Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.1+ Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.2.9R)

Nick Thomadis

I don't know what you did but the battles are better. The ai formations are great. I ran into a organized battle line. Split it up and killed it piecemeal. I only lost a DD but the battle was so much better. I also pasuse to pass orders. I formed two lines and had DDs wreck havoc on line. First time had a great battle. Playing Germans 1900, fighting French, go figure! For once the ai is using subs against me. Actually trying to disrupt invasion. I sunk 2 with loss of CL and DD. First time I saw a sub sink. Thanks Nick great game. Only have trouble mounting small guns when it seems they should as per their real counterparts. But I read this will be fixed. Also can you consider a dlc to go to war with minors, or even play them. Just a thought.

42 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

I have. Also the Soviet Union now shows the same behavior..

@Nick Thomadis I suspect this is due to the fact that both nations are at war with the rest of the world and therefor with my allies, which forces them to declare war on me right away again. 

At least I think I am in an alliance with them. The politics screen shows them at 100, but I don't get the option to cancel the alliance as it is greyed out.

Edited by ZorinW
  • Like 1

With the world campaign framework now in place I hope some time can be spent developing interphase improvements.

I feel there is a lack of good access to certain things and suggest the following.

1) The data display in the lower left with other country turn info needs expanding. We could use tabs to get to the information easier other than just scrolling up & down. Also I think three months of data or more should be available to go through here.

2) More information on provinces would be nice so as we can see the importance of each. A notice of port size increase would also be nice.

3) When refitting a ship I enjoy seeing all the data on the panel you can scroll over on the right side but, can we access the starting data in total so as to compare all the effects our wanted refit will cause. As well if all the stats were accessible from the ship data boxes in the top left would be helpful during building a new ship to be bigger better faster than the most recent type built prior.

4) An accessible listing of all ground offenses with appropriate data would be nice.

5) More details on battles done by other nations should be available especially if an allied ship was involved.

6) I feel there is too much knowledge of where enemy task forces are and where they are going. Maybe an option for more fog of war could be implemented.

Some may think a few of my suggestions are more micro management than they want but many of us have this game because of the many great micro management features already implemented.

I appreciate all the hard work done so far and feel I have already gotten my moneys worth from this game. Still I hope the development continues and truly makes this the ultimate standard for this style of game. Keep up the good work.

Our best wishes are with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SodaBit said:

So it seems that the Austro-Hungarians continue to be something of an issue. New campaign as Germany, and I decided to go to war with them. Austria revolts and declares independence from the Empire, so there goes the direct route for conquering them. Take Croatia instead, and now the Austrians have nowhere to base their fleet again, as they lost Montenegro before the war even started. However, there's a problem in Pula.
Those Aren't My Ships Docked There.
uNY53an.png
They're what remains of the Austro-Hungarian Navy.
XUVFJVa.png
Getting repairs in what is now a hostile port.
pHGswNR.pngIn fact, I can even dock alongside them.

If the port's mine, then everything in it should also be mine.
If there's enemy ships in a port, they should either be scuttled, or if that fails, captured by the invading troops.

BONUS: So I played 1 battle against the only other ship in the Austro-Hungarian Navy, a CA that was docked further South in another Croatian port, destroyed it, and then the game crashed on "Loading World."
Relaunched, attempted to load the save, crashed on "Loading World" again. Same thing when I tried to load again.
I'd also like to note that they were still building ships for their own navy. Where these ships would have spawned is somewhat of a mystery. This happened in my last campaign as well. Despite being at war with multiple powers during the 1940's, nobody could actually find and engage the Neither Austrian Nor Hungarian Navy. I had been at war for them for almost a decade when 1950 rolled around, and they never showed up on the horizon.

I ran into the same bug, except my save would get into an infinite loop on load as a result. When a port is taken, the ships are supposed to flee for other allied ports. The issue is that AH doesn't have any ports left, so they just get stuck.

10 hours ago, neph said:

Ships should NEVER leave their formation to go the back of one that's following them.

I just lost yet another battleship because it got a little too much damage & decided to pull out of line to enter the following division of CLs that I was trying to bring into the fight from across the map without micromanagement. Even though I caught it immediately, it was already too late: out of formation, angled wrong, & giving up the chase vs the enemy battlecruiser that I'd just spend 45 IRL minutes chasing, it shows its bow to the foe in close quarters & gets destroyed.

When ships decide to change formation *without player input* they cross their own T with the enemy & get wrecked through the fore belt.

This "feature" has got to go. (or at least have a "hold formation" toggle)

It might help mitigate the problem if the transverse armored bulkhead was properly modeled.

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

There is no extra conscription but a different distribution. Army from other provinces is sent.

I think this an area where a better UI would help. Maybe each province could indicate which percentage of the national army is deployed? Perhaps a means of notifying the player when nations undertake major troop movements? Not a high priority issue, but would help to make these things more obvious to players.

• Like 1

Non-bug related feedback here.
Please, for the love of God, let us choose the models we use for turrets. "Upgrading" guns shouldn't result in a worse design.
E.G. DRS Emden as designed, with Mk.3 88mm guns:
sjTYeYr.png
Enough 88mm guns to make the Berlin Zoo jealous. Now, the "Upgraded" version, with Mk.4 88mm guns:
mNtrQjb.png
This isn't an upgrade at all. The old mount was fine, there's no reason to mess it up. What this means is that the Ship Can No Longer Receive Refits Without Greatly Compromising The Design. This is the exact opposite of what a refit is supposed to do. Refits can change secondary batteries,, fix design flaws, or remove obsolete systems in favor of modern ones, but the overall objective of the process is to improve an existing design by utilizing new technologies, and incorporating lessons learned in ship design since the original conception of the unit. The reason I have so many 88mm guns on this thing to begin with is Because It Works. It Works Very, VERY Well. The old Emden design was a perfect solution for screening capital ships against torpedo boats, destroyers, and light cruisers. She could also provide effective fire support against larger target with an unending hail of small caliber shells, starting numerous fires, disabling secondaries and torpedos, and generally making life difficult for damage control teams. Now, that potential is pretty much gone. The most 88's I'll be able to fit on this ship is about 4 turrets per side, down from the crushing 14 per side. Even if I used twins, I still won't be able to make up the lost firepower.

The issue of turret models is also present in most designs of HMS Hood that receive modernization after the Mk.3 15" gun is researched, but that's a story for another post. I think I've made the point pretty clear with this one.

Edited by SodaBit
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

Non-bug related feedback here.
Please, for the love of God, let us choose the models we use for turrets. "Upgrading" guns shouldn't result in a worse design.
E.G. DRS Emden as designed, with Mk.3 88mm guns:
sjTYeYr.png
Enough 88mm guns to make the Berlin Zoo jealous. Now, the "Upgraded" version, with Mk.4 88mm guns:
mNtrQjb.png
This isn't an upgrade at all. The old mount was fine, there's no reason to mess it up. What this means is that the Ship Can No Longer Receive Refits Without Greatly Compromising The Design. This is the exact opposite of what a refit is supposed to do. Refits can change secondary batteries,, fix design flaws, or remove obsolete systems in favor of modern ones, but the overall objective of the process is to improve an existing design by utilizing new technologies, and incorporating lessons learned in ship design since the original conception of the unit. The reason I have so many 88mm guns on this thing to begin with is Because It Works. It Works Very, VERY Well. The old Emden design was a perfect solution for screening capital ships against torpedo boats, destroyers, and light cruisers. She could also provide effective fire support against larger target with an unending hail of small caliber shells, starting numerous fires, disabling secondaries and torpedos, and generally making life difficult for damage control teams. Now, that potential is pretty much gone. The most 88's I'll be able to fit on this ship is about 4 turrets per side, down from the crushing 14 per side. Even if I used twins, I still won't be able to make up the lost firepower.

The issue of turret models is also present in most designs of HMS Hood that receive modernization after the Mk.3 15" gun is researched, but that's a story for another post. I think I've made the point pretty clear with this one.

It will require a change of the hard coding of the game, because as far as i can tell, each nation/shiptype/gunsize/singledualtriplequad configuration is allocated to a single model. 

It does make sense that a more advanced version of a weapon, even with the size held constant, will be larger. 

However I'll also mention that the model selection and scaling of some of these weapons (looking at them for myself within unity) is a bit wonky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admiralsnackbar said:

It will require a change of the hard coding of the game, because as far as i can tell, each nation/shiptype/gunsize/singledualtriplequad configuration is allocated to a single model. 

It does make sense that a more advanced version of a weapon, even with the size held constant, will be larger. 

However I'll also mention that the model selection and scaling of some of these weapons (looking at them for myself within unity) is a bit wonky. 

"A bit"? 😅

• Like 2

So about the AI trying to run When It Is Statistically Unable To Do So
I thought an hour and a half long stern chase over the span of 150 kilometers was as bad as this issue was going to get.
I Was Wrong.
Over 2 Hours And Almost 260 Kilometers To Find The Enemy.
pjui9k3.png

Is this ever going to be fixed? Because if not, I'll just stop posting about it here, and stop wasting my time trying to run these bastards down. 

• Like 3

Still having problems with penetration "overflows" with high caliber AP shells vs. light targets. Just fought a campaign battle against Spain, who spams a ridiculous amount of CLs. Some of my BBs ran out of HE shells, and the CL main belt promptly started blocking the 12" AP shells. It makes the already tedious task of killing 2 dozen CLs even worse.

The game still needs a lot of work to feel fully finished. 

Especially the campaign AI and balance is not that great. As Germany I am dominating the waves, however I have like 23 billion in the bank with accumulating about 400 million monthly. Yet have the largest fleet in the world (tonnage and numbers). There needs to be a greater money sink, albeit rather not just through random events as they can cause too much shocks in the budget, especially for the AI. 

I feel that the greatest restriction is currently the total shipyard and port capacity. I think this is excellent. However, the money flow balance seems to still date from a time when you could build an unlimited number of ships simultaneously. 

The AI seems to also still want to build in numbers that predate the shipyard tonnage restriction limitations. I have seen AI Britain, USA and France all wanting to build 200+ ships. Though I cannot see what kind of ships these are, I have the feeling that they are severely overloading their building capacity, which could even cause more delays for them than desirable to fix their fleet power. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Having run into this recently (1903ish vintage light cruisers no longer being able to mount 4 inch batteries once MK4 versions are unlocked)....

I'm actually fine with it. Sometimes you need the push to design a replacement vessel. By the time gun tech advances to the point where the new version cannot fit where the old one was, you are likely looking at a long list of other upgrades (up to and including completely replacing the powerplant, changing the armour plate and other such things). As it stands, such work seems to be magically possible in a month or two, when in reality such jobs would be a major project requiring the ship to be out of action for the best part of a year, or wouldn't be done because the money could just be spent on an entirely new vessel. If they have to delve into the refit system to 'fix' the imposition of new gun marks (for the sake of realism), would you be happy for them to apply the same realism to the rest of it?

The AI seems to also still want to build in numbers that predate the shipyard tonnage restriction limitations. I have seen AI Britain, USA and France all wanting to build 200+ ships. Though I cannot see what kind of ships these are, I have the feeling that they are severely overloading their building capacity, which could even cause more delays for them than desirable to fix their fleet power. 

I can also confirm this; in my rambling UK game (now in the 1920s), the USA has roughly 400 ships, and is building 173 more. I've no idea what they are churning out over there, but it alarms me.

Edited by AdmiralBert
More rambles
  • Like 2

big task forces (including BBs and screen) doesnt initiate missions even there are similar sized enemy task forces nearby. 

this problem doesnt exist for the ships in port. When you dock all the task forces and now ships are in ports, various type of missons can be generated depending the size of enemy fleet nearby.

btw A small task force (3 CLs 4 TBs) can generate a mission against a big task force (2 BBs 3 CAs 4 CLs 4 TBs)

Also it's really annoying to corner enemy task forces composing of 1 DDs with your task force. manual or auto can result frustrating results

Edited by Terminus Est

47 minutes ago, Terminus Est said:

big task forces (including BBs and screen) doesnt initiate missions even there are similar sized enemy task forces nearby. 

this problem doesnt exist for the ships in port. When you dock all the task forces and now ships are in ports, various type of missons can be generated depending the size of enemy fleet nearby.

btw A small task force (3 CLs 4 TBs) can generate a mission against a big task force (2 BBs 3 CAs 4 CLs 4 TBs)

Also it's really annoying to corner enemy task forces composing of 1 DDs with your task force. manual or auto can result frustrating results

I would always advise against using auto resolve. The outcome never reflects the results one can achieve oneself. 

14 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Sounds good to me. I say do it. It's not like the game's actually done in the first place.

14 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

I disagree. Solving that would be as easy as making upgrading guns a manual button, instead of forcing the upgrade if newer guns are available. Which has also have been requested since refits were introduced.

• Like 1

Has the game store page promotional video changed yet? It's misleading and, from the standpoint of the devs, might not represent the entirety of the game with all the current new features. It's a non-priority, but that might be a good step so that no one who bought the game is disappointed or misinformed about all the features this game has to offer.

(PS: Except if they read the steam review. Well, if they did, then maybe they are still not convinced by the video)

34 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

I disagree. Solving that would be as easy as making upgrading guns a manual button, instead of forcing the upgrade if newer guns are available. Which has also have been requested since refits were introduced.

That solution would def require less work. But what he was suggesting would require a change to how gun models get associated. 

• Like 2

I  faced a bug yesterday   in 3 different battles. When a ship turns due to the avoid torpedo button it  never returns to formation.. it continues  traveling LOCKED in  that running away direction  forever. I need to remove the ship from the formation  toggle AI control on and off and then return to formation to  make it  usable again.

• Like 3

My feedback on 1.14 so far:

- Game performance in general much better: faster loading times, not a single crash or hang;

- Combat: looks good, havent encountered any penetration or accuracy "oddities", lost my first ever balanced fight to the AI :D a squadron of 8 british DDs sunk my pre-dreadnought BB, a cruiser and an allied (swedish) light cruiser in a swarming torpedo attack to the loss of 3 of their number...

- Campaign: having a blast but... land combat seems inconsistent... I'm fighting UK and have good relations with USSR (which are allied to UK) and in all my 3 offensives in Africa against UK Im also fighting russian forces (I'm not at war with them!!!)... National dissolutions seem much better (still a bit too easy I think) and nations rise again as they should

All in all the game is not perfect yet but is in a good place for me... having a blast and already feel like I had my money's worth... Bring more features/hulls to the shipbuilder (paid or not I dont care) its my favorite part of the game :)

Great work!

43 minutes ago, TiagoStein said:

I  faced a bug yesterday   in 3 different battles. When a ship turns due to the avoid torpedo button it  never returns to formation.. it continues  traveling LOCKED in  that running away direction  forever. I need to remove the ship from the formation  toggle AI control on and off and then return to formation to  make it  usable again.

I have found this also... turning AI control off and on seemed to fix it too

37 minutes ago, PedroFalcao said:

My feedback on 1.14 so far:

- Game performance in general much better: faster loading times, not a single crash or hang;

- Combat: looks good, havent encountered any penetration or accuracy "oddities", lost my first ever balanced fight to the AI :D a squadron of 8 british DDs sunk my pre-dreadnought BB, a cruiser and an allied (swedish) light cruiser in a swarming torpedo attack to the loss of 3 of their number...

- Campaign: having a blast but... land combat seems inconsistent... I'm fighting UK and have good relations with USSR (which are allied to UK) and in all my 3 offensives in Africa against UK Im also fighting russian forces (I'm not at war with them!!!)... National dissolutions seem much better (still a bit too easy I think) and nations rise again as they should

All in all the game is not perfect yet but is in a good place for me... having a blast and already feel like I had my money's worth... Bring more features/hulls to the shipbuilder (paid or not I dont care) its my favorite part of the game :)

Great work!

Didn't you face the almighty light cruisers?