Game-Labs Forum

Clown Car Thread

SonicB

4 hours ago, Whomst'd've said:

What I built:

Mg76hIQ.png

A 40K ton, 22 knot, 8 13inch gun monster with a 16.9 inch main belt!

What the AI Built:

rObpyzK.png

4 hours ago, The_Real_Hawkeye said:

Maybe someone should teach the AI that, while this design has all it's main guns forward of the bridge, this is not what an All-Forward design is supposed to look like.

805336143_clowncar1-GermanBC1920.thumb.jpg.51c9f2d6ee1b52ae25ed2bea6e8821a3.jpg

I can't stand these small guns on large barbettes and large guns on small barbettes. Plus putting the smaller guns, barbette or not, closer in towards the center of the hull, and leaving the larger guns out towards the bow/stern, can't be good for the weight distribution...

• Like 3

On 12/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, Littorio said:

I can't stand these small guns on large barbettes and large guns on small barbettes. Plus putting the smaller guns, barbette or not, closer in towards the center of the hull, and leaving the larger guns out towards the bow/stern, can't be good for the weight distribution...

What I never understood was why barbettes weren't just linked directly to the turrets. You choose your caliber and then you choose if you want the superfiring w/ barbette or just the turret (or the extra tall barbette for the small guns capable of it). Rather, we have a lot of excess barbettes in an awkward situation that honestly doesn't do much. You have the optimum barbettes, and anything bigger is wasted weight.

Honestly, that change might also stop the AI from creating a lot of these clown cars as well. But it's probably too late now as a lot of the ship designer code is probably set in stone.

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, AurumCorvus said:

What I never understood was why barbettes weren't just linked directly to the turrets. You choose your caliber and then you choose if you want the superfiring w/ barbette or just the turret (or the extra tall barbette for the small guns capable of it). Rather, we have a lot of excess barbettes in an awkward situation that honestly doesn't do much. You have the optimum barbettes, and anything bigger is wasted weight.

That would certainly work a thousand times better.

• Like 4

I saw this in the battles, so used the save-game file to get a proper screenshot of this nice looking CL the Brits designed in the 1940 campaign.

Leaving aside the issue of the torpedo launchers that clip into the super-structure and 2" guns... they use singe-gun turrets on a light cruiser in 1940. oOsinge_gun_CL.thumb.jpg.7aab89e2cb4325232c272390c320ee0b.jpg

Edited by Norbert Sattler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norbert Sattler said:

I saw this in the battles, so used the save-game file to get a proper screenshot of this nice looking CL the Brits designed in the 1940 campaign.

Leaving aside the issue of the torpedo launchers that clip into the super-structure and 2" guns... they use singe-gun turrets on a light cruiser in 1940. oOsinge_gun_CL.thumb.jpg.7aab89e2cb4325232c272390c320ee0b.jpg

It seems like the AI can routinely make ships that us mere mortals cannot. I hope this is a priority going forward for the devs. Whatever they can make, we should be able to and vice versa. It seems particularly bad sometimes given small secondary guns on various superstructures.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Littorio said:

It seems particularly bad sometimes given small secondary guns on various superstructures.

And at the risk of quoting myself but appearing vain, I have here a perfect example with the new 1.01 update of what I was talking about (among other AI shipbuilding woes):....it appears something is wrong with the uploader? I'm limited to "1.44MB" max size? Most screenshots are larger. Anyone else have a sudden uploader issue here?

Edited by Littorio

Leaving aside the issue of the torpedo launchers that clip into the super-structure and 2" guns... they use singe-gun turrets on a light cruiser in 1940. oO

I've noticed this in almost every 1940's campaign I start. The AI loves single-gun turrets in 1940 for some reason us feeble humans cannot understand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phelidai said:

I've noticed this in almost every 1940's campaign I start. The AI loves single-gun turrets in 1940 for some reason us feeble humans cannot understand.

Obviously, it is prolonging its inevitable demise by making you knock out more turrets, which requires you to expend more ammunition and which will require you to hit the ship more times.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:37 PM, Littorio said:

And at the risk of quoting myself but appearing vain, I have here a perfect example with the new 1.01 update of what I was talking about (among other AI shipbuilding woes):....it appears something is wrong with the uploader? I'm limited to "1.44MB" max size? Most screenshots are larger. Anyone else have a sudden uploader issue here?

Always upload to imgur and then link the image here. I never had any luck with uploading image directly to this site.

• Like 1

So, this was one of my earlier designs with one of the older versions. I am aware of the engineering issues this would present, still would be interesting to hear thoughts on the near full stern loadout setup.

This is what I call a "kiter" running away while angled and firing. I think hearing your thoughts would prove amusing at least. I already know the engineering would be an absolute nightmare.

bcyellow4.jpg

Why did you put the two most-forward turrets in the back though?

I understand the tripple-stacked superfiring ones, but with those three back turrets in the way, the other two couldn't fire back anyway, so why not put one of both of them up front for better weight balance and being able to fire to the front?

It was more an experiment to see if it could be done than anything else. I agree with you myself really, but I have designs like what you're saying... And I've also designed like abcd and then a y turret too, or a then wxyz Trust me, I've got most turret set ups done somewhere...

Even the 7 turret, 21 gun 17" super battleship. Or, the 7 turret 28 gun 16" version... I'd try for eight, but I dont think the game allows it.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:41 AM, ColonelHenry said:

Always upload to imgur and then link the image here. I never had any luck with uploading image directly to this site.

Thanks for the tip. It's odd, I never had issues before the other night and now it's weird.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bishop120 said:

Thought yall might like this CA waiting for some float planes or helis with his deck space... 2x3x9ins 1x3x5in and 1x3x3in that I couldnt even see anywhere..226555129_BabyCruiser.thumb.jpg.8d04b7301b264fa7f39f79460f3a089e.jpg

If you mouse over the gun icon on the ship's info panel on the right it will get a bright yellow highlighted outline over its position on the ship itself.

• Like 1