PvP Event Feedback

My impressions from 3 deep water and 1 shallow water event so far:

Whats good:

•  a lot of players are trying it
  •  its a good way to get into PvP
  •  its fun
  •  it feels rewarding getting into top 10

Whats bad:

•  Shallow water event is too often, it seems like there are not that much players interested in it. Maybe do deep water 2 times a day and shallow water once.
  •  Pirates are too dominant. I dont think its because of the location (for the deep water event at least), not sure how to "fix" it.
  •  Sometimes battles stay open and sometimes they close kinda randomly. Many think its because the social perk is super bugged. Fix or give clarity how it works asap pls.
  •  More and more people are hunting only for kills, because they are the most important thing to get onto leaderboards. But gameplay wise it sux, allies intentionally blocking others to get the kill. Not sure how to somewhat balance this, I guess it has no high priority since the system we have now works for most.
  •  Boarding feels unrewarding because all that matters is getting kills. I would suggest to give the kill/points always to the guy who boards the ship.

Edited by JonSnowLetsGo
  • Like 4

It happened about what i feared:

By "mechanizing" PvP into events we have even less "random" OW PvP on the rest of the map.
Less and less "sandbox" in this game, surely true after the last two patches.

Am not that thrilled about adding more a more events - less time and/or motivation to get PvP going outside the events. 
We had a lot of PvP in Swedish waters between the big and this patch, since the last patch however... it feels awfully empty around Gustavia.

Edited by sveno
  • Like 3

PvP event concept and RvR hostility should be combined, e.g. 50% hostility changes region into PvP event zone with increased incentives.  PvP event zones will be where players are, not arbitrary locations on map.

• Like 7

agreed.  There should HAVE TO BE a PvP element that triggers RvR.  Not just Supply Bombs and grinding AI missions.  You want that port, come fight for it..  There needs to be front lines, and they should be obvious places to find PvP.  

As it is now, the best defense is just not showing up until the port battle.

• Like 1

I would suggest replacing AI mission farming with port raiding.  A series of port raids triggers the regional port battle.  If defenders try to "no show" to avoid PvP hostility generation, then their ports get raided.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sveno said:

It happened about what i feared:

By "mechanizing" PvP into events we have even less "random" OW PvP on the rest of the map.
Less and less "sandbox" in this game, surely true after the last two patches.

Am not that thrilled about adding more a more events - less time and/or motivation to get PvP going outside the events. 
We had a lot of PvP in Swedish waters between the big and this patch, since the last patch however... it feels awfully empty around Gustavia.

Consider this a pre-release Plymouth pvp zone. Such zone works well with lower online numbers and if the game works with 200 people online it will work with higher online figures.  To rephrase: you should be able to find pvp with 100 people online. Such pvp events provide this opportunity.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

agreed.  There should HAVE TO BE a PvP element that triggers RvR.  Not just Supply Bombs and grinding AI missions.  You want that port, come fight for it..  There needs to be front lines, and they should be obvious places to find PvP.  

As it is now, the best defense is just not showing up until the port battle.

similar to Elite conflict zones. At the very least it would please both greeks and trojans... sigh

1 hour ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

•  More and more people are hunting only for kills, because they are the most important thing to get onto leaderboards. But gameplay wise it sux, allies intentionally blocking others to get the kill. Not sure how to somewhat balance this, I guess it has no high priority since the system we have now works for most.

We are adding assists to points calculation on friday. It will promote more group action instead of kill stealing. 

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, akd said:

I would suggest replacing AI mission farming with port raiding.  A series of port raids triggers the regional port battle.  If defenders try to "no show" to avoid PvP hostility generation, then their ports get raided.

lets focus on the pvp event in this topic - there is no ai farming or port battles in pvp events

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, admin said:

Consider this a pre-release Plymouth pvp zone. Such zone works well with lower online numbers and if the game works with 200 people online it will work with higher online figures.  To rephrase: you should be able to find pvp with 100 people online. Such pvp events provide this opportunity.

nice idea to fix low players base, can u make a daily event small battle ? like at 20:30 server time 1 small battle in which every1 join with 5th rates and u get points and prizes just like ow pvp event. only 1 lobby pvp event wont hurt OW stuffs i think.

I also recommend a limit to the attempts during the event PvE missions (like 10 attempts). otherwise the players spend hours in PvE and this does not help the pvp

Edited by elite92

24 minutes ago, akd said:

Sure, but I am concerned that there might be an inverse relationship, i.e. more PvP events might be good for PvP events seen on their own, but harmful to other aspects of the game.

we all know that our EPIC world we created is too big for 100 people :). Time to focus on fun!

• Like 6

Please make the RoE work that balances the BR so it's not a gankfest. Also would be nice to make the shallow event rewards not the same as deep events. Maybe make the paint rewards apply to the rate of ships that can enter the event. (Meaning don't give vic paint schemes or high rate ships for the shallow events and vise versa.)

10 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Not everyone has groups. and it's only counting kills atm anyway, so 5 ppl ganking 1 doesn't help the 4 others.

2 hours ago, admin said:

We are adding assists to points calculation on friday. It will promote more group action instead of kill stealing. 

pls read all the topic before post

1 hour ago, admin said:

we all know that our EPIC world we created is too big for 100 people :). Time to focus on fun!

Increase OS speed little more, by about by 15% on top of what you did in last patch. Then fill empty ocean with fun things

P.S. Do not forget to introduce Junk loot! I hope you understand what PvE Goal you will achieve by doing so. I can't stress this enough... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

Couldn't you put a kraken-patrolled boundary around lesser antilles (say Puerto Rico to Trinidad), redistribute some port ownership and let us fight it out in a smaller RvR "arena" (with improved hostility mechanics that promote PvP) before release? Then we'd be testing the RvR mechanics that game will sink or swim on at release.

6 hours ago, admin said:

This been one of the biggest complaints I hear so far.  Lucky for my team we try to work on switching on who gets the most damage and the kill so we all got kills yesterday.  Doesn't all ways work that way, but I think some one that got assisates should get half credits or less at least.

5 hours ago, admin said:

But it won't all ways be 100 so we can just test things for now before it numbers do go back up.  Some folks froget this is an Alpha testing and they think it's a live game and teat it as such. Number are going to go up and down.  

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Why impost BR restrictions? Let it be a gankfest if it evolves to be that.. show up in a group!

Not every one has the numebrs.  We faced a group of 18 last night with the Brit/US alliance.  We had to scrape up 8 members to get any numbers and wasn't expecting that many on the other side.  We still fought them when most would of run.  While we all sank, we did kill 7 of them.  I'm just glad AI isn't allowed in cause I bet you if they did those 18 would been more like 38 players since most of them all bring AI's with them all the time.  Thanks devs for keeping the AI's out.

2 hours ago, akd said:

Couldn't you put a kraken-patrolled boundary around lesser antilles (say Puerto Rico to Trinidad), redistribute some port ownership and let us fight it out in a smaller RvR "arena" (with improved hostility mechanics that promote PvP) before release? Then we'd be testing the RvR mechanics that game will sink or swim on at release.

You know the middle of the Gulf Of Mexico is a lot of empty water not being used.  Could be an interesting place for a third location for the events and maybe gets more action moved that way.  As far as I can tell in both servers it's pretty much who ever is settled in there stays in there and it's not realy much fighting over that area.