Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

I like USS Rattlesnake very much !!!

A way to make players sail small ships more often is indeed to implement more such Corvettes/sloops-of-war. ;)

Aye, I hope we see more sloops of war in the future.

• Like 5

The end of the outpost TP cool-down is very convenient but I've got a bad, bad feeling about it

Are we going to see massive port flipping, incessant calls to defend or attack ports and increased player burn-out?

The 4 hour cool-down also let players cool down

No the end of TP cool-down is probably the best change, or one of.  Still have to meet timer requirements; still have to buy flag; still have to move to port and plant flag.  Will there be increase in PBs...yes and that is a good thing.   However massive port flipping imo will not occur anymore than it is already occuring...it is happening now just ask the USA on PVP-1. 

OK, here is indeed video proof of cannon shot from a connie passing thru the hull of a connie. Anything above the waterline went right thru. Anything at or below waterline bounced. I believe this is bad ship modeling and not completely a damage model failure. (or maybe a cannonball model failure). Also note that this seems to happen only in same and higher rate enemy. It has never yet happened to me when firing at lower rate ships.

i have no idea how to embed the video in my comments

Setup info:

My ship: Basic Constitution

Cannon: All longs at highest rate allowed

Built-in Upgrades: Fir, Speed

Permanent Upgrades: None

Installed Upgrades: Powder Monkeys

Enemy ship: no clue

Battle: 169xp Flag  Cpt Fleet Mission

(btw, this BR was way unbalanced, as seen in image below)

qcz2Znu.jpg

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Fixed the video for you. Just use the normal link to the video.
  • Like 1

According to the patch notes: "Defense timers cannot be changed by defenders after they were picked the first time. Choose them wisely."  We attacked and captured Biloxi this morning, and I was unable to change the timer. I logged out of the game and relogged and tried again and am still unable to reset the timer.

Is this the intent of the new rule and I'm just reading it wrong, or is this a bug?  

According to the patch notes: "Defense timers cannot be changed by defenders after they were picked the first time. Choose them wisely."  We attacked and captured Biloxi this morning, and I was unable to change the timer. I logged out of the game and relogged and tried again and am still unable to reset the timer.

Is this the intent of the new rule and I'm just reading it wrong, or is this a bug?  

Seems as though it held on to all port times set before the patch and made it locked. :( From my understanding, it should have allowed one reset for any port captured after the patch. Perhaps they should go back to pre-patch and let us set them on each capture.

OK, here is indeed video proof of cannon shot from a connie passing thru the hull of a connie. Anything above the waterline went right thru. Anything at or below waterline bounced. I believe this is bad ship modeling and not completely a damage model failure. (or maybe a cannonball model failure). Also note that this seems to happen only in same and higher rate enemy. It has never yet happened to me when firing at lower rate ships.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KyuhrjoFTKU

Setup info:

qcz2Znu.jpg

Same thing here impossible to penetrate an ingermaanland i just see my canonballs going through the ship and make a water splash

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KyuhrjoFTKU

Setup info:

qcz2Znu.jpg

Thank you for uploading this... It is exactly what needs to be seen so that hopefully we will get clarification if this is due to a bad hit box/damage model or rather graphics rendering issue.  I hope it is the former but I'm sure we will find out soon enough.  

I know I watched this video posted by 'Jeheil.'  In it, @ 6:15 in video, he is seeing shots hit the water in front of the Victory and his buddy, who is in the Victory is seeing them land on top of his ship...  Eventually, they both see the same thing.  It begs the question, what is going on?

Jeheil's video: 6:15 to see conflicting vision.

Edited by F4ppinFr3nzy
  • Like 1

7 ships from renomme to constitions vs. 1 Ingermanland.

First we shoot masts 30 - 40 minutes..no mast was broken.

dont shoot masts - use chain or shoot masts from very close distance

previously people were playing happy click click mast heroes from 1km from any vessel

forget that tactic existed - we don't want it in game

• Like 6

Masts seem a lot harder to destroy even at close range now

It seems the thickness prevents many hits on masts to deal damage to the mast.

Didn't you say a few weeks ago in Plakrocks stream you wanted to see more mast destruction?

Edited by Quineloe

Have you tried seeing the effect from the point of view of being shot at? Because initially that is what it looked like to me too until we realized the shot was just bouncing off the hull and not making a massive splash in the water like they usually do on deflected rounds. 

• Like 1

Masts seem a lot harder to destroy even at close range now

It seems the thickness prevents many hits on masts to deal damage to the mast.

Didn't you say a few weeks ago in Plakrocks stream you wanted to see more mast destruction?

no penetration no damage

partial penetration = partial damage

we said we are going to fix long range mast shooting meaning that it will be impossible to demast from 1km like in real life

we always deliver on our promises ;) 

• Like 5

Lol bold statement I hope this doesn't come back and haunt you there are ppl in this forum that will never forget you said that and will be searching this forum for other 'promises you made' ROFLMAO

we are very careful with what we promise 

demasting at lower mast sections  from 1km = hard promise = won't happen ever again

higher sections are possible still - people just don't shoot at them for some reason.\

Btw how is your comment is contributing to the patch discussion? it looks very off topic to me

• Like 4

no penetration no damage

we said we are going to fix long range mast shooting meaning that it will be impossible to demast from 1km like in real life

I get that, and it's good, but it feels like shots are bouncing off masts even at very close range - I need more hits to take down masts now in controlled environments, i.e. trader brigs side by side.

• Like 1

no penetration no damage

yesterday i tried long range de-mast, took me 1 hour to demast a consti in a inger.

Today, same setup, but at stern rake distance: 4~ 5 broadsides.

no penetration no damage

Except that now it is nearly impossible to Dismast a ship at 50 yards to....

• Like 2

Ports will stop buying resources if NPC stock exceeds 25000 - further changes to economy will be done in the next patch

We do understand this kind of change.

But as you konw some port have a stock of far over 100 000 because they where the only way to get money for sure, by selling iron for 222 gold [Victoria] or Compass wood at 1500 gold.

By your patch, you killed this "easy" trading?

But:

Does the 132146 in stock at one port go down in number on its own?

Or is this now permanent, untill one "stupid" player buy´s compass wood at 3000 a piece to bring the stock down to under 25000, so we can sell compass wood there again?

No info on that available in patch note.

Spyglass in OW is cool. But you still can't see a town's name from the distance. You still have to sail too close to the shore in order to read the town's name.

Edited by Guest