Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming patch information

admin

5 hours ago, admin said:

Answered above.. Short version here

Reacting with wallets is of course enough. Thus - if you react with wallets you get new things for this fair and square deal. but answer me this

• Why a developer should give new expansions for free (when all MMOs from TESO to WOW do it for dollars) if dont get any positive reactions for old work we just did?  Who will pay me for programmers for this free content, who will pay me for QA and testing and design, who will pay me for art and localization? 

For DLC is simple. I invest money up front and get payback from those who want that content. More sales = more content.

Why cant those who have spent 1000 hours in game lift their finger and spend 5 mins writing a review?
Explain to me as I am five. 

As a 9k+ player with 6 chars and three of those have 3-4K hours.  Your telling me my 600+ (I’ll add it up tonight after work) dollars means nothing cause you don’t want to put a crafted promised ship in game.  So for me I feel like giving. A negative review instead of going back and giving you a positive vise with still one programmer and talking months to do update I don’t feel your spending the DLC money properly to invest into this game and it’s future.

so why exactly should I change a review that was correct at the time?  You promised new paints 30 days after the dlc release.  It took you something like 6 months to add them.  How is that a way to convene me to make a positive review?

i can log into all 6 of my steam accounts tonight and give positive reviews and even review each of the DLC since I own them all on three chars and most on the other.  That still won’t change your choice to make promises craftable ship such.  Or would it?  

back to work as some of use are essentials.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, admin said:

Thats the purpose of the forum. Have different minds to find the best outcome. The only problem is that you think your mind is best. I dont think mine is best. I know that nobody knows and the great outcome can only be found in painful search (that is painful to watch and use on live game). If you knew everything you would just sell oil futures in January and buy now at -1.5 dollars per barrel.

In terms of de ruyter 
We did not say they should give good reviews because of de ruyter.
We said we are delaying the status of de ruyter because all our previous work that was really wanted (causing growth of online players - wanted by players, removal of ganking in heavy ships around capitals - wanted by players, adding implacable for free - wanted by players, planned removal of all ganking around capitals - wanted by players, etc etc) have not caused any difference in reviews. As a result we see no point in making de ruyter crafteable. We would better use it for my goals and plans, that are irrelevant and dont depend on reviews. 
Change our mind.

Dear @admin

I love the game own multiple copy’s and love to support the game have bought most of the dlc on my main and will buy more.  I will be leaving positive reviews on all of my accounts throughout the next day.

The issue people have are the best ships in the game are becoming dlc.  Having dlc is great and I am going to pick up the last couple ships as soon as the patch hits.  I am worried about the best first rate being dlc as it devalues the other ones.  I love crafting ships I think it would be balanced if you could buy the permit for combat medals equivalent to br for other ships. Buy the dlc and get seasoned woods for you ships and a random bunch of port bonuses but if people could build them as well it would be a game changer.  It would make crafting ships significantly more attractive while still letting people that have cash get seasoned wooded ships for the money.  People feel left out of the ships. 

I love this game and am bringing in people. Please let us build dlc ships with combat medal permits. 

Thank you for everything,

Squeekydoor

Edited by squeekydoor

8 hours ago, admin said:

Thats the purpose of the forum. Have different minds to find the best outcome. The only problem is that you think your mind is best. I dont think mine is best. I know that nobody knows and the great outcome can only be found in painful search (that is painful to watch and use on live game). If you knew everything you would just sell oil futures in January and buy now at -1.5 dollars per barrel.

In terms of de ruyter 
We did not say they should give good reviews because of de ruyter.
We said we are delaying the status of de ruyter because all our previous work that was really wanted (causing growth of online players - wanted by players, removal of ganking in heavy ships around capitals - wanted by players, adding implacable for free - wanted by players, planned removal of all ganking around capitals - wanted by players, etc etc) have not caused any difference in reviews. As a result we see no point in making de ruyter crafteable. We would better use it for my goals and plans, that are irrelevant and dont depend on reviews. 
Change our mind.

I've purchased every ship DLC except the Redoutable. I bought the Leopard and Rattvisan and have happily used them for a trickle of (S) wood.

I didn't purchase the Redoubtable for two reasons:

1. You lied. You stated that there would be no lineships added as DLC. This is scummy.

2. Not only was this lineship added as DLC, but unline other DLC ships, this 3rd rate lineship is ludicrously overpowered in relation to its BR when compared to something similar such as a Bellona. It absolutely reeks of a cash-grab. Built of teak (S) it's the screening meta - why capture a Pavel when you can spawn this every day and it's gonna at least come out blue? Built fir(S) it has nullified all 4ths/frigs that run well downwind as an open sea boat - trincs and indefatigables are no match for it with no advantage yet they actually require constructing.

Now, this didn't net you a negative review from me because I was very happy with the Implacable. It's my favourite boat. It's also a little overpowered and needs a bit adding to its BR, but I love it. In my opinion it is the epitome of quality content.

Regarding de Ruyter, if you add this as a DLC, not only will I not buy it simply out of principle, I will write an honest and negative review outlining the points above which relate to the Redoutable - only I will emphasize that even though the de Ruyter has the same BR as the already overpowered Implacable, it is more overpowered still.

I sympathise with the fact that you are running a business. Ultimately, you need to make money and we are your customers. I recognise I am the minority as I'm of the few people who will in life vote with their wallet and choose not to have something because they disagree with it.

I recognise that running an online game has continued costs. You however need to recognise that we purchased your product with expectations shaped by your statements which we took as truth. If you choose to add ships which outrightly nullify other ships, you are taking away from the purchase of the existing content we have made in good faith, in order to profit further.

The Redoubt has already nullified and obsoleted the Trinc and Inde for all but new players. It has fundamentally removed content from the endgame by its addition. The de Ruyter is better than the Redoubt at being the Redoubt. It's far more combat capable and it's even faster downwind.

You as a developer need to do two things.

1. Keep your word. Don't make statements (DLC lineships for example) if there is a chance of going back on them. Don't box yourself into the corner which you have done and honour the words you have written.

2. Find a way to further monetise your product without detracting from the gameplay experience we have already paid for. In essence, do not obsolete content which we may presently enjoy and have already paid for with new content which you expect us to pay for to stay meta. Add things in new niches or if things have to be better, in a greater price bracket, not as a redeemable daily freebie.

As a customer, here are some suggestions of things I think you've dropped the ball on which you could make bank with:

1. Cosmetics. Add new paints frequently and make them individual purchases or in skin packs. Potentially even add a new generation of skins which are consumed on use which must be repurchased. A few $ here or there is nothing for a customer, but if you add the de Ruyter in as a permit ship I'll be smiling, if I have to pay for the skins I will do so with a smile on my face. If I have to fight nothing but people in endless spawned de Ruyter spam for three months with a chunk of my dockyard obsoleted I will be writing a negative review and you can count on it.

2. Sell convenience. How many admiralty connections have you sold? That's good content. I'd happily pay a few $ for some more warehouse space. I'd happily pay a few $ for my outfitting chest to be 4x the size or to be able to carry more than 10k doubloons at a time. I'd happily pay for more outpost slots. I'd happily pay for more tow permits or for a DLC which allows tow permits to accumulate if not used daily up to a maximum number.

3. If you absolutely have to, sell a DLC that allows the player to sail ships added after this point onward. Another $15 or whatever, call it whatever you like, but don't let people sail permit-built boats added in the game past this point without it. Could do it each year making it function like a recurring subscription to be able to sail all the ingame content, but it retains the need for economy and permits. It retains the diversity of ships on the open sea instead of just a spam of whatever's the DLC meta.

I agree with the implication that most people are idiots who don't vote with their wallets and will buy an overpowered ship if you put it in. However, if DLC lineship spam and current ship obsolesence is the route you choose to take, you risk a slippery slope of cutting short NA's lifespan as player retention suffers tomorrow for income today. I'd implore you to explore other avenues.

• Like 9

Devs feel like they need De Ruyter as a superrare special ship for events. Now, if they give out De Ruyter as permit etc, they lose the prize ship everyone was crazy about at last Diana event. What should we be chasing after if no "mystery ship" is available, because you got everything handed out? Do you expect devs will design an absolutely new ship for every event from scratch? Because the demands will also focus on any new event ship coming: gimme gimme gimme, I can't live without it!!! You can't expect a new ship with every event, or that would result the events to be postponed for months... just as long as it needs each time to design a new ship model.

This while we heard the few people working at game-labs , including "one and a half" graphic artist, have all hands full with lined up work.

1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Devs feel like they need De Ruyter as a superrare special ship for events. Now, if they give out De Ruyter as permit etc, they lose the prize ship everyone was crazy about at last Diana event. What should we be chasing after if no "mystery ship" is available, because you got everything handed out? Do you expect devs will design an absolutely new ship for every event from scratch? Because the demands will also focus on any new event ship coming: gimme gimme gimme, I can't live without it!!! You can't expect a new ship with every event, or that would result the events to be postponed for months... just as long as it needs each time to design a new ship model.

This while we heard the few people working at game-labs , including "one and a half" graphic artist, have all hands full with lined up work.

Everyone showed up to cap a de Ruyter.

Because they were excited about the de Ruyter.

Nobody gives a hello kitty about the event.

They give a hello kitty about the ship they are excited about.

Make sense? Why not just add the ship? Why even have events...

• Like 1

the ryuter event wasnt even that great it was favorited for the prussians considering they had one of their main ports right infront of it

the event had ships from danish and pirates nation wich makes it harder for danish/pirates to capture them cuz half of the ships they cant attack

it was a fun event to launch a new ship into the game but they never released it after to craftable 

Edited by mexicanbatman

6 hours ago, Christian Archer said:

Everyone showed up to cap a de Ruyter.

Because they were excited about the de Ruyter.

Nobody gives a __ about the event.

They give a hello kitty about the ship they are excited about.

Make sense? Why not just add the ship? Why even have events...

Interesting LOGIC
Everyone showed up to see Depeche Mode, because they were excited about Depeche Mode.
Nobody gives a ____ about the concert
They give a ___ about the Depeche Mode. 
Why have concerts  - If you can just add Depeche mode.. 
No! You do not make ANY sense.

Thats the point to have concerts - to see something you are excited about. Same with events. 

14 minutes ago, admin said:

Interesting LOGIC
Everyone showed up to see Depeche Mode, because they were excited about Depeche Mode.

Thats the point to have concerts - to see something you are excited about. Same with events. 

I think what he meant (even though he had a questionable way of saying it) was that the event was so "successful" Cuse everybody wanted to try out the Dereuyter but afterwards most of the ppl I play with were saying that they liked it but rather wait on the full realees of the ship than cap more crap ships! 

Mabey you can keep the event in game but rather use it as a way of testing ships before fully adding them to the game? Let's say now it is de reuyter Diana and Santa them you release de reuyter  as craftable (for example) then it is Diana,? testing ship?, and Santa 

You could keep Diana and or Santa as special ships and add ships in development to the events in a way of testing them before bringing them into the game that way you keep the event special and exiting and have a free way of testing the balancing of new ships? 

Just a suggestion from my side... 

Greetings..... 

Edited by Swedish Berserker
Tipo
  • Like 1

The event with Diana was cool only thing about De Ruyter was that you had to capture the ship. 

A permit is more easy to carry, whit a couple of friend we took one De Ruytera coo one, purple with nice woods, but we were ganked outside the battle. The guy who capped it went mad. Is in tribunal... Maybe with a permit we could escape more faster, if we want follow the rule to save time and have fun. 

• Like 2

I was hyped for the event only because of de ruyter. Captured 5. Sailed them for 2 days and thought: let's wait for crafted ones. 

A craftable De ruyter would make me doing more pvp and log in again. 

I don't sail with captured ones cause I can use redoubtable implacable Christian or Bellona instead. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Swedish Berserker said:

I think what he meant (even though he had a questionable way of saying it) was that the event was so "successful" Cuse everybody wanted to try out the Dereuyter but afterwards most of the ppl I play with were saying that they liked it but rather wait on the full realees of the ship than cap more crap ships! 

New ships events will always be popular especially if you cannot get them the other way. Now players know they cant get the ship the other way - more will come to the concerts.

The idea to open ships to everyone without any effort does not work for us any more + did we did not receive enough praise in reviews for our previous positive change in the game, we no longer see the point of adding content that people can get without effort. Community can change our mind by not sitting on the fence and leaving a review for our previous work. 

In general -
Sometimes we are wrong, but we have experience in this and having sold 1 mln of copies of various games over last 4 years and having recieved multple awards (www.game-labs.net) we can safely say that on average individual members of the are wrong more often than us
Community as a whole IS ALWAYS RIGHT, but indivudual members are mostly (50% of cases) wrong. So we no longer respond to individual members and will only talk to general community. 

We are stopping responding general forums and only will focus on highy rated and voted posts in the Q&A section.
https://forum.game-labs.net/forum/69-feature-proposals-and-gameplay-help-qa/

the section started working amazingly well right from the first day. Bad or useless ideas are downvoted, we read only real useful proposals. Users immediately see if their AMAZING armchair desiNG is interesting to others or not. We will only respond to top proposals in detail without wasting time on downvoted below average proposals. Users will also not be upset anymore because they will see their amazing ideas are not popular. But we will always respond to popular ones.

We will continue talking in patchfeedback about patches.But only if comments relates to patches.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, admin said:

It was mixed (meh) yesterday at 63%

@admin, here you got your answer. 

22 hours ago, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh33333 said:

And a sustained spike in negative reviews following the start of this thread and the announcement of more content being withheld or changing to dlc. The first half of the month is very positive, without any influence from angry forum alts or Devs requesting good reviews.

@admin...and its not only about changing plans for shipreleases !

Following the thread, you noticed that many people raised their concerns about the new RvR mechanic and your new damage system :( 

This coupled with our experience in the past, that made changes got never (edit:) extremly seldom taken back by you, even worse, when the change turned out to be detrimental for the success of the game and the experience of the players and we lifted our fingers on the forum pointing out, what negative effects those new changes will/could have, you soon got stubborn and refused to have any discussion and closed those threads... :( :( :( 

This gives EVERYONE a bad feeling that made changes are irreversible when done and even a constructive discussion isnt allowed anymore...therefore ypu get neagative reviews for bad changes because thats the only way people can raise their concerns (because here in forum its often not allowed)

Dont believe me ? May i remember you what happened about all those threads in last autumn who critized the new wind gusts ???

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

@admin,

This gives EVERYONE a bad feeling that made changes are irreversible when done and even a constructive discussion isnt allowed anymore...therefore ypu get neagative reviews for bad changes because thats the only way people can raise their concerns (because here in forum its often not allowed)

Dont believe me ? May i remember you what happened about all those threads in last autumn who critized the new wind gusts ???

that's not really true in my opinion. Fine woods were removed again. There will come other things to mind, I'm sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DickSmash said:

They have the Diana as the event ship already, people didnt even know that the De Ruyter would be included as well.

Now if Diana stayed for ever as "the special event ship", you would have the Spaniards complaining...

De Ruyter was not announced by name, that was part of the fun, but as I recall, within one day rumors went telling everybody which one it was. And everyone went out hunting.

Hands on deck: De Ruyter is far more attractive as loot than a frigate.

It's not that I don't understand your motivation to demand her to become craftable, my captured De Ruyters are also no perfect dice rolls but still I enjoy them very much as they are.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, admin said:

New ships events will always be popular especially if you cannot get them the other way. Now players know they cant get the ship the other way - more will come to the concerts.

The idea to open ships to everyone without any effort does not work for us any more + did we did not receive enough praise in reviews for our previous positive change in the game, we no longer see the point of adding content that people can get without effort. Community can change our mind by not sitting on the fence and leaving a review for our previous work. 

In general -
Sometimes we are wrong, but we have experience in this and having sold 1 mln of copies of various games over last 4 years and having recieved multple awards (www.game-labs.net) we can safely say that on average individual members of the are wrong more often than us
Community as a whole IS ALWAYS RIGHT, but indivudual members are mostly (50% of cases) wrong. So we no longer respond to individual members and will only talk to general community. 

We are stopping responding general forums and only will focus on highy rated and voted posts in the Q&A section.
https://forum.game-labs.net/forum/69-feature-proposals-and-gameplay-help-qa/

the section started working amazingly well right from the first day. Bad or useless ideas are downvoted, we read only real useful proposals. Users immediately see if their AMAZING armchair desiNG is interesting to others or not. We will only respond to top proposals in detail without wasting time on downvoted below average proposals. Users will also not be upset anymore because they will see their amazing ideas are not popular. But we will always respond to popular ones.

We will continue talking in patchfeedback about patches.But only if comments relates to patches.

If u say so... 

I have to say u improved the Game a lot the Past couple of months it's, the game is better then ever! 

But coming back to you're concert example it would be like:

Band x promotes album with a concert everybody is exitet for the album and afterwards Band x does not release the album instead the only play it on concerts..... 

People will stop going to the concerts... 

But we will see, your Game your Call Bro!! 

Greetings 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conte D. Catellani said:

The event with Diana was cool only thing about De Ruyter was that you had to capture the ship. 

A permit is more easy to carry, whit a couple of friend we took one De Ruytera coo one, purple with nice woods, but we were ganked outside the battle. The guy who capped it went mad. Is in tribunal... Maybe with a permit we could escape more faster, if we want follow the rule to save time and have fun. 

I am just glad we can't get ganked on PvE server at such event.

Now if I get out of a battle with De Ruyter and imagine some guy attacks me and takes my prize away from me or even sinks it/us, now this would make me mad!

On the other side, let's not forget, the event has a double function on PvP server: it's also a bait to attract people who will become meatballs for some gourmets...

@admin mentioning it again since i haven't got an answer.

Wouldn't it be better to increase the drop chance of the most rarest ship permits from epic events so they have some hype again? As of now we farm pve to get the best modules and books and permits and it brings no reason to do an epic event again, because you get much better low risk high reward for doing combat missions where it doesent matter on the trip back if you sink or not.

It feels like the last dog in the dogshelter thats picked last because it has come out of favour for smaller pups and everything thats newer. This will breath a new life into those lonely swords hoovering the caribbean 😎

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

44 minutes ago, DickSmash said:

Essentially, they work very well and are enjoyable on PVE as capped ships because AI are extremely predictable and there is 0 risk fighting them, but it impossible to get such enjoyment on the PvP server because anyone in a built ship with half a brain can and will trash your boat.

You are right, we have - once again - to differ between our servers. A rolled dice De Ruyter on PvP is far less enjoyable than same on PvE server. I am aware of that.

But you are wrong when you think there is "zero risk fighting AI" here. I bet a number of those De Ruyters captured at event have sunk meanwhile because of... "extremely predictable zero risk AI"... ^^ (unfortunately I don't have statistic data to fundament this, but devs should have)

It's a myth NPC are no challenge. We pick the challenge. NPC can be lower rate and just one - okay, no risk - but also elite, higher rate or whole groups - hello kitty risk!

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

39 minutes ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

Wouldn't it be better to increase the drop chance of the most rarest ship permits from elite events so they have some hype again?

Indeed. I concur with elite events needing new love, by pepping them with something tasty no other source has to offer. :)

(I think you mean the "epic events" though)

6 minutes ago, DickSmash said:

Even saying "I pick the challenge" doesnt make it difficult, as you would never pick a challenge you stand little to no chance of winning. Why would you?

You have no idea how often that happens. People tend to overrate their skills (or equipment. "Oh I have a seasoned woods ship now, even purple, I am invincible now! Now I am going to smash elites!") and pick challenges over their head. Most of them will never tell you because it is embarassing for their winner egos. Yet I see on global when they rage at "NPC cheating" which mostly means they have been overwhelmed...

8 hours ago, admin said:

Interesting LOGIC

Pretty poor analogy.

Some people prefer concerns, some people prefer downloading it on Limewire and giving their computer AIDS.

Nobody prefers a grey de Ruyter with sailing 1 and mast and rig 3. But, enough people were excited about the small possibility of a decent one that tonnes of people showed up to try their chances.

Not because they were excited about the event. Don't get the cause and effect upside down.

They were excited about the ship.

Want to claw your way out of mixed reviews? Commit to spending a couple of years providing decent communication and quality content, which doesn't detract from gameplay by obsoleting content and isn't a clear cashgrab by being ludicrously overpowered. Add content, increase open sea speed, remove wind gusts, y'know, do obvious little things people will rejoice over.

Want to make money? Have a community that loves you and sell convenience and DLC's that sit in unique niches.

Edited by Christian Archer

8 hours ago, admin said:

In general  -

Not personal, but I am afraid Community is not always right.
The crowd is blind at most time.

90-9-1 rule : 90% user read - 9% post - and only 1% are helpful, which mean 90% of post are helpless.

80-20 rule : 20% good idea make 80% of profit. if Community idea is not a good idea, it just a time waste (like past 4 years, game mechanism was changed again and again and again! ) .
And individual should not be ignored, every single message also mean there are 20 more people have same idea behind. 

Community just like screening fleet, use number advantage to enforce the way to what they want.
Blindly fulfill Community want may give you a Immediate profit in short term, but in long term you may lose more.
I know it is hard, everyone need money to live, and  fulfill most people want can make more money.

In summary, the ability to identify helpful message is more important than most people think
And experience is very valuable assets indeed, it can increase you ability and reduce misjudgment.

just an advice by a Chinese forum moderator with 9 years experience.
Andy.

Edited by andy1357912
  • Like 3