Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.7 - Land sighted

admin

• Attacks in the protected areas are now prohibited by design (even on NPCs) to avoid pulling your fleets into battles by hidden alts or by mistakes

Does this mean I can sit in enemy capitals after a gank and go afk?

I generally like what is coming, a bit curious about the effects of no longer being able to capture non-trader ai ships.

It's a game, it's not history. People will sail the biggest ships they reasonably can. There will never be a time when the majority of player craft are brigs, unless the devs make the economy extremely punishing. Admittedly keeping players down to heavy frigates and under for the most part makes a lot of historical sense, but then the devs sabotage this intention by making the XP and gold grind most efficient by sailing ships of the line and attacking AI fleets.

You raise a good point about being able to craft your own ships. Hopefully more people get engaged with crafting. Unfortunately I suspect that the crafting XP bottleneck, and the demand for 3rd rates+ will have most of the money coming from crafting those ships and their components.

The history thing was sarcasm ment for some people here , not you, but for now i cant see a big issue for me.

Even if they want the biggest ship and have to wsit 5 days to buy it cuz it takes that long to get the hours to build then with attrition there still might not be many.

You are 500% right about everyone wanting the biggest bestus fastestes thing out there. They why every squeeky wheel bugs me. Im gonna wait a bit before i panic. Hopefully for both our sakes it will work out.

• Like 1

well, we will see if the Devs listen to their testers or not but it appears to me that people aren't to happy about taking out the ability to Capture NPC ships and have them sent to your outposts. Overall, the patch seems pretty good most will agree but the overall consensus I am reading is that taking out Capturing(keeping) npc warships is not part of the good parts. What say you?

well, we will see if the Devs listen to their testers or not but it appears to me that people aren't to happy about taking out the ability to Capture NPC ships and have them sent to your outposts. Overall, the patch seems pretty good most will agree but the overall consensus I am reading is that taking out Capturing(keeping) npc warships is not part of the good parts. What say you?

I say it hasn't even started yet so i have no idea how it will affect the game. For me personally it wont affect anything exept maybe make selling ships easier. As far as some people being mad, meh the forums are basically just a place for the mad to come and the happy to not even know about.

Ill give it a few weeks then decide. Hope more give it more than hating it before its release.

I say it hasn't even started yet so i have no idea how it will affect the game. For me personally it wont affect anything exept maybe make selling ships easier. As far as some people being mad, meh the forums are basically just a place for the mad to come and the happy to not even know about.

Ill give it a few weeks then decide. Hope more give it more than hating it before its release.

wow, 14 pages of people crying about not being able to cap NPC ships.  am I the only one that thinks this is a good thing for the economy?  now people will build ships!  yay, is this a bad thing?

The economy is already at pretty much maximum capacity. We're collecting labor from every single clan member, yet our ship order queue is a week deep. I'm pretty sure this change will result in less ships for everyone, therefore less PVP.

I'm not saying this is a wrong decision, I do think free third rate spam was an issue that needed to be addressed. But as a stand alone, it's not entirely beneficial for the game. We need more productivity output, and buying more accounts can't be the solution here. Yet that is exactly the path the game is taking right now.

The sentence "You can't PVP today because we can't build you a ship until next week" should not be a thing.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 3

If you wanted to join a 3v1 gank as a 4th player - turning it into 4v1 - yes, you won't enter that battle.

thats exactly what 80% of the players wanted 

He is dead/captured anyway. Does it matter if 3 ships are attacking or 4? We are playing in a group of six - when we can find a good equal fight, it is awesome, when we cannot, we attack lonely 2-3rd rates that have no situational awareness. With this BR nonsense you have pertty much destroyed our party as well as mixed parties of light/heavy ships. Can pretty much rename the game to "Trincomalee Action". 

• Like 1

Yes it does matter. Every ship reduces the odds of him getting away anyways. I've escaped 4 ships before. If they had had  two more ships in there to work my sails before I got out of range, it might have been different.

Also, to turn your argument around, if it doesn't matter, why do you bring so many ships to begin with? Make two gank squads of three.

Also, to turn your argument around, if it doesn't matter, why do you bring so many ships to begin with? Make two gank squads of three.

Ever heared of "socializing"? We cannot stay and chat in one TS channel when 2 groups are fighting 2 different fights (and after today's patch this will happen every time), because it will be a mess. And no, in a 3rd+ rate you cannot escape neither from 3 nor from 4 Trincs, as well as you can't sink/capture them. So yeah, dead anyway, so once again, why going back to previously discarded artificial limitations? 

• Like 2

• Players who are pulled into instance will spawn in exact positions form the open world.

• If you have enemies ahead of you they will be ahead of you in battle.

combined with the 1.5 gank threshold

encourages teams to travel in some kind of formation to get get the whole team in the battle right at the start and to be deployed in a good formation for battle start.  And gives a team a strong sense that they will at worst have a nearly fair fight if they engage a team that looks fair. 

And we have 16 pages of whining about it. Amazing.

• Like 2

Guys you can still capture trader ships.

This is fantastic...everything I have hoped for and then some!!!!!

Capturing of NPC ships being taken away is very needed and will make the game far more interesting.

Edited by Wouter
  • Like 1

for me personally i will watch how the patch would work with all those features.

ok, I'm not happy with all the things (changes) in it but I'm happy that the DEV's do something to envolve the game.

but i think also that the craft/trade system must be a little bit reworked up to the frigate and then should be become harder to get ships like a 3rd rate and above. because I see to many "captains" sailing a 3rd with 50% crew.

even now where you can't capture battle ships anymore.

good changes i am all for them.prices for rates should b high . it takes a while to build and alot of effort even in a team it has to b coordinated. ppl will still b building yellow frigs , since day 1 we have said ppl will not build them after the devs change this and that. well they were still built and will continue to b built. even without an order.

too many ppl capped 3rds and there were alot of ppl ranting bout that on the forums ( i wasn't one of them ) , so the devs listened and changed it. they changed so u cant capture any combat ship , good move i think.

SLIGHT xp reduction also totally for it. although i do follow that it was too high to begin with , i do think it's ok to reduce it a little.

all in all , i'm happy with the changes and will enjoy testing them .

why people buy a "Early Access" or "Alpha state game" and then if things will be changed for testing, they come and cry? and this before they had it tested out, coz the patch isnt out yet. 

omg, game is dead,  omg, we have to adapt and need to change our playstyle, omg the world ends. :blink:

we are here to help the devs and to test it out in larger scale than the devs can do.    later in 1,2 or 3 days we can say,  hey stop, lets change back, it does not work this way, and not before the patch is out

Edited by Spawnie
  • Like 2

First of all, I think too many people worry too much.

I think these changes in this patch is great for the game and great to try out since it's ALPHA of the game yet, wich TOO MANY people forget ALL THE TIME!!

If changes weren't made to the game, the game wouldn't evolve. Trying different game mechanics is essential for a game to become the greatest of them all. If it doesn't work out, the devs can change it.

Let's give it a try folks!

The only thing that comes to my mind, but it's not a problem, is that Pirates should be able to capture ships.. that's what Pirates did you know. But, in fairness to the nationals.. then it would have to be something like; Pirates can capture ships, but not producing ships. Nationals can't capture ships, but they will have to produce them, given the Labour Hours for ships are reduced maybe somehow to make it even to the Pirates capturing ships. And then there must be a fair solution on how Pirates could have exceptional ships though, maybe NPCs could drop exceptional ships. Everyone should be able to craft exceptional upgrades for their ships, even Pirates.

And I would love to see max BR on Port Battles too.. so you can choose to bring some SOLs to the battle, or more Frigates, just to bring the Frigates back in the game more. You have shallow Port Battles for smaller ships, and Deep Water Port Battles for SOLs, but nothing inbetween for Frigates. It would open up a whole new world of tactics for Port Battles depending on what kind of ships you choose to bring.

The rest of the patch, I love it and I can't wait to try it out! :)

Well done, once again Devs!

Edited by Thomas Sailaway
  • Like 4

• Attacks in the protected areas are now prohibited by design (even on NPCs) to avoid pulling your fleets into battles by hidden alts or by mistakes

Does this mean I can sit in enemy capitals after a gank and go afk?

That is actually a pretty interesting point - Admin can you say something about it? -

And do you know the time when the server will get his update today? GMT+01?

Thank you in advance!

I just don't believe removing what has been a key feature of the game for many people, myself included, is going in the right direction at all. There aren't enough crafters with sufficient level around to match the demand. Every able crafter will be focusing on building 3rd rates, the price of smaller ships will go up, so will the price of notes and BPs, because more people will be wanting to invest time crafting.

But the worst consequence I can see happenning very quickly is the ganking boom. Gankers will be camping outside capitals 24/7 to cap player ships for their own use or to trade, effectively killing all non-PvP activity on PvP servers. Grinding will become almost impossible in some areas and time windows, unless you're able to group up with enough people to be safe, which will significantly reduce Xp and Gold returns on missions.

Seems to me like yet another upgrade designed to benefit the clans at the expense of independant / beginner players, as if we needed more of that...

• Like 1

Seems to be a very nice patch!

But why all this discussions now? Patch will come and changes will be tested.

Why harden positions and have discussions now before things are tested?

Just try out. If somethings sucks, the devs will change it back again or find another solution to try.

If they wouldn't have made some of these changes, some ppl would be unhappy. They do make the changes, some ppl are unhappy...

Thank you for your work!

I am excited to test all the new features and think most of them are great.

but there are a few aspects, I am not yet really confident about:

1.) Soften the ganking.

One great aspect of the game was the freedom to come across bigger fleets. I would rather suggest to allow some "call for help", invite friends to help, reopen combat.

2.) Combat NPC Ships

Another nice aspect was capturing NPC vessels. Having them for one or two battles and then scrap them or loose them. So Noone will be able to scrap a captured ship for blueprints anymore, "younger" captains won't be able to take a look at their next steps and last, but not least and already mentioned, not everyone has the crafting abilities and resources at hand. Here I would suggest a bigger "prize" when directly sent to admiralty and anyway - they should show up in NPC fleets, when sent to admiralty. Removing them from the map wouldn't be any benificial at all.

3.) Known Blueprints do not drop again

So there won't be anymore BP trading. The game just started to develop some "shadow economy", give it a market, don't remove the goods ;)

4.) Attacks in protected areas

Maybe this could also be reworked from prohibition to simply not pulling anyone in. Let players who were not attacked choose to enter battle or not.

I am very confident that you do your best to improve gameplay of this "Best Age of Sail Game so far".

Economy will also need continuous tweaking. The lack of captured manowars will bring up some massive impact on smaller nations, who do not have access to specific resources. They won't be able to build a fleet nor to capture one (Don't misunderstand me, I love games that not overbalanced, but this atm looks like playing a console-Jump'n'Run without any controller vs. autorun the game with cheats^^).

Reading some of your comments I still see the same olde complainers on here, moping about all the new changes, what you don't realize is this is still in Alpha and not the final release, so we need to make these changes and try out different mechanics and see which works and what dosen't before pre launch.

To me it seems those that moan on here all the time do it because they find it not beneficial to them.

I am 100% behind this game and support the DEVS in making this fantastic epic high seas MMO

• Like 5