Game-Labs Forum

2 Officers Please

If this topic has been already addressed, my apologies.

Would the developers please give us two Officers for Naval Action? One would be a Military Officer dedicated for battles, and the other would be a Merchantman Officer dedicated for trader ships.

Providing two officers in-game would allow us to have two separate Officer Perk load-outs. Again, one for Military Officer and one for Merchantman Officer.

Thank you,

Captiva

• Like 5

If this topic has been already addressed, my apologies.

Would the developers please give us two Officers for Naval Action? One would be a Military Officer dedicated for battles, and the other would be a Merchantman Officer dedicated for trader ships.

Providing two officers in-game would allow us to have two separate Officer Perk load-outs. Again, one for Military Officer and one for Merchantman Officer.

Thank you,

Captiva

I agree- two officers are better than one but remember -   "To err is human but to really mess things up you need an officer".   ;o)

• Like 1

I'd suggest making a poll.

But I agree, there is a lot of perks for only one officer.

A thread with poll that I created. This is how I envisioned the officers to be used....especially when after one previous patch there were slots for multiple officers. I still suggest multiple officers, and each officer would have a list of 5-6 perks to choose from, but allowing only 2-3 perks for each officer. Also, each perk would have different XP levels to them. They would have to create a few more perks, but this would still allow for wide range of combinations that would provide an equally wide range of unique possibilities between each player.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15541-officer-suggestion-for-multiple-officers/

I would propose several officers, with their historic roles. You have a first lieutenant, a boatswain, a doctor, and perhaps a purser.

Then, as mentioned, perhaps 5-7 perks per officer, of which you can only choose 2 or 3, and perhaps not even that many (maybe that number for the lieutenant, but you only get one perk for the others.).

atm every one can reset officer and fit to needs at any time, what a point to do it? if dev gives us many of them, but only one can by active. activation in port only. It nothing changes to the current system, except of reseting. You still can forgot to reset for proper perks the same u can frogot to pick proper one.

I hope everyone remembers that the devs stated free officer resets are temporary and are being used to test perk configurations. That being said, my vote is for getting rid of "perks" and being able to select an officer or two with their historical qualities providing upgrades. I.e. Gunner improves load time/accuracy. Master improves trim/speed. Purser improves trade/repair costs etc...

My own opinion, every ship should have an officer in a slot like an upgrade.

The officer gains exp with the ship not the players account. Don't sail that ship that officer gains no xp.

Officers have as much dura as the ship, loose last dura that officer goes down with the ship.

The problem I see with having one dedicated Battle officer and one dedicated port/crafting/trading officer, is that obviously there is risk to using the battle officer.  There has to be some way to add REAL danger to the use of the port/crafting/trading officer. If there is no way that the port/crafting/trading officer can be put in danger with the risk of losing him then I feel there is no reason to have a second port/crafting/trading dedicated officer, as his use would be a pure bonus with no risk or danger.

In conclusion, once this officer is ranked up and in port, he is a free bonus with no danger of loss, except for maybe being located in a port that is captured. I think this risk is not sufficient enough to warrant a second officer without an added game play risk to the player for his possession.

Edited by Rramsha

I hope everyone remembers that the devs stated free officer resets are temporary and are being used to test perk configurations. That being said, my vote is for getting rid of "perks" and being able to select an officer or two with their historical qualities providing upgrades. I.e. Gunner improves load time/accuracy. Master improves trim/speed. Purser improves trade/repair costs etc...

It doesn't matter to me if they let choose two officers - each having specific skill sets as you suggest - or give us two officers and let the player select his own perks for each from the current officer perks menu. 

The suggestion I'm making is that there are two types of ships in the game - war ships and trader ships. The player would have the option of choosing ship specific officer perks for each ship. The trader officer perks could be chosen for evasion, defense, speed etc. The war ship officer perks could be chosen to be all offensive in nature, or a mix.

Either way, I would like to see the game offer more than just one officer per player. Two officers, I believe, would add just the right amount of diversity for the player within the game.

The officer gains exp with the ship not the players account. Don't sail that ship that officer gains no xp.

Officers have as much dura as the ship, loose last dura that officer goes down with the ship.

A good idea but I think it would just lead to everyone having a "battle officer " a "trade officer " a "gank officer" etc and they would all be carbon copies of what everyone else has so therefore not even needed in first place.

I do like the officer slot though. Maybe you have a officer for the slot but he has to be moved around like equipment so only the ship or outpost with the officer can get his perks.

I like your idea, Fletch67. With the implementation of this idea each ships Captain could be molded to the players choosing. The office stays with his ship, gains his own xp toward promotion and has a lifetime that matches that of the ship.

Think about this. We can have multiple outposts that harbor multiple ships in each outpost, but we have only one officer. I don't mind one way or the other if officer perks remain in game, but if they do, I believe we should have at the minimum two officers (one dedicated military and one dedicated merchantman) or maybe better yet, something on the order of Fletch67's idea.

All of this effectively changes the scope of the game from we acting "the captain" to us acting "the navy board" / "le armateur".

It is all fine ideas, just find them kind of dettached from the idea of acting commander of a ship and thus becoming more of a Admiralty on our own rights.

atm every one can reset officer and fit to needs at any time, what a point to do it? if dev gives us many of them, but only one can by active. activation in port only. It nothing changes to the current system, except of reseting. You still can forgot to reset for proper perks the same u can frogot to pick proper one.

I had said this many times that they should have the officer based on that ship.  The longer that ship is used and stays alive the more expierence the officer and crew become.  Say you have a ship that just won't go down and it's been in over 25 fights.   It will have more perks and skills than say a fresh ship with a new officer.    Though it would mean ships with less DURA would be harder to train your officers up, but than those ships are suppose to be more rare than your average frigates too.

The same can be done with a the shore officers.  It is based on the out post there.  So say you can have more than one shipyard.  One shipyard has a better crew/officer working there.   This xp is what allows you to go from a level 1 shipyard to a level 3.  It will be more xp based than paying for it.  THough I would bring the cost to make the building up, but make the ranking an expierence thing so the longer you produce things out of that building the more productive it becomes.

All of this effectively changes the scope of the game from we acting "the captain" to us acting "the navy board" / "le armateur".

It is all fine ideas, just find them kind of dettached from the idea of acting commander of a ship and thus becoming more of a Admiralty on our own rights.

To be honest as we rank up and get more screw and more ships that is exactly what we are.  More of a Admiralty of our own fleets than the actual captains of those ships.  

I just thought the only issue with the officer per ships is that when you capture other ships and you get a one DURA.  Well you would put a prize crew on that ship. I think there should be no magic teleporting that ship back like we have now.  That ship needs to be added to your fleet and you need to put a prize crew on it and sale it back to one of you ports to keep it.  And you should be limited to crew on hand not your crew pool for such actions.   This would cut done on the use of AI fleets as you need to keep that crew number with you and the slots open to keep a prize when you capture one instead of just magically teleportation it back.  Though I"m not sure how the system would work with such an officer.  Maybe you get the perks of that players officer on that ship until it's sunk?  Since it's only one Dura?

I would prefer 1 Officer per Ship class Light, Frigates, SOLs. ALl his perks/skills would be ship and crew related... Then have max 1 Trade/craft based one... All skills related to those areas.. 

Then remove the Doctor, Surgeon ect perks and make them separate officers along with a Marine Officer with various levels of skill within their field 

And get rid of the free resetting of perks every 5 mins... Make your choices and live with them.. lets stop caving into the carebears

Edited by CaptVonGunn