Game-Labs Forum

Seasonal Patch: The Missing Links Part 1

admin

It's not about foul words though. Most people don't give a hello kitty about swearing. It's the trolling, arguing and politics. I didn't like the cross nation intel either. Players can use nation chat for help and can communicate in port (which adds a bit of realism/immersion).  Personally I'm glad to see global go.

I like the wind shadow and the battle sails mechanic looks better now. 

I don't even have a problem with the new penetration mechanics, they seem fine, I was still angling/bouncing ok.

Over all its a good patch....except...the ease of demasting which I still think is going to detract from the gameplay/tactics/skill perspective. Which btw is not my own personal subjective opinion but it is the over whelming opinion of every player I have spoken to in my nation's TS.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

Players can use nation chat for help and can communicate in port (which adds a bit of realism/immersion).  Personally I'm glad to see global go.

Fault with that logic is you are assuming everyone sails for one of the high population nations.  Poland, Nation chat doesn't exist.  So the removal of Global makes the smaller nations even more remote, unattractive  and difficult. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freddykrueger66 said:

Well, it gives unfair disadvantages to casual players. 

There are no illusions. People who buy the game read the reviews. They know what they are getting into. Everyone even the pure traders are hardcore mother*****rs. There are no casuals in the game. Nor that we want them.

Some games are niche and not for everyone. We are the second largest full loot mmo after eve and have no plans to cater to the so called mass market casual crowd. Thanks

• Like 6

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised with this patch. I think it's the best of the best that's been introduced to the game, from the defensive fleets.

Thanks devs.

Now, there are things that would be improved, such as that when you are sailing with the wind totally to the stern, the back sails steal the wind from the front, forcing you not to be able to go exactly with the wind in 180o for a long time, but that intermediate position is only while making changes to positions with lateral-rear wind.

It would also be nice if the speeds on the general map were increased by reducing travel times, something I think, they tire 90% of the players and 100% of those who are no longer there, do not plan to return or when they see something of the game have thought it is a waste of time.

By the way, it might be fine, put some way for players to calculate more or less by eye but with some precision the distance at which the target is in battles.

And above all, that the shallow water affects the battle between ships, not just navigation, and if someone screws up, that their ship can receive damage as waterways during the battle by the effect of the shallows or decide whether to alter course and stop chasing their prey.

I would also be grateful for a change in the boarding system, I have your Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail game and I see the crew fighting the troops with muskets shooting from the aft castles and I wonder, if there is no better, more apparent and fun way to work on boardings than the current system, which really , it's pretty bad.

Despite all the above, thank you again, you have given me enormous joy and you have given me the hope that this game can be the good and great, which I expected from the beginning to be.

Edited by Timberjac
  • Like 1

Battle sails hotfix has been deployed

Warning - DONT FIGHT AT FULL SAIL at close/medium range. 

Sail combinations bonuses have been updated.

Logic

• Turning bonus - You get better rudder performance due to less heel and water pressure at keel at certain sail positions 
  • Yard torque bonus - same as above - due to less resistance at keel you get better yard side torque
  • Crew on sail reduction = 85%. - self explanatory - less sails = less crew to operate
  • Sail damage resistance = less sail open, less damage to rig and entanglement from chain
  • Mast thickness bonus= 45% = less sail open results in less wind pressure on masts ,thus they are harder to take down.
  • Mast damage reduction= -80% = less sail open results in less wind pressure on masts, thus they are harder to break if rig is damaged or mast is hit.

We are thinking of also adding accuracy bonuses to lower sails as you have a lot better visibility on deck for gun crews if you dont have lower main sails opened. 

Here is the current state of bonuses after maintenance.

Stop

• Turning bonus
  • Yard torque bonus
  • Crew on sail reduction = 85%.
  • Sail damage resistance
  • Mast thickness bonus= 45%
  • Mast damage reduction= -80%

Slow

• Turning bonus = 5% 
  • Yard torque bonus
  • Crew on sail reduction = -85%
  • Sail damage resistance = -75%
  • Mast thickness bonus = 35%
  • Mast damage reduction= -65%

Half

• Turning bonus = 10%
  • Yard torque bonus = 10%
  • Crew on sail reduction = -75%
  • Sail damage resistance = -60%
  • Mast thickness bonus = 25%
  • Mast damage reduction = -50%

Battle

• Turning bonus  = 15% 
  • Crew on sail reduction = -50%
  • Sail damage resistance = 40%
  • Mast damage reduction = -30%

Full

• Turning bonus = 
  • Yard torque bonus = 
  • Crew on sail reduction = 
  • Sail damage resistance = 10% more damage - due to full wind pressure
  • Mast thickness bonus = -20% less thickness - due to full wind pressure
  • Mast damage reduction = 20% more damage - due to full excessive wind pressure on sails

Several players asked us (thanks for questions @Koltes)
Battle sails - why you get a lot of speed at half sail?

Sails work the following way.

Every additional square ft (meter) of sails give less and less power when added (lower utility). First 10% of sails give approximately 30% of speed. Last 10% of sails give almost no speed bonus and could even slow you down (by increasing heel, screwing your rudder position and keel position creating additional leeway that need to be corrected constantly). The specific relationship was described in several seamanship treatises and shipbuilding books. We have implemented this relationship.

As a result like in real life you don't need full sails to sail fast. Extra sails are needed if you need to squeeze extra half knot during chase, but during battle you can get everything at battle sails. Just like in real historical battles.  

• Like 9

Wow, you are shaking things up! 

Let's see how this all affects the gameplay. I really cant tell right now how all this will affect the game. But if it makes people fight more and run less, i am allways for the changes :)

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Battle sails hotfix has been deployed

Warning - DONT FIGHT AT FULL SAIL at close/medium range. 

Sail combinations bonuses have been updated.

Stop

• Turning bonus
  • Yard torque bonus
  • Crew on sail reduction = 85%
  • Sail damage resistance
  • Mast thickness bonus= 45%
  • Mast damage reduction= -80%

Slow

• Turning bonus = 5% 
  • Yard torque bonus
  • Crew on sail reduction = -85%
  • Sail damage resistance = -75%
  • Mast thickness bonus = 35%
  • Mast damage reduction= -65%

Half

• Turning bonus = 10%
  • Crew on sail reduction = -75%
  • Sail damage resistance = -60%
  • Mast damage reduction = -50%

Battle

• Turning bonus  = 15% 
  • Crew on sail reduction = -50%
  • Sail damage resistance = 40%
  • Mast damage reduction = -30%

Full

• Turning bonus = 
  • Yard torque bonus = 
  • Crew on sail reduction = 
  • Sail damage resistance = 10% more damage - due to full wind pressure
  • Mast thickness bonus = -20% less thickness - due to full wind pressure
  • Mast damage reduction = 20% more damage - due to full excessive wind pressure on sails

Thanks... really great

8 minutes ago, admin said:

There are no illusions. People who buy the game read the reviews. They know what they are getting into. Everyone even the pure traders are hardcore mother*****rs. There are no casuals in the game. Nor that we want them.

Some games are niche and not for everyone. We are the second largest full loot mmo after eve and have no plans to cater to the so called mass market casual crowd. Thanks

I've been playing since sea trials and am not a casual player, yet if you look at the game in 2016 it was very playable and the hardcore part was mostly about gaining skill in combat and fleet battles which have an awesome challenging learning curve. There was a massive playerbase with up to 2k people online at evenings. talking about 1st rates with 5 lives, cheap mods, not expensive crafting, etc. It was all about getting your hands dirty into open world pvp or RVR

Somehow it slowly got shifted to a equipment race over the years.

I'm not trying to argue for a full casual experience where you don't need skill and get everything for free, that wouldn't be satisfying indeed. However I'm very worried that it's going so far the other road that people will stop playing. If they stop playing there is nothing to do which is already a huge problem atm finding balanced content.

• Like 2

Thanks for this hotfix. It's a nice incentive to use battle sails now, at least at close range.

Since it's a radical change for battle mechanics, may you share it in the "Important Announcements" in the log in screen?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

It's not about foul words though. Most people don't give a hello kitty about swearing. It's the trolling, arguing and politics. I didn't like the cross nation intel either. Players can use nation chat for help and can communicate in port (which adds a bit of realism/immersion).  Personally I'm glad to see global go.

I like the wind shadow and the battle sails mechanic looks better now. 

I don't even have a problem with the new penetration mechanics, they seem fine, I was still angling/bouncing ok.

Over all its a good patch....except...the ease of demasting which I still think is going to detract from the gameplay/tactics/skill perspective. Which btw is not my own personal subjective opinion but it is the over whelming opinion of every player I have spoken to in my nation's TS.

i agree 

furthermore the update is good

one little remark.

perhaps the horizontal dispersion in the "sniping" upgrade needs a   little be nerved to overcome the effect of " upgrade snipping meta"

all just just for keeping the game a pleasure. 

Edited by Thonys

1 minute ago, Thonys said:

i agree 

furthermore the update is good

one little remark.

perhaps the horizontal dispersion in the "sniping" upgrade needs a   little be nerved to overcome the effect of " upgrade snipping meta"

all just just for keeping the game pleasure. 

Can you rephrase? I dont get it.

13 minutes ago, admin said:

Установлено исправление боевых парусов

Предупреждение - НЕ СРАЖАЙТЕСЬ НА ПОЛНОМ ПАРУСЕ на близких / средних дистанциях. 

Боевой

• Бонус поворота = 15% 
  • Бонус крутящего момента верфи = 10%
  • Уменьшение экипажа на парусе = -50%
  • Устойчивость к повреждениям паруса = 40%
  • Бонус к толщине мачты = 25%
  • Снижение урона от мачты = -30%

Полный

• Бонус поворота = 
  • Бонус крутящего момента верфи = 
  • Уменьшение числа членов экипажа = 
  • Устойчивость к повреждениям паруса = на 10% больше повреждений - из-за полного давления ветра
  • Бонус к толщине мачты = толщина на -20% меньше - из-за полного ветрового давления
  • Снижение повреждений мачты = на 20% больше повреждений - из-за чрезмерного давления ветра на паруса

А эти параметры вступают в силу в какой момент:

- момент нажатия кнопки (например "боевые паруса")

- момент завершения исполнения соответствующей команды

- иной момент?

Поясню вопрос: если я почти сбил мачту кораблю, идущему на полных парусах мелким калибром и стреляю, чтобы ее сбить очередным выстрелом (последним, чтобы ее сбить), а соперник именно в этот момент нажимает "боевые паруса", то я

- собью ему мачту, так как бонусы к толщине и hp мачты еще не вступили в силу,

- не пробью мачту вообще, так как бонус к толщине мачты сразу вступил в силу по нажатии кнопки "боевые паруса" (пока летело мое малокалиберное ядро)

- иной вариант?

2 hours ago, CaptLouis said:

Please can we have control of bracing over all three masts on a ship rigged ship, not just foremast and everything aft ganged together. You still can't heave-to by backing your main mast, 5+ years after I started playing :( There need to be controls for all three masts!

front qe
back zc 

which button. the only concern is the button. In sea legends we have worked around this very creatively but here we are not sure which buttons to use for central mast

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rolando said:

А эти параметры вступают в силу в какой момент:

- момент нажатия кнопки (например "боевые паруса")

- момент завершения исполнения соответствующей команды

- иной момент?

Поясню вопрос: если я почти сбил мачту кораблю, идущему на полных парусах мелким калибром и стреляю, чтобы ее сбить очередным выстрелом (последним, чтобы ее сбить), а соперник именно в этот момент нажимает "боевые паруса", то я

- собью ему мачту, так как бонусы к толщине и hp мачты еще не вступили в силу,

- не пробью мачту вообще, так как бонус к толщине мачты сразу вступил в силу по нажатии кнопки "боевые паруса" (пока летело мое малокалиберное ядро)

- иной вариант?

по достижении процента необходимого - то есть не сразу

5 minutes ago, Lt Sekiro said:

@admin

Is it possible to have penetration on gun for 0M in gun description?

It may be smaller than it appears, after all, the projectile takes a while to stop having potential energy to have kinetic energy, which is the one that actually gives the damage. You can try the airsoft balls of a pistol, if you put your finger on the tip of the gun, you stop the projectile and it hardly stings if you give it enough distance, itches much more.

Edited by Timberjac

46 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes, I understand but we are four cats here.. And is difficult to have fight or fight with people on the same level of skills. 

Could be nice to have a way to gain more players, not alts, to have more people sailing around. 

• Like 2

Just now, Timberjac said:

It may be smaller than it appears, after all, the projectile takes a while to stop having potential energy to have kinetic energy, which is the one that actually gives the damage. You can try the airsoft balines of a pistol, if you put your finger on the tip of the gun, you stop the projectile and it hardly stings if you give it enough distance, itches much more.

I know that , but sometime demasting depend on 1 penetration value.