Game-Labs Forum

Clown Car Thread

SonicB

22 minutes ago, Captain Meow said:

From someone's video:

- notches for side turrets are empty
- oversized turrets placed at sides in a way they can't even rotate
- oversized barbette just to have that tiny turret raised.

000.jpg

Also turrets on top of turrets. This was never a thing

31 minutes ago, Captain Meow said:

Nope, this was a bi-level gunhouse, not two separate, independent gunhouses.  The 8-inch guns could only elevate independent from the 13-inch guns in the lower level.  The whole idea was that the 8-inch guns could be brought into action during the long reloading cycle of the 13-inch guns and could fire several times without affecting the firing cycle of the bigger guns, but by the time the ships were actually built big gun reloading had improved drastically and firing the 8-inch guns would interfere with the firing cycle of the big guns, lowering their RoF (and vice versa).  Completely failed idea that is still isn’t what the game has with completely independent turret mounted on top of another which should provide a light armor route for shells to enter and then flash into your main turret while also hugely complicating ammo supply to the turret on top of a turret, i.e. an incredibly stupid and unworkable design.

What ships did have for a limited period was open anti-torpedo gun pedestal mounts on top of main gun turrets.  This was because it was assumed that the two systems would not be in use at the same time.  Torpedo boats would only attack at night and be seen at very short range where the main guns could not be brought into action and would not be participating in the sort of daytime actions where the main guns were in use.  These guns simply could not be manned while the main guns were firing.  Same was true for light AA guns later placed in similar positions.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

From my just-started British 1910 campaign where I accidentally let the AI auto-design my legacy fleet, I give you HMS Dread...not!

568443613_HMSDreadnot.thumb.jpg.2ff0028a98482c87447199120620717d.jpg

But seriously, this isn't a dreadnought.  It's semi-dreadnought with the speed of a pre-dreadnought, and with an absurd mix of secondaries, tertiaries, etc. (I especially love that ultra-efficient use of a 319t barbette).

• Like 7

On 1/22/2022 at 5:37 PM, akd said:

From my just-started British 1910 campaign where I accidentally let the AI auto-design my legacy fleet, I give you HMS Dread...not!

568443613_HMSDreadnot.thumb.jpg.2ff0028a98482c87447199120620717d.jpg

But seriously, this isn't a dreadnought.  It's semi-dreadnought with the speed of a pre-dreadnought, and with an absurd mix of secondaries, tertiaries, etc. (I especially love that ultra-efficient use of a 319t barbette).

I really think going for a pre-made ship hull is the second biggest mistake. There is nothing the AI could make using this hull without building HMS Dreadnought that is

1. Historical, because it's HMS Dreadnought hull, you can't do much with the hull because it was built to house exactly the guns and the superstructure, limiting the kind of weapons you could put on it without looking absolutely ass like above. (To clarify as in you cannot put anything outside of the 12inch--> 13inch and still have the ship look like a Dreadnought because everything would be too out of place and either making it a weird futuristic design or ... again, like above)

2. Good looking and competitive, because it is an AI that is being forced to CREATE something that can beat a human and be visually appealing to the human. I mean... If AIs could do such things, I'll bet my life saving an indie game developer isn't going to be the one to invent this AI.

Seriously... Please... Can we get a shipbuilder patch, solely focusing on ship building and hulls?

Edited by ColonelHenry
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Unless they implement rules by which the AI will built ships:

- speed depending on year: not less than etc, not much than etc.
- weight offset: from 0 to certain percent.
- armor thickness depending on main gun's caliber & type of ship & how it should be distributed (like fore & aft belt not less than half of main belt, etc).
- barbette diameter: not more or less than like 10% of the turret's base.
- turrets being placed only when the deck under them is not less than the turret's base so there will not be overhanging/oversized turrets in odd places.
- firing arc for any turret not less than 180 degrees.

Because it seems AI simply dumps whatever fits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, neph said:

What the hell is this & what the hell is that secondary placement?? the AI is cheating egregiously--and it's still losing!

t6BpNR4.png

Isn't the placement reasoning obvious? By having the secondaries hang so far off the deck, any underpreforming sailors can be quickly thrown overboard.

• Like 4

On 2/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, Phelidai said:

Isn't the placement reasoning obvious? By having the secondaries hang so far off the deck, any underpreforming sailors can be quickly thrown overboard.

Alas, if only the Captain could be thrown overboard with such ease.  I suppose the AI will have to try and choke Captain Needa for letting those transports escape using the limited bandwidth 1920's radio allows for.

This has to be one of the wackiest designs I've seen yet. 3 smoke spewing funnels. 15 fourteen inch guns. On a battlecruiser. In 1920. Not to mention she's being held together by a 6 inch belt and... that's about it actually. The accuracy of the 14" guns is horrendous. This thing couldn't hit an island from 100 meters away. The secondary spam is a nice touch too.

boat-min.thumb.png.d0ae121aa36d5d4e739a00d1415af8a1.png

• Like 5