Game-Labs Forum

Amnesty for pirates

I suggest offering amnesty to Pirates once of twice a year. 

mechanics;

1. Every so often (and rarely) a nation offers amnesty to current pirates.
  2. If the pirate crew accepts amnesty, they become members of that nation. (variation on terms and conditions can apply, such as; keep current assets and ship, surrender 10% wealth in taxes, or whatever else was historically offered.
  3. Same rules apply now for the former pirate, as to any member of that nation, save that Amnesty will NOT be accepted again in the event that the crew returns to piracy.

Aye or Nay?

I'm with Maturin. Amnesty for pirates isn't some carebear creation, it's a real thing that's prominent in history. Even Blackbeard, probably the most well-renowned Pirate of them all, accepted a Royal Pardon at one point in time. Admittedly, he returned to piracy and was later killed, but nevertheless the example stands: pardons were available. 

From a purely personal point of view, why would the nations want to waste their time hunting down pirates when they could have those pirates give up and potentially become privateers for those nations? Justice is a pretty thing, but when contrasted with the real world I think you'll find that justice is dispensed where it's convenient, especially in the allotted timeframe. Pardons are quite simply easier than hunting each pirate down (especially if their ship has five lives ;) )

• Like 1

No. We choose to be pirate flights. Is the rest. No amnesty. One small problem though, for those who inadvertently clicks "without doing it on purpose" but still attention.

You will get a warnig screen, asking you if you really want to comit to pirates before it starts the battle against the own nation.

A pirate is an outlaw.

The pirate life of Naval Action is just what it was in real life.

If you want to play HollywoodPirate live you have to look for another game

Because the king's pardon offered to the Pirates of Nassau, the Pirates of Madagascar, etc. were all works of Hollywood propaganda

Amnesty shouldn't be a timed thing, but be available to local magistrates, and are not available for a long time after used

Edited by William the Drake
  • Like 2

amnesty was generally offered in exchange for...

it wasnt normally "eh just give up being a pirate and we're cool" there were some strings attached I would assume...after all they could just go "fk it" an obliterate piracy like the UK's navy did to the slave trade

Er, no they couldn't obliterate piracy. That's why they chose to try amnesties.

Ideally, an amnesty would be a serverwide event just after a great pirate victory of some sort.

The best pirate endgame would be to win an amnesty, so that players could actually spend the gold they had plundered.

• Like 6

I think amnesty should be something a Pirate has to pay for in Gold.

A number of times in the last few months I almost became a pirate by accident, targeting the wrong ship in a very busy stretch of water.  If I had been distracted for just the briefest moment and had missed the warning or pressed the wrong key I would have totally messed up my career.

Being a pirate should and must be an option, but a route back to the "good" side must be possible and painful.  I would suggest a forfeit of all gold, and vessels (ie. forced back to a lynx), but the retention of Rank & XP.

Yes, the pirate should pay in gold, a lot of gold and it should be a long process (perhaps 4 weeks game time)

There should be a chance that rumor of the upcoming defection would leak out in a pirates ships report letter so that fellow pirates can show their appreciation.

Wait a minute...

Most real Golden Age pirates ended up taking amnesty.

How can you be against that?

You got a point. So why not ?

Moreover, NA is a game. A player who doesn't enjoy playing pirate anymore should be able to change that.

But, just a thought :

Right now, there's already a kind of "amnesty" for players who don't want to play pirate anymore and want to chose a real nation.

They just have to delete their pirate character and create a new one from scratch. 

Losing gold and XP and grinding from lynx could be the price to be paid. The price of the redemption  ;)

IRL one can understand why nations could offer amnesty. It's already been mentioned by previous posters.

However, in NA, there are two kinds of pirates : those who decided to become pirates from the very beginning and those who friendly fire during a fight. The latter who deliberately hurt and backstab their fellows might have to pay more than just 10% or so of their gold for amnesty.

However, I don't have any clear-cut opinion about amnesty for pirates. :)

It all depends on what we are talking about : amnesty for the player or amnesty for the character ?

In a game as iIRL, one could imagine for a pirate character the kind of easy amnesty OP talks about. But can we for a player who easily friendly fires on players ?

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

It's too bad that there is not some way to retract a mistaken click when entering an instance and not firing upon friendlies.

It would be helpful to distinguish between mistakenly clicking a button and firing at and damaging friendlies.

If I join an instance and damage or sink a friendly ship there are no consequences. * But if we click inadvertently on "YES" when asked if we want to continue an attack and then fire no shots at any friendly ship ... our future is ruined. The mechanics seem backwards.

Seems like it might be better if a pirate is someone who intentionally fires upon, deliberately damages/sinks/captures friendly ships rather that a player that just makes one faulty mouse click.

* Edit: add - phrased poorly. There may be consequences if someone makes the effort to report the incident to a tribunal. Should have said there are no automatic coded in game consequences that effect a player's career

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would love to see players able put up their own gold as bounties on pirate players. If you board and capture a pirate player you collect the bounty. The Pirate player gets "Captured, keel hauled, bottom smacked and released by (player name, and date, bounty claimed) permanently recorded on his character Info. :D

• Like 1

Would love to see players able put up their own gold as bounties on pirate players. If you board and capture a pirate player you collect the bounty. The Pirate player gets "Captured, keel hauled, bottom smacked and released by (player name, and date, bounty claimed) permanently recorded on his character Info. :D

We had the bounty discussion some time ago

Unfortunately it is too easy to claim your bounties by asking friends. 

No bounty system will work unless the gameplay for the person is severely limited or account disabled for some time. If someone has good ideas on the bounty systems that work please post in a separate topic in the suggestion forum.