Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

We are in a very early stage of developement, we are just testing small portions of the game.

@FreshTheFallen So I'm assuming you work for the studio? Then why do you have a Member and not staff forum Title?

So you should make up your mind BEFORE you buy into an early access/alpha version of a game.

That's why i made the thread to make my mind up by getting some claffication and my doubts put to rest before buying the game but instead it was locked and none of the points was addressed which leads me to believe the studio prefers to be secretive and not transaparent. Hell I don't think anyone even know's who "Game-Labs" are. All we get on the Naval action website is that they are a studio based in Kiev. And we should trust them with our money... These are all details the media will want to know if Naval Action becomes a big success which it has the potential to be if the features listed on the website are accurate.

@FreshTheFallen So I'm assuming you work for the studio? Then why do you have a Member and not staff forum Title?

That's why i made the thread to make my mind up by getting some claffication and my doubts put to rest before buying the game but instead it was locked and question was not answered.

No, I'm not part of the developement team, I am part of the testing team, AKA the community. That's we all are doing right now, we are testing the game/various specific parts of it (atm Sea combat) and report back our thoughts, report bugs, exploits, make suggestions for improvements etc.

Your thread was locked because there are no definite answers for your questions. How can the devs possibly know what will come in 6 months?

Sorry Didn't know you was a Dev. It also seems to me that "PROTOTYPE" means that its not garunteed to be in the final release. Also my thread being locked about it wasn't a good sign of transparency from the studio. If people are buy the game and it turns out not to be open-world then there will be a lot of angry customers because that's what they were expecting.

Sir, neither myself nor anyone else need to be a Dev to help people/players find readily available answers to questions.  

The answers I posted came from the Dev's directly.  

Your rude little remark isn't needed, warranted nor wanted.

They've already told you, twice, assume the worst, as you already have, and you won't be disappointed.  Now, if you don't believe they will deliver on your expectations, fine.  Don't go casting aspersions on the player base or the developers based on a groundless assertion.  The only reason that thread was locked was to protect you from getting flamed and for the thread to devolve into the poo slinging spectacles seen in other forums.  Nothing to do with transparency.  If you have no confidence in the product or the developer then don't buy it.  No one is forcing you to.  I've already gotten my money's worth.

I would recommend that you take a step back and consider the way you've been carrying yourself.

This is not WT or WoT and those of us who have been here for some time would like to keep it that way.

G'Day

• Like 1

Considering we're all trying to answer your question, you're being really rude.

This is the topic is for questions to the devs not discussion.

No, I'm not part of the developement team, I am part of the testing team, AKA the community. That's we all are doing right now, we are testing the game/various specific parts of it (atm Sea combat) and report back our thoughts, report bugs, exploits, make suggestions for improvements etc.

Your thread was locked because there are no definite answers for your questions. How can the devs possibly know what will come in 6 months?

Thanks but if I wanted to hear opinions from the community I would not have posted in the "Questions to developers" thread which was supposed to be specifically for the public to ask the devs questions.

Sir, neither myself nor anyone else need to be a Dev to help people/players find readily available answers to questions.  

Your rude little remark isn't needed, warranted nor wanted.

Sorry if i sound a little defensive but I was flamed in the thread that was locked for no reason.

This is not WT or WoT and those of us who have been here for some time would like to keep it that way.

Yeah that would be nice, although some of the reponses i got on my thread would make me question otherwise. :rolleyes:

Johan.. you are off to a bad start and started to annoy our beloved players.

We develop the game with our players - community members. People volunteer to answer questions for us and help us tremendously by doing that. 

I suggest you go read this topic first http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2112-important-chat-politeness-and-such/ and then come back reformed and apologize. If you got used to something else (and like to be rude to others) maybe you should go play other games. Skyrim is a great game that does not require talking to other players. Consider this a warning.

• Like 1

Johan.. you are off to a bad start and started to annoy our beloved players.

We develop the game with our players - community members. People volunteer to answer questions for us and help us tremendously by doing that. 

I suggest you go read this topic first http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2112-important-chat-politeness-and-such/ and then come back reformed and apologize. If you got used to something else (and like to be rude to others) maybe you should go play other games. Skyrim is a great game that does not require talking to other players. Consider this a final warning.

I feel that is partly due to locking my topic and not following your own rules, is this topic for discussion or not? Members should not be answering other members questions in a topic named "Questions to developers". There was nothing in my original post of that thread which warranted others calling me a "troll" and being aggressive... It was just plain rude and showed the mentality of fanboyism. Imagine how it would come across if I was just someone looking to buy the game and wanted to be sure I was making the right choice?

I am actually a journalist for a well known gaming blog that was doing a piece on the controversy surrounding early access games, spercifically MMO titles and was also going to do a report on Naval Action itself as a game that seems to have potential.

If Game-Labs chooses to not be transparent that's there choice but it won't leave a good impression.

For example why would the CEO of the company call his forum account "admin". It all seems rather secretive for a studio who has worked on some major Titles such as World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, Metro, STALKER et al which you claim on your website.

I feel that is partly due to locking my topic and not following your own rules, is this topic for discussion or not?

It isn't that the topic is not for discussion, It's that there is nothing to discuss. You're expressing concerns about an aspect of the game that hasen't even been made yet. Your topic was locked to prevent It from turning into a flame war, as the dev stated earlier.

Members should not be answering other members questions in a topic named "Questions to developers".

If you look back, Balck actually directed you to the developers answer. Your question had bene answered before, by the developer. Balck simply pointed you in the right direction.

I am actually a journalist for a well known gaming blog that was doing a piece on the controversy surrounding early access games

Was being past tense, are you saying you're no longer doing this piece? If so, what's the point of bringing this up?

, spercifically MMO titles and was also going to do a report on Naval Action itself as a game that seems to have potential.

Naval Action doesn't possess MMO traits yet, and doesn't classify itself as an MMO at this time, so why do a piece on MMOs and focus on a game that Is not yet an MMO?

If Game-Labs chooses to not be transparent that's there choice but it won't leave a good impression.

Game-Labs is plenty transparent. The guys are fair, and take the time to intereact with the community. If you were hoping for more transparancy, again, concerning parts of the game yet to be released, you could have contacted them in private, as journalists often do.

For example why would the CEO of the company call his forum account "admin". It all seems rather secretive for a studio who claimed to work on some major Titles like World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, Metro, STALKER et al which you claim on your website.

The Admin account is not solely for the CEO, but as far as I know, It's shared between the developers. "Admin" Is probably just the default username.

Just because answers to some specific questions aren't public, doesn't make It a secret. I'm sure if you ask Game-Labs, they'll tell you who worked on what.

This may have been asked previously, and I have not gone through the whole thread.

Will all ships that are eventually put into the game or created overtime and the game gets bigger be based on historical ships? Will there be "standard template" ships? For instance, a 40 gun Frigate class ship that any nation can build/use

This may have been asked previously, and I have not gone through the whole thread.

Will all ships that are eventually put into the game or created overtime and the game gets bigger be based on historical ships? Will there be "standard template" ships? For instance, a 40 gun Frigate class ship that any nation can build/use

Yes, all ships in the game will be historical, as within the game time period.  All nations will likely share ships, something that isn't ahistorical actually.  Given that nearly all nations copied design features from all nations.  There will be classes and within these several ships to fit the role.  For example there are two first rates and two frigates (or three depending on how you view the Surprise) in the game already.  Each ship within the class will likely be balanced but different enough to provide viable choices.

I am actually a journalist for a well known gaming blog that was doing a piece on the controversy surrounding early access games, spercifically MMO titles and was also going to do a report on Naval Action itself as a game that seems to have potential.

For example why would the CEO of the company call his forum account "admin". It all seems rather secretive for a studio who has worked on some major Titles such as World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, Metro, STALKER et al which you claim on your website.

I very much doubt your first sentence.  If you were a journalist you would approach the game with an open mind.  You arrived with a bone to grind.  Secondly, you have been belly aching about cost, couldn't your "well known gaming blog" foot the bill for $40?  Do you know who started Game-Labs?  Do you realize that the statement you are quoting on your closing sentence is a list of projects team members have worked on not games developed or collaborated with by GL?  Also, you do realize that people change jobs, right?  For crying out loud, with a full time job and two young kids I've done more research than someone who claims to be a journalist.  All of it before purchase.

Naval Action has spread by word of mouth and by videos put up by players themselves.  People who have payed for it, played it and commented on it, showing actual game play.  I've yet to come across anyone who has purchased this ALPHA build that has actually said they were disappointed with their purchase.  So much so, that Pay Pal closed their account because the game has been selling too well and they literally ran out of keys in less than 48 hours once pay pal re-instated their account.  So again, what's your beef? 

You've just got here.  You haven't bothered to read through any of the material or any of the posts between the staff, admin and the players.  If you bothered to do so you'd find that GL actually listens to the players/testers reliably.  They open choices on ships and fix issues like the mortar brig, rudder bug, demasting, and many other things brought to their attention by the testers/players very quickly.  You keep insinuating shady business where there isn't any.  Game-Labs has been transparent from the start.  All answers provided to you are dismissed and you keep casting aspersions on the developer and player base without any evidence.

The only one being shady here is you.  As someone who has actually purchased not one but two keys, I call bovine feces on your shenanigans, sir.  I owe GL absolutely nothing. They provided a product I considered worth buying.  I then shared it as a gift with a family member.  Amicable exchange of goods and services.  I will, without hesitation, support a good product and developer.  This being the one and only early access game I've ever backed.  Not because I'm new at this but because they put out something that not only met but exceeded my expectations, even in its current state.  As an age of sail fan, this has been the single best experience I've ever enjoyed in the genre, hands down.  End of story.  Period.  And it is ALPHA!

So, let me reiterate.  No one is forcing you to buy this game.  If you believe what you've been spouting, just walk away and let bygones be bygones.  Don't start crap where there isn't any.

PS.  Until you provide proof for any of your claims consider yourself on my ignore list.  G'day.

• Like 3

Hello,

I'm really excited about this game, but I have one question: Will there be a retail-version of this game?

Thanks!

Regards

JagEngland

not in its current state nor in the next 1 year when there will be an ,,release,, if you want to call it that since it will keep expanding.

and to make it clear for our beloved 'Friend'

yes this thread is called Questions to Developers why do normal people answer your questions?

because they know the answer since they are longer around and the Devs can focus on working on the Game and dont have to bother asking the same Question on a daily basis. 

be happy that normal people try to answer your questions as soon as possible so you dont have to wait a day or two.

Will the amount of cargo, amount of shot carried, number of crewmembers, etc., increase the TOTAL weight of a ship and thus make it slower than an equal ship without cargo?  It should sit lower in the water after all.

I believe maintanance will be required for the ship, such as barnacle removal.  However, if that maintanance cannot be paid (and the barnacles continue to grow, or the sails get rotten), will the ship become slower?

What other variables might be planned for the physics model that will separate the same ships so they don't all perform the same?

Yes.

There is a rudimentary AI in place to allow players to practice via Bots (PvE mode), and also a PvP mode that allows players to fight against other players.

Both sides are separated into a Light (smaller ships) and Normal (all ships) mode, with PvP also having a two player Duel mode, and a large-scale "Trafalgar" mode that requires larger ships with a minimum of 10 on 10 (I think).

All modes require you be online (other players may join to fight you cooperatively in PvE mode), there are no "offline" modes.

A quick reminder - the AI is still in an early state - they're pretty predictable and don't do things that players will, like load doubleshot or use their repairs intelligently.  They're good to practice with a new ship or to use to get a hang of things.

Just a few simple game related questions (properly asked before but anyway):

1) Will hollow and angel (bar, similar to chain but does more hull damage) shot be added to ship battles?

2) Will you allow persons to buy premium accounts that exclusively give cosmetic content (no PTW) and allow us to add $5 a month or so to the game (I would love to contribute $5/month for some cosmetic features... maybe the ability to change the name of my ship every 24 hrs, pink sails and gold plated cannons... yes the history freaks would hate that but someone needs to help keep the servers up :P)?

3) Will we have Esport battles in alpha, e.g. a 1v1 knockout cup in cutters every weekend?

4) Will bow ram damage be decreased? I have been cut across the bow 3 times by cutters and brigs while in the snow and have exploited the mechanic myself against snows with a 50% success (which is good, considering a cutter or brig should not be able to beat a snow):

1) Overtake a bigger ship that has no more repairs
2) Fire a shot of double at the front

3) Slow down and pull across him, breaking his bow as he collides with your side

4) Pop a repair and sail off with an evil grin on your dirty face or if fighting a snow and both have no repairs just laugh because he will sink faster usually.

Frankly it seems to be 2 much damage still, side of ship should take less damage but ramming is ugly and should have little effect on gameplay.

1 maybe later when you have to buy or make your own ammo

2 Guild Wars 2 model you buy the game its yours + ingame shop for minor things to aid keeping the servers running noting P2W like, yes some ships like the Yacht will be there most likely but nothing like a Frigate or Lineship

3 yes allready confirmed by Admin you can hire escorst (NPc that sail with you in convoy) wich when atacked start inviting Navy Captains to join when some are aviable if not: NPC suport.

4 damage goes to both ships once you have to pay/earn/work for your ship ramming will become less

5 ??? you mean capturing after beating and boarding it?

6 you can chose the ammo loadout by  pressing  1 2 3 4 for chosing the guns left.right,bow,stern  then 1 2 3 4 for Ball Chain Double Grape.

7 and sink yourself in the progress too? i recomand overthinking your tactics or you run out of ships and mone ypretty soon.

8 if you have enough repairs left yes why are you even asking such things <_<