Game-Labs Forum

Seasonal Update: Treacherous Waters - Preliminary information

admin

Did a test of the wind boost.

Built a T/WO Rattisvan. Left Aves. Found a 54% wind boost for 12min duration.

Came and sailed circles round aves at up to 40 knots lol.

A pirate frigate left port.

Still boosted, I chased him at nearly 40 knots. Directly behind him.

Tagged him and fired a couple of test chain shots at him.

I explained what I was doing and we parted ways.

This was no gust or trade wind.

It was a jet engine and took away all feelings of age of sail.

I hope this arcade style of play is removed.

It used to feel like a big map and a long sail to get somewhere. It had scope and depth. Places seemed a long way off. I liked that.

Edited by Bluetooth
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I seem to be the one that actually enjoys the faster travel times and finding people quicker. Shock, horror, Naval Action has more action.

Nope, i like the windboost a lot. Way more action, im being sunk more often and I get to fight more 😁

8 minutes ago, Bluetooth said:

Did a test of the wind boost.

Built a T/WO Rattisvan. Left Aves. Found a 54% wind boost for 12min duration.

Came and sailed circles round aves at up to 40 knots lol.

A pirate frigate left port.

Still boosted, I chased him at nearly 40 knots. Directly behind him.

Tagged him and fired a couple of test chain shots at him.

I explained what I was doing and we parted ways.

This was no gust or trade wind.

It was a jet engine and took away all feelings of age of sail.

I hope this arcade style of play is removed.

It used to feel like a big map and a long sail to get somewhere. It had scope and depth. Places seemed a long way off. I liked that.

Pirfrigate could've outturned (Rattvisans and bigger ships that are speedboosted have a turning circle of a frigging Truck) you easily and you would have had a shit tag, he would have been able to escape and your windboost is gone ;)

Edited by Je maintiendrai

16 hours ago, koltes said:

My follow up feedback based on yesterday play.

WINDS

Wind gasp is good to have, but it is a fantasy that two ships in one location and time have different wind speed. I will be fine with OW proposed weather system or trade winds. I will even be fine if specific areas just give speed boosts (quite a bit away from the shore) or they can be directional. But they have to be SAME for all ships in that given location. 
I sailed for 20 years. Wind gasps are not some point in the ocean where it suddenly blows. Its a continues wind channel and anyone entering that channel will experience A SERIES of wind gasps because wind in that channel is wild.

The way the wind mechanic was implemented is not a wind gasp, but more of a wind slingshot. And that is far from being realistic. 

OPEN WORLD

I sailed for 5 hours yesterday. I have been around KPR, I jumped to Tombado and sailed from there to Russian territory. I used my alt to sail from Rio Seco up to US. In overall I found about 95% less teaders. I dont know why. Or what was the reason behind it. But its a fact. Normally I would get 10+ easy averaging 3 per hour. Yesterday I got 2 for 5 hours sailing with server population been higher than usual. I will test more, but if this going to be continues business this tells me that there will be drastic reduction of trader targets in OW.

I’ll let you decide if this is a bad or a good thing

Great summary  @koltes +1

I agree, Wind Gusts WOULD be fine, if there WOULD be defined areas in OW where EVERYONE get a boost !!

At best only in a certain direction and when he leaves this specified area, the boost is gone...but i could live temporarily for all directions

...but the idea that, as you pointed out, 2 ships at the same spot at the same time, have different wind speeds is just ridiculous at heart and defies EVERY principle of this game being realistic :( 

Now, as we learnend, you have good relations to @admin, for the sake of us all and the welfare of NA, you should do your best to convince him about the completly wrong direction the game has taken with the Gusts are implimented now...good luck, Mate :) 

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

Now, as we learnend, you have good relations to @admin, for the sake of us all and the welfare of NA, you should do your best to convince him about the completly wrong direction the game has taken with the Gusts are implimented now...good luck, Mate :) 

I honestly don't know where you got this idea from mate. I'm just another player lol
I have no connection or ties to the dev team 

Edited by koltes

6 minutes ago, Je maintiendrai said:

Pirfrigate could've outturned (Rattvisans and bigger ships that are speedboosted have a turning circle of a frigging Truck) you easily and you would have had a shit tag, he would have been able to escape and your windboost is gone ;)

Yeah, I was in a Herc when I got chased by a wind boost Belle.  I defensive tagged him and we entered instance at distance.  Easily evaded him and exited.  Once out, I sailed away and he went and caught the boost.  Came at me again at 50 knots and this time I turned into him for 3 failed tags before he gave up and motored away.  It's manageable. 

• Like 2

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, I was in a Herc when I got chased by a wind boost Belle.  I defensive tagged him and we entered instance at distance.  Easily evaded him and exited.  Once out, I sailed away and he went and caught the boost.  Came at me again at 50 knots and this time I turned into him for 3 failed tags before he gave up and motored away.  It's manageable. 

Everyone just needs to find a way to deal with the speedboosts. In my opinion its a good addition.

@Sea Archer @Sir Max Magic @admin

Guys I do understand the logic, as I purposed much earlier like many players, even months ago, we all want WIND CURRENTS, where only the players in them have the speed, a preset road even with curves, when you get out you lose the speed. ( No problem with tagging, no to jetpack boosted sailing around)

But what we have is different, if I know the admin, it will not change into another thing than what we have... So I purpose at least you lose the speed bonus when you make a turn, easy and basic fix, will solve most problems, no need to change the current mechanic, little tweak. So you will be riding your preset gust, not sailing around with afterburner on.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

@koltes You can also ask him what happened to the promised change to the port BR that was planned for this update.

What the heck lol? What got into you all? Why all of a sudden I'm the messenger boy? What have I done?? 😏

These wind gusts get you around the map faster, and get people interacting on the map more quickly. They let you get where you wanna go with less ball ache if you are prepared to sit at the PC and go from gust to gust. They have some basis in reality but it is a game still of course.

You can use the gusts to close in quickly on enemy ships yes, but a lot of this Bellonas catching Snows stuff should not happen if you are paying attention. It doesn't matter how fast someone is in the open world, they still have to get a really good tag and/or be faster in the instance. If you just defensive tag and/or turn at the last second to get upwind, you will still be able to disengage (this is a skill that you should learn if you havn't already). The probability of something else happening is higher of course, a faster ship could join and catch you or a friendly Bellona can come in and you can turn on your attacker = more PvP.  I personally like the idea that just because you are in a fast ship you are not 100% safe from being tagged and this from a player who plays solo 90% of the time.

I don't understand why this has caused 'crushing the clan's morale', there have been far worse patches than this! (don't get me started). This is one of the better ones imo.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

@koltes You can also ask him what happened to the promised change to the port BR that was planned for this update.

Actually done. Have you not seem them? 

Remedios BR = 18000 ¡¡Boom!! Hard work isn't it? 

It seems like admin thinks that problems are solved with this... 

Edited by zaba

35 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@Sea Archer @Sir Max Magic @admin

Guys I do understand the logic, as I purposed much earlier like many players, even months ago, we all want WIND CURRENTS, where only the players in them have the speed, a preset road even with curves, when you get out you lose the speed. ( No problem with tagging, no to jetpack boosted sailing around)

But what we have is different, if I know the admin, it will not change into another thing than what we have... So I purpose at least you lose the speed bonus when you make a turn, easy and basic fix, will solve most problems, no need to change the current mechanic, little tweak. So you will be riding your preset gust, not sailing around with afterburner on.

Well, at least I tried to push @admin on the right course. If I hadn't done, I would always be asking myself, if it could have changed anything. 

I still disagree with a "click for wind" feature and hope that admin will have wisdom to understand that, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Je maintiendrai said:

Heres a tip for you, lower sails a bit and you turn faster. hope this helps. 🙄

Just now, Bluetooth said:

Heres a tip for you, lower sails a bit and you turn faster. hope this helps. 🙄

oh thanks mate, i didnt know this at all. You're the best!!!!

if the goal of the wind boost is to make travel more faster then it just need some fix, like dont allow people in wind boost to tag.

Maybe also increase the speed on atlantic to reach more faster kidd and bermuda ^^

a last question: is possible that when we are in wind zone we are fishing more faster? i catch 2 bottles in less than 24 hour

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

This is what I think all the people with knee-jerk reactions over aren't understanding... If you're paying attention, the wind boost can indeed allow you to catch and tag players you normally wouldn't be able to tag... But if that player is paying attention at all then the likelihood is that you'll evade and get away.. and if not, then chalk it up to a bad day... 

A potential exploit that I haven't been burned with yet will be speed boosted ships and the current ROE.  With ships travelling even faster in OW, they can join a battle from truly ridiculous distances....and with the ship's log....

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I guess I wouldn't call that an Exploit... I call that fixing one of the problems with declining player populations... as it gets harder and harder to find players and fights because they are fewer and further between, we need to "shrink" the map by allowing us to get to and reach battles that your group starts or which you discover.

I accept your point.  I used the word 'exploit' because I am saving up ship's logs and plan to exploit this.....ummm….useful tool?

• Like 1

I am curious about one thing, when you PvP'rs have won your little war against PvE'rs or carebears or w/e derogatory term you want to use and driven all of them from the server or made them all quit their wicked carebear ways... who do you suppose will build your bloody ships, or your consumables etc?  I see the same thing happening here that happened in EvE where the environment for indy players was made so toxic they started leaving in droves, and sudden drastic changes had to be enacted as even the PvP'rs realized maybe just maybe they actually needed those carebears afterall.  Because you all forget the one golden rule to open world sandbox pvp games.. you HAVE to have casuals... otherwise its just 100 cats in 1st rates sailing around trying to kill each other till they get bored... which they will, quickly.

Edited by ZWAJO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, z4ys said:

The thing about gusts is that they are to predictable which they shouldn't. Or shouldt they act as currents?

I dunno...winds are very predictable in the Caribbean...we just cant use the realistic winds as they would hurt the game.  I think we need to stop thinking of them as some sort of random gust of wind and realise that they are purposely placed 'speed boost' locations.  I also think that it is too early to react strongly to this as we have not really played it to its full potential.  I also think it is too early (yes @admin, i'm looking at you...) to lock it in as a done deal with no possible modification.

• Like 2