a good thing to keep around.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ganks are silly when they're 1v10.

A 3v6 or 4v10 will put some hair on the chest.

A 5v15 is doable given repairs, but is stretching it.

Anything beyond that shouldn't be acceptable. There should be a limit on join ROE.

I understand everyone wants to get fights, but you're not getting good fights ganking or being ganked.

It drives away new players, creates toxicity amongst the veterans, and isn't a good thing to keep around.

Again good points Slim. I agree.

But how do you define BR vs Skill and tactics etc ? If you get 3 or 4 good PvP players against 5 or 6 poor ones the good ones will win.

But I also enjoy running from revenge fleets.😊

My main point is not everything is a gank, sometimes you sink.

A better way would be to split PvP rewards (marks gold exp etc) 60 - 40 for all participants so it lessons the loss for newer players and rewards PvP play.

This could lead to alt farming bit that's for the devs to sort out.

That's within my margins isn't it? I don't draw the line at 1.5:1, or even 2:1, but anything above 2.5:1 odds is overkill. If you cannot win with those odds than there's either A. Something wrong with damage, repairs, and/or boarding; or B. The skill/gear gap is too high in that new or inexperienced players feel as if they cannot reliably win a 3:1 (from a battle perspective not a run/chase perspective) and I've seen that many times in the Caribbean news thread, a small team of elite, highly fitted players decimating scores of ships and pulling away with NO LOSSES!

Edited by Slim McSauce

Guys rewoked reward system would solve everything even Gank issue.

For example currently you do get almost nothing for losing how would i do it:

sinking one ship= 6 PvP marks 150000 gold but if loser of this battle does enough damage he gets 3 PvP marks and 75000 gold.

But in case of unfair BR advantage of one side(Gank) weaker BR side gets multiplyer aplied becouse of disadvantage

30 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

Guys rewoked reward system would solve everything even Gank issue.

For example currently you do get almost nothing for losing how would i do it:

sinking one ship= 6 PvP marks 150000 gold but if loser of this battle does enough damage he gets 3 PvP marks and 75000 gold.

But in case of unfair BR advantage of one side(Gank) weaker BR side gets multiplyer aplied becouse of disadvantage

👍👍👍

That would also encourage PvP and help people learn instead of feeling they get nothing nothing and feel dejected.

8 hours ago, Fargo said:

...playing efficiently to make his team win, or for special rewards, he most likely would do so aswell (He wont admit^^).

We are doing it already by using elite mods, encyclopedias and 5/5 ships 😉 But ofc thats not the obvious kind of "gank" (secure an easy kill). Its pure skill not elite french rig that makes my masts invincible 😉

1 minute ago, Crow said:

👍👍👍

That would also encourage PvP and help people learn instead of feeling they get nothing nothing and feel dejected.

We cant have nice things because people would use it to fram pvp marks with their other unique logins aka alts and such a change would make it soooooo easy.

15 minutes ago, z4ys said:

We cant have nice things because people would use it to fram pvp marks with their other unique logins aka alts and such a change would make it soooooo easy.

So instead of crying about DLC ships we should solve Alt issues first becouse my idea would increase PvP and solve ganking issue so more crafted ship sold and so on

1 hour ago, Lovec1990 said:

As mentioned before you cannot add multiplier for weaker side.

The right way to do is to add a 0.X multiplier on stronger side based on how bad is the gank. Ace rape gank and they get no marks nor gold.

This has been asked for years now, still not in the game.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Palatinose said:

you know @Eskiwit almost beat my trinco yesterday? You know what's the worst part? He was in a fucking Herc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

As mentioned before you cannot add multiplier for weaker side.

The right way to do is to add a 0.X multiplier on stronger side based on how bad is the gank. Ace rape gank and they get no marks nor gold.

This has been asked for years now, still not in the game.

well your idea is good as well