Game-Labs Forum

Important! Chat. Politeness and such

I must say that thus far the participants in the Alpha has been the most friendly once I have met in any games I have played Alpha or Beta in.

Most of you are helpful. The discussions are fun.

Lets work on this so it continues like this.

There are a lot of things we can do to create a good atmosphere.

1) if you are OP, like in a constitution agains a lynx or something. Pls help the poor shap instead of smashing him. let him fire some round behind your ships and practice with the guns you have behind you. or let him just shoot a bit and get xp.

2) Give advise and help others in games. Not all know what you know.

3) To say "I am sorry" is very helpful. To not rage when you are rammed by the same teammate for the second time in 2 games, give him some adise and crack jokes. Rage creates no good atmosphere.

4) Say hi!

5) Pls sink immediately every time I shoot you. (Hmm, sorry, no that should not be in the list.)   :-)

6) Stats are nice. But you are not better or more worth because you have a bigger dick ship or because you are fabolous at aiming and sailing.

Above all!

have fun!

• Like 20

Hey there ligatorswe!

I agree with your statement, the people in this community are the best I have ever seen in an online game! I hope this lasts well beyond the Sea Trials :)

Every battle I had with you, you were outnumbered, sorry about killing you on such circumstances.

Cheers

Totally agree with this thread - definitely a good vibe from everybody. Think the change to damage was a good move as it's taken away the fear of losing and encouraged more people to stay even when the odds look bad. Sometimes proves a good time for some friendly banter.

• Like 1

the community and the forumclima got damaged and its not how it used to be when i signed up.

how predictable and yet i didnt wanted to realise it. i'll keep watching from the shadows from now on.

Nah, don't do that. Instead, stay out here with the rest of us and continue to help shine a light on what will not be tolorated by the communitity at large. We can all pull back and let knucklehead behavior take over or we can call it out when observed and, probably more importantly, help to model and identify what is acceptable interaction and communitity behavior by displaying it in how we respond to others.

Dont give up the ship too soon, hang with us openly on the forum and in game just awhile longer and see if some of these areas improve :D

Nah, don't do that. Instead, stay out here with the rest of us and continue to help shine a light on what will not be tolorated by the communitity at large. We can all pull back and let knucklehead behavior take over or we can call it out when observed and, probably more importantly, help to model and identify what is acceptable interaction and communitity behavior by displaying it in how we respond to others.

Dont give up the ship too soon, hang with us openly on the forum and in game just awhile longer and see if some of these areas improve :D

I haven't personally encountered any "knuckle-headedness" to be perfectly honest.  Yes, some belly-aching in the main chat about certain ship's performance and power-gap (once) - but every match I've played so far has been an absolute pleasure, and post-match is always filled with congratulations like "GG" or "GJ" or "GF".  Most players of Naval Action I've met are of pretty decent character, and now that the "Win" conditions' been replaced with Damage, I've seen some extraordinary tactics even against insurmountable odds.

I come from such places as World of Tanks (forum's an utter joke), War Thunder (Draconian Moderation that has to be enforced to keep the mongrels from tearing the place down), Star Citizen (forum paranoia combined with buyer's remorse and bad reading comprehension - lovely) and I had a very, VERY short stint in EvE.  I don't think I need to tell you how that went, or how those forums are.  I hear Planetside 2 is just as bad, though I've never tried it.

Until this community reaches it's initial critical mass, we'll still have a pleasant place to hang our hat, methinks.  After that, however, it may just go as Mirones fears.

• Like 3

leaving the ship to soon? you didn't realised that i am THAT guy that would tie up himself at the bow when the figurhead gets lost in storm to poke random sharks with his cutlass.

• Like 2

I concur with and second Ligator's post.

The culture and climate of this community has been very refreshing compared to other gaming forums.  Nurture this and as new arrivals make their way here, they'll likely adjust.  Yes, there's been some crap slinging on a couple of threads that seemed out of character with the general demeanor of the forum.  Hopefully this doesn't lead to a new pattern of behavior.  I think it would be helpful if people took a step back and not let tempers flare so easily or get personal when interacting with each other over such a medium.  It doesn't help anyone and merely drags the tone and demeanor of the conversation down.

That said, in game, everyone has been a gentleman.  We tip the hat, sling lead, and salute on the way out.  Then we do it again.

• Like 1

You are also the ambassadors of the culture.

So feel free to impose it whenever you see the behavior that is not to the spirit of the age of sail. We will support you in this endeavor. 

Reporting tools will come by EA, after chat rework. 

• Like 5

Topic is extremely important for the healthy community. Moved it to sea trials. 

Of course we are not building a nursery home, and sometimes a well timed curse word could lighten up the situation..

But being overly rude and unhelpful will be counter-productive to what we want to achieve. Such players will eventually lose their tongue ability to use chat and development forums.

There is just simply no need to be rude. Many times people just have to be educated and are not doing things on purpose; for instance I have been hit via friendly fire both with cannonballs passing through ships and when a ship was raking one that I engaged. When I spoke to them they weren't aware of the friendly fire and all was amicable. I have been known to be irascible at times but I must confess there has been no cause for it here.

1) if you are OP, like in a constitution agains a lynx or something. Pls help the poor shap instead of smashing him. let him fire some round behind your ships and practice with the guns you have behind you. or let him just shoot a bit and get xp.

Sorry , no cigar. I'm just out of the game in one of the worst moods possible. My constitution pitted against a brig and a trinco. I had the brig several times on my disengaged broadside, didn't fire once so the chap could get some damage while the battle was going.  The trinco was being well driven and giving me a pretty good fight, I'm concentrated on takin him out...

when this...I'm not going to use the adjective he deserves... slams his ship against my bows in a headon crash taking my bowsprit with him. He ruined the whole battle with an absolute dick move. I couldn't spare a repair for the bowsprit, and without it the trinco was easily able to outmaneouver me and massacre me.

Sorry, but I'm not doing that again. I may allow someone to put some shots on me at the battle's end if I have enough armor to spare, but during the battle, from now on any small ship I have on my sights is going to pay for the consequences of being there the second I have a shot. I'm not going to have this BS pulled on me again after I've been generous enough not to propel someone into orbit with 24 pounders so he can get some damage in a game only to see him turn around and use his ship as a guided missile.

• Like 2

Even if a smaller ship didn't do these things then I wouldn't be in favour of allowing him to cause damage for the sake of it. Should you engage them then they shall learn that they need to fire from range (if against a superior foe) otherwise they shall pay the price. Or if they can master the wind and make their way to a raking position. This would then increase their understanding of the game and would help to build the competency of the player base. Alas if you generally give someone an inch then they shall take a mile as was done is RAMJB's case.

Sorry , no cigar. I'm just out of the game in one of the worst moods possible. My constitution pitted against a brig and a trinco. I had the brig several times on my disengaged broadside, didn't fire once so the chap could get some damage while the battle was going.  The trinco was being well driven and giving me a pretty good fight, I'm concentrated on takin him out...

when this...I'm not going to use the adjective he deserves... slams his ship against my bows in a headon crash taking my bowsprit with him. He ruined the whole battle with an absolute dick move. I couldn't spare a repair for the bowsprit, and without it the trinco was easily able to outmaneouver me and massacre me.

Sorry, but I'm not doing that again. I may allow someone to put some shots on me at the battle's end if I have enough armor to spare, but during the battle, from now on any small ship I have on my sights is going to pay for the consequences of being there the second I have a shot. I'm not going to have this BS pulled on me again after I've been generous enough not to propel someone into orbit with 24 pounders so he can get some damage in a game only to see him turn around and use his ship as a guided missile.

I was the player in the Trincomalee in the aforementioned battle, I also got a little pissed that he ruined a pretty fun cannonball exchange. We were both beaten down, but timing of repairs and aiming could have won the situation for either of us.

When I am alone against a far inferior ship, I let them destroy a big portion of my hull, even after wasting repairs, then sink them in two broadsides, but I wouldn't do that when busy with another player. But I get you Ramjb, you just wanted to be helpful!

Perharps next time the fate of the battle is decided by skill and seamanship, not rammers!

• Like 1

Remember if you say hello to a new player and ask him if he has any questions, as I often do, also tell them that enter is what they press to chat, twice now after I added that tidbit to a silent player I got an 'ah, thanks mate' because they didn't know how to respond. I remember when I first joined people were talking to me and I didn't know how to reply back either.

On the ramming and it's relevance to politeness: I've commented that I thought it was overpowered, but never that it was a cheat or a dirty move, though I've only used it accidentally myself.

I've seen a couple of players going mental in chat because they were rammed by an enemy and everything deteriorated into a name calling fest (I'm not talking about Ramjb, I didn't see that battle and I do understand his point about not going easy on anyone anymore).

This is a game of course, but it is a game that aims to replicate warfare. Ramming has happened in every age of naval warfare.

However the problem lies in that ramming was pretty rare in the age of sail and that was because it was suicidal, hard to pull off in the first place and largely ineffectual. The bow was the hardest part of the ship to repair, especially at sea and it could become stuck in the hull leaving the ramming ship vulnerable to repeated broadsides. So only in desperate circumstances was it used.

Once it became tactically more feasible and productive to ram in the age of steam and ironclads, it began to happen more.

Navies didn't avoid ramming because it was dirty and they didn't start ramming again because they suddenly got dirty. It was a matter of it being tactically prudent or not.

It might surprise some that at Trafalgar, Nelson in the Victory attempted to ram the Neptune unsuccessfully and instead rammed the Redoutable in the port bow and the momentum carried both out of the line.

Temeraire also rammed into the Redoutable.

I'm sure the captain of the Redoubtable would've been blowing up the chat ;)

If a player wants to ram, let them, as long as it is not a gamey exploit of a bug, which if it is, now is the time to let it happen and the devs can take a look at the mechanics and damage of ramming to see if they need to be changed. 

• Like 1

I agree that tactics are improving with the elimination of the win requirement.

Are there assholes jockeying some of the ships and plowing into players, killing a great match as what happened to RAMJB and Oneironz?

Yep, and always will be to some degree or other. Some of it will be intentional, some just stupidity of having played Total War Rome too much where depending upon the ship ramming is sometimes a good tactic. As NorthernWolves pointed out, in NA it probably does not make sense in most tactical situations, as typically, the rammer will take most of the damage.

Collectively we are the communitiy and can rein in any "loose cannons". I honestly believe that most new folks will act the way the existing base acts and what they tolerate. Those that choose not to, well, we just take them out to the woodshed and "tune 'em up" ;)

And Mirones, I was gonna have a likeness of you commissioned to be carved and mounted to the bow of my next ship just to terrify the guys facing me on the other side. But now that you said that you would tie yourself there I can't. The guys on the other side will now be confused and won't shoot, fearing that it might actually be you, having tied yourself there. :D

Interesting thread, and the esprit de corps online is great so far. Makes me think of a couple of things though, especially when this all scales up:

1. Duelling - for settling the really rancorous disputes, how cool would it be to have a mini-game with your choice of weapons at dawn, accompanied by your seconds etc.

More seriously...

2. Rated vessels firing on unrated vessels. This was completely outside the ethos of war in this era, UNLESS fired on first. Maybe it should be impossible for a rated vessel to fire on an unrated vessel until damage is received from that vessel or that vessel damages an ally.

3. I still maintain that ramming should cause you to lose all or most of your rig and force survival mode until you have cut free the wreckage.

I recall a player in PotBS refusing to fire on a red devil xebec in his Invincible (obsolete) due to not firing on a smaller ship unless fired upon. The xebec boarded his Invincible and captured it. Made for an interesting read in the nation chat, but I digress. 

A warning shot would tend to be fired to hove the ship too, if this wasn't answered then a shot into the rigging tended to work. Alas the ethos of back then was entirely different to today and as much as I would love to adhere to it, my example above states why i cannot see it happening.  I completely agree that ramming should indeed cause damage to the masts as opposed to just removing the bowsprit/jib-boom as it does at the moment. Also I enjoy the idea of having to use the Survival discipline to cut away the damaged rigging.

• Like 1

Now, as then, there are some worthy of the status of gentleman, and others are just brigands

2 things that have been annoying me, and do not really benefit the alpha test.

1) "This aint fun for me"

The latest round of players introduced don't even give a  battle a chance (my trin + brig vs const ) and say something like "this is no fun for me" and drop. Even when the big ship players on both sides are encouraging them to stay, and make it a learning experience for them, or put another way to help ALPHA TEST NA!. There should be some penalty for early exit from a  battle with other players to discourage the behavior.

2) Rage boarders/ early game ram.

ok. this is NOT Potbs (NA is already much better in so many ways) there is no magical debuff you can apply. Rage boarding with your crew of 100 vs my crew of 250 does not mean I'll keep the extra guys below and release them in waves while you drink potions. No, they're all coming out and overwhelming you. All it does is mess with some really good large pvp matches. Alright, maybe they should get one pass at trying it, but to see the same action game after game from the same players was really frustrating the other night.

Overall, this is a good community, and I think it will continue to strengthen and grow. But to make it the best game possible, those of us in the alpha test should sometimes engage in  testing the game to help make it better.

It does seem odd why some people refuse to fight (even unfair odds) in the pvp match-up at the moment. Considering that you lose nothing in the alpha it just makes very little sense to get upset. Wins/losses, it should be more for the experience than the result. Even if you do go against greater odds then you can learn from mistakes and develop into a better player by using different tactics to achieve your eventual goal. Admiral Bing was shot for less so have that in mind and do your utmost, whether it be that you achieve victory or go down with all guns blazing to give the opponent a Pyrrhic Victory. 

• Like 1