Game-Labs Forum

Open letter to Game Labs regarding RNoN and DRUNK.

I fail to see ANYTHING in this gi-normous thread that explains away the fact that, by deliberate game design, EVERY nation is at war with EVERY other nation.  If individual groups or groups-of-groups want to form agreements with eachother or 'non aggression pacts' or call themselves king or slaves or whatever they have the freedom to do so.

NOTHING I have seen anywhere at anytime appears to state that anyone has the power to force other players to play by their individual and arbitrary rules.  Pirates are their own faction.

Sweden is in fact at war with the Danes and EVERY other faction, even if whatever-clan agrees no to pursue it.

IF this has seriously become a tribunal thing, I recommend refering this 'King' and his clans up to the Tribunal for Treason against Sweden and cowardice in the face of the enemy and for aiding and assisting the enemy nation.

Edited by VictusB
  • Like 7

Okay, let's play the "burden of proof" game, lol

Where do I tell anyone to play by my invented rules or leave? I am not even Danish or Swedish :D   Full quotes, please, if you will.

I asked you first. You're answering a question with a question? You could be a politician? :P

An NPC-government? Interesting thought except this government couldn't be able to buy privateers... so in the end there are no privateers either.

Isn't that what happens every time you get a Kill, Assist or Damage on an enemy ship? It's your privateer reward for attacking a declared enemy of the crown!

Actually, if you assume you are NOT a privateer and are therefore in the navy, then technically you are guilty of dereliction of duty for refusing to engage declared enemies of your nation. Banding together to create your own leadership that ignores the wars as declared by the crown is probably treason. Declaring to have your own king (who, despite his claims, has no power and no military beyond his own private army of privateers) is definitely treason.

You definitely can't win this argument on a roleplay basis. The actual game mechanics point to us being privateers who are literally given money rewards for attacking enemies of the crown, and everyone not in your nation is an enemy of the crown.

• Like 2

@Siju: When there is RP-wise no government (except that there are people roleplaying one, which DRUNK doesn't accept because they don't like their decisions), then there can't be privateers. Thus you are pirates.

If that's the case, then you're also a pirate, and so am I, and so is every other player in the game, as there are no legitimate governments implemented yet.

I asked you first. You're answering a question with a question? You could be a politician? :P

Was I talking to you? No I wasn't. I was responding to Evok. Another case of wrong quotation.

Off topic: I am not a politician, but a politcal scientiest by education. But that matters as much as working in an egg factory in this discussion :P

Every time you write a comment, I spend 5 minutes just watching your avatar. It's.. calming.. for some odd reason...

Do I need counseling? :s

Hah, I've used it for years, because it never fails to at least mildly amuse. It comes from a brilliant animated short film by Don Hertzfeldt called "Rejected". Glad you enjoy it, sir!

Was I talking to you? No I wasn't. I was responding to Evok. Another case of wrong quotation.

I don't think you understand what the word "quote" means. You keep using it incorrectly.

Anyway, are you going to answer my question or not?

I am not a politician, but a politcal scientiest by education.

That explains the evasiveness, then :P

• Like 1

I thought Sju explained the difference between Pirates and Privateers quite well, but I guess when a reasonable argument can't be achieved you can always resort to caps ;) I'm going to make this one last post before I no longer entertain these arguments. If the so called majority of Sweden actually thinks they have any leverage on us they're mistaken, we have absolutely no reason or incentive to stop our offensives against the French or Danes, and if you think continuing calling us trolls and pirates will make us fall in line again you're mistaken. The fact you ignorantly assume the devs will implement a diplomacy system that oppresses the minority is quite entertaining, what makes you think it will benefit you? It's just assumptions your mind is making to support this flawed "treaty" you're so desperate to maintain. This behavior will get you nowhere with my clan and I, currently we're quite happy attacking enemy shipping and there's no reason to stop. Unless you have a decent proposal I'd consider this discussion over.

But ur not acting as privateers. thats the problem. u are just acting on your own Accord AKA u are pirates.

When the danes you wont defend. u just run your Little raids on lonley traders and questers.

but i guess thats the scary thing about it, u dont care about other swedes. aslong as u have ur Little vendetta against denmark and french.

and you really need us to explain why there needs to be ways for the rest of the nation to get rid of players like you?

u are just acting on your own Accord

As are everyone else; there's no official "government" in the game.

and you really need us to explain why there needs to be ways for the rest of the nation to get rid of players like you?

As I've pointed out before, the ones who are playing the game improperly are you guys; you're making friends with the enemy. If anyone should be "gotten rid of"...

But ur not acting as privateers. thats the problem. u are just acting on your own Accord AKA u are pirates.

When the danes you wont defend. u just run your Little raids on lonley traders and questers.

but i guess thats the scary thing about it, u dont care about other swedes. aslong as u have ur Little vendetta against denmark and french.

Yeah, I'd say we're getting no where.

At some point folks have to agree that this thread will find no solution or resolution.

The is no right or wrong, only biased opinion.

As there is no construct within the game, all players are within "the rules" setout by the developers.

As councils are player driven "meta game", there is no obligation on "all players" of a nation abiding to said "meta game councils".

I'm uncertain why this thread is still open. Best locked.

At some point folks have to agree that this thread will find no solution or resolution.

The is no right or wrong, only biased opinion.

As the is no construct within the game, all players are within "the rules" setout by the developers.

As councils are player driven "meta game", there is no obligation on "all players" of a nation abiding to said "meta game councils".

I'm uncertain why this thread is still open. Best locked.

Agreed.

simple fix...  no more nation vs nation...    game becomes clan vs clan..   new players are 'handsoff' and automatically placed in pve only NPC corps until they decide to join a clan.

Clans allowed to establish their own ports and areas of influence , or just hang out at free towns.

Other clans able to come along and wipem out..

• Like 2

simple fix...  no more nation vs nation...    game becomes clan vs clan..   new players are 'handsoff' and automatically placed in pve only NPC corps until they decide to join a clan.

Clans allowed to establish their own ports and areas of influence , or just hang out at free towns.

That's actually not a bad idea.

i would be careful with such things dala...rest of the nation? Are you talking for EVERY single player in Sweden? I hardly doubt it...so please dont use thinks like "nation". You are only talking for your clan or maybe the council, but not for the whole nation at all.

• Like 2

I fail to see ANYTHING in this gi-normous thread that explains away the fact that, by deliberate game design, EVERY nation is at war with EVERY other nation.  If individual groups or groups-of-groups want to form agreements with eachother or 'non aggression pacts' or call themselves king or slaves or whatever they have the freedom to do so.

NOTHING I have seen anywhere at anytime appears to state that anyone has the power to force other players to play by their individual and arbitrary rules.  Pirates are their own faction.

Sweden is in fact at war with the Danes and EVERY other faction, even if whatever-clan agrees no to pursue it.

IF this has seriously become a tribunal thing, I recommend refering this 'King' and his clans up to the Tribunal for Treason against Sweden and cowardice in the face of the enemy and for aiding and assisting the enemy nation.

^^^

This

• Like 3

I fail to see ANYTHING in this gi-normous thread that explains away the fact that, by deliberate game design, EVERY nation is at war with EVERY other nation. If individual groups or groups-of-groups want to form agreements with eachother or 'non aggression pacts' or call themselves king or slaves or whatever they have the freedom to do so.

NOTHING I have seen anywhere at anytime appears to state that anyone has the power to force other players to play by their individual and arbitrary rules. Pirates are their own faction.

^^^^^^^^^^^THISSSSSSSSS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because they/you don't have to if they don't want to, and the people who try to pressure them into doing it are the ones in the wrong.

Nobody gets to dictate how anyone else chooses to play their game, provided they're within the rules (which these people are). And it really baffles me that some people are too wrapped up in their Napoleon complexes to see that.

Well thoose people doing their own thing, makeing their own enemys im fine with that. But when thoose people starts involve ports in this you drag in rest of the nation. So both sides are doing the same thing really in my eyes when it comes to that. So what side is the nation gonna pick to choose its fate, the 200+ or the 20+? It doesnt work both ways, we are fine with the people that doesnt wanna join ouer diplomacy to do whatever they want aslong as it doesnt involve port cause we are gonna get dragged in to it when we dont want to.

• Like 3

I dont understand why people keep trying to argue over this, it's leading no where. If people want to talk to us in DRUNK and negotiate then please do so in a friendly manner. We are just guys playing on a PVP server setting out to have some fun.

Spot on!

You are of course correct for the CURRENT game mechanics. At the same time, diplomacy is voted as the most critical gaming area in need of an overhaul..That says a lot considering the competition: PB's, crafting, content etc. The implication being that a lot of players apparently are less than happy with the current situation, for the reasons described in a billion posts.

Lacking the in-game diplomacy framework (in whichever form), has led to players taking this in their own hands: Pirates and Danes collaborating, french port jumping via dutch, peace, alliances and wars. Of course nothing prevents individual players from completely disregarding any deals set by the majority (currently). 

At the same time (currently) when the ingame mechanics framework is not available, you have to acknowledge the right of players to use out of game mechanics such as tribunals, forum posts etc...

As you point out you are yourself - Recommending a tribunal versus the king. Do that then, but don't complain when others use the same out of game functionality? Isn't that a bit of hypocrisy?

/Zpliff

That's what the pirate nation is for, it enables clan V clan action.

I would much rather sail for my country, It adds a whole sense of purpose to the game and enhances the historical feel of the game.

• Like 2

That's what the pirate nation is for, it enables clan V clan action.

I would much rather sail for my country, It adds a whole sense of purpose to the game and enhances the historical feel of the game.

If some guy were like you, thread like this one wouldn't even exist.