Game-Labs Forum

A Public Open World map

As many of may know OW has no map yet. Im sure some map will come at some point, but for now most of us use Google Map witch is also fine.

But google maps doenst show where to keep a look out for pirats or other player on a raid for gold. So i made a quick map, with the most bacis stuff i know about. So far i have only been close to Peurto Rico

and the Virgin islands, so i cant put all this on the map alone. I was hoping that people who wanted could copie the map and put stuff they know about on the map and then repost it, until the map is really good. I put all the flags in the buttom, too make it easy, and feel free to add tips and tricks to it. :)

D7UtLJr.jpg

Edited by mortenlnielsen
  • Like 6

I actually like the lack of a map to be honest. While yes, a localvmap of things in the general vicinity, not having a "live" world map adds to the realism and accentuates the vastness of the OW. It's so much more fulfilling finding land or a location when your sailing by cardinal directions and the seat of your pants only.

Now, if we had charts (that aren't 100% accurate) in which we filled in the black ourselves, I think that would be nice.

• Like 2

I actually like the lack of a map to be honest. While yes, a localvmap of things in the general vicinity, not having a "live" world map adds to the realism and accentuates the vastness of the OW. It's so much more fulfilling finding land or a location when your sailing by cardinal directions and the seat of your pants only.

Now, if we had charts (that aren't 100% accurate) in which we filled in the black ourselves, I think that would be nice.

Totally agree, i love using an actual map right now, and speciely becuase im new to OW, when you set sail and leave the port you have no idea where to go, or where you are gonna land. Where a few degress on the compass can make you hit Haiti insted of Peurto Rico Makes you feel like an adventurer

Edited by mortenlnielsen
  • Like 1

Added 2 neutral ports - Pitt's Town and Baracoa for beginners, so they atleast know where they are...

On previous posts - I agree. The only thing I don't like is that I have to use map outside the game...

Qwq1ED5.jpg

Edited by uldo
  • Like 2

There is a free map... g****e maps ^^

I do hope there wont be a map where you do see everything. I see maps more like something explorer will create while exploring some waters. So they should be able to sell those maps and such map is completing you own map set. But it is only static and not showing any map updates. So if a city got sacked by Spain and you didn't get an update of the map where the city is Dutch, you might have a problem at hand. Furthermore it will be nice if you would be able to use geometric tools on the map to plan your own routes etc. If someone else did suggest something like this before, i apologize for having the same idea. ;)

As my day job I develop mapping software and related data applications, so I quickly created an OpenWorld mapping application.

http://arcg.is/1F3BtOD

I am looking to add more content.  Ports, PVP areas, NPC areas, trade lanes etc..  I won't add any content unless someone offers or gives permission.

Post your content here in the following format and I will add:

• A location (lat,long or pic of location on a map),
  • Type of content (port, PVP area, trade lane etc), 
  • X, Z - OW map location, hit F11 to view the position
  • Comments

All content is welcome, it will be up to others to verify or correct...

ps. given time I will convert one of the classic West Indies maps to the base map.

Quartermaster

• Like 4

As my day job I develop mapping software and related data applications, so I quickly created an OpenWorld mapping application.

I am looking to add more content.  Ports, PVP areas, NPC areas, trade lanes etc..  I won't add any content unless someone offers or gives permission.

• Comments

ps. given time I will convert one of the classic West Indies maps to the base map.

Quartermaster

I am getting a user/pass prompt.

Can we see the app?  Id settle for a map like the one "WIND" posted above with a 360o compass over way or route plotter

Thanks 

• Comments

Quartermaster

Philipsburg - Neutral

Port/town

X: 678855.9 Z: 22946.9

Marigot - Neutral

Port/town

X: 675509.2 Z: 27708.6

Fort Baai - Verenigde Provinciën

Port/town

X: 668229.6 Z: 4775.0

Oranjestad - Verenigde Provinciën

Port/town (crossed swords just off shore, PVP area?)

X: 680319.4 Z: -1695.5

Basseterre - Great Britain

City

X: 693279.0 Z: -11130.7

Charlestown - Great Britain

City

X: 696826.9 Z: -17675.4

Edited by jodgi

I'm using this map -  1864_Johnson_Map_of_the_West_Indies_and_Caribbean_-_Geographicus_-_WestIndies-johnson-1864  - it shows nations by colour. You can download a hi-res version, I converted mine to .pdf and annotate it with port info (Nation & items available) battles, times & distances traveled. A bit nerdy but very helpful with navigation!

• Comments

Quartermaster

Just so you know, this map is not accurate to the game environment in the Bahamas. The game is obviously built from an older map. The map Wind posted is quite accurate for that region but I find it inaccurate around Spanish town in the Antilles. Note the difference in between the island chains SW of Nassau and your modern view of that area. Evidently in those days the large island was just a chain of islands making out the border of the now larger island.

I havn't been doing the coordinates till very recently so although I have located 115 cities already I only have a few with coordinates. Here they are.

Govenor's Harbour - GB - 75549.0/355870.7

Dunmore Town - GB - 59087.3/372522.1

Nassau - GB - 31253.3/353642.5

Wilmington - -11803.2/781321.5

Charleston -  -71633.0/724121.3

Savannah -  -116004.2/691039.7

Brunswick -   -138315.7/646780.5

Great work with the arcmap as a fellow GIS developer salute you

here a few more to add to the map.

Vieques

pirates

Coral Bay