Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.1+ Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.2.9R)

Nick Thomadis

11 hours ago, applegrcoug said:Here are just a few juicy ones:

Scotland 

6,484,860 people 

$ 1,408,637,000 Income

$217 per person

Southern England

23,986,520 people

$ 1,737,846,000 Income

$72.45/person

As someone who lives in the former and grew up in the latter I can confirm those are a wee bit off. Scotland’s population is about 1,000,000 too large for 1920. Finding GDP/capita figures by region in 1920 is not simple, but even 100 years later the south east (not including London) has noticeably higher GDP/capita than Scotland. That said going through and balancing all the regions for all the start dates on historical data is a massive job so might take quite some time. Would be ideal for a mod if/when UAD gets mod support (nudge nudge wink wink)…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brothermunro said:

As someone who lives in the former and grew up in the latter I can confirm those are a wee bit off. Scotland’s population is about 1,000,000 too large for 1920. Finding GDP/capita figures by region in 1920 is not simple, but even 100 years later the south east (not including London) has noticeably higher GDP/capita than Scotland. That said going through and balancing all the regions for all the start dates on historical data is a massive job so might take quite some time. Would be ideal for a mod if/when UAD gets mod support (nudge nudge wink wink)…

Yes, getting everything balanced perfectly would be a pita.  But looking for outliers should be easy.  I dont think the Aleutians are at that level of income today.  

If the developers are unable or unwilling then mods would be great to address the issues.  

6 minutes ago, applegrcoug said:

Yes, getting everything balanced perfectly would be a pita.  But looking for outliers should be easy.  I dont think the Aleutians are at that level of income today.  

If the developers are unable or unwilling then mods would be great to address the issues.  

If oil is discovered in a province, its income is increased significantly. There is no point comparing  the province income per its population in order to prove something wrong. Alaska is a nowadays example of a territory with a very small population but very high output of valuable resources.

This is also why it is not needed to compare the oil per capita calculated in the game for the whole population, and then try to make it match with the oil per capita per single province's population., which is only meant to give some statistical data for the current province.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

If oil is discovered in a province, its income is increased significantly. There is no point comparing  the province income per its population in order to prove something wrong. Alaska is a nowadays example of a territory with a very small population but very high output of valuable resources.

This is also why it is not needed to compare the oil per capita calculated in the game for the whole population, and then try to make it match with the oil per capita per single province's population., which is only meant to give some statistical data for the current province.

So this makes no sense whatsoever.

In my campaign example neither Heligoland or the Aleutian Islands have oil discovered but yet they are the richest provinces.  

As for the calculation, this is how I read and interpret it:

'There is no point in calculating, because it is wrong, we know it is wrong.  But we aren't going to fix it because it is only meant to give some data that doesn't mean anything because no one knows the importance of it anyway.'

If it isn't going to be calculated and displayed properly, then do not calculate it!  

• Like 4

So remember that Flying Dutchman bug that really messed with trying to build/refit ships?
XNAWCqj.png
It's back, but only in a limited capacity. The "ghost hull" isn't just obscuring view of the actual ship, but is actively causing collision issues, making working around it impossible. Luckily, this only seems to happen with the USN's unique Dreadnought model. However, it can only be bypassed by closing the game entirely and going back to the ship designer, without selecting a design using said hull.

Edited by SodaBit
  • Like 1

Are TF orders functional at all? Anyone ever got convoy attack mission while TF with invade orders is close to enemy bases? Anyone got convoy defend mission when TF got protect order? If this is not functional, we can not replicate raider missions at all.

Edited by Zuikaku
  • Sad 2

Dropping here to say please add success% or some other improvement to the invasion UI.

I have many times had 2x the required tonnage, seen the number green and healthy every single solitary turn just to fail anyways. I get it, there is *a chance* to succeed and the tonnage shown is just the minimum required for the invasion to achieve progress. Still, the fact the chance is obscure and not shown makes it very frustrating as a game mechanic.

It feels like you need at least 3 times the shown tonnage to succeed with any reasonable consistency, which is NOT clarified anywhere in the UI.

On another note, the whole thing feels odd and doesn't make much sense from a simulation perspective you either make progress or are pushed back.. and in the current system it feels like your army is magically winning every turn and then randomly everyone gives up and goes back home at the very last moment.

I would suggest a "tug of war"/ "race to max" system would be much more intuitive and fun. Say when the mission starts both countries start with a % bar at 0%, and then every turn each country's % number (or turn counter, if you prefer to keep the current turn system) increases depending on internal game factors (much the same as land invasions already do), then it's as simple as having the first nation to reach 100% win (or to reach n/n on their turn counter). All you'd have to add is the second counter for the defending nation, and the whole thing would be both much clearer and much less frustrating for the player.

Please understand under no circumstances I'm saying remove invasions, they are awesome and I love the mechanic, I just think with a little UI/mechanics tweaking it could improve massively the feel of not just invasions themselves but of the whole campaign mode.

Love the game, cheers!

10/3/2023 Uploaded repaired version
- Fixed end game stats not showing up.
- Fixed Conquering VP granted to the opposite side.
- Fixed Naval Invasion not expiring when the province has been conquered by the same nation.
- Auto-Design optimizations.
- Other minor.

Please Restart Steam to get this update.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

10/3/2023 Uploaded repaired version
- Fixed end game stats not showing up.
- Fixed Conquering VP granted to the opposite side.
- Fixed Naval Invasion not expiring when the province has been conquered by the same nation.
- Auto-Design optimizations.
- Other minor.

Please Restart Steam to get this update.

Well this is strange, steam isn't letting me download this patch, It says 'missing file privileges'. Tried turning beta access on and off, restarting steam, none of it worked. I also cant launch the game, the launch button is replaced by update, which fails when pressed.

Capture1.JPG

Got some quick campaign feedback here, though it's not what anyone would call new.
Just fought a battle near the Straights of Gibraltar. Went well enough, but both BC's and one of my CL's needed repair afterwards, and will reinforce once that's done, returning to the site of the battle as soon as they are able. By next month, one of my BC's is doing just that.
DpRkOct.png
But there's a pretty massive problem. This battlecruiser was only lightly damaged, so was able to make repairs in pretty much any port she stopped in.
DHdSm3Z.png
Naturally, having just fought a battle off the coast of Spain, rather than stop in a near by allied port, or return to Germany, She Sailed All The Way To Truk.

I'm not really going to bother explaining why this is a problem. The situation speaks for itself.

Also, despite the Straights being closed to me until I can successfully capture the Rock, the other BC in need of repairs went to do so in Odessa, apparently being capable of running the Straights, and evading all French and British units as she sailed the Entire Mediterranean Sea By Herself, then making it safely to the Black Sea, all with her bows flooded from a torpedo hit.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Scenario:

Germany (me) is allied to USA, Britain, Japan, AH

Italy is allied to USA, Spain, Soviet

My relation to Italy is -95, I do some political fidgery and next turn I can provoke a war.

After all the popups regards to who wars/allies who, I end up being allied to Italy

😬

Maybe a message with options could appear, where we could force the war with <nation> and break off and cancel all alliances that would/could interfere ?

(running clean and unmodded gamefiles)

Edited by MDHansen

I actually just ragequitted out of a campaign due to what can in no way be intentional, on top of the economy- balancing- changes making stuff a bit weird the whole time. Wall of text coming in, TL;DR at the end. 

Started as Japan in 1890. 

At 1893 or 1894, relations with China rapidly declined and war startet after a few turns.
At about the same time, Britain spontaneously dissolved due to economic collapse without any interaction from my side. 

Soon, Russia joined the war, then the US, then France, probably due to the urgent alliance- system in my experience sometimes triggering chain events. 

This war then dragged on into the 1900s, tho I managed to invade parts of Russia, China, Alaska and to completely banish France from the pacific and subsequently get the parties out of the war one by one. 
All of this would have been an actually fun experience, if I had ANY money at all, but with the most provinces after all this I still had the poorest nation with the smallest economic growth, and was constantly in the red in both war and peace.

I barely can afford sending a fleet from Sasebo into the vicinity of Port Arthur, meanwhile France has no problem building obscene amounts of ships and, with no ports in the entire pacific, sailing all of it across the globe to bully me for a second time (I managed to get a quick peace then, tho)

While I actually started to settle into this uphill battle and regarded it just as part of "The Japan Experience", stuff then went absolutely downhill:

I allied with spain in 1906. After about 2 months, they somehow managed to get into war with Russia, the US, and France, all at once. 
Then they apparently just got peace treaties with all 3 the next turn and left me to sort out their mess. 
So I concentrated my forces on Russia, got another province, made peace. Got what amounted to spare change for the 2000 against 200 VP advantage I had at the point (~16m $).
In those 7 turns, France got 300 VP probably commerce- raiding off some island or smth, and I got in a minor skirmish with the US where I underestimated their CL and thus sat on 222:854 VP. 

Then, they both forced a peace treaty. I had to give them: 123m $ (Almost all of the little budget I had left), 2 Provinces, and like, a third of my fleet including the 5 most modern BBs. 
I mean, it's still 1907, I could probably recover from that, but this just should not happen, and there's a big change France will just be back in a few turns to continue ruining my economy. 

TL;DR: Nations seem to (still) dissolve a bit easily, costs now seem a bit overtuned for nations with low starting economy, economy does not grow enough with additional provinces (Also a reforming GB has the same GDP with just Northern England as ALL of Japan + Parts of China, Russia, and the formerly French pacific colonies, how + why?), weird VP- Reparation- Balance can be very frustrating. 
I believe all of these are not bugs per se, but balancing issues, so I thought i'd bring it up here. 

I'd like to have a toggle for automatic targeting, applying to all selected ships: automatically target all weapons, automatic primaries only, automatic secondaries only, or manual targeting all. For example, for my main battle line I would want to set automatic targeting for secondaries only in most cases, whereas for screens I would use automatic targeting for all weapons in most cases, but switch to manual only when needed. 

I'd also like to be able to set the conditions for custom battles: time of day (morning, afternoon, night) visibility, and sea state. 

Finally, I suggest changing line abreast so that the lead ship of the column becomes the outer ship of the line, instead of becoming the centre of the line. This would make it practical to switch from ahead to abreast in combat, and most importantly to execute a battle turn away. 

Game is too broken too play atm. Shouldn't have been released.

Zero UI improvements in a long while. Please please highlight torps!

Ships randomly become overweight and unable to be built..... I only designed it a few (game) months ago and it was fine then!

Can't directly build to refit specs.... wtf not?

Ship costs/balance is completely out of wack... Building the same quality AC costs about half a BB/BC despite been 1/8th  the size and about that effective. 

Ship designer again hasn't improved at all... needs a complete going over all the component costs and making them make sense as well as making us able to balance the ship via the internal machinery to some degree.... really annoying trying to get rid of the last tiny bit of imbalance. 

Ships still randomly getting damaged before battle.... don't think it was mines since all the ships started at around 80% HP.

Campaign map is still hard to use and fiddly. Really needs a massive UI upgradee.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, SodaBit said:

Got some quick campaign feedback here, though it's not what anyone would call new.
Just fought a battle near the Straights of Gibraltar. Went well enough, but both BC's and one of my CL's needed repair afterwards, and will reinforce once that's done, returning to the site of the battle as soon as they are able. By next month, one of my BC's is doing just that.
DpRkOct.png
But there's a pretty massive problem. This battlecruiser was only lightly damaged, so was able to make repairs in pretty much any port she stopped in.
DHdSm3Z.png
Naturally, having just fought a battle off the coast of Spain, rather than stop in a near by allied port, or return to Germany, She Sailed All The Way To Truk.

I'm not really going to bother explaining why this is a problem. The situation speaks for itself.

Also, despite the Straights being closed to me until I can successfully capture the Rock, the other BC in need of repairs went to do so in Odessa, apparently being capable of running the Straights, and evading all French and British units as she sailed the Entire Mediterranean Sea By Herself, then making it safely to the Black Sea, all with her bows flooded from a torpedo hit.

The idiocy of situations like this is why I stopped playing the game, and I refuse to return until enough good forum users can say with straight faces that such things are in the past. Too many issues are "fixed" only to return immediately upon the next patch...

• Like 4

Submarines are completely unbalanced in the current campaign. For a few reasons.

1) Subs seem to magically be able to get into the center of task groups avoiding destroyers, and sink multiple capitol ships.

I can think of one time this happened historically, the USS Nautilus at Midway. Other sub attacks on warships happened against small squadrons or individual ships sailing on their own.

2) RNG sucks. There needs to be a clear system on how these engagements are calculated, because as of right now it is NOT fun to have a massive task group attacked by a single sub, sinking several modern battleships.

So yea, ahistorical, terrible to play against or with, and a mechanic that seems predicated on RNG. They need major work, cause right now I'm considering not playing the game until BrotherMonro's forked balance mod that completely eliminates mines and subs is released.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, ColonelZoom said:

I actually just ragequitted out of a campaign due to what can in no way be intentional, on top of the economy- balancing- changes making stuff a bit weird the whole time. Wall of text coming in, TL;DR at the end. 

Started as Japan in 1890. 

At 1893 or 1894, relations with China rapidly declined and war startet after a few turns.
At about the same time, Britain spontaneously dissolved due to economic collapse without any interaction from my side. 

Soon, Russia joined the war, then the US, then France, probably due to the urgent alliance- system in my experience sometimes triggering chain events. 

This war then dragged on into the 1900s, tho I managed to invade parts of Russia, China, Alaska and to completely banish France from the pacific and subsequently get the parties out of the war one by one. 
All of this would have been an actually fun experience, if I had ANY money at all, but with the most provinces after all this I still had the poorest nation with the smallest economic growth, and was constantly in the red in both war and peace.

I barely can afford sending a fleet from Sasebo into the vicinity of Port Arthur, meanwhile France has no problem building obscene amounts of ships and, with no ports in the entire pacific, sailing all of it across the globe to bully me for a second time (I managed to get a quick peace then, tho)

While I actually started to settle into this uphill battle and regarded it just as part of "The Japan Experience", stuff then went absolutely downhill:

I allied with spain in 1906. After about 2 months, they somehow managed to get into war with Russia, the US, and France, all at once. 
Then they apparently just got peace treaties with all 3 the next turn and left me to sort out their mess. 
So I concentrated my forces on Russia, got another province, made peace. Got what amounted to spare change for the 2000 against 200 VP advantage I had at the point (~16m $).
In those 7 turns, France got 300 VP probably commerce- raiding off some island or smth, and I got in a minor skirmish with the US where I underestimated their CL and thus sat on 222:854 VP. 

Then, they both forced a peace treaty. I had to give them: 123m $ (Almost all of the little budget I had left), 2 Provinces, and like, a third of my fleet including the 5 most modern BBs. 
I mean, it's still 1907, I could probably recover from that, but this just should not happen, and there's a big change France will just be back in a few turns to continue ruining my economy. 

TL;DR: Nations seem to (still) dissolve a bit easily, costs now seem a bit overtuned for nations with low starting economy, economy does not grow enough with additional provinces (Also a reforming GB has the same GDP with just Northern England as ALL of Japan + Parts of China, Russia, and the formerly French pacific colonies, how + why?), weird VP- Reparation- Balance can be very frustrating. 
I believe all of these are not bugs per se, but balancing issues, so I thought i'd bring it up here. 

I have noticed the same thing regarding France in my newest campaign.  I have no idea how they spammed out so many capital ships in such a short period.

I agree with the mass of economic irregularities.  However it does not seem to be a priority for the dev team.  USAs disproportionately growth has been complained about both here and on steam for months.  

Maybe I'm used to the old versions...but it sure seems like I have a lot of ships spontaneously combusting lately...

Edited by applegrcoug

On 3/9/2023 at 1:11 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Your helpful feedback continues and based to it we decided to offer another intermediate patch before the major update. Here is what it includes:

Hotfix Update v1.2.7 9/3/2023
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/3678916525459395092 

Peace deals and alliances seem to have broken or aren't working as intended
-emergency allies are occasionally treated as treaty ones which creates issues leading towards my next point
-the options to peace deal rarely works likely due to the game considering allied AI invasions into the equation 

-horrible issue with snowballing wars thanks to unwanted alliances with no way out, example being myself having good relations with the UK and USA(56 Uk and 93 USA) and having peaced with USSR and France slightly prior however thanks to the emergency alliance that I can't get rid of with Austria I get this (attached images)

-another issue with peace deals due to the simulated rng of the politics system I don't have a screenshot however what would occur constantly is the AI would request a peace deal I would accept and even initiate it however due to the politics systems random chance it wouldn't go through for multiple turns

(this admittedly is something more fit for the road map thread: the way politics works in its current form isn't something that feels fun and tends to be a hinderance to the player due to the lack of player control I understand the way it is now is to simulate the government doing it's own thing but it quickly becomes tedious such as spending 10 turns trying to improve relations only to fail half the time and a one turn cooldown to said country only to slightly improve relations. The way I could see politics moving forward is twofold, one remove the random chance which I don't think would be all that fun because it is nice to get some pushback, and two have prestige be something that isn't just a gimmicked currency and affect the chance of decisions going through high prestige means high chance low prestige low chance. admittedly the later would take some time to implement but it would maintain the spirit of the current system while not feeling like a cursed roller coaster where you can't tell if you can or can't get off the ride)

20230313024151_1.jpg

20230313024155_1.jpg

• Like 2

After my TF had battle in Adriatic sea, some damaged ships got teleported to my base at Balboa (Carribean) and others at Mogadishu. I'm playing as A-H, and have operatinal bases at Pola, Ancona, Cattaro, Spalato and Bar. This have never happened before and this makes playing campaign very, very unpleasant.

Formations are permanently broken after avoiding torpedoes, lead ship is left alone with other ships circling far beyond unable to ever rejoin formation. Lowering speed of the lead ship does not help at all.

Even on normal difficulty AI have too much financial boost. Italy defeated multiple times and left only with Sicily, Sardinia and Southern Italy is able to spam fleet of 8BBs, 4CAs, 38Cls and 18 DDs. And by spam I mean it was rebuilt from scratch in 5 year time (italian fleet was completely destroyed during previous wars). These are all new ships. And it is still building. How, when I struggle to maintain similar fleet with colonies and half of the Italy held?

Edited by Zuikaku