Game-Labs Forum

How do i get rid of a stern camper?

Yes after they sink you, they usually leave.... Glut glug glug :)

In all seriousness, while not I'm not in the game as yet, try YouTube for advice. ramjb has an excellent video called "Naval action - shaking a guy off you six". He bluffs with sails and reduces speed to force them close and over shoot the turn.

Call a teammate for help. If you're by yourself, you might try taking the best angle on the wind that gives you your best turn rate to flip on an opponent and begin with some random rudder and sail movement to mask which way you are really turning. My more successful efforts began from a broad reach. Sometimes with a skilled opponent in a lighter craft it's useless. I had Prater on my ass one time. I thought he was nailed there. It's one of those minor reasons I'll never sail a SOL.

Stop and go doesn't work if your enemy knows what they are doing.  In fact, if they do, it only hurts you.  Zig zagging doesn't work either unless they don't know what they are doing and you can get shots off on them.

When the stern-camper knows what he is doing: You have no Chance to shake him off without help of a teammate (who "pushes" him out of his route).

If you are alone, you have usually no advantageous option to exchange broadsides 2:1... so what is the second best alternative? Or the least worst?

I made good experiences with winning a bit distance (if possible) and than turning 180° into the wind (the stern camper should usually be windward of you)... and then you need to react to the camper:

Option A: If he passes you, you should get a broadside off (and that's not even guaranteed, when you don't have enough distance)... but you could end up as a sitting duck, when you mismanage your sailing.

This is the worst option, because it doesn't guarantee that you shaking him off your six, but you might at least be able to get a broadside off, which can be deceisive, when you have a much bigger broadsideweight.

Option B: He turns with you, before you finished your turn, in this case say thank you, because he made a mistake and is now on a parallel course with you.

Option C: He stopps. Well this is the 0:0 Option... just don't mismanage your sails and you should be relatively fine.

This method bears the huge risk to end up as a sitting duck, but this risk can be reduced with good sail-management and is IMO worth the try.

• Like 1

Another simple thing to try is a couple of jukes.  The camper will usually respond appropriately but eventually they'll commit to their turn and then you reverse your turn and adjust speed to come to parallel. 

Firstly load your stern Chasers with double shot or chain.That way at least you can do some damage to him.A lot depends on what ship you have as well,of course you could ask your team mates for help(doesnt always work!).I had this happen to me last night,i just couldnt shake him.I was in a Suprise and it just couldnt turn fast enough,but i did get on his tail eventually.He wasnt too happy about my 24pdr double shotted Carronades hammering his bows!

How to get rid of stern hunters advanced edition:

A good stern hunter is hard to outmaneuver since he watches your turns, how much sail you have up and adjusts his tactic accordingly. You can trick him by turning all your sails parallel to the wind and slow down that way. He wont know you slowed down until it is too late if your timing is right. This is a tricky move but sometimes you just have no other option.

And you better not use this on me ;)

if you are in a bigger slower ship and the stern camper is in a more agile agile ship you are pretty much defenseless because he can take down your crew with grape/ball/double at will if he is skilled - this will slow down your crews action. If not you can try to make him overshoot.

In case he is in a similar ship as yours you have to try to get the wind - upper hand - back by tacking.  Now you are at his stern. This would lead to a trade off of shooting solutions and the one who has the better turn abilities and anticipation wins the game.

Basic requirement is the proper use of manual sailing -> see MrDoran treatise in forum for tactics and exercise skills in Duel 1vs1. Nothing else helps...

Edited by Kpt Ahab

If you are in a SOL and you have trouble attending stern camping i would suggest going back to frigates and being the stern camper. Knowledge is power bro. See what others do to oppose your efforts. Absorb that info and use it for your own SOL maneuvers.

You will get better.

this comes with Dazed's patented guarantee.

• Like 3

The suggestion is to duel a lot with skilled players (while its free). You will learn a lot. 

One tactic is to load chain get his sails down a bit and disengage increasing distance from enemy and then pound ball from distance. After he gets close, repeat. 

Usually the stern camper will only try to show his bow thus you can take down his sails faster, if you are at distance you will get more broadsides in.

• Like 6

Generally, the better you are at being a stern camper, the better you will be at defeating one.

It also depends a lot on what you are both in - if you are in a Santi and the wanna be camper is in a snow - just drive away, he will be left in your wake ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It does feel like they have amped up the effectiveness vs larger ships recently.

Just watched a Trinc hump a Vics stern until he ran out of crew. Made for some boring gameplay.

The Vic was trying lots of tricks too.

In all seriousness, while not I'm not in the game as yet, try YouTube for advice. ramjb has an excellent video called "Naval action - shaking a guy off you six". He bluffs with sails and reduces speed to force them close and over shoot the turn.

Basically this, let them get over confident an overshoot their turn.

• Like 2

That only works against someone who doesn't pay attention and doesn't know how to use "advanced" manual sails

• Like 1

It would be nice to have another form of attack against campers that get close.  I can do a good job against most campers getting some shots in, but good campers will turn back into your stern, sometimes almost colliding to avoid a broadside.  Problem with that is they have no fear doing it as my sailors can't even throw a coconut at them.  Some musket ball from rifle or pistol would cause crew loss and give the camper some concern.  Distance is the best tactic giving you time to turn your broadside and deal with the threat.

How many captains in real life would just keep trying to maneuver inevitably getting sunk versus just drop sail, let them get close and shoot their crew?  Such a gamey, arcade feel runs through my spine when I see a small ship within 20 yards of my ship and having no fear and pwning the larger vessel.

Has anyone tried grape in their stern guns?  Grape shooting down on the deck of a smaller ship should cause massive casualties.

Privateers and brigs camping and sinking much larger frigs is common in this game.  Lacking knowledge in the history of battles of this era, a question I have is how often in real life did this occur?

How about another option added to Sail, Gunnery, and Survival mode - possibly Pistol Shot which allows pistol fire within 20 - 30 yards?

Edited by Foghorne

If you turn perpendicular to the wind and run, you can make it difficult for the camper to get back into position after they've turned downwind.

edit: and by run, i mean whatever speed and course correcting necessary to put the camper into your field of fire on their upwind leg, which could sometimes be zero speed. 

Edited by kang

Just a heads up I do not own the game and I have only watched about 10 hours or so of in game footage and have to say I'm impressed so far so my comments are based on what I've watched only.

Having read the frustration and concerns of the guy on the previous page feeling aggrieved about being stern camped...

Flipping the coin over here and thinking about it from the other persons prospective, I'd be inclined to try and do the same if I felt that the ship I was hounding would blow me out of the water. It comes down to the individual player managing his area of awareness, meaning if like many players I have watched who do the same in other game videos they get tunnel vision and will not keep an eye on their surrounding, (greed factor) then in my opinion getting stern camped is your own fault for not responding to this issue well in advance. Where I come from prevention is better that cure!

I have no sympathy for players who can not plan, it tells me they lack certain skills and need to address their actions not the other way round. So always use your mini map and make sure you keep an eye on smaller vessels biting as they hurt real bad over time and once they are close there is virtually no chance of moving them from that position, unless you get an opportunity to board them but that's probably never going to happen. Kudos for the player being able to get that close and get in that position, because if you think about it had the other player addressed him earlier he would of got double barrel in the mush for sure and chances are even with repair kits he would be done.

So to summarize manage treats to have more fun and learn the strengths and weaknesses of your current vessel and if you cannot manage that then expect poor results.

Bigger does not always mean better either.

Remember you are not using modern ship or tanks here these are wooden blocks designed for life on water but water is not anyone friend so each ship design has it's pluses and minuses too. Learn them and win more.

One thing this post has enlightened me to is the fact that how important it is to start shooting players sails down before they even get close to you, yeah it's a real blast shooting at the hull and watching bits of 4 by 2 flying everywhere but getting shots on that bow sail and shooting at a certain sail will have far better results with regards to handling imo. The only down side I see with this game at the moment is the unrealistic repair kits...I get why they in, but they should not be able to repair sails as fast as they do and you should have to disengage to use them too I feel that would be a better mechanic, because we don't have the manpower to do this is battle it's a past time after fights so you should pull away to use them in game. I would prefer to see just one repair kit this way it will make people rethink and not gung ho all the time. I've heard many people in their youtube videos saying oh it's okay I still have three repair kits so lets try this...There is no fear factor on your bad decisions.

Hope I've not offended anyone with my sharp but honest comments as that was not my intention at all, even though my forum name may suggest that.

• Like 1