Game-Labs Forum

Patch removes chance to teleport ships to owned ports

There has been an exploit available prior to todays patch which allows 2 players on the same side to work together so that they can teleport one of the players ships to one of their outposts.

This was most likely not intentional and was made available by one player sailing with a smuggler tag in a basic cutter out to a waiting player who wants their PvP ship teleporting to a forward port.

The basics are that they would engage in battle, the basic cutter would surrender. The other player can then capture the cutter, send his pvp ship to an outpost of his choice, sail back to KPR and then teleport to his outpost, pick his ship up and then sail out.

Unfortunately, the fact that you can no longer engage in battle with a player on the same side as you, prevents this exploit from being used.

The exploit was typically used for PvP when a lot of players organised a fleet to patrol on its boundaries, meaning any player from anywhere on the map could participate and we could have a decent sized battle.

I personally do not feel this exploit was abused and it did add to the organised player game mechanics and fun on this game, however it now makes doing large fleet patrols in remote areas much more difficult and therefore less likely for a large fleet to attack a nation in its own back yard..

To solve this without making it too exploitable, I would suggest that you expand the Teleport to capital option to any port the player owns.

There is an obvious workaround for this, the player could just attack some low level NPC ship to allow him to do this anyway, its just a lot more hassle.

I see no real negative effect this can have and I do believe it will promote more larger scale pvp battles.

Edited by Terox
  • Like 2

As much as I liked the fact we could get ships moved around a lot faster, but to be honest this will make planning attacks and defense more important a head of time and folks can't just port there combat ships over fast to an area.  You actually need to keep ships spread out to the are's you need to fight in or patrol.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the fact that you can no longer engage in battle with a player on the same side as you, prevents this exploit from being used.

When did fixing exploits become a bad thing? When did exploits become features? I feel like I'm in some bizzaro alternate universe reading this.

A ship delivery system, like the resource delivery system, would be useful, though.

• Like 6

When did fixing exploits become a bad thing? When did exploits become features? I feel like I'm in some bizzaro alternate universe reading this.

A ship delivery system, like the resource delivery system, would be useful, though.

I agree but I'd like to see ship deliveries and even resources be done in OW via NPC fleets with insurance payout if you lose it. We need more OW traffic besides the current traders/fleets milling around.

*shrugs*

Doesn't affect me and I see it as a good thing. Many offensives were planned based on the assumption of - attack friendly smuggler, teleport warship, return to port, teleport to outpost, sail out and fight.

Served no one purpose in a game intended to be a representation, to a hobby degree, of the complexities of age of sail combat.

If it stirs a lot of comfort then it is a good thing and truly nothing of importance was lost.

Well the other option is wait, wait, wait while another player and then another player is trying to make their way to the fleet form up point, there is enough waiting around as it is with players hiding in the battle log screen.

that's the work around yes, just a bit more hassle 

.....i.e. you actually have to play the game?

Well the other option is wait, wait, wait while another player and then another player is trying to make their way to the fleet form up point, there is enough waiting around as it is with players hiding in the battle log screen.

The other option?  How about SAIL !

I don't have an issue sailing from 1 end of the map to the other but if I just log into the game and find there's an organised fleet about to depart from a forward operating base that I actually have as an outpost    then it would be really nice if i didn't have to miss the opportunity to take part in this form of team play.

I am not asking for a teleport to A,B C with my PvP ship as often as I want, I am simply asking that the ability to teleport to the capital is expanded to any of my outposts

There hasn't been one person against this that has asked for the teleport to capital to be removed, and what i am asking for really isn't that much different. Once every 4 hours or  6 hours etc isn't really going to be of much use as an exploit but could well be used to create some very large PvP battles, which has got to be good for the game.

So why is it okay to TP to capital once every 4 hours but not TP to any other port you have an outpost in ? That i would like explaining from those who are opposed to this, if you dont mind as I dont see any different arguments between the two options

Edited by Terox

I don't have an issue sailing from 1 end of the map to the other but if I just log into the game and find there's an organised fleet about to depart from a forward operating base that I actually have as an outpost then it would be really nice if i didn't have to miss the opportunity to take part in this form of team play.

I am not asking for a teleport to A,B C with my PvP ship as often as I want, I am simply asking that the ability to teleport to the capital is expanded to any of my outposts

There hasn't been one person against this that has asked for the teleport to capital to be removed, and what i am asking for really isn't that much different. Once every 4 hours or 6 hours etc isn't really going to be of much use as an exploit but could well be used to create some very large PvP battles, which has got to be good for the game.

So why is it okay to TP to capital once every 4 hours but not TP to any other port you have an outpost in ? That i would like explaining from those who are opposed to this, if you dont mind as I dont see any different arguments between the two options

I definitely think the tp to capital should be removed.

I definitely think the tp to capital should be removed.

Capitals are used for player v player trading, this would cause some issues for that element of the game and most likely reduce the ability of the capital as being the central hub of the nation.

Is that a good thing?  I dont now.

Edited by Terox

I agree but I'd like to see ship deliveries and even resources be done in OW via NPC fleets with insurance payout if you lose it. We need more OW traffic besides the current traders/fleets milling around.

This sounds like a good idea

Capitals are used for player v player trading, this would cause some issues for that element of the game and most likely reduce the ability of the capital as being the central hub of the nation.

Is that a good thing? I dont now.

Well we'll never know because the days of this being a " strategy " game are far behind it and is now dangerously close to needing to put in a quarter to play.

Just for grins though I would say this. You already cant tp to capital with goods so whatever youre trading must already be there and even though its the capital it should be "THE CAPITAL" the big city few go to and fewer go to often. Most people /players should be encouraged to set up thier own regional capitals in certain ports and make those the big trade hubs for everyone in say the bahamas to use or the cayamans to use and leave the big massive trade expiditions to the capital for the trade fleets of dedicated sailor/traders.

I know its never gonna happen these days but would be cool if the players all played like we was cogs in this fake world instead of just acting like a " gamer" trying to " win" this session.

Hell i have been saying for months to let people teleport with no cooldown but to add a cooldown to being able to teleport ad undock at same time.it eliminates ganks, and revenge ganks while still allowing you to manage all your ports and craft and ship things.

Nobody likes this idea which goes to show that the vocal minorities like to gank.

Just my tske on it.

Hell i have been saying for months to let people teleport with no cooldown but to add a cooldown to being able to teleport ad undock at same time.it eliminates ganks, and revenge ganks while still allowing you to manage all your ports and craft and ship things.

Nobody likes this idea which goes to show that the vocal minorities like to gank.

Hello, Doomed.  My name is Nobody, cuz I like your idea.  :P   We do need an easy way (like we have now) to maintain our assets located all over, while solving the TP-gank manuevers.

• Like 1

That is the part where the planning comes in. Word goes out 3-4 days before go-time. Ships move to ports near target over those days. When go-time comes, the players are there with their ships to make the trip to the target.

Since teleports by exploits are now gone, maybe we should make everyone's live easier and introduce a ship transfer instead. You could order your ship to sail from port A to port B for a price, just like you can do with deliveries in free harbours. This would save hours of boring sailing, in which PvP is mostly non-existent anyway.

Right now if I craft a Victory in Willemstad to defend Saint George's town, I either have to use a less common exploit, or sail for I would guess around 5 hours, out of which maybe 15 minutes is through waters where I can meet some enemy. I would rather pay eg. 500k for the ship to be delivered for me the next day.

No that we can no longer telecutter (teleport with a smuggler cutter friend) can we get ship deliveries?  These could work similar to freetown deliveries in that it would take a certain amount of time for a ship to reach the port.

If you could code it, you could even have ships become AI's in the open world as they sail from point A to point B.

Some may say to HTFU about moving ships. But I just can't find the time to spend moving multiple ships on multiple hour moves to different ports.

At the very least I support some sort of mechanic that would allow a player to be contracted to move a ship or to contract AI to do so for a hefty fee.

links?

• Like 1

at a time back pre steam we use to have a teleport to outpost on the ow where you would go in to port click the little circle to show what outpost you wanted to go to like say plymoth if you had an outpost there then you would pop back out on the ow and click the teleport to outpost like you normaly would to captial dont remember why they removed it tbh seemed pretty useful

Going back to the post that queried what was being sold in the capital and the statement about not being able to teleport with goods in.

1) I like the idea that you cant teleport with goods and that should remain

2) Most of the assets that are being traded between players can be teleported with the ship, these are

a)The ship itself (Would be a nightmare if crafters having spent all the time gathering the resources then have to spend the time sailing from their crafting outpost to the capital to sell

B) Upgrades, mainly exceptional

There was a comment about pre planning... this does take place a lot, but there are a lot more fleets organised "on the fly", especially in my nation and especially on our nation teamspeak server

Now if you're not working and your schedule is free most days you can always time your very busy life style to fit in with these pre organised sessions

Unfortunately I am not so lucky and a good chunk of my day taken up paying for life, like many others.

For me to take advantage of these impromptu fleets that are not sailing locally, I spent time sailing to far off outposts, spending the gold to get a port in the hope I could teleport my ship and be part of a fleet that sailed into enemy territory.

Again, teleporting your pvp ship  once every X hours, maybe just once per day (real life time).  Is that such an abhorrent idea, it certainly cant be abused and I strongly believe will improve the Pvp. So in my opinion, to have this functionality replaces the fact that I have to work all day and can't spent all day playing games. I don't see anything wrong with that and for me I will get the most out of the game with it. Other than that i am kind of stuck sailing around my capital on local protection fleets which are most likely now going to be much quieter patrols due to this available exploit being completely removed.

It is present state (pre patch) is was too much, once every 4 hours being able to do it would be a blessing for me and many others

I also think that attacking an ai ship should only give you the option to sail your original (non captured ship) to your nearest outpost, however allow you to send the captured ship to any outpost). This would balance this ship teleportation to something more logical