Game-Labs Forum

What will people do once they have a 1st rate?

I'm worried a bit about the lack of end game once people get 1st rates... There is no need to pvp or conquest, they can't advance there character any more, game stops being a challenge with nothing to work towards so they loose interest.

Eve does end game well by having Titans, which I wish 1st rates where going to be just as hard to get. Play eve 8 hours s day for 2 years you still won't have Titan but it keeps people playing.

Potbs did pvp well, earning movs for winning pvp battles and certain ships require those movs to be built. Gave people a solid reason to pvp with strong incentives.

I love this game but I am worried that the lack of endgame will really hurt it. When people can no longer advance there character or Aquire bigger and better things it's challenge over, game over for many.

Thoughts???

NA is a Sandbox Game, so the "Endcontent" will be what the players make of it. In Alpha, not everybody sailed a 1st rate all the time and given the build cost of a SOL right now and the fact these things have only 1 durability (like ALL Ships should have!) i doub't this will be the case this time.

Doesn't have to be a Conni.  A Trinc well managed can take a Coni, or a 3rd rate.

Oh,ya!

Trinco first stop. Dat speed and dem chasers. Trinco is one of the few ships that can actually make a fight happen with the OW and instance disconnect.

Trincomalee is best <3 :D

I understand it's a sandbox and people have their own goals etc, 1st rates are big pigs that you are never going to sail all the time. I just strongly feel like when s game can offer no more character progression or something to strive for (1st rate) then many people loose interest.

In the games current state making sol rediculously expensive is the best solution. I'd be happy if it was over a year before we saw s 1st rate. Larger ships need to get radically exponentially more expensive. Give people reasons to grind do and do econ

I'm worried a bit about the lack of end game once people get 1st rates... There is no need to pvp or conquest, they can't advance there character any more, game stops being a challenge with nothing to work towards so they loose interest.

Philosophical answer :)

Well - it is the game.

Once you get the max rank you just start sailing the ship you love, fighting other people at sea. For others building a country is an endgame.

Or you move on. Being a paid game with no subs, we do not want to create artificial walls or chains.

New ships will keep you coming back to check them out and sail something different. But we think it is ok to lose interest from time to time. 

• Like 5

Philosophical answer :)

Well - it is the game.

Once you get the max rank you just start sailing the ship you love, fighting other people at sea. For others building a country is an endgame.

Or you move on. Being a paid game with no subs, we do not want to create artificial walls or chains.

New ships will keep you coming back to check them out and sail something different. But we think it is ok to lose interest from time to time.

No!!!!! It is not just a game! It's not just pixels and numbers on a database, it is a reason for living, it is THE game, the alternate universe that many want to live in. It's not battlefield, gta, Arma or counter strike, not something to log in and shoot some shit then log off.

No it is much more than that, we are naval captains embarking on an epic adventure that will take us back a few hundred years. We wish to explore the world, develop our characters and industries. Gain deep satisfaction from how many 1000s of hours we log in to this game.

Don't talk it down mr dev man, this is much more than a game, you are creating a dynasty!

• Like 1

There was wow, there was eve, there was potbs.

They where all good but now they are gone because we have the one, the only, "insert epic drum roll" NAVAL ACTION! The open world sandbox mmo of open world sandbox mmos.

• Like 1

Well, looking at the conquest meta in the month before the wipe it worked quite well even without a lot of incentives and if they add the soonish production buildings and port investment i imagine the conquest meta going on for months. And that would hopefully be enough time to add even new features, it kinds of works in EVE, let's hope it does here.

How do you know what this game will be like later on? That is a very negative attitude. This game is early access and has such vast potential. trading and exploration could be opened up both useless in a first rate. Who knows people might end up having there own outposts and small forts and ports.

This game is brand new why not worry about the start and mid game before the end game. 

I played eve for over 6 years if you think titans were a good solution to the endgame, having a ship that cant dock anywhere and needs a second account to be of any use I think your wrong.

90 % of Titans spend their entire life inside a pos and are used to bridge fleets..

The game is incredible good and with high level hype. I spent  in my life a lot of time in 2 great games. SOE Stars wars Galaxies, an incredible game and very fun until SOE (Shit only  Experience for kill and break great games) ;) (i mean Sony online Entertainment)until SOE killed the game with that stupid revamp who did that more than 100000 players go out of the game. And Pirates of the burning sea, a living world very fun where i did great friends there and great enemies too until this day.

I never had more than 2nd rate in battle. I had a first rate only for do the daily missions. And i enjoyed each minute only at sea.

Let me tell you that the feeling i have in this game is superb!

Yesterday i was sailing in this vast world with 2 friends, sometimes visiting cities, other times fighting with a ship. My God we  were fighting 3 ships vs a british 3rd rate patrol and we was over 40 minutes!!!!

This was awesome fight and we had to go to repair our ships!!!

In this game you are able to not see people in hours if you want or stay in an infested zone of players!!!

Its up to you!!!! Here you have freedom!!!

Your enjoy its personal and we are only at the beginning!!!! Lets wait for the developers who are doing an excellent job and  we will see what surprises they deserve to us!!! For sure, more ships , different ships, events, dailies .

I believe this game at level high is where the game begins! because i will have the resources for lost a big ship in PVP and continue. Now  is when i am stopped because my money is low and i cant do all!!! but  future.....

This game is awesome and all i imagine that POTBS could become... done reality!!!!

I encourage and express my gratitude to developers for continue doing such good job and this great game. This game is giving me a lot of hours of happyness and joy that i really need when i come home and my work is very hard and i need distract my brain alittle from real  worlds troubles and problems.

I think that this game for me will be endless!!!

enjoy yourselve!!!

Sorry for my english cause its not my first language, i hope you understand me. ;)

DEVELOPERS!!! i want my loved Ship Santa Ana!!! ;)  please ;)

Edited by Duque
  • Like 1

PVP and Nation Wars will become a thing for quite some time. Especially if they can somehow incentivize the capture of foreign ports. Supply lines aren't a thing but sacking warehouses would be great sport and encourage more attacking and defending of strongholds especially as wealthier individuals amass fortunes in favorite cities.There are endless opportunities with a game like this.

What I'll do, if I will ever get a 1st-rate? Probably die of shock and joy.

Nah, only joking, I'll go for world-domination then.

Problem is, I'm still in my cutter... :D

Seriously, I looking forward for a lot of big battles and as I hope, that there'll be always new player joining it will be a fine mix of all levels for quite a long time.

I see people ask this all of the time in other Sandbox games - EVE arguably being the closest comparison.

Both games have no "endgame" as such, aside from the goal of learning everything - or in this case, getting to the maximum naval rank, crafting/buying/capturing some of the most overgunned ships known to the era, and let loose.

It's all in the journey - and the interaction between players. If you're all about doing solo content, you will probably get bored fast once you hit the "ceiling", but the game revolves around the conflict between nations, and supremacy on the sea, and control of the colonies.

So I can only suggest you get involved in your nation's PVP efforts to push the front lines into enemy territory, because those conflicts are what drives the game.

1st rates have their place in a line battle or PB but the reality is you may never sail anything larger than a 3rd rate, maybe a 2nd in the OW simply due to the inability to fight 1v1 or 2v2 in such large ships. They are certainly worth using if you wish to assist your nation fleets in larger engagements but I have yet to see anything larger than a 3rd rate. I wish there was major battles you could enter just to be in awe of the largest vessels afloat as they go head to head with the opposition.