Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

Interesting shift.

"Teleport between outposts(docks) is now without cooldown"

now we can really play at will !!! No more excell sheets and waking 10 minutes earlier to prepare our evening game session

• Like 5

Positive steps :) though will need to tweak the teleport mechanic to stop abuse.

Need to limit the amount of outposts we can have say 5 deep ports and maybe 2 shallow or even just 5 ports in general to limit the ability to teleport everywhere and stop flags and battle ganks etc.

By limiting the amount of outposts and ships being able to store there it will make for better tactics and strategy setup.

Rough example of proposed idea

Nation Capital can store 5 ships

Regional Capital big enough to store SOL ships and limited by 2 ships

Medium ports store 4th and lower stores 2 ships, to small for SOL storage

Shallow Ports stores 2 ships

Make players think more about what they store there, if this still isnt working then further limitations are needed to maybe 1 ship per outpost, Will also need to remove teleport ship to outpost to stop players moving rate ships around quickly via surrender tactics, if you want to have it there you need to risk taking it there in a group. Promotes more strategy and more thought for everyone.

I believe that the no cooldown for teleports is a must to provide casual players the ability to feel more involved be able to achieve more in this game.

Edited by Ronald Speirs

Nothing short of spectacular.

Direct and Indirect changes are superb.

The Teleports will change a lot. The 5.0 model seems to be a bliss with proper wood densities and thicknesses.

Can't wait to kickoff a new phase of the game.

• Like 1

After you cap a ship you should only be able to send it to your nearest port.

If I cap a ship near my outpost in Barataria I should only be able to send it to Barataria, not to my outpost in Charleston or Atwood.

• Like 6

I love this new patch coming. It will make for a much better play.

However, can someone explain the reasoning behind completely removing tele downtime? If the big cry is about these ports being lost in quick succession, would not you expect that actual travel time would prevent huge spreads of territory? 

I mean, if I knew my homeland would be unprotected if I ventured way too far out across the map in battle, and knew I had to sail that entire time back to defend, I'm pretty certain most people wouldn't spread so thin, and there would be much less complete obliteration of nations.

All this is will do is allow for the same situation to occur, but only at a quicker pace. I'd prefer the tele system be removed completely. A closer to RL situation of, If you want to capture all of the Florida coast in two nights, So be it, but you won't be able to protect your home ports, unless you sail all the way home.

• Like 1

TP change definitively opens a lot more of this game to those who, like myself,  have limited hours to play.  I definitively approve.    Anxious to see how this plays under that.  I hope this patch gets some players back and maybe keeps a few.   I'm afraid a good deal of the Player base for US on PVP1 may already either be gone or turned Pirate.     

• Like 5

Can't wait t try the Rattlesnake , long months waiting for this little thing, hope it comes with built in bonus for boarding like the privateer or pirate frigate, and the Indiaman was my vote if i recall correctly, hesitated a both between those two ships and i'm very happy to see them both appear in this patch.

"Teleport between outposts(docks) is now without cooldown & Teleport to capital (unstuck) is now possible only with the empty cargo hold"  

No TP with cargo is nice, but for the other one it means that i can do the turn of my 8 outposts without any cooldown at all ? Not sure about this one really.

" Spyglass added to open world " 

Amazing, next we need ships Nation flags to make it complete, thanks a lot.

" Ports will sometimes purchase ships from players on the auctions "  

So my endless frigates done to get the ingermanland BP will maybe find a owner if lucky instead of sitting i, shop not sold, good thing, 

Speaking of ingermanland, is the BP drop chance increased a bit in this patch ? As reported in many threads this BP is an unicorn , also will be nice to get it drop from something else than Frigate, like also from the Essex in addition to the frigate to avoid flooding the market with useless Frigates that will sell between 100-150k ... Especially now with new PB mechanics or we will end up in mono constitution fleets produced.

" Minor changes in pricing of blueprints and ships were done to allow faster tuning and design changes "

What does that means please ? 

"We are doing certain experiments for xp for travel for future exploration and other features"

Interesting, will i see the distances i traveled in game and such ? Exploration i am impatient for this one to come :)

Waiting to test all this in the next days, sounds promising and will bring some interesting changes, and finally real trading job ... well if all not start to move them production buildings near capital to avoid risky travels...

Will remain only NPC's productions elsewhere where you have to wait 5 entire days to get only 240 units of silver produced at a rate of 48 per 24h , if all prod buildings we can still find far away from capital get relocated by players near capital to avoid travels it won't make trading more interesting sadly, bit afraid about this part.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the great changes and nice work. 

• Like 1

However, can someone explain the reasoning behind completely removing tele downtime? If the big cry is about these ports being lost in quick succession, would not you expect that actual travel time would prevent huge spreads of territory? 

I mean, if I knew my homeland would be unprotected if I ventured way too far out across the map in battle, and knew I had to sail that entire time back to defend, I'm pretty certain most people wouldn't spread so thin, and there would be much less complete obliteration of nations.

All this is will do is allow for the same situation to occur, but only at a quicker pace. I'd prefer the tele system be removed completely. A closer to RL situation of, If you want to capture all of the Florida coast in two nights, So be it, but you won't be able to protect your home ports, unless you sail all the way home.

I'm guessing their thinking is move pvp...since you can now get to a fight quicker in greater numbers...

trtc_sig.png

• Like 1

This is going to be a very long day at work.

Awesome update admin, I'm looking really looking forward to playing these changes.

EDIT: Reading comprehension failure. The patch is coming tomorrow. Make that two long days at work then. The hype is real.

Edited by Enraged Ewok
  • Like 2

I would say that it's the lesser of two evils where right now battles are 0 vs 25 but with no teleport cooldown then it might actually get 25 vs 25.

Overall a game where battles occur fast is better than a game of empty battles.

• Like 4

I love this patch so much! Thank you guys! The changes to teleporting alone represent a huge boon to privateering efforts. We've been asking for exactly these kinds of changes for a while and it's wonderful to see you guys listening and implementing it.

Also really like the changes to being able to exit battle based on defenders' BR.

Plus the Rattlesnake! Oh my!!

And the whole host of other changes - clan tags in OW, clan warehouses, OW spyglass (!!!!)

I'm in love all over again.

Thank you so much for this, I can't wait to play.

• Like 1

Can someone please specify what this exactly mens?

"System allowing a much stronger side to exit battle has been reworked. We now take into account only starting battle rating difference situation at the start of the battle (previously it was dynamic). The rest works as before. If you were attacked by a weaker force - stronger side could deny battle and exit during first 2 mins (this is a legacy feature somewhat reducing the effect of trolling by light ships)."

May be a language  problems....  my first thought related it to only port battles,... is that true? 

"System allowing a much stronger side to exit battle has been reworked. We now take into account only starting battle rating difference situation at the start of the battle (previously it was dynamic). The rest works as before. If you were attacked by a weaker force - stronger side could deny battle and exit during first 2 mins (this is a legacy feature somewhat reducing the effect of trolling by light ships)."

May be a language  problems....  my first thought related it to only port battles,... is that true? 

No, it applies to OW battles as well. If a larger force is attacked by a smaller one that just barely has enough BR to not fail the tag outright (not sure where the threshold ends in this case) the larger force can leave immediately at battle start without waiting on the timer. From what I read in the changes, this is now determined only by starting BR. 

My only question is, does starting BR in this case refer to the BR when the tag finishes, or the BR when the battle prep timer ends and players can begin fighting? I'm thinking the former, but the wording is somewhat vague in that regard :)

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Enraged Ewok
  • Like 1

Under the old system, if the BR difference between the attacker and the defender exceeded a certain ratio - I believe 4 to 1 or something like it - then the defenders could exit battle.

This was calculated dynamically, meaning that if at any time before the 2 minute battle entry timer expired, sufficient defenders joined the battle to achieve or surpass this BR difference, then defenders could exit.

When I experienced it, it worked like this:

I, in my Lynx, tagged a Traders Cutter in the OW, but there was a second Traders Cutter nearby who also got pulled into the battle instance. BR difference was 30 (me) vs 20 (traders)

Then a few seconds later - before the Battle Timer countdown completed and before any sails were raised - a Renommee (BR 110) joined. Now the BR was 30 (me) vs 130 (traders + Reno) - greater than 4:1 ratio.

This allowed both the traders to escape the battle, before the initial Battle Timer countdown completed - i.e. before I'd even been able to raise sails, let alone try to cap one.

The mechanic was in place (along with the OW "BR difference too high" mechanic) to prevent players in small ships from trolling big ship, with the side effect of allowing a tremendously gamey escape mechanism.

Now, only the BR difference at attack initiation will dictate whether or not the ships can automatically escape - it will not be recalculated based on the BR of defenders who join the attack afterwards, as positional reinforcements.

Good change.

• Like 2

Ewok -

We now take into account only starting battle rating difference

Before the buddies jumping after the battle start would count towards the BR difference for immediate exit.

Now it is only the BR at the very start. Late joiners values are not accounted

• Like 2

No more compass wood welfare :(

You can still do it, you just need to find more ports to sell the compass wood to.

This, along with the teleporting changes, are a huge boon for people who actually care about the economy side of the game. As more than a broken faucet of magic money, anyways.

It will be interesting to see how the XP rewards for travel work out. Hopefully, they will serve as an additional reward to traders embarking on long hauling voyages.

Edited by Sansón Carrasco
  • Like 1

I'm guessing their thinking is move pvp...since you can now get to a fight quicker in greater numbers...

trtc_sig.png

Which in turn means that we can all go in an instant from one battle to the next. We all can tele from a Santi in an east battle straight off to a Santi attack on the west, allowing for quick takedowns of entire nations by having them surrounded by a single clan. At leasst with the old tele downtime system, you would have to wait until the next port timer came around. Now it can be done in a single window. Doesn't make much sense to me, but what do i know...

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne