Game-Labs Forum

Patch 29. Sextant, shallow water changes, improvements in the User interface.

admin

8 minutes ago, Bartholomew.E.Dogg said:

The dilemma in game is that whilst in the real world captains of the time could fix their position,  they could not then instantly communicate that position to others.....

With the perk, you'll be able to communicate a distance and a position (NE...) from a city or a given point (the end of an island...). That's nice.

9 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@rediii we are not recruiting marines for our navy. They are players who wants to enjoy the game. When time comes, they reset the perk and use it for another important thing. 

I still find the in game sextant to be absurd as it gives very accurate position, and also after removal of traders tool very difficult to fix positions without sextant. I am not talking about straight trips, imagine you had multiple pvp fights over and over. Or you want a complex trading route.

As I purposed before sextant should give a big circle, your ship anywhere inside that circle, sextant should be a natural perk as for our time period, I guess most captains were using it.

1) Seeing a port improves the accuracy and circle is much smaller

2) Seeing land improves accuracy and cicle is mediorce

3) Ow with no land and port, circle is bigger, gets to maximum when ow for a long time, but still gives a may be 30x30 km accuracy. 

So we assume when your officers see the land they recognize the position using profile maps, seeing a port is also. What was the accuracy of sextant in given ages ? Without seeing land ?

Doesn't if feel more natural in the way I describe...

problem again.. Sextant is accurate up to 200m :P the only possible solution i think of is that it gets inaccurate in storm and foggy weather. :)

Oh gods...
The instrument of navigation in a game about a sailing century has to be anyway. It is not an element of history, it is an element of convenience of a game.
I very much remember as early testers went by the seas without sea chart in general. We were as blind kittens. Google maps were our main assistant. It was terribly inconvenient. Were many times lost in the high sea right at the beginning. Sometimes it was interesting and fascinating, a Terra incognito. But, it was very much inconvenient.
Let a game will become more convenient for the player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

@rediiisorry I misunderstood you.

What I am talking is 5-10 minutes of work, I guess. Should not be a big deal for developers. 

I love your suggestion. i.e a non perk based gps marker that gets more precise the more information is available. It's well thought out

That said how do you know this isn't a big deal for the devs? How do you know that this is a 5-10 minute task?

Unless you have access to their Jira board, have an inkling of their estimates vs deliverables and their burn down historically how can anyone claim this is 5-10min with certainty

We have something quick and easy that folks can choose to use or not. We didn't have this before, we do now. I won't use it but others might. Surely it's that simple?

I would make sure your suggestion is logged under suggestions so that it can be considered for a future release

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Point is I think a sextant is kind of a common thing at this time. Why is it a perk? You'd be better off making things interesting, making tracking a skill and at level 1 you suck and when you track your position 100kms off.

Then you get better and you can track yourself within say 20km every RL hour or so. Good balance, easy improvement wouldn't you say? I mean a perk, really? pft.

It does feel a bit like making the spyglass a perk.

Just now, Capn Rocko said:

Some perks shouldn't be perks...

Yes, we should all have all of them automatically and access to all Books and Modules in the Admiralty shop. No more Animal Farm parody then. That's the way to go then we go full, no half measures.

• Like 2

Just now, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Yes, we should all have all of them automatically and access to all Books and Modules in the Admiralty shop. No more Animal Farm parody then. That's the way to go then we go full, no half measures.

Um.....yes. A skill tree is all this game needs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

This game is not Career based. Every player is a "Navy".

IMHO, there's one carrer in NA : being a privateer, ie making money from sinking/capturing ships that are enemies of your nation, buying ships, selling captured goods, recruiting crew...

(+ crafter + trader)

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

Just now, LeBoiteux said:

IMHO, there's one carrer in NA : being a privateer, ie making money from sinking/capturing ships that are enemies of your nation, buying ships, selling captured goods, recruiting crew...

(+ crafter + trader)

Yes. No skill trees.

6 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

that's true and also sounds kind of like a problem that needs to be solved.

On the contrary, NA 1 must stay focused on what it does best : the combat.

I'd be in a favor of an officer career, but it has nothing to do with skills or tree. It'd be just another way to allocate ships and missions. More a matter of RP and the challenge of using assigned ships.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

He has a perk, 200xp away. 1 battle. Let's move on.

A perk point he prob use for something else if he doen't know about that option.  Last I checked they had maps, chats and means to get Long and Lat back than so why do we not have these simple things in game.  Yes he can use 2 perk points to get GPS, but every one should have map with grids on it and a means to chart, and find there cords.  It's not 100% (cause I suck at reading lag/long as do others) but it's something every one should have.  You don't want them than don't FREAKING USE THEM.....it's that simple.

6 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

Some perks shouldn't be perks...

Just like double ball and shot should be like chain.  Every one should have them auto ever battle and they should be limited and not a perk.  The perk system really needs to be revamped and the crafting perks should be tied to crafting not your combat rank.  Maybe do a tier thing that you get certain perks at certain levels as you level up.  Than they could have slots where you pick certain perks.   Lets say give the ammo ones free, but you have 5 slots and you pick certian other things for your char.   

For crafting the Light ship master should be given to you when you hit rank to craft the next tier ships.  So when you can craft frigates you get light ship master, when you can craft SOL you get Frigate ship master.  When you reach level 50 you should get Royal Shipbuilder.   Lets make the ranks mean something instead of just a number type of thing.  Remember back when every one wanted to be level 50 crafter so they can make MC mods and ships....now it means pretty much nothing.

6 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Dude your starting to be a prick, just cause it's not your game style doesn't mean it's not for every one   else.  Not every one and in fact the majority of the players do not want to play your hard style life, they want to enjoy a game and have fun too.   I remember spending most my time lost and hating this game at the start. I would only log in to check new patches out cause 9 times out of 10 I was killed in my basic cutter before I got to my missions by pricks that think this game should be hard core or the 10th time I was so lost I had no clue where I was I either had to sail west or use the tow to port option.   If I was just some normal player and not think of this as a game in development I would of just raged quite and never looked back.   We have a terrible retention rate of new players and we need to fix that.  That is why we are sitting on what 100-300 players on average right now in game.  If you want an empty game than just keep on that mind set and you will have an empty game.

• Like 7

I find PVE dubloon rewards, and wood drops to be great. So casual healthy population will be maintained somehow.

I would like more dubloons from pvp battle results, but only pvp guys may need a bit more rewards because it is not easy out of patrol zone, time consuming, high risk.

Now PVP became the part of the game where you do it for fun, excitiment, may be to get into that PVP leaderboard. Causal players can reach dubloons / woods etc., so the general upgrade/wood difference will be less. Causals will not feel being disadvantage, now the difference should be the experience and skill (I disregard new stupid musket mods etc.)

@Sir Texas Sir very good points btw.

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Dude your starting to be a prick,

Nothing new. When my opinion conflicts, harshly, with yours, that's what I am.

But did you even read what I wrote on that line ? Everyone, no exception, by grinding or by fighting or whatever to have access to all books and equipment provided they have the gold to exchange for it in the admiralty. Of course things can still drop - no pay needed.

I have no idea where that would ever be prejudicial to a new guy.

But hey, i'm prick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Nothing new. When my opinion conflicts, harshly, with yours, that's what I am.

But did you even read what I wrote on that line ? Everyone, no exception, by grinding or by fighting or whatever to have access to all books and equipment provided they have the gold to exchange for it in the admiralty. Of course things can still drop - no pay needed.

I have no idea where that would ever be prejudicial to a new guy.

But hey, i'm prick.

It has nothing about my views or yours.  It’s what best for the game and the majority of the players.   I thing wrong with how /you/ play the game or how I play as that is the greatness of the open sandbox world.

i called you that cause look at the last page and all your short one sentence post.  If it’s not your way of play style you tend to post a certain way against it.  Thinking about mainly only yourself and not the game as a whole.

having grids and cords and making the game easier over all does not effect your play style.  If we can make the game easier for the majority they stick around and we have more players to play and fight with.  No one is saying give every one the easy button.  Keep the FPS a perk for those that want it but give every one else the resources they should have as naval captains during this game period.  Charts/maps and means to find lat long cords on the map.

PS I’m an asshole so nothing wrong with being a prick too. ;)

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Keep the FPS a perk for those that want it but give every one else the resources they should have as naval captains during this game period.  Charts/maps and means to find lat long cords on the map.

I think this is a better idea than removing F11.

"Give everyone a GPS dot (as a perk) but allow others to have grid Co-ords (as a number)."

Removing F-11 just so no-one can see their position as a grid reference number seems mean spirited ... if there is a GPS dot on the map.  

If our position is always shown as a dot on the map, then allowing players access to the grid reference number does not hurt anyone.

Edited by Macjimm

4 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

And even the cords don’t have to be accurate.  As long as we can look at the map and figure the general area we are in.

Regarding the GPS thing, tons of ideas have been suggested - some were spectacular and very "captain's cabin" like around charts with drawing and making own waypoints.

Others referred to relative position to show the quadrant where the player would be ( 20k units square ) as this would make use of the grid map.

But the game design is GameLabs only. We just participate with our ideas and no need to stay up clawing and hissing when they don't.

I know I don't and do accept the bloody thing as a given. All I wanted forever was the removal of the F11 debug coordinates. And that's it. I'm happy when they are removed.

• Like 1