Game-Labs Forum

Clown Car Thread

SonicB

2 hours ago, tvaishar said:

Japanese Nelson class tanker on a lot of acid.

nelson_on_acid.png

On one hand, I'm impressed that the AI stuck to an all centerline approach and put a ton of decently sized guns with fairly decent firing arcs (let's ignore that one 2 or 3 inch turret). On the other hand... not one (truly) big caliber? I hope the AI got decent armor or speed out of it...

8 hours ago, AurumCorvus said:

On one hand, I'm impressed that the AI stuck to an all centerline approach and put a ton of decently sized guns with fairly decent firing arcs (let's ignore that one 2 or 3 inch turret). On the other hand... not one (truly) big caliber? I hope the AI got decent armor or speed out of it...

Well, armor was ok (12+ inches main belt if I recall correctly), main battery was 11 inches, secondaries of all sizes, few bulkheads and speed? 16 knots. But at least they used safe ammo (tube powder + tnt II), so it didn't blow up.

This one's funny, perfectly adequate armament.

But once again, this is not AI problem, this is stupidly limited editor problem. No matter how good is AI, if this crap is the only thing possible to assemble due to all the limitations, this will be the one AI builds. And the one player builds under the same limits, likely.

0kPPljK.png

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting to see how long will it take for them to dump this sunken cost fallacy of a system and just use templates.

This image is from a discord user:

Default_Screenshot_2021.11.24_-_22.18.30

I'm a broken record at this time. (Almost) every player says "Ditch this AI, it just doesnt work, get templates.", GL says "No, wE WilL BAlaNce aNd pATch thIs AI".

After weeks of more wasted development fixing this little * * * *, we get another bug.

When will they get the message...

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stormnet said:

I'm waiting to see how long will it take for them to dump this sunken cost fallacy of a system and just use templates.

This image is from a discord user:

Default_Screenshot_2021.11.24_-_22.18.30

I'm a broken record at this time. (Almost) every player says "Ditch this AI, it just doesnt work, get templates.", GL says "No, wE WilL BAlaNce aNd pATch thIs AI".

After weeks of more wasted development fixing this little * * * *, we get another bug.

When will they get the message...

That looks like the barbette that rotates from the edge point, so maybe designed ok, just rendering in incorrect.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, Skeksis said:

That looks like the barbette that rotates from the edge point, so maybe designed ok, just rendering in incorrect.

As much as I don't agree with Skeksis talking point, this bug existed since the beginning of the game. It was fixed for the most part, but I guess it crops up from time to time. Back then, the turrets of a sinking ship would always sink differently than the rest of the hull, causing weird images like this.

Edited by ColonelHenry
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 3:00 AM, Speglord said:

Encountered this beauty in the campaign just now.

uad.png

Was looking for this thread just to post something very similar.  This is the standard british light cruiser in my current campaign as germany, 1890.  She's armed with 5" in the turrets and twin 3" casemates.  Thing is, to the side she can only bring that one turret just aft of the 2nd tower to bear, along with the 3 inchers.  My own CL basically can maneuver in, out-firing , and take up station in a circle fight, putting about 3x the firepower in.  Even with the AI's broken hit advantage where they are always achieving a hit percentage as much as double what is shown, I can break this one.  Swap to HE only, and just burn her down. screen_1920x1080_2021-11-30_10-07-49.thumb.png.dfd6ffce7e1d5ab91f7f363fe8cfdc84.png

• Like 3

Since we all like to have a laugh at the "ridiculousness" of the AI for slapping all different manner of guns onto a hull, may I present the very real protected cruiser USS Columbia (1890) which was armed with:

1 x 8in open mount gun on the aft quarterdeck

2 x 6in open mounts (w/ gun shields) on the forecastle mounted side by side so they cannot fire broadside together

8 x 4in guns in casements on the main deck with roughly set out in pairs on each side to the fore and aft

12 x 6pdr (2.2in) guns in casements and everywhere else

4 x 1pdr Pom-Poms presumably somewhere up high

4 x Gatling guns again someplace up top

1 x Field Artillery piece for land-based gunboat diplomacy

4 x torpedo tubes

For more pictures of this odd steel beast:
https://www.loc.gov/search/?fa=online-format:image&q=uss+columbia

2b0f98a64d1d4b7d9900c098d45ff039.jpg

Columbiaprof.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, UnleashtheKraken said:

Was looking for this thread just to post something very similar.  This is the standard british light cruiser in my current campaign as germany, 1890.  She's armed with 5" in the turrets and twin 3" casemates.  Thing is, to the side she can only bring that one turret just aft of the 2nd tower to bear, along with the 3 inchers.  My own CL basically can maneuver in, out-firing , and take up station in a circle fight, putting about 3x the firepower in.  Even with the AI's broken hit advantage where they are always achieving a hit percentage as much as double what is shown, I can break this one.  Swap to HE only, and just burn her down. screen_1920x1080_2021-11-30_10-07-49.thumb.png.dfd6ffce7e1d5ab91f7f363fe8cfdc84.png

Yeah sadly i saw that design already many times in my 1890 campaign test.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, o Barão said:

I only see that small secondary limiting the angle of fire for the main gun in the middle. What is about that design you think is wrong?

Move the triple in the middle to the end! Its firing arcs ended up being nonexistant. & those single turrets: albeit historical for some cruisers, in the wacky alt timeline UAD lives in they make no sense.

Proof: despite being a newer hull, greater displacement, and more expensive than my cruisers, it managed to be slower, possessed of fewer bulkheads, MUCH less armored, and MUCH less armed than my smaller and cheaper cruiser.

It was (IIRC) 21.7 kts w/ 5.5" belt, that absurd mixed 2x3x9" and 4x1x8" (& 2x1x7") turret arrangement, with standard # of bulkheads. For a million bucks fewer and ~1500 t lighter, it was up against my ABX (can actually bring all guns to bear!) 3x3x11" (& assorted 4"ers) cruiser with a 13" of belt, 30 kts of speed, and max bulkheads. You can guess who never lost a cruiser in that campaign.

Clown car indeed.

Edited by neph

17 hours ago, o Barão said:

@nephok so is more a question of personal taste in this situation about what should be done instead what can be done.

If the AI manages to waste all its displacement on rows of subcaliber single-mount turrets on both sides--blocking the firing arcs of its few decent guns--& produce a slower, weaker, and more fragile ship for it, that's simply not a competitive design for the era. I don't think criticizing it is a matter of personal taste.

Edited by neph