Game-Labs Forum

Visible crew display

I would like to see more crew as well, even if they're very low polygon models.  I also want to see them go down when crew get killed, and more importantly I want to see them jump overboard when the ship sinks as a visual indicator that the ship in question is truly done for.

I would really like to see which of my guns have been knocked out (for now they could just remove the gun model from the ship), some crew going aloft when I focus on sailing and more visible damage on enemy ships would be nice too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know, I know. It's been broached so many times before. But I really am wondering whether 

there are plans to somehow increase the number of crew perhaps as one giant sprite. There must be strategies in place to 

curb the polygon and performance drain that more crew have on this game.

I was simply gob smacked by these pictures of a model where the ship looks very alive due to the crew. A real living thing now and could not help posting it for comparison.

16405851785_4e6a64d2d7_o.jpg

16405851435_a2d5f178d0_o.jpg

16219622019_c51ebb549e_o.jpg

16218213878_c610533c95_o.jpg

I somehow doubt we will see that level of detail just due to performance issues and the modeling / animation needed but who knows.

That said I do expect better crew representation than 6 guys doing a repetitive animation.

I would like, in an ideal world, a few marines on bigger ships, a few more gun loaders on visible decks and a few 'sailors' manning rigging, maybe 50 models per 1st / 2nd / 3rd rate and then 40/30/20 etc for smaller ships. Maybe an officer or 2 near the helm?

• Like 1

I somehow doubt we will see that level of detail just due to performance issues and the modeling / animation needed but who knows.

That said I do expect better crew representation than 6 guys doing a repetitive animation.

I would like, in an ideal world, a few marines on bigger ships, a few more gun loaders on visible decks and a few 'sailors' manning rigging, maybe 50 models per 1st / 2nd / 3rd rate and then 40/30/20 etc for smaller ships. Maybe an officer or 2 near the helm?

This seems pretty good. Maybe also add an option in the graphics menu saying: 'Show enhanced crew' or something. If ticked, we see what you proposed, if not, a less intensive/ detailed/ large crew will be displayed.

One thing I did notice is that if these models are anything to go by Game Labs seem to have the crew much larger than they should be. Could cutting size in half increase performance?

That would risk ships being crewed by umpa lumpas. I can't visualize the crew as they are right now without playing, but my guess is that if the current models are too large, they will be made smaller eventually. Smaller models will positively impact performance, but more of them and/or more detailed animations will nullify this.

Gorgeous pictures, btw

It would be nice to have more men on the decks, though it is largely just an eye candy issue.  It would then open up arguments over uniforms and nationalities as well as death animations and all.  It's certainly something that can wait in development, but also something nice to have later.

I would also agree that there should be something that would limit the visibility of the crews for people that wish to see them or not, as having those extra animations will slow some computers down significantly.  You could use a sprite ratio, like one man that you see on the ship is equal to 5 and so forth. 

Those models are incredible!  Where are they located?

It would be nice to have more animated crew, although I do understand the demands created by that.  Still, for me at least, the ability to "walk" the deck and see life-like action would be fantastic.  I'd probably do very little else!

Didn't they say that this was in the game, along with better cannon animations at some point but it was too process intensive? ...I'm sure I've read that here.

It would look cool and it's plausible on the merchant ships and smaller vessels as some of them were relatively lightly crewed <50 but the Man-o-wars with 400+ ...I doubt they'll ever get anywhere near filling their decks unfortunately. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a lot of good ideas provided here and i am sure that the Dev team will translate them if possible but it will be a first things first thing. The most important thing for me would be to have the scale made visible.

Cannon crews could go up to 16 for 42pounders btw (if I´m not mistaken) although these cannons were located in the lower decks due to balance issues.

I just upgraded my PC due to NA and thus ready for some nasty stuff to come...   ;-)

I think the thing that really makes the ships come alive is the marines firing and just being on the deck, they have very bright colours etc. if you look at the pictures above its just so vibrant and alive because of that.  So i would suggest at the very least some marines and maybe 2 people manning the guns. As for the tax on fps they should just make it an option or a slider as mentioned above. 

more options is better, why should everyone miss out because a few carnt run it, let us have a slider or better yet let us pick how much off a % off our crew we can see.

people with not so upto date pcs can select 0% for no fps issues while in fights people can have it set to around 50% and if you want to take a screenshot or record a small clip you could wack it up to full reveling all the crew on you ship at the cost of fps

• Like 1

i personaly would like the option to turn the crew off,,the men in bad pants doing repititive actions annoy me,,beside its a waiste of bandwith,,if anything wud rather see only the captain on the deck.but even better get rid of the men on our deck and put sharks in the water,,if you please,,i vote for no people on the ship,

Edited by Leviathan
edited for content

My suggestion is, on a basic level to increase the level of realism which game labs have so far, done a good job with. What do I mean by this?

- The Crew. On a victory there is what, 600 crew members? If you were to search the ship model thoroughly I bet you could fin about 20 of them.

- Close combat. you would always have marksmen up in the shrouds picking out the officers, but where are they? That sort of links in to the above point.

- A chain of command.  It would be great to see ranks implemented or some sort of system that gives a more experienced player leader in a game.  This could perhaps give him different colored text to stand out, and just gives him a bit of authority. 

For me personally, i'd love to see a good 50 people running along the top deck alone doing different duties depending on the actions of the ship. I'd love to see marksmen shooting from the masts. I'd love to see a helmsman, or maybe two helmsmen depending on the weather/sailing mode. I'd like to see the officers, and perhaps even the captain.  This is the most important point for me because there are tons of games out there that do the bare minimum, that are happy with the sails just magically unfolding themselves without seeing crew actually do it. Don't be one of those games.

I also figured it'd be nice to have a 1st person view from the captain and be able to walk about your ship, but I can understand this may not be a good idea dude to the simplicity of the crew models.

• Like 1

This would be great but you're missing one major consideration.  System Requirements.

To model all of Victory's crew it would be a major tax on systems.  Honestly I'm a bit surprised they modeled the crew they have already.  Especially in early alpha like this.

Maybe in the future they can get more creative, but for now I don't think it's the largest concern.

However I will say I do think your point about marksmen is completely legit.  Having at least the implied loss of crew from them shooting at each other would bring a much needed degree of realism into this.  This also goes hand in hand with the boarding mechanism.  I'm fine with a generic giving of orders, but the current system is confusing and completely boring for me.

I understand the basic concept of rock paper scissors they use, but they need to flesh out a few more commands.  One to disengage the boarding for certain (or attempt to).  I also don't like the whole fight to the last system being used at all.  They should implement a morale system (perhaps with say a rally command and such) so that it's not such a depressing slaughter.

Rarely did crews really fight to the end, typically one side would give up.

Edit:  I should probably point out this is a very early alpha.  I understand you will have to crew your ship and probably pick officers and such.  I expect you will be able to at least to some degree, customize your crew and officers.  It also gives options for say marksmen killing off officers to reduce crew effectiveness.  We'll have to wait and see how far they go with this.

Edited by ingerad
  • Like 1

Remove the enemy damage/health/gun UI element. In my opinion, it spoils gameplay, you can look at how damaged someone is without paying any attention. You should assume how damaged your enemy is by yourself. Same applies to guns - did he just fire or guns are ready and how many. At the moment you can tell that by just looking at that top right bar.

• Like 2

Crew models would be a FPS killer

Actually there is many games with high graphics where we can find over 500+ models and DETAILED environment (not SEA!) and its work good even on not best pc. Stop talking about fps, if we need to play cards with dx11 dont talk about power of PC.

I think its good idea. Implement more detalis to world makes our game better than others craps. Should be option for bad PC - if you have bad pc press button and hide crew on ships and other details(similar option was in silkroad game)

I want to see more crew, animals and animations like falling off from ship our crew if is storm.

Edited by Shavier