Game-Labs Forum

National news reforms - Important

admin

1) Boo.

2) For the serious players, this will always be a community backed up by a combat game, not vice-versa. Supporting the community (which means especially the parts of the community are involved in the war and all of its social side-effects) is actually more important than supporting the combat.

Don't underestimate the ability for the community to drive this game, or the lack of community to kill it.

3rd party forums will happen but they will always be disorganized and scattered which does a less than ideal job of supporting the community.

• Like 4

This makes me a sad panda :(

I have always enjoyed the national news...but I'm aware that working on improving the game is a much more important step currently.

I hope this part of the forums can be re-opened at a later date, seriously.

• Like 1

You are underestimating time required to police the NN section; time that can be used elsewhere for example on helping new players, searching for great design ideas and monitoring the gameplay discussions.

Admin; I understand the impulse and the desire to remove the timesink for your mod staff (trust me I do- I'm a moderator for a fairly large subreddit, and I've moderated forums before), however- even with the shitposting that sometimes comes in, this forum, more than just about anything drives the RvR conflicts in game.  The back and forth smacktalking and rivalries we have in here contribute to the flavor of the game in a lot of ways, especially given that there are no formalized diplomacy mechanics in place right now.  I get that you want to focus your team on working on the development aspect and you want the playerbase on these forums to move to that end, however I'd also like to point out that in order to see some of the areas that need improving, you need conflict drivers, such as these forums.

That said, I think this may be a misstep, and I'd encourage you to consider it as such.  Perhaps, even consider a different tack with it- look at leaving it lightly-to-unmoderated, except for egregious offenses.  That way, you satisfy your desire to free up your moderators for other threads where it's more black and white, and the players here can continue to do their thing and drive the conflict that provides the content.

• Like 1

My personall opinion of this(and this is not official talk mind you) is that the NN should be reopened at some point, however for now it should be closed temporarily so that people get to cool down, hopefully start being more respectfull of each other irregardless of nation.

I see both sides of this....  maybe we should consider it a cool-down period like the admin states...  He did leave open the possibility of re-opening after a period of time...  Lets see what happens?

Nature of the beast. It will always be a hot forum. No amount of cool-downs or warnings of closures or requests to "improve" the chat will help. It's a hot blooded PvP community and actually a pretty good sign that people are really getting into the game.

Frankly it would be a lot easier to ask the sensitive people to stop coming here. "Report" button should actually ask them if they would like to hide the forum so they don't feel obligated to read it.

I kid, sorta, but seriously, I have yet to ever see anything posted in this forum that's moderator-report worthy. Maybe that's a tribute to the moderators that these posts are always gone before I see them but I would bet 90% of your "Reports" come from the same 5% of the population. The problem is really them. Some people see "Report" as actually the ultimate way to troll other users: by getting their posts hidden or getting them "in trouble". Banning the most prolific reporters would probably save a lot of time and be better for their blood pressure anyway.

It's like a real-life political forum. Some people just can't help themselves and really just need to to be blocked from the forum not because they are too toxic but because they are too sensitive. You can't run a forum by catering to the most sensitive people.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

Uhm. After all, this was the only section of the NA forum that was actually worth lurking. After it will be locked .... boredom will reign!

I enjoy suggestions sections much more. Maybe for a change people readily accusing suggestions of being nation-biased will leave these alone :)

Will see. 

Its 05.04 not 01.04 at least for me...dont know about you guys.

Without the heat and beeing rivals the game misses a real importent aspect. Yes while beeing mad about a game is bad and not like each other in a game is stupid it is an essential part of the game...........or you gonna give us our even fight as example 6x6 so we can do our battles in honor and respect and tell the other group in the end that they played really got and we were just lucky that we won!

And tbh I m not sure how more foucused I can be about helping you to improve, since i ve posted all my fear about the current Teleportsystem 10 times in other forum parts :)

PS: https://www.reddit.com/r/NavalAction/

Edited by Manta Scorpion

Nature of the beast. It will always be a hot forum. No amount of cool-downs or warnings of closures or requests to "improve" the chat will help. It's a hot blooded PvP community and actually a pretty good sign that people are really getting into the game.

Frankly it would be a lot easier to ask the sensitive people to stop coming here. "Report" button should actually ask them if they would like to hide the forum so they don't feel obligated to read it.

I kid, sorta, but seriously, I have yet to ever see anything posted in this forum that's moderator-report worthy. Maybe that's a tribute to the moderators that these posts are always gone before I see them but I would bet 90% of your "Reports" come from the same 5% of the population. The problem is really them. Some people see "Report" as actually the ultimate way to troll other users: by getting their posts hidden or getting them "in trouble". Banning the most prolific reporters would probably save a lot of time and be better for their blood pressure anyway.

It's like a real-life political forum. Some people just can't help themselves and really just need to to be blocked from the forum not because they are too toxic but because they are too sensitive. You can't run a forum by catering to the most sensitive people.

I would agree with much of this Slamz...  my retort would be that cant create a good atmosphere by catering to the toxins.    I agree that passion for the game is a great thing, but even you cant deny that some people take it too far.  Perhaps the ban-hammer would be a better tool that locking everything?  I dont know.  Luckily, i didnt have to make the decision!  ;-)

It`s sad, that NN will be locked down. I understand the reasons but some topics here were real gems, worth reading. Plus, as a ingame Dutchman I must say that for the most part I enjoyed exchanges with our enemies, both past and present. I just hope that after diplomacy implementation there will be chance for its reopening

The message is clear. Things like roleplaying, ingame politics and non technical MMO interactions are considered offtopic, as the threads in these forums are better to be used as discussing game mechanics, suggestions and development ideas for making a better game.

Personally I think it is a bit naive point of view, certainly after putting this game in early access on Steam, which obviously will bring in John Regular into the game that wants the interaction with players and not only the game mechanics.

Sandbox games and MMO's revolve around human interaction foremost, not around game mechanics alone. These discussion threads are a good measure of how the state of the game, and the involvement of it's players is going. Judging by the sometimes passionate posts one can say "cool down, this is a technical forum" or one can speak of an "alleluia" to the current state this game has already, with a sprouting vibrant game community willing to interact over pixels.

Again, personally, I think it's the wrong way to close off this adding gaming experience Game Labs can give the community surrounding Naval Action, but who am I to "flame" Gamelabs on their own forum for that?  ;)  :ph34r:  B)

• Like 1

Dear Captains

Over the last 2 months NN section provided the entertainment and information for Captains across Caribbean. At the same time it also provided the endless source of accusations, minor and major trolling and grief. It distracted players from being focused on gameplay mechanics, forcing them to participate in light forum PvP instead of providing the feedback on the game.  

The National Forums is good for the game not bad for the game. All of the best PVP games had such forums. It creates more passion for those things going on in the game and helps fan the flames of PVP. By allowing a place for those things to happen and being able to control it promotes your product far more than creating a sterile environment.

This passion will bleed over to your other threads because it is the nature of these players to do so. You will spend more time cleaning up threads rather than less. The existence of the National News forum allows you to run cleaner optional boards plus it allows you to see what players are actually passionate for.

I totally get it, you want this to be about the quality of the development not about politics however I would think you would want to see the results of what you created. You won't see those results without providing a free form political forum.

• Like 5

Honestly, this seems to be the wrong decision imo. I certainly agree at lot of bad posts are made, but I'd much prefer that the few people that keep whining in threads gets punished instead of the forum. It seems absurd that we for example can't have a friendly thread about the war between france and britain, without seeing the same agitators go in, shit all over the topic and whine about something off-topic and the thread gets locked, but they go unpunished to the next post they don't like and force the mods to close that down too. 

Give them a warning, not getting the hint? Fine, a weeks forum ban. Still not getting it? Let's go for a month. Then a year. and then permaban.

I very much approve of some light forum pvp and friendly banter, but locking forum threads and now an entire section of the board because of a few rotten eggs? Sorry to say so, but that just seem like bad decision making.

And won't 'General Discussions' become the new 'National News' instead?

I would expect it will be even cleaner than it is, with "OMG all the USA went PIRATE!" drama topics and fear-mongering gone.

Otherwise it will be very, very easy to get rid of any unwanted content, without the need to wonder what is the underlying reason for it.

Then start treating the NN as it should and not a place to throw personal insults threats ect. Role play a response as they would back in that time period instead of getting pissed off.  Prime example the Drunk fiasco that apparently went against the wishes of the rest of the nation, instead of whining about it and making tribunals and all that bs role play it out place bounties on their heads ect ect instead.

Praters old newspaper post are great example of such news reports.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I've gotten a sort of perverse kind of entertainment from watching the worst offenders show up in here to lament how everyone else has brought about the ruin of the NN forums.

You people have had all the time needed to smarten up and, surprise surprise, it just went further and further downhill. The community brought this upon themselves by being so immature that they couldn't handle a barely-semi-moderated forum without bickering like children. I guess you'll have to stick to patting yourselves on the back in absurd Suggestion posts where you accuse those you constantly troll of being the trolls themselves, and trying to grief players with inexcusable Tribunal threads to get them punished for not breaking any rules.

This is what happens when mommy and daddy get fed up with the mess and take away your toys, because you won't clean up after yourself. Congratulations, folks; you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I've gotten a sort of perverse kind of entertainment from watching the worst offenders show up in here to lament how everyone else has brought about the ruin of the NN forums.

You people have had all the time needed to smarten up and, surprise surprise, it just went further and further downhill. The community brought this upon themselves by being so immature that they couldn't handle a barely-semi-moderated forum without bickering like children. I guess you'll have to stick to patting yourselves on the back in absurd Suggestion posts where you accuse those you constantly troll of being the trolls themselves, and trying to grief players with inexcusable Tribunal threads to get them punished for not breaking any rules.

This is what happens when mommy and daddy get fed up with the mess and take away your toys, because you won't clean up after yourself. Congratulations, folks; you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Ho, because you are SOOO Clean. :)