Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.1+ Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.2.9R)

Nick Thomadis

Oh, and how a 4cm thick of armor managed to block a 30.2cm shell perpendicular? It does not overpen, it just straight up blocked? My BB struggled against a CL, but my CA just destroyed that with a much smaller gun.

PS: How to refit a ship? Last time I remember is just make the refit model and select refit ships, but now it said no ships available on refit albeit all of my ships is at port and none can be refitted. 

Edited by Vinrellren
Adding PS

It would be really nice if we could make designs that are "For Export" and "Not for Export" I have some well balanced battleships that I put together to have a cheaper option, but also a larger design that is more balls to the wall, and the AI seems to never choose the smaller design. In real life countries had designs that were for domestic use only, and designs that could be exported. It would also help at managing shipbuilding capacity.

19 hours ago, Warspite96 said:

Ships running away without ever making contact with my ships is now happening almost every time I try to fight an engagement directly instead of auto resolving.

Glad you brought up auto resolving. This highlights why encounter logic needs changes. 

I suggested in an earlier post we need to have whatever checks are done by the enemy AI once a battle starts that causes them to run done before an encounter is presented to the player. 

The fact auto resolve results in an actual engagement vs player battle (where the AI can run forever) shows the conflicting logic. There should be no logic checks in the actual battle. It should all take place before an encounter option displays. If the AI cannot "withdraw", then their logic should always be to fight. If they can withdraw, no encounter displays to the player. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello again Admirals,

New and important fixes are available!

Hotfix Update v1.1.5 1/2/2023
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/3656395357997444457 

Big guns still need a giant buff. they currently have shit base accuracy compared to 12 inchers, very low muzzle velocity compared to smaller guns of similar calibers, and painfully slow reload times that are still more than 2 minutes even with autoloaders. In the range department, these guns can't shoot out to their designed range due to artificially nerfed accuracy. As of now, the only things going for them are pen and damage, which simply aren't enough to warrant their use except on niche ships.

55 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello again Admirals,

Noticed you fixed a bug that caused crashes due to ships not having a port to dock in. Loaded up my old Germany campaign were this happened to test it.
4qQN1io.png
And it works! Austria has no ports, and thus no navy, (albeit they're still building ships for this now defunct branch of their military) so no crashing. Hopefully. Good job with this one, please give the rest of the team my regards. Y'all just saved me 17 years of progress with this fix.
tempsnip2.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello again Admirals,

Penetration is still busted in some situations. If your penetration is too high relative to an enemy's citadel armor, it will be entirely blocked instead of giving an overpen.

• Like 1

Hi @Nick Thomadis,

First post though I've been a huge fan of Ultimate General Civil War and your work modding Total War for many years!  I must say the difference between 1.1 and the previous version has been incredible and speaks to how much work your team has put in these last few weeks. 

If you don't mind me offering a suggestion, I think the AI would be more competitive in the campaign if it scrapped more older ships. It doesn't have to use some complicated function, I think it would be sufficient to calculate the total tonnage that's more than 10 years old and scrap 5% of that a turn if the AI isn't at war with anyone. During war, instead of scrapping active ships, it could scrap damaged ships designed more than 10 years ago if the repair's would take longer than 3 months and scrap 10 year old designs under construction if they would take longer than 3 months to finish.  

Maybe it's just me but since we moved to having limited construction capacity, I've noticed the AI will have 100+ ships under construction but only finish a few a turn. By the time they're finished, they're hopelessly outclassed by the players ships and by it's latest designs because of the delayed construction penalties.  It just makes for easy victory points and nullifies the AIs economy bonuses on legendary. 

That's all I got. I'm sure your team can find a more elegant solution. I just thought this would be a simple workaround to implement a patch or two down the road. 

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Somehow my 12 inch guns still decided not to pen even at 75% chance of pen at angle as it hit's an amazing 7.5 inch of aft belt armor and it got blocked? Giving credits when it's due though. Great hotfixes! 3 of my other campaign are now working again, and a noticeable amount of improvements in turn time albeit still taking a long time.

Just now, Vinrellren said:

Somehow my 12 inch guns still decided not to pen even at 75% chance of pen at angle as it hit's an amazing 7.5 inch of aft belt armor and it got blocked? Giving credits when it's due though. Great hotfixes! 3 of my other campaign are now working again, and a noticeable amount of improvements in turn time albeit still taking a long time.

I think the 75% chance takes into account the chances of hitting different sections of the ship. Depending on the angle, the chance of penning the aft belt could be much lower. It's also possible that you are experiencing a variant of the penetration bug where excessive penetration results in a block and not an overpen. I think that bug has been fixed except for fore/aft sections; it seems to only impact the citadel.

2 hours ago, anonusername said:

I think the 75% chance takes into account the chances of hitting different sections of the ship. Depending on the angle, the chance of penning the aft belt could be much lower. It's also possible that you are experiencing a variant of the penetration bug where excessive penetration results in a block and not an overpen. I think that bug has been fixed except for fore/aft sections; it seems to only impact the citadel.

Possibly, yesterday my BB is having a hard time penning a CL because it got blocked if it hits, similar against an enemy BB albeit I have a far better penning gun. AI unable to pen me decided to use HE and damn the damage of HE is sometimes more insane than AP even against heavy enemy armor.

Oh and WTH. AI use HE more than AP, and somehow their HE destroyed the main gun? My armor is thick enought to even blocked their AP but their HE can partial pen the belt and guns? Accuracy also isn't the best. 45% means at least I expect half of my shots to hit but nope. 6 shells all went flying around the target, so what 45% means? I have no clue

Edited by Vinrellren

Alright, so I noticed that the "Navy Drills" tech now limits the size of my task forces based on crew complement. I'm not sure when this took effect. I don't like this because:

• It _should_ be harder to coordinate a large number of ships with small crews (DDs) vs. a small number of ships with large crews (BBs).
  • Historically, large battles with a lot of ships and crew (like Jutland, or, heck, even the Spanish Armada) aren't tech-appropriate ingame.

Is the crew cap something that might be adjusted, or replaced with a ship/tonnage cap? Or will we have the option to link multiple task forces so they enter combat together? I feel like this is an attempt to eliminate AI doomstacks, but maybe it could be better implemented?

Thank you for your time. I am drunk. Have a wonderful evening.

I personally like the crew limitation. Maybe per ship would be better.

Anyways, another example of how the damage spread model is bad. I am at a range where my 16" can't penetrate this CA's deck. But whoops! Somehow I got a penetration on the tower! Guess that 0.5" of superstructure armor was too much.

The entire ship went from like 92% structure to zero, instantly.

The damage spread is model is bad for everybody. Damage shouldn't spread from outside the citadel to inside the citadel (without certain calculations).

j77GNn6.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neph said:

There is something strange going on with hit radio. A battleship against cruisers at very close range seems to get the VAST majority of their hits (>90%) on the deck. That's not right.

It is an issue since quite a while (I think 0.9), claimed to be fixed over and over again but I also experience it all this time

This update .15 destroyed the game once again. All the bugs from .11 returned.   15 inch shells have zero chance penetrating  torpedo boats belts!  I had 4 Battleships  fighting 5 TP and 3 DD for   HOURS,   EVERY SINGLE shot that landed in the belt  was blocked. I  ended the battle with ZERO  ammo on the main guns and had to kill the ships with the 2 inch  secondnary guns

Also  once again  Over pen and partial pens are INVERTED. I get partial pens with 15 inch guns against these DD and over pens with 2 inch guns

Seriously I try to be supportive, but you guys need a minimum of quality control and have automated tests.  Returning a bug from a previous version is not acceptable!

AI is once again  as mad for war as Conan the barbarian.

Edited by TiagoStein
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, TiagoStein said:

15 inch shells have zero chance penetrating  torpedo boats belts!

Also  once again  Over pen and partial pens are INVERTED. I get partial pens with 15 inch guns against these DD and over pens with 2 inch guns

I just did my first video on 1.1.5 and I also saw the very weird penetration issues returning. 14” shells getting blocked by 1.5” of extended deck at long range, large calibre base fused HE getting blocked by transports with 0” of armour etc when you would expect an overpen if anything.

I also saw the return of the dreaded ‘target lock’ bug, where aiming progress gets stuck at a negative percentage and a ship will just merrily fire it’s entire magazine into the ocean.

Hopefully those gremlins can be squashed again soon!

• Like 2

Yeah, that's all I experienced within three days of playing this game in this version; although 1.15 claims to fix the penetration bug, it never got away. Yes, it is better against heavily armored ships, but against lightly armored, it's junk. A 12'' gun partial penning or outright blocked by a thin armor is not okay. 

In addition, AI keeps running away, although they are the ones who engage us in the damn world map. If they keep running away, maybe they shouldn't engage in the first place. Waste of time just looking at the enemy to be presented with the end battle button with not a single enemy in sight. 

AI is still involved in eternal war when the world divides into two big alliances and at war for at least 15 years in my 25-year campaign; no wonder the brits have 702 ships and building 52 more if they keep getting wartime budgets (the US has 870 boats and making another 50 too).

The budget is still something that is stupidly broken, I have a magnificent 70 billion in reserve (My GDP is at 85 billion) and an outstanding 150 million surplus per turn due to all the wartime budget, and that's with 20 advance BBs, 40 CLs, and 60 DDs and 50 SS. No wonder AI can wield such a massive force in this economy.

The maximum crew in coordination is useless; I have a battle against 25 DDs and 10 CAs, and 15 CLs because they are all below the crew limit coordination. Why not make it in the ship's unit rather than the crew? DDs only have like below 50 crew, so with a 12k limit, they can bring 200 ships just fine.

Things that I like: Turn time feels much faster than before, mines are beneficial and will be able to sink 50% of enemy ships if they do not have adequate minesweeping equipment, and enemies are much more intelligent than the last time I played the game albeit it might vary depending on the playthrough.

• Like 2

I've just started playing again after a long hiatus, did anyone ask why you are not allowed to just build your Refit ship model? I started out with Kawachi. Then I invented Guncotton, so I refitted Kawachi into Kawachi-2. Then I realized I can't actually new-build Kawachi-2, so I copied it to create an identical Kawachi-B, except I can build it from scratch.

That plugs the problem until another small bit of new tech I'd like to incorporate is developed. But the game probably won't realize it's the same, so I'd have to make a Kawachi-3 and a Kawachi-B-2 which are the same except i'd have do the same work twice.

• Like 1