Game-Labs Forum

the death of port battles

balz

8 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I see you grabbed the most important detail of my post.  Well, at least we can say we tried to be reasonable.  

Continue to troll and be obtuse on here.  It solves everything.  

400 online today. Yesterday at the same time: 500. Sunday: 600. 

Boy, things are going fast!

Edited by Kloothommel

26 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

And it's a good thing we discovered that bug by accident. Otherwise it wouldn't have been found! Thank god for testing.

I too find bug by accident by bringing a firstrate in a 4th rate battle and again by accident click join in, and then again by accident refuse to leave the battle  but instead take full advantage of the exploit :)

did you even hear yourself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chijohnaok said:

Azu, thank you for acknowledging "the might of the US nation". I don't think that we are there yet. We don't have the sort of elite 25 ship 1st rate fleet such as the Danes had for months. But we are scrappy.  We are trying to get there. And thanks to a lot of hard work, and to the assistance of our ever steadfast British and Dutch allies, we were able to pull off something (winning 2 PBs at Savannah and Santo Domingo against the Danes) that most never thought could happen (hell, I was surprised).

You actually thought he was serious? Wow ^_^

2 hours ago, Chijohnaok said:

Your allies the Spanish did that the other day (the same day in fact as the Savannah &Santo Domingo PBS) when they had a PB at Islamorada at like 9:30 or 10 AM EST... that is in the start of the US work/school day.

(PS, the US lost Islamorada for those without a scorecard).

There is a big difference and I am going to tell you what it is just in case you still don't get the point here.

Alliances are as follows:

- Spain (majority Spanish), Denmark ( mix of scandinavian/russian players), France (majority of French) and Swedish (I guess a good mix from different countries)

- US (majority from US), British ( another good mix of different countries, but about maybe 60-70% european people) and Dutch (majority of dutchs)

Now, as you can see, the brits outnumber the rest of nations combined and the key point here and what you don't understand is this:

One alliance can attack and defend at any time while the other has no chance at all to attack or defend at that particular time because people from european countries are sleeping.

So, we can deal with Dutchs and brits during day times, but we can not deal with US, aussies and other timezones attacking our ports while we are sleeping.

As simple as that. 

So here we are. The US players are setting port battles when we can't defend. I know it's not their fault but as you can understand the main problem is just that.

Let's see this: Spain set a port battle the other day at 15,30 server time, if I don't remember wrong..... Well, everybody can understand that this time is absolutely imposible for the US players to show up, but (and this is a big BUT) their allies can. Dutch and brits can play at that time the same as the Spanish players did.

Now, the US players set port battles at 3,30 server time (4,30 am here in Spain). Tell me how can you expect to organize people from european countries to wake up and fight? Well, some probably will show up, but you can't count on people doing that as a regular basis everytime there is a port battle and it's only a matter of time that people consider this as a waste of time.

Imagine this situation: Spain/Denmark/France and Sweden fighting with european brits and dutchs during our "normal" hours and, at the same time, dealing with US/aussies and others in that timezone taking from you what you were fighting for during our "normal" times. 

If you can't see a problem considering the long term here....... Do you understand now or you need more explanation?

What we have now? Port battles during european times can be full and there is fight. You can lose or win, but at the end of the day you just had a fight and that's fun for everyone.

But nightflip port battles are mostly absolutely unballanced and even some may be empty on our side. Is that fun for anyone? I don't think so....

The perfect solution: US, aussies and people in that timezone fighting eachothers. I know, you won't like it, but there it is.

Edited by _Alucard_
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Kloothommel said:

Small correction: 50/50 Eu(mostly scandinavian)/Russian

Well, ok, It doesn't matter. We are talking here about european times and Scandinavian/russian times are.

-Alliance 1: almost 100% european time players

-Alliance 2: let's say 75% european time players + 25% US/aussies/others timezone players. (numbers here doesn't matter)

My point is obvious for those who want to see it.

• Like 4

Just now, _Alucard_ said:

Well, ok, It doesn't matter. We are talking here about european times and Scandinavian/russian times are.

-Alliance 1: almost 100% european time players

-Alliance 2: let's say 75% european time players + 25% US/aussies/others timezone players. (numbers here doesn't matter)

My point is obvious for those who want to see it.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

So make the U.S. or one of the Americas- or Oceanic-time zone clans an offer it can't refuse?  "I know, you won't like it, but there it is." This is a social problem interacting with geography, and only one of those things can be changed.

You shouldn't look to the imposition of unfair game mechanics or divine intervention from the dev gods to solve all your problems.

The question is, do the Brits even have enough US players left to fill a PB?

And as for divine interventions, for all the skullduggery that the Danes might've been up to, they've been fixed in fairly quick order and today we're playing a better game because of it. Whereas the issue at hand being resolved hasn't even passed the "if" stage yet, let alone "when".

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

So make the U.S. or one of the Americas- or Oceanic-time zone clans an offer it can't refuse?  "I know, you won't like it, but there it is." This is a social problem interacting with geography, and only one of those things can be changed.

You shouldn't look to the imposition of unfair game mechanics or divine intervention from the dev gods to solve all your problems.

Well, if you come up with that is because you kind of understand my obvious point. Am I right?

Ok, what do we do? Should we tell those US and oceanic time zone clans to switch nation and become part of our alliance? That would not solve the problem. We can't expect all the US/oceanic players to do that..... And what do we offer them to do that switch? 

All i know for sure is that splitting up the remaining TESTERS into separate servers with game pop being what it is at this juncture can only lead to even more empty port battles and OW than we have now. In regards to justifications for dick moves im stunned that any nation would point a finger at this point, much less 7 fucking pages of it.

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 2

Where I just fail to see the logic of the Daines and allies over the light flip port battles. WHERE WAS YOUR COMPLAINTS WHEN YOU ATTACK'D THE USA AT 3AM???

Or when you used war supply bugs!

Or using a 1St rate in a 4th rate battle (refusing to leave fight eventhough it was unfair on the other team)

Or refusing to hand back port after using first rate bug!

Or by logging your fleets in under the crosses!

Or by attacking the USA Durring a server wide Christmas truce!

Or by attacking the USA when the broken alliance system had a hisy fit and dropped the USA out!

The Daines have played like dicks for months (as an ex pirate I think they should be proud of said behaviour) but when sneaky tricks are used against them they cry and complain and scream out of fixes/ server roll backs/ banning all non eu players from using the Danish server!!! 

Give me a break!! 

• Like 1

On 25-1-2017 at 6:56 PM, monk33y said:

Or when you used war supply bugs! Patched and fixed due to our testing!

Or using a 1St rate in a 4th rate battle (refusing to leave fight eventhough it was unfair on the other team) Patched and fixed due to our testing!

Or refusing to hand back port after using first rate bug! I recall it was a defense? Anyway, testing. It was discovered by us by accident and fixed post-haste. Did anybody use it since then? NO.

Or by logging your fleets in under the crosses! Patched and fixed due to our testing!

Or by attacking the USA Durring a server wide Christmas truce! Pubbies. And the PB didn't happen during the truce, as agreed.

Or by attacking the USA when the broken alliance system had a hisy fit and dropped the USA out! Our side had people dropping out all the time. Did you stop attacking?

The Daines have played like dicks for months (as an ex pirate I think they should be proud of said behaviour) but when sneaky tricks are used against them they cry and complain and scream out of fixes/ server roll backs/ banning all non eu players from using the Danish server!!!  Danes imba testers, at your service! Don't forget, this is an early access alpha version. You need to break stuff to fix stuff. Better now than on release.

Give me a break!! Have a KitKat!

Edited by Kloothommel
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Potemkin said:

All i know for sure is that splitting up the remaining TESTERS into separate servers with game pop being what it is at this juncture can only lead to even more empty port battles and OW than we have now. 

Potemkin, I didn't say that. In fact, I don't think that would be good for the game. The US and oceanic players have been playing since the very beginnig so they deserve to play as much as we (the rest) do.

I said what this server needs is to stop port battles in the middle of the night. That's not fun, you conquer a pixel yes, but we are here to have fun and we don't get it doing that.

We need to give players content. And the war should be based on fun fights, not almost empty port battles.

When can we play together? Weekends.

Devs should create content for weekends. If you want to have a port battle in a weekend, fine. But there should be alternative content only available and worth to partake on weekends.

We wrongly think that all it matters are ports. This game has a lot to offer, they just need to create content.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, _Alucard_ said:

There is a big difference and I am going to tell you what it is just in case you still don't get the point here.

Alliances are as follows:

- Spain (majority Spanish), Denmark ( mix of scandinavian/russian players), France (majority of French) and Swedish (I guess a good mix from different countries)

- US (majority from US), British ( another good mix of different countries, but about maybe 60-70% european people) and Dutch (majority of dutchs)

Now, as you can see, the brits outnumber the rest of nations combined and the key point here and what you don't understand is this:

One alliance can attack and defend at any time while the other has no chance at all to attack or defend at that particular time because people from european countries are sleeping.

So, we can deal with Dutchs and brits during day times, but we can not deal with US, aussies and other timezones attacking our ports while we are sleeping.

As simple as that. 

So here we are. The US players are setting port battles when we can't defend. I know it's not their fault but as you can understand the main problem is just that.

Let's see this: Spain set a port battle the other day at 15,30 server time, if I don't remember wrong..... Well, everybody can understand that this time is absolutely imposible for the US players to show up, but (and this is a big BUT) their allies can. Dutch and brits can play at that time the same as the Spanish players did.

Now, the US players set port battles at 3,30 server time (4,30 am here in Spain). Tell me how can you expect to organize people from european countries to wake up and fight? Well, some probably will show up, but you can't count on people doing that as a regular basis everytime there is a port battle and it's only a matter of time that people consider this as a waste of time.

Imagine this situation: Spain/Denmark/France and Sweden fighting with european brits and dutchs during our "normal" hours and, at the same time, dealing with US/aussies and others in that timezone taking from you what you were fighting for during our "normal" times. 

If you can't see a problem considering the long term here....... Do you understand now or you need more explanation?

What we have now? Port battles during european times can be full and there is fight. You can lose or win, but at the end of the day you just had a fight and that's fun for everyone.

But nightflip port battles are mostly absolutely unballanced and even some may be empty on our side. Is that fun for anyone? I don't think so....

The perfect solution: US, aussies and people in that timezone fighting eachothers. I know, you won't like it, but there it is.

I agree with you and in an ideal world this is how the alliances SHOULD pan out.  Perhaps a month ago an alliance swap would of been possible.  Unfortunately the Danes felt like threats would somehow be the best way to negotiate with the US.  An alliance with the Danes will never be possible.  That's not on us. The Danes gave only their arrogance to blame.  

I'm not sure if an alliance shift would actually save this game from piss poor dev relations, perhaps only delay the inevitable.  Perhaps our only solution would be to hope for a server merge and an influx of players from every time zone.  

5 minutes ago, _Alucard_ said:

Potemkin, I didn't say that. In fact, I don't think that would be good for the game. The US and oceanic players have been playing since the very beginnig so they deserve to play as much as we (the rest) do.

I said what this server needs is to stop port battles in the middle of the night. That's not fun, you conquer a pixel yes, but we are here to have fun and we don't get it doing that.

We need to give players content. And the war should be based on fun fights, not almost empty port battles.

When can we play together? Weekends.

Devs should create content for weekends. If you want to have a port battle in a weekend, fine. But there should be alternative content only available and worth to partake on weekends.

We wrongly think that all it matters are ports. This game has a lot to offer, they just need to create content.

It wasnt directed anyone man, im not saying anyone is right or wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and thats just mine. Honestly i dont care, if ppl wanna nightflip an ninja ports then they are killing their own enjoyment of the game just as much as the other guy's. Its pretty simple, its our choice as a community whether or not we wanna self destruct. Sooner or later one side has to be the better man and end the bullshit, we dont have the game pop anymore for these shenanigans. 

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think that's a good question and one only the Brits could answer but I'm guessing, "yes."

The reason for this is pretty clear... bugs and near-exploits affect everyone equally. And any mechanical solutions to this "problem" are entirely asymmetric. That's why I still argue that the solutions to this "problem" need to be social.

Well, hopefully someone knows, because otherwise the social solution is dead in the water.

Affecting everyone equally means that it can also be used by both sides equally - that, if anything, is an instant band-aid to alot of such issues until the devs step in, and probably the reason why those things are usually about "who did it first" rather than "who did it at all".

As for being an asymmetric solution, it's an asymmetric problem - regardless of how well the base premise is equal in a simplistic 1v1 scenario.

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Offer up a steady supply of first rates and a non-aggression pact when we go after Spanish interests, etc.  

Hold up, hold up. Your idea of how this would be 'solved' in a social way is to make a deal and then subject other nations to the exact same thing?

3 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

It wasnt directed anyone man, im not saying anyone is right or wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and thats just mine. Honestly i dont care, if ppl wanna nightflip an ninja ports then they are killing their own enjoyment of the game just as much as the other guy's.

Wouldn't be so sure about that, this being the interwebs and all there's definitely people around who would get a kick out of doing it just out of spite.

3 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Wouldn't be so sure about that, this being the interwebs and all there's definitely people around who would get a kick out of doing it just out of spite.

Id like to think most of those shitheads have fucked off by now but my pessimistic side sees your point.

Edited by Potemkin