Game-Labs Forum

Bring Back Storm Maps!

Bring Back Storm Maps  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Should the devs bring back storm maps?

• Yes; just the way they were (exceptions for improvements).
    • Yes; but only after some changes.
    • No
  2. 2. If you voted yes, how much priority should be given to this?

• High Priority (devote resources to this asap after finishing the current works in progress)
    • Medium (if it requires significant work, get to it when you can)
    • Low (Keep it on the list, but it doesn't matter if it waits a year or so)

Personally, I've never had more fun in battles than the ones that took place on storm maps. They disappeared in the transition from sea trial battle mechanics to the open world and the new damage model. It's unclear to me if it was simply a software porting issue, or if there were complaints about gameplay difficulty. Either way, I'd love to see them back in the game.

Edited by Lupum
  • Like 9

Edit: yes with changes. Original storm maps were imposed without notice.

Storms within instances may be controversial, as were the storm maps before open world. Some players would quit if they spawned into a storm and it created animosity with the remaining players. It was clear some people did not like storms and they received no notice that the battle was to be a storm map. The occurance was random.

While I enjoy combat during the moderate storms of NA, I know that not everyone will.

Perhaps if instances reflected the weather of OW the players would have some choice to avoid combat in nasty weather by avoiding entering an instance while in a storm of OW. It would seem a little silly to exit a sunny fair day in OW and be dumped into the waves and wind of a grey day inside a stormy instance. Or visa versa.

Personal I hope the developers create damage from running aground and from high intensity storms.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 6

Original storm maps were imposed without notice. 

Storms within instances may be controversial, as were the storm maps before open world. Some players would quit if they spawned into a storm and it created animosity with the remaining players. It was clear some people did not like storms and they received no notice that the battle was to be a storm map. The occurance was random.

Yes, so certainly they would need to be tied to OW conditions, and they already have that for rain. The tricky part is the timing. Rain can follow the same time scale as OW, since a rainstorm that lasts 10 minutes doesn't seem entirely out of the ordinary. If you have large waves, you can't really transition into and out of those conditions in the same time frame. I'd be perfectly happy with no a permanent solution to that at first. Just have the battle start in whatever conditions there are on the map for now.

With regard to people rage quitting; I don't see that as being an issue.

1) In sea trials you couldn't lose your ship by exiting, now in OW you lose a durability.

2) You can just sail away in the battle and escape if you don't like fighting in storms. It's significantly easier to do this in a storm than on flat seas,

because it's harder for pursuers to see you, much less keep you tagged with chasers (cannonballs are nearly impossible to see).

Edited by Lupum
  • Like 1

My sense is that if people don't call for storm battles (the game's most impressive technological and artistic achievement so far), they won't ever reappear.

They take up space in the list of instances that can be run, and the devs seem burned by all the hate they received in Sea Trials. Well, the problem was simply their frequency. With the current OW weather, they will go back to being a rare treat.

Speaking of OW weather, what ever happened to the sever storms we had earlier? Seeing lightning flash on the horizon was a huge 'oh-shit' moment that I miss a lot.

• Like 5

Well, the problem was simply their frequency. With the current OW weather, they will go back to being a rare treat.

Speaking of OW weather, what ever happened to the sever storms we had earlier? Seeing lightning flash on the horizon was a huge 'oh-shit' moment that I miss a lot.

I like storm battles. But some people wanted to avoid them. I think it would be very helpful to coordinate OW weather with instance weather. That way players can avoid combat in storms more often, should they choose to. The result will be less hate.

The lighting/grey storms on the horizon was indeed a treat. I didn't know they had been removed. Thought I just had not seen them for a while .

My sense is that if people don't call for storm battles (the game's most impressive technological and artistic achievement so far), they won't ever reappear.

They take up space in the list of instances that can be run, and the devs seem burned by all the hate they received in Sea Trials. Well, the problem was simply their frequency. With the current OW weather, they will go back to being a rare treat.

I hope they are working on it and will bring it back more beautiful. If not that is just lame. 

• 3 weeks later...

The only issue with the storm battles was it was such a challenge to get hits and gain XP from, you spend twice as long if not more trying to kill each other, you could throw in more XP for them but you will just have those that will exploit it just like anything else to try and grind quicker, some will love the challenge of it and most others wont wanna waste their time in them when they want to grind, if the grind wasn't so damn annoying and time consuming then players wouldn't care about wasting time in these kinda battles, i feel that the grind just stops us from enjoying the game for what it really is, i could say more but you might feel I'm moving away from the storm battles but it does go hand in hand with the grind.

• 4 weeks later...

Bring back those storm maps, but please do not allow any ship type to sail under these conditions happily with full sails, right?

The one who sails not with the minimum of canvas flying should lose his masts within seconds!

• Like 1

I never played Sea Trials, so don't know how they looked or how it changed the game mechanics. I would love to see these, bound to the OW weather when engaging the battle. In terms of duration of the storm and the longer time the battle will take. You could just make the storm ease out after +-30 - 40 minutes, and turn it into somewhat calmer weather we have now.

Maybe also giving a chance of sail damage when sailing above a set percentage of sails (60%?), so people could try to escape at 100% sails but risk sail damage (percentage los) or even a demast? Some nice intesified wood cracking noises to warn the captain of the strain on the masts. Some nice close brawling, hoping you don't collide with your opponent. (Would even love some hard blowing storm noises to add to that).

Or just put in Storm battles at the x1 XP rate instead of the 0.5XP rate? Would love to see this!

I never played Sea Trials, so don't know how they looked or how it changed the game mechanics. I would love to see these, bound to the OW weather when engaging the battle. In terms of duration of the storm and the longer time the battle will take. You could just make the storm ease out after +-30 - 40 minutes, and turn it into somewhat calmer weather we have now.

Maybe also giving a chance of sail damage when sailing above a set percentage of sails (60%?), so people could try to escape at 100% sails but risk sail damage (percentage los) or even a demast? Some nice intesified wood cracking noises to warn the captain of the strain on the masts. Some nice close brawling, hoping you don't collide with your opponent. (Would even love some hard blowing storm noises to add to that).

Or just put in Storm battles at the x1 XP rate instead of the 0.5XP rate? Would love to see this!

FYI, I have recently watched Blacksails S03 episode 2 (I think) where Flint gets caught in that storm. So I might be a bit too enthousiastic and unrealistic with the whole storm thing.