Game-Labs Forum

the death of port battles

balz

This is a good thing. Besides a bunch of unhappy campers who have just gotten a very large dose of- what's the addage? Ah, yes, THEIR OWN medicine, this means guaranteed action in the coming days. 

A ragtag effort of everyone we could scrape together at the time took an enemy nation's primary strong hull port, which was located a stone's toss from their capital. And for at least 4 days (providing the first battle for it is not ended in our favour), it gets to fly the stars and stripes. I CANNOT imagine the horrifying retribution coming our way for this insult. It's going to be massive, and it's going to be fun, because it's going to mean lots and lots of fights.

Real fights, mind you, not ones on the forums. Attend those as well as you've attended here and you may keep your ports next time, my nordic friends. 

• Like 3

I'm gonna laugh so hard when PVp1 burns because of lopsided balancing.

1 minute ago, Alan Demarest said:

Danes trying to claim moral upperhand when their alliance attacked USA when out of alliance, or when they were literally trying to kill the Dutch nation by takking ALL their ports.

You are scum and I'll be waiting in Santo Domingo for you.

You can wait for a long time then...

• Like 1

oh look another thread about night flips destroying the game.  Meanwhile "for the sake of the playerbase" didn't seem to be a topic of discussion during the 7 war supply drop, the 3 points at once attack on the US a month ago, pushing the dutch down to one region, US down to one region multiple times, 1st rates into 4th rate battles...blah blah blah.  Insert any number of grievances.  When your side is winning, all is fair.  When our side wins the mechanics need to be changed.  This shit is getting old.    

The Danes fucked up over the holidays.  They tried to negotiate with the US and force them to give up their advantage in this game under threat of losing a number of our ports, including our 2 main crafting hubs.  Your arrogance led you to believe you could bully us into giving into your demands, you chose poorly.  You pissed in the wrong fucking guy's cheerios.  I  told NorthViking in our meeting that there would be repercussions.  Well, here they are.  We expected you guys to last longer than a month.  Guess not.  Please note we have not used double or no show tactics against other nations during the evening and we don't plan to.  I told North that we would beat you.  It seems we have.  

Prior to Klooth joining our TS last night to hash things out, I was a little sympathetic to the Danes and their situation.  He basically told us that the danes are going to take their toys and go home because we're not playing fair enough for them.  Danish RVR is dead or so we've been told.  We'll see in the next couple days here.  I thought better of the Danish nation honestly.  I didn't think it would take one night to break them and have them go cry to the devs to change things.  I'm honestly disappointed.  

I quite frankly have no interest in fighting empty port battles.  If the Danes stop showing up, we will stop.  If they offer some form of official surrender or public apology for their treatment over the holidays we stop and they get their strong hull port back.  Agree to our terms, or don't.  I don't care.  The US will not be changing alliance partners and will not limit our attacks to just the weekends.   

You come at the king, you best not miss.         

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Which brings us back to the point that we actually agree on.  RvR should be triggered by PvP only.  That would create "front lines" where you know your enemy would be if they wanted a region that badly.  

The ability to flip Ports is far too easy and happens far too often they definitely be PvP generated. Flipping a Port should be more of a "Campaign" style thing wherein you have to conduct multiple operations spanning days to flip a port. Hell id even argue there needs to be a fleet engagement on the seas before you unlock the RvR at all.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, saintjacktar said:

The ability to flip Ports is far too easy and happens far too often they definitely be PvP generated. Flipping a Port should be more of a "Campaign" style thing wherein you have to conduct multiple operations spanning days to flip a port. Hell id even argue there needs to be a fleet engagement on the seas before you unlock the RvR at all.

This is my view as well....   a group of ten people doing missions for an hour should NOT be enough to trigger a PB...  It should be a National effort that takes days, if not longer...  But people are addicted to PB's...  maybe "Raids" will help solve this?

• Like 6

Just now, Vernon Merrill said:

This is my view as well....   a group of ten people doing missions for an hour should NOT be enough to trigger a PB...  It should be a National effort that takes days, if not longer...  But people are addicted to PB's...  maybe "Raids" will help solve this?

Not only this but also fact that after succesfull defend of region it can be attacked again pretty quick.

When hostility was introduced at first it was arround week of safe time for that region before it could be attacked again. But devs decided it was bad idea ( dont know why but it was actually pretty awesome ) and changed it to 1 day for testing purposes. Now you are being hatred by enemies because of devs stupid ideas :)

3 minutes ago, akd said:

Also, if you are going to quit the game because you don't have a regional bonus or a particular wood type, maybe the bonuses from these are the problem.

The Devs created a resources war by making the wood types regional and caused the bulk of the fighting to be fought off the US coast (for Live Oak) and the Danes being the Danes had to immediately capitalize on our coastline and now we have evicted them and they've cracked it. If the Danes hadn't been so blatantly hostile they would be able to come to the diplo table 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Siegfried said:

More easy, don't to try defend port out of your primetime. People is parching the problem at cost of their health and all for a game.

We have two servers based in different timezones, we can to use that.

Two servers in different time zones and BOTH have the same PB timer restrictions (which restrict the Mountain and Pacific time zones from any RvR during their prime time).

• Like 3

your videos, pics and flippant attitude are amusing, but I recall what you said in TS last night when it was just us.  Fun aside I realize how much this situation is bothering you.  I hope you all so realize klooth that your trolling, constant insistence in EU only servers and general douche antics on the forums and in this game is one of the reasons you're in this situation.  

Joke all you want   It will not improve the game.   Check your ego and maybe we can work something out.  We didn't do this to you guys, you did it to yourselves.  Put something out there on the forums saying, yea this this and this was fucked up   Our bad   Let's work on building a better community.

Or continue posting your funny comments and cute little jabs at the US and enjoy watching the rest of us keep on enjoying this game. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Christendom said:

your videos, pics and flippant attitude are amusing, but I recall what you said in TS last night when it was just us.  Fun aside I realize how much this situation is bothering you.  I hope you all so realize klooth that your trolling, constant insistence in EU only servers and general douche antics on the forums and in this game is one of the reasons you're in this situation.  

Joke all you want   It will not improve the game.   Check your ego and maybe we can work something out.  We didn't do this to you guys, you did it to yourselves.  Put something out there on the forums saying, yea this this and this was fucked up   Our bad   Let's work on building a better community.

Or continue posting your funny comments and cute little jabs at the US and enjoy watching the rest of us keep on enjoying this game. 

The rest us being an ever diminishing group.

Just now, Hodo said:

First it will be split the US/AUS players from the EU server.  Then it will be split the AUS from the US server, then it will be split the Russian/Eastern Europe players from the Western Europe, EU server.    Then finally you will have 8 empty servers with no one playing and a VERY dead game... good job.

The way things are going it doen't matter anymore. A radical change is needed to retain players.

2 hours ago, rediii said:

You guys forget that we don't attack the US because we are bored or want to fuck you up. It is because live oak is only available in 2 spots of the map and both spots are pretty much in front of your capital. You take attacks way to personal.

Also, it is not like we set a portbattle in a US port because we know you guys are at work. we will get a even fight against brits or dutch because they want to hold the regional bonus. 

Your allies the Spanish did that the other day (the same day in fact as the Savannah &Santo Domingo PBS) when they had a PB at Islamorada at like 9:30 or 10 AM EST... that is in the start of the US work/school day.

(PS, the US lost Islamorada for those without a scorecard).

1 minute ago, Chijohnaok said:

Your allies the Spanish did that the other day (the same day in fact as the Savannah &Santo Domingo PBS) when they had a PB at Islamorada at like 9:30 or 10 AM EST... that is in the start of the US work/school day.

(PS, the US lost Islamorada for those without a scorecard).

well they do the seem that us do to the spain last time in middle of the nite it's alway the seem complain wee do all both  alliance do this so wee should maybe start to fix this all together with maybe a Fair Day for both side for do the port battle like do them in week end maybe ....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, saintjacktar said:

The Devs created a resources war by making the wood types regional and caused the bulk of the fighting to be fought off the US coast (for Live Oak) and the Danes being the Danes had to immediately capitalize on our coastline and now we have evicted them and they've cracked it. If the Danes hadn't been so blatantly hostile they would be able to come to the diplo table 

It was a good idea until the regional "resources" became decisive combat advantages that overwhelm player skill (or at least are perceived to).  Resource wars should be about fighting for economic resources, not combat bonuses that give you an edge over other players.  Giving combat bonuses for regions just reinforces imbalance: we take all strong hull regions and now it is even harder for anyone else to take them back, etc.

The better model is regional competition for economic bottlenecks like silver, copper and gold.  If one group takes all the regions with a particular resource, they are then spread thin to try and defend them all, while at the same time the other group can resort to smuggling and commerce raiding to gain the resources, made easier by their enemy stretching themselves out to try and control all producing regions.

Regarding Live Oak:

Live-Oak-native-range.png

Edited by akd
  • Like 4

Dear Devs,

Port Battles with players(only) will never work. Not only they will kill the game when population will drop to all time low after Release, but also cripple already struggling RvR. I am very surprised you can't see this. 

I am working on few ideas that I will propose once they are ready. Moving timers, flags or limiting days won't help Port Battles. Only Hybrid Port Battles will work properly for all time zones and Nations. By Hybrid I mean Players/NPCs vs Players/NPCs who will balance numbers and ships with 25vs25 in every Port Battle. System that will replace missing player numbers with equal NPCs and ships. Importantly this system will keep RvR alive until game servers allow players to play.

Stay tuned. 

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 2