Game-Labs Forum

>>>Combat Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

On 10/19/2019 at 5:42 PM, Evil Commie said:

Any luck with WIP dreadnought?  There are 3 ways to land more hits with big guns.

1.) Get closer: But this negates your tech advantage and requires you spend more on Armour.

2.) Tech-up: use more fancy equipment to increase accuracy.

3.) Or bring more big guns to the battle. More shells flying means higher hit chance. 

I have tried everything I could.

What armor is more effective to increase because it doesn't really make that much a difference since the enemy keeps hitting me and destroying parts of my ship.

How do I increase my accuracy because I don't know how this works

I've used as many 14 inch guns as I can put on my ship and they can't hit for toffee.

Ether I'm really terrible at this game, the game play is flawed or that the nelson class pre-dreadnought was actually the most advanced and powerful battleship is the world and can easily defeat the HMS Dreadnought.

So noticeable change in combat so far. Played Sink a fleet twice, both times solid combat at rather long range. Positive that player now can see AI at long range also. Increased penetration very welcome, now mid range main caliber 13-15 are viable in that mission.

Secondary where still useless.

Played new Defeat a Semi-Dreadnought. Nice, challenging.

But ONE big issue still with AI accuracy. The numbers shown ingame do not match with what happens. I have an advantage of 30% vs 18% hit shown in the gun tab down left side, but AI BB hits 3 out of 4 shells on most salvos and i hit 1 shell in two salvos totaling 8 shells. Its hard to play that way and definitely feels like the AI is "cheating".

Edited by Agathos
  • Like 2

@Agathos I do not want to be picky about your wording. But I would not call the 13" 15" viable. They got slightly better yes, but not to the point where I would chose them for any other reason than flavor and challenge.

If they were just slightly less accurate than bigger caliber then I would consider dps and likelihood of hitting did. They would still suffer in term of penetration. It would be a choice at that point.

Same goes for even smaller caliber.

Edit: As for "secondary", by that I mean small gun on big ship. I am afraid that they will never be justifiable. The "all big gun" is a logical conclusion. The only reason why they sticked around was that they also were AA guns.

Edited by RedParadize
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, imeoin01 said:

I have tried everything I could.

What armor is more effective to increase because it doesn't really make that much a difference since the enemy keeps hitting me and destroying parts of my ship.

How do I increase my accuracy because I don't know how this works

I've used as many 14 inch guns as I can put on my ship and they can't hit for toffee.

Ether I'm really terrible at this game, the game play is flawed or that the nelson class pre-dreadnought was actually the most advanced and powerful battleship is the world and can easily defeat the HMS Dreadnought.

Can you show us in an image your ship design?

1 hour ago, Asthaven said:

Small caliber guns still have blind gunners. 

screen_1920x1080_2019-10-25_21-25-40.thumb.png.7c5d6c52e42d6ea378308c3cb70869c7.pngscreen_1920x1080_2019-10-25_21-27-26.thumb.png.14976b694e85c1c3be85c41e74256099.png

16% Hit chance, that's how much I got while being 200m away from enemy ship. Not to mention that enemy was nearly stationary and so did Helena.

screen_1920x1080_2019-10-25_21-26-04.thumb.png.0d8ce695deea1b52a80446bbd3b8b510.png

During 5 minutes, Battleship that was 4 km away managed to score more hits from main battery than these two cruisers all together

Do you use the rudder button to hard turn your ships?

@Nick Thomadis I can't post image anymore, I reached the upload limit. But at 1.7km 6" gun get 6.1% chance to hit on a turning DD. 8% for the 5". If it was not for the AI autopilot disengaging as soon as its engine got crit that DD could have got right next to my 5xCA formation that is shooting him. If it stay like this then there wont be much point in building CL in the campaign.

Edited by RedParadize

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

@Agathos I do not want to be picky about your wording. But I would not call the 13" 15" viable. They got slightly better yes, but not to the point where I would chose them for any other reason than flavor and challenge.

If they were just slightly less accurate than bigger caliber then I would consider dps and likelihood of hitting did. They would still suffer in term of penetration. It would be a choice at that point.

Same goes for even smaller caliber.

Edit: As for "secondary", by that I mean small gun on big ship. I am afraid that they will never be justifiable. The "all big gun" is a logical conclusion. The only reason why they sticked around was that they also were AA guns.

I don't know if you noticed that there was a decrease in vertical penetration from plunging fire. Cause of this i was now able to build a 15" ship that was safe in vertical armor against anything. The difference in horizontal penetration is acceptable. Now compared to the situation before, i have no longer to move in to ridicolous close distance. As i said, felt viable now in the games i played.

Secondary for me is also small guns on big ships. I disagree on your judgement that they where only kept for AA purposes. Secondaries had there task to deal with threats the main battery shells where though to be a waste i.e. DD, torpedo boats. But against those ingame secondary is still useless, best way is still aim with main, wait for that 1 blow and go back to another target.

@RedParadize You can upload multiple images by uploading them to imgur.com (at least this is what I use). And then after that, right click on the images that you have uploaded and click view image. It will take you to the source link of the image. Simply copy the address (it should end with imgur.com/(random_thingy_magicy).png) and then upload it here using upload image through link. You will have to "view image --> copy link --> paste it here" for each image you upload even if you have uploaded 3 images on imgur at the same time.

5 minutes ago, imeoin01 said:

image.thumb.png.019cb09a93ab5c8d15f69203fd990705.png

It appears you have a problem with funnel capacity. The ship is going to suffer greatly in maneuverability and as it is slow and sluggish, it becomes easy target. You can reduce the top speed (21knots) and add more funnels. Additionally, you might try a design with more guns of 12-inch caliber. Also pay attention to the shell type and explosives, as those matter a lot for the firepower of your ship depending on engagement distance.

@Agathos About deck pen. Fight now happen further away in many of these scenarios. Before, for "destroy a full fleet" I was going for 4.5" deck armor, because that was the deck pen of the 18" at the then combat range of 10km. Now, with radar, I usually fight much more far away. In the new scenario up to 22km. Gonna need much thicker deck armor if you want to cover the big caliber.

As for the use of the secondary battery. The theory of "all big gun" was to get rid of them entirely on BB's. It make sense to place anti DD and torpedo boats role entirely on CA/CL/DD. If these ship get in range of BB's secondary guns then they already are in torpedo range. If one managed to sneak in then the best course of action is to dodge turn and use the main to fire at it. Of course it never happened entirely, mainly because of the conservative nature of the navy.

Most case scenario its what I will end up doing in campaign.

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Do you use the rudder button to hard turn your ships?

Sometimes, and only when i need to turn very hard. In most cases I just use RMB to set desired course. It still doesn't change the fact that guns of 8" and less have unacceptable accuracy, especially at low ranges, speeds and even without maneuvering. 

2 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

It appears you have a problem with funnel capacity. The ship is going to suffer greatly in maneuverability

Funnels seems to only be effecting "Acceleration" and doesn't seem to change any others stats...

Q1a.thumb.jpg.85e7a0fff1842362d72d6f7608d9cf1d.jpg

two funnels...

Q2a.thumb.jpg.bb5f70ea14129113e4cda61e0a2231b6.jpg

What does or should "Engine Efficiency" effect?

Why doesn't funnels effect "Engine Power" ? if the engine efficiency is half then shouldn't capacity of the engine power be half too, and also effecting the speed. Or is there a hidden stat of actual engine power?

Edited by Skeksis

8 hours ago, RedParadize said:

@AgathosGonna need much thicker deck armor if you want to cover the big caliber.

Actually not. If you check the vertical penetration for the guns it has decreased slighty over all ranges. As i only checked in "Destroy a fleet" where player no longer hast access to 18" the 17" with super heavy shells has 7.6" pen at 25km so with 4.5" deck armor and Krupp I you will be safe against 17" and you won't need much more to guard against 18". I was suprised to see that ingame, cause i though there would a penetration buff across the board, but that only happened to horizontal pen as is seems. :)

Right now it's easier to fight a battleship than a DD - the main guns will do their job hitting bigger vessels, while secondarys won't hit a barn. Or will the accuracy of smaller guns, especially casemate mounted ones, mainly depend on the skils of the crew? So bloody beginners will have terrible aiming whilst able gunners do better.

9 hours ago, imeoin01 said:

You ship go at flank speed. Which means that she fires with accuracy penalty. Reduce speed to “full” to fire more accurately. 

Second. At the moment, secondary guns are useless, it is a waste of money and tonnage.

Thirdly. As Nick correctly noted, one funnel is a bad idea.  Not only because slowly accelerates, but also because as soon alone funnel was destroyed, ship start turns into a sitting duck.

P.S. How do you make a screenshot with interface? For some reason, my screenshots without them :-/

2 hours ago, TAKTCOM said:

You ship go at flank speed. Which means that she fires with accuracy penalty. Reduce speed to “full” to fire more accurately. 

Second. At the moment, secondary guns are useless, it is a waste of money and tonnage.

Thirdly. As Nick correctly noted, one funnel is a bad idea.  Not only because slowly accelerates, but also because as soon alone funnel was destroyed, ship start turns into a sitting duck.

P.S. How do you make a screenshot with interface? For some reason, my screenshots without them 😕

PrtScrn button and paste it to Paint or use external software.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eblingus said:

+1

Just bought the game, and must say, am quite disappointed. This page https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/post/deep-battle-system claims thirteen times that the game uses "realistic" mechanics, but the game is even less realistic than world of warships. What is the benchmark the developers are using, Pokemon?  All guns in this game have pathetically short effective range due to unrealistic inaccuracy. I had hopes of recreating great dreadnought battles, but instead am forced to slug it out at a few thousand meters.  Lame :(

I have no problem hitting targets 20 km away, most likely senario is a lack of competence on your part.

8 hours ago, Eblingus said:

+1

Just bought the game, and must say, am quite disappointed. This page https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/post/deep-battle-system claims thirteen times that the game uses "realistic" mechanics, but the game is even less realistic than world of warships. What is the benchmark the developers are using, Pokemon?  All guns in this game have pathetically short effective range due to unrealistic inaccuracy. I had hopes of recreating great dreadnought battles, but instead am forced to slug it out at a few thousand meters.  Lame :(

Which mission are you doing im the newer one i was fighting  at 17 to 18 k and landing hits

Fight at cruising speed (Full). On the left you can see what affects your accuracy. When you're at cruising speed you should see a value for "Own Cruise Speed" at about 19-21%. This is in many cases better than the bonus you get from high tech towers! ICruise speed is typically 75% of full speed, so if your max speed is 30 knots your optimal targeting speed is 22.5 knots.

9 hours ago, Eblingus said:

+1

Almost like its an closed alpha or something.

Maybe you should make your own version and see how you get on with that?

Either way providing feedback since your a tester is far, far better than just whinging which doesn't help either party reagrdless.

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 4