Game-Labs Forum

Work in progress - UItimate Admiral: Age of Sail

sterner

23 hours ago, ManuelSpain said:

before introducing mods it is necessary to introduce to Spain and France playable I think

That makes no sense

If modding is possible in this game then the developers already know. It will have absolutely no impact on whether France and/or Spain will be playable. I'm not requesting a feature so don't worry about me blocking your spanish dreams :D, with modding available you may even be able to add Spain to the game yourself.

A game such as Naval Action is moddable, but your options are limited due to most of the data being stored on the server.. seeing as this is a Single Player game, there is no reason not to open the files to the public.

It's basically a yes/no question. :)

Edited by Percival Merewether

I wouldn't say it's "NECESSARY" to add Spain and France. While i do agree they should be a fundamental addition to the game in some forms, such as America receiving aid via the two european powers, and possible regiments to help. Now since the game from what i can see spans from Pre-Revolution to Napoleonic Wars, I again think France should be an integral part of that. 

On the subject i'd rather a Napoleonic Game for a focus on more France and Spain vs Coaltion forces. This game I want more time focus on Britain and America.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

That makes no sense

If modding is possible in this game then the developers already know. It will have absolutely no impact on whether France and/or Spain will be playable. I'm not requesting a feature so don't worry about me blocking your spanish dreams :D, with modding available you may even be able to add Spain to the game yourself.

A game such as Naval Action is moddable, but your options are limited due to most of the data being stored on the server.. seeing as this is a Single Player game, there is no reason not to open the files to the public.

Well, this is just speculation so dont take this as official word. But considering how modable unity games are in general unless specifically made with moding in mind(like KSP) this is not gonna be that modable. also judging by the previous ultimate general games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OlavDeng2 said:

Well, this is just speculation so dont take this as official word. But considering how modable unity games are in general unless specifically made with moding in mind(like KSP) this is not gonna be that modable. also judging by the previous ultimate general games.

+ knowing the fact that dev priority is two very structured campaigns (US, UK). 

26 minutes ago, OlavDeng2 said:

It depends a bit on what you are looking for in a mod. New battles, factions, etc almost certainly not unless support is built in. However, it is possible to mod weapon/campaign/perk balance changes, UI improvements, some new features, and changes to AI logic. Several mods are now available for UGCW and while none have been released for UGG the same process would work for that game.

Hopefully this game does well enough that they are able to support modding more officially though.

I love all the games and really excited for this one because naval history and naval combat in this ear and in the dreadnought ear are my all time favorite as well as my friends and I want to just know if it will have multiplayer so we can play with each other. Thanks, and I can't wait for this game. 

new dev diary about land units was released!

https://www.aos.ultimateadmiral.com/post/land-units

and the new 3d models are amazing btw, simple and yet beautiful. 

also if you see the video where the unit charges you can see that the units contact with each other during hand the hand combat has been greatly improved from the last time.

Edited by AegorBlackfyre

looks nice, but formations are way too open.. in 18.century Infantry was supposed to be shoulder to shoulder to maximize firepower for minimal frontage. Also, 3 ranks were typical for Line infantry in close order(British calling it "German Doctrine"). British "American doctrine", which was adopted during American War for Independence called for 2 rank formation, but usually with Light Infantry. Yet British used both German and American doctrines were used together, with British troops during Napoleonic wars.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JaM said:

looks nice, but formations are way too open.. in 18.century Infantry was supposed to be shoulder to shoulder to maximize firepower for minimal frontage. Also, 3 ranks were typical for Line infantry in close order(British calling it "German Doctrine"). British "American doctrine", which was adopted during American War for Independence called for 2 rank formation, but usually with Light Infantry. Yet British used both German and American doctrines were used together, with British troops during Napoleonic wars.

While the skirmishers are too close together. Having skirmishers as a separate unit type does also raise doctrinal issues given the changes during the time span of the game. Plus you have light infantry acting as skirmishers like jaegers and later you have skirmishers drawn from the light companies of line regiments. (For that you could have a button to detach them like UGCW).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what this screenshot really means but the ratings given on these ships kind of scares me a bit I'd assume the numbers next to their name are something like a ship rating, which I'm shocked to see how certain ships are so highly rated, especially essex, constitution and requin.

70bb0df0938c2130fc0fd6c9909a18c8-jpg.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

Not sure what this screenshot really means but the ratings given on these ships kind of scares me a bit I'd assume the numbers next to their name are something like a ship rating, which I'm shocked to see how certain ships are so highly rated, especially essex, constitution and requin.

Surprising rates, indeed ! Le Cerf a 5th-rate or La Créole a 4th-rate ? No...

(Not to mention the Mercury as a 5th-rate.)

btw, it must be La Sirène, not Le Sirene.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

btw the French Navy sold Le Requin in 1770 (and her sistership in 1761).

And there weren't any French-made xebec in the French Navy anymore from 1779 on (all replaced by standard Corvettes).

However, during the Revolution and the Empire, a few foreign xebecs were captured and used by the French Navy. And some French privateers kept on sailing ones.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:32 AM, LeBoiteux said:

Fun fact : The 13 nationalities of the crew of USS Bonhomme Richard (former French Duc de Duras) commanded by John Paul Jones during the Battle of Flamborough Head, 1779 (American War of Independence) :

• French : 159 crew members
  • American : 68
  • English : 57
  • Portuguese : 27
  • Irish : 19
  • Swedish : 6
  • Scottish : 5
  • Norwegian : 3
  • Swiss : 2
  • India : 2
  • "African" : 1
  • Bengali : 1 
  • Neapolitan : 1
  • unknown nationality : 19

Sources

The crew of the Bonhomme Richard was hired at Lorient (France) where the crew lists can still be read :

(original documents of 1780 also available on the website)

Maltese too , Members of the Knights of Malta and a considerable number of Maltese Sailors who had years of experience as Mediterranean Corsairs enlisted in the French Navy  and were present in several naval battles for the American Indipendence , among those the Battle of the Chesapeake were the French Navy defeated the British , a battle that was pivital. The involvment of the Maltese was important  to the extent that after the indipendence Benjamin Franklin  sent a letter to the Grand Master of the Order of Malta Emmanuel De Rohan to thank him for the role of the 1,800 Maltese and Knights of Malta .  The Grand Master of the order also granted permission for American Ships to dock in Malta s Grand Harbour  from that very day onwards , It was the start of diplomatic relationships between USA and Malta that still goes on today. The original response letter  from Grand Master de Rohan to Franklin still exists and is located at the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2011-07-03/news/the-knights-of-maltas-pivotal-role-in-the-american-revolutionary-war-295053

https://books.google.com.mt/books?id=PDA8DgAAQBAJ&pg=PT35&lpg=PT35&dq=Bonhomme+Richard+knights+of+malta&source=bl&ots=zGupmT_Hc8&sig=ACfU3U3w4_cShFUi9iiseLtfuMYRXfRdEg&hl=mt&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiyuLLsm7jjAhUBsaQKHVW7Aw4Q6AEwGXoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Bonhomme Richard knights of malta&f=false

smom-gm.gif.8f00f0f4157928649a74ea326a3fe94e.gif

Edited by Seawolf7
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:20 AM, Seawolf7 said:

Maltese too , Members of the Knights of Malta and a considerable number of Maltese Sailors who had years of experience as Mediterranean Corsairs enlisted in the French Navy  and were present in several naval battles for the American Indipendence , among those the Battle of the Chesapeake were the French Navy defeated the British , a battle that was pivital. The involvment of the Maltese was important  to the extent that after the indipendence Benjamin Franklin  sent a letter to the Grand Master of the Order of Malta Emmanuel De Rohan to thank him for the role of the 1,800 Maltese and Knights of Malta .  The Grand Master of the order also granted permission for American Ships to dock in Malta s Grand Harbour  from that very day onwards , It was the start of diplomatic relationships between USA and Malta that still goes on today. The original response letter  from Grand Master de Rohan to Franklin still exists and is located at the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia.

You forgot that the famous French admiral Pierre Andre de Suffren who fought during that war in Indian Ocean (and aslo in American waters and Atlantic) was actually Maltese knight

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a quick question, after much trouble with purchasing the game, I finally got it. I am working on getting dreathnoughs later. But the other day I saw kind of an update progress bar after I click on the game icon. Has there been any kind of update or HOTFIX?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 8:51 AM, Percival Merewether said:

That makes no sense

The short answer is 'yes'. If you possess the skill to mod a game, there is very little anyone can do to stop you. It is their game and their choice. 

But considering that DarthMod is a valuable member of this gaming concern, I assure you the devs respect the skill that goes into making a quality mod that others might want to play. And if you make a mod so outstanding it drives people to buy their base game to play your mod on top of it, more power to you. 

I've seen the quality these guys put out; it's hard to beat them, but you are more than welcome to try. 

• 2 weeks later...

So when is the expected release date? Steam page still says TBA 2019, but it's middle of November already so that no longer seems realistic to me. Was there some other date/timeframe provided by the devs that I missed? 

Looking forward to this very much, but I've decided to skip early access. I'm already doing that for Dreadnoughts, one is enough for now