Game-Labs Forum

New Patch Hype

Ned Loe

Indeed, those guys from Fractured space and Mechwarrior online are like on crack! Fractured space get's a patch every few days. MWO is putting it out at a fast steady pace as well.

Fractured Space went from early alpha pre EA version to release in a year's time and looking good so far!

Or? Or keep pandering and tailoring the game to the liking of only one type of players (we all know who they are and what type of game they want this to be) just be aware that this

strategy left you with a game that is struggling to keep it's most populated server over 600-700 players at prime times..

I would like to point out that Fractured space had max 200 people online during their early access.

https://steamdb.info/app/310380/graphs/

Online is not correlated with a quality of the game or a developer. Just like you said. Patches, content, everything was delivered by the devs - 200 online. Same with subnautica 1000 players most of EA.

Early access online player numbers do not matter if the quality does not go lower on release.

NA is having abysmal player retention rating. Meaning that most people who bought it already left it never to return again. This is bad. No Man's sky bad!

No - you are mistaken for multiple reasons. And we will always respond to such statements as online does not matter :)

First - every game has 0 percent long term retention . Nobody plays civilization 1. = 0 retention

Second lets use your fractured space example

Number of users who tried FC. 1.8 mln

Peak online 6300 1 year ago

Current peak 1300 (5x drop)

We also have a 5x drop. Did you say FC was on crack and doing well or did you say they were dying because they had the same drop? They must be having abysmal retention rating - like No mans sky bad (compared to ours i mean). In addition to that more players stayed in NA than in FC in relation to those who tried (1000 of 1.8 mln vs ours 800-1000 out of 85000).  

Does it mean that FC is losing 14x more users than NA? or what does it mean?

I will help you ;)

It means nothing. FC is an awesome game which players try and move on. 

a) player numbers do not show the game quality

b ) player numbers always drop unless the game is a true hit (wot, wow, etc)

GTA5 is bad according to your logic as their retention is like 5% or less (everybody left)  :). But its not. It is just everybody gets bored eventually and goes to do something else. 

I would like to point out that Fractured space had max 200 people online during their early access.

Online is not correlated with a quality of the game or a developer. Just like you said. Patches, content, everything was delivered by the devs - 200 online. Same with subnautica 1000 players most of EA. 

Early access online player numbers do not matter if the quality does not go lower on release. 

Player base numbers are not maybe so important per se, it's the conclusion that i hiding behind that number. Player retention.

This rating is showing do players want to play your game. As NA has bad retention and mostly daily player consists of your regular fan base and  a few of 

new guys+random drop in casuals i find this to be a problem. Maybe it's not a big deal now in EA state but if you do not find a more stable formula it will become a death sentence. 

Reasons being:

1. MMO sandbox game that in order to have fun you are reliant on other players = the more the merrier!

2. Future monetization of the game and your studio. You gotta keep the lights on somehow?

We are talking about the future of NA here so i am looking 2 steps ahead. If you think you can keep this game with 500 fiercely loyal players and a few random drop ins 

then this conversation is kinda pointless. NA not having a bright future would be a hard blow for me personally as i waited the game of this type for half of my adult life.

In most cases when i take a dislike to a game i just leave. I dislike being all doom and gloom here but if i see a problem i will try to express it as a fan of this game. 

You guys made a great achievement with this game already and if somebody asked me now i would say i got my money back threefold by now in playing NA.

It's just that these 2 months have been very hard for us players and at least for me personally it seems that you as the dev team lost focus or are confused in what 

direction you should go. I may be way off the mark and wrong but that is how it's looks from my perspective. 

• Like 1

No - you are mistaken for multiple reasons. And we will always respond to such statements as online does not matter :)

First - every game has 0 percent long term retention . Nobody plays civilization 1. = 0 retention

Second lets use your fractured space example

Number of users who tried FC. 1.8 mln

Peak online 6300 1 year ago

Current peak 1300 (5x drop)

We also have a 5x drop. Did you say FC was on crack and doing well or did you say they were dying because they had the same drop? They must be having abysmal retention rating - like No mans sky bad (compared to ours i mean). In addition to that more players stayed in NA than in FC in relation to those who tried (1000 of 1.8 mln vs ours 800-1000 out of 85000).  

Does it mean that FC is losing 14x more users than NA? or what does it mean?

I will help you ;)

It means nothing. FC is an awesome game which players try and move on. 

a) player numbers do not show the game quality

b ) player numbers always drop unless the game is a true hit (wot, wow, etc)

GTA5 is bad according to your logic as their retention is like 5% or less (everybody left)  :). But its not. It is just everybody gets bored eventually and goes to do something else. 

You are mixing apples and oranges aka single player and multiplayer!

Fractured space, World of..., War Thunder, Mechwarrior online, LOL, and Naval Action NEED players and player retention in order to live on.

Maybe not stellar or even good but somewhat stable at least. Or you would need bigger influx of players buying into NA then what is

leaving NA. But is this possible for a non F2P game?

On the other hand your GTAxx, civxx, fallouts, witchers, whatever else singleplayer game does not give a rats ass does player spends 2 hours or 600 hours 

into their game after it has been bought.

One does not care nor depends on how much players are online, while the other is totally dependent on it and if player base drops too low it's light's out.

I will give you "Evolve" as a good example of this happening. They reverted to F2P in order to bring new blood to the game as their servers hang so empty months after 

release that nobody was playing and those few that did could not find a match.

Concerning Fractured Space. I bought the game in EA and actually only installed it 2 weeks ago. I played 1 tutorial match and 1 vs AI as you must play 3 before being able to 

play with players and haven't launched it again. I found it somewhat boring and uninteresting. If what you say about player numbers (in FC) is true then i consider it a failure yes! 

And it's probably the reason why they went F2P so early. Same goes for Dreadnought. Played about 30 matches, lost interest. By long waiting matchmaking queues i perceive

they have same problem (not enough players).

However that was not the topic. Conversation was about development speed and not about player rating or the game quality. 

Obviously numbers will drop for now - it's still in development (lacking the content of the final product) and many players have already been playing for quite a while now.

But so what? The focus oughta be on a good and holistically made final product for when the game is released, not just entertain the current early-access players to keep the playercount up for now. Or should they stop working on large chunks of core content and instead do weekly releases of new ships just to get the current playerbase to log in? No thanks.

I imagine plenty of players are just taking a break until the next patch - I'm one of them - and what's wrong with that? It's silly to expect development to be faster than the time that people remain actively entertained.

Names? We would love to see those mythical fast developers you are talking about?

Hope they are not related to pixel art platformers ? and are no single player games. As single player development speed is 10x faster than any server based mult.

"Gloria Victis"; "Stranded Deep"; "Life is Feudal; "Heroes and Generals"...want more? All alpha and beta. In fact, Gloria victis is real fast releasing patches (at least one at week) and with a lot of new things instead fixing bugs.

yea one where they add contant and 3 were they fix it and that with 4 times more crew.

Gamers are so spoiled today,

HYPE

lol, wow...the girls cant handle criticize? and fuzzyhead, stop to be apple polisher. I paid for the game and i have the right to criticize the lack of new stuff on it.

Both teams have are 5x bigger than ours + both are good. Both games are session based shooters. Open worlds are harder. 

If we cut open world we could patch more often. 

my post was not to say you guys are doing it wrong.

just pointing out names of other developers that work hard too.

I believe you guys are working hard.  yes i'm aware that it takes a lot of time and effort to put out a patch.  and this next one looks good.  I just wish you had the man power to  put out bigger patches faster. I suppose if you put patches out slower they'd be much bigger as well.  btw, nice looking ship.  looks good.  keep working hard.

thanks.

GTA5 is bad.  period. don't ever mention that POS game again.  this game no matter what you do to it, will always be a million times better.

Patches? We don't need no stinking patches!

Both teams have are 5x bigger than ours + both are good. Both games are session based shooters. Open worlds are harder.

If we cut open world we could patch more often.

If you need help let me know. Will work for food.

• Like 1

Just wanted to quote this because I still play Civ II....

Yeah I still play Civ V a lot, and guess what you guys are putting yourself right up against the Civ VI release with this patch.  Rage quit !  :lol:

"Gloria Victis"; "Stranded Deep"; "Life is Feudal; "Heroes and Generals"...want more? All alpha and beta. In fact, Gloria victis is real fast releasing patches (at least one at week) and with a lot of new things instead fixing bugs.

lol, wow...the girls cant handle criticize? and fuzzyhead, stop to be apple polisher. I paid for the game and i have the right to criticize the lack of new stuff on it.

Heroes and generals is a special case - good large team, precise focus and no open development. The main goal is to hide good content behind paywalls and monetize everything. This funds provide speed. Their progression system is awesome. 

The other names except heroes and generals delivered minimal content and cant even be compared with us. Do you even factcheck? Life is feudal delivered like 3-4 minor patches since DEC 2015 and even posted a some kind of apology for silence.

With our content on the server for anti cheating reasons you don't even see majority of bugfixes, because they can be deployed during maintenance by just changing the server. And because we prefer not to inflate statements to customers with bullshots as we don't trumpet for every fix we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPQr4NoRsbQ,

We just prefer work to talk.

Some people on the other hand like marketing and sweet talk. Life is feudal is more of your kind = does almost nothing, yet you think they did more.We are perhaps not a right developer for you. We think you are just bitter for some reason 

Just wanted to quote this because I still play Civ II. Albeit heavily patched to even marginally function on modern computers and OSs XD

Yet i am sure someone is posting on there forums that the Civ 2 is dying and devs do nothing. 

• Like 3

H&G is a interesting case.

It was going to be the next ww2ol in a more accessible form and modern visuals.

But the investors that injected funds thought it wise to be reworked another way.

They have one of the greatest multi layer wargame ideas and it gets rotten by pay to play.

I do not touch it since forever and have a huge amount of war bonds from before their "acquisition" by another investor.

It is another game I funded which came out, for me, not what I expected.

On the other hand War of Right is coming up very very nice and it is also a niche game but they never say it otherwise.

H&G is a interesting case.

It was going to be the next ww2ol in a more accessible form and modern visuals.

But the investors that injected funds thought it wise to be reworked another way.

They have one of the greatest multi layer wargame ideas and it gets rotten by pay to play.

I do not touch it since forever and have a huge amount of war bonds from before their "acquisition" by another investor.

It is another game I funded which came out, for me, not what I expected.

On the other hand War of Right is coming up very very nice and it is also a niche game but they never say it otherwise.

Ah yes war of rights  - we have a special interest in the Civil war topic. Thanks for reminding about it. Will write them an email to ask if they want sailing ironclads in the game :)

HG i think is honest and fair and has no mixed messages. You will do better if you pay, but you still can get almost everything for free. People buy a lot of power.

• Like 3

No Mans Sky, Mechwarrior Online, H+G, all these titles, havent dilivered what they planed in the first place and took my money to do something else.

Every month patching a mech into the game, without actuel game content is not a quality patch. Even if i need to admit MWO got better in the gamecontent.

Fractured Space, is a mtachmaker game were you dont really gain anything, its a Moba with spaceships, you dont have a gameworld to work on.

So i think we need to look into: What is content, and how do we mesure the Quality of content?

Every developer can patch a ship tank or gun each month in the game, but is that a High Quality Contant?, No it only gives the player more choices to play a ship, and sometimes results into another powercreep and a spam of said vessel, seen with the rattle in NA, but this content dosent provide long term satisfaction to most players. 

so what determines the quality of a patch?

Bugfixes are a good quality of patches, as said above most of them can be done severside so people will not see them, still its allways nice to see a small anoying UI bug to vanish, it incrases the overall game quality and shows that the Devs still care for small issues, Counter Example, IT-1 from Warthunder , by gajiin. This tank is the only tank that will not suffer of a ammunition explosion, aka ammorack. Acording to a speaker of Gajiin :" Rocket Fuel dosent blow up it burns slowly", is the reason why this tank will still driving like that since 4 months, other bugs on this tank are, reflecting Tracks, solid shot ammo get reflected by cast irion tanktracks, the player can still fire witha dead gunner, you cant damage the launching pad for its ATGMs or the ATGM itself, and the list is big and anoying, gajiin has some other bugs that drove me away of the game and they refuse to put the resources together to fix them.

Quality of content?

A patched in Vessel might be alone a small quality patch, but what if you combine it with a new mechanic, Game Labs will introduce 2 new vessel with a overhaul of OW taggin mechanics, also you can only get these 2 new vessels by boarding an AI to test the possibility of one dura ships.

the next patch includes that resources will be lo0cated at their RL position on that time, new requirement for crafting new mechanic for portbattels and some minor stuff. Alone a single ship need 1 month of 3dmodeling and scripting before its finished, we get 2 of them, together with a complete overhaul of stuff, Thats a high quality patch, while i didnt see a need for changing the ROE.

also other high quality contant,

Questlines with story, WoW

Gamemechanic overhaul

rebalancing

and other stuff

so you need to actuel look into the quality of a contant patch and not saying we need every month new contant.

• Like 1

Ah yes war of rights  - we have a special interest in the Civil war topic. Thanks for reminding about it. Will write them an email to ask if they want sailing ironclads in the game :)

HG i think is honest and fair and has no mixed messages. You will do better if you pay, but you still can get almost everything for free. People buy a lot of power.

Yes you do. Ultimate General is indeed a breeze of fresh air into wargaming delivered in such a great compact format. A great game.

Chaseeers!! And its known to be a "flyer", the fastest frigate of the Royal Navy! And it is a damn sexy looking ship even with the original paintwork! I really raise my hat over the quality of the models in this game they are really-really well done. With this ship I hope for a little heavier Surprise, an excellent sailing vessel with a bit more HP and better armament. (12/18 pounders maybe?) 

But chaaasers!! Im off to the corner for a quick wank... :D

1e825b24da324b4cb75f3874a9b11c51.png

• Like 2

Chaseeers!! And its known to be a "flyer", the fastest frigate of the Royal Navy! And it is a damn sexy looking ship even with the original paintwork! I really raise my hat over the quality of the models in this game they are really-really well done. With this ship I hope for a little heavier Surprise, an excellent sailing vessel with a bit more HP and better armament. (12/18 pounders maybe?)

But chaaasers!! Im off to the corner for a quick wank... :D

1e825b24da324b4cb75f3874a9b11c51.png

You know the HMS Endymion was a 24lb Frigate, right?

I dont keep my hopes up haha! Just looked up her armament yesterday and I saw that she was indeed a 24pounder Frigate. I was really worried that it will be like the Essex, a very nice ship, a good sailer but sadly, no chasers . If it comes with 24 pounders it will be a really strong 5th rate and I am really curious how will her stats looks like regarding her balance. I will probably end up using 12 or 18 pounders in order to keep her fast and just run down all the things... :) 

I dont keep my hopes up haha! Just looked up her armament yesterday and I saw that she was indeed a 24pounder Frigate. I was really worried that it will be like the Essex, a very nice ship, a good sailer but sadly, no chasers . If it comes with 24 pounders it will be a really strong 5th rate and I am really curious how will her stats looks like regarding her balance. I will probably end up using 12 or 18 pounders in order to keep her fast and just run down all the things... :)

Well she used 18lb from 1803 to 1813 so the devs might go with that configuration

Well she used 18lb from 1803 to 1813 so the devs might go with that configuration

That would be just fine to me. :) Im in love with the 5th rates in our out game doesnt really matter. The more we have the happier I am! :D Really not really a fan of the big ships although I do have a few to make money and use them in pvp when the situation requires. Probably that is why the Surprise is my favorite ship in the game. :)

I just ask that devs please stop with all the British ships. We have nations represented in this game that have no ship. Give the Dutch and Swedes their due respect. (Oh and like I demanded before :), put some old out-of-time-frame famous ships hidden in fleets near our capital zones. I seriously want to cap the Whydah from a pirate fleet outside MT and the Vasa and recap de Zeven Provincien from some dirty thief who was brave enough to cap one in Dutchland!)