Game-Labs Forum

Work in progress - UItimate Admiral: Age of Sail

sterner

1 hour ago, avensis said:

What is the release date.
I see they have used a lot of resources from their naval action game (GameLabs), which is a good thing. I can not wait to play this game.

"This year" is the what has been announced for a date so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Question. How much is wind going to be involved in the game? While it can be frustrating to try to fight a battle in becalmed seas it is realistic and therefore necessary. The drive wherever you want arcade nonsense like in Assassin’s Creed can absolutely ruin a seafaring game. I hope they do not go that route.

• Like 1

Guest questions

I am very excited for this game!

Quick questions for the developers:

- I see we can group ships, but can we order naval formations, line line of ships or file of ships?

- For ground combat, are you keeping the brigade level, or will we have battalion level this time?

- on the same level as my first question, will we be able to choose brigade (or divisional) formations on the ground battles?

Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, Guest questions said:

I am very excited for this game!

Quick questions for the developers:

- I see we can group ships, but can we order naval formations, line line of ships or file of ships?

- For ground combat, are you keeping the brigade level, or will we have battalion level this time?

- on the same level as my first question, will we be able to choose brigade (or divisional) formations on the ground battles?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks.

1. Yes

2. There won't be clear brigade or battalion. Marines or sailors from the same ship will form a group, land troops will follow their order of battle. You can always dynamically reform and organize your own order of battle.

3. Yes, you will be able to select "a group" and to give an order for the group.

• Like 2

Nice!

Just two questions:

1. What about wind? Will it be modeled in some sort of way?

2. Singleplayer for campaign I guess, but could there be multiplayer for some single battles, are you thinking about it? ? Just 1v1? Please!

Thanks!

Edited by Archer11

Hi, new here. Wanted to start off by saying I loved Ultimate General: Civil War. One of my favorite games in recent times. It was like you guys brought the old hand drawn battle maps from the American Heritage History of the Civil War to life. So great.

So now I'm thinking the next game will probably be a treatment of the Napoleonic Wars(personally, I was hoping for a game that would cover European wars from 1859-1871, but honestly Napoleon is just fine). Then, I stumble on this...Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail. Was not expecting that, but boy this is great !! I cannot wait !

But then, it gets even better. Today, I go to check on AoS and see UA: Age of Dreadnoughts....I'm dreaming right, I mean, no way...but yes way ! I love you guys, this is too awesome. A dream come true...just like UG:CW. All I can say is Thank you x a million !! Ya'll are the BEST !

Now, two questions:

First: Will you be doing anymore UG games in the future ? If so, any chance one of them might cover European conflicts from 1859-1871 ?

Second: Could a future UA game cover the Ironclad era 1850-90 or be an ACW naval game that included battles on rivers and in harbors ?

Thanks, looking forward to your reply. Keep up the good work !! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, michaelsmithern said:

Enjoyed the British Campaign teaser. 

I'll leave it to the Developers to post the video themselves, don't wanna steal their thunder after all. But you can find it on youtube.

An interesting link I haven't seen on these Forums yet 😉

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069650/Ultimate_Admiral_Age_of_Sail/

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

Interesting, finally a modern version of "Age of Sail II" and as bonus it comes with a stronger campaign mode and land actions.

Here i need admit that my interest is in the naval part, i really look for a title that combine historical battles and skirmish like AOSII did and expand the ship options to not only include historical ships... the ability to create custom ships (for example you can have more than 1 Santisima Trinidad type in battle) like in AOSII.

Other point is multiplayer... i admit i dont play a lot multiplayer but now i have more options to play on-line and one with more than 1 player perside is attractive, even cooperative VS AI.

In the content part... is strange a game focused in revolutionary-napoleonic period but without France and Spain campaigns to be fair war of independece succes in sea was thanks to these 2 nations the only naval power in the American side... at least title could be expanded to include more nations-campaigns (i really liked the Rusia campaign in AOSII VS  Ottomans) but maybe over expand title nation by nation... i see better do it based in periods, instead have a new nation you can have X period with the different actors and instead a campaign focused in 1 nation you can have same campaign with different nation options, maybe this is what i dislike in the game now, you cant play the French-Spanish naval war in the independence war, you only can play as british and this is a little 😐 same if game move to napoleonic period and you only play with one nation.

Anyway my interest is more in the naval battle part, if offer the historical - skirmish battles option + editors (battles+ships) i think is enough for me.

A little question-suggestion... is possible change the unit icon and instead use the blue-red use national flags??? i think in battles with more than 2 nations involved... well is possible use green colour for allies and orange for enemy allies but i think is good use a less standar icon.

Good job and waiting know more about the game.

• Like 2

Fun fact : The 13 nationalities of the crew of USS Bonhomme Richard (former French Duc de Duras) commanded by John Paul Jones during the Battle of Flamborough Head, 1779 (American War of Independence) :

• French : 159 crew members
  • American : 68
  • English : 57
  • Portuguese : 27
  • Irish : 19
  • Swedish : 6
  • Scottish : 5
  • Norwegian : 3
  • Swiss : 2
  • India : 2
  • "African" : 1
  • Bengali : 1 
  • Neapolitan : 1
  • unknown nationality : 19

Sources

The crew of the Bonhomme Richard was hired at Lorient (France) where the crew lists can still be read :

(original documents of 1780 also available on the website)

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 3