Game-Labs Forum

Visible crew display

• 2 weeks later...

Imho when you focus your crew to sailing , you should see sailors go up and down your masts, as well when focus on gunnery see more sailors around cannons, and when repairing see ppl around fixing the wood hammering etc.

It will greatly  augment the "feel" and also make visible what  the enemy crew is doing.

regards pump i have no idea, maybe a group of sailors in various part of the ship working at something?  

Ships need to look alive with lot of sailor expecial on smaller ships when you have only 1 deck, see a brig with 8-10 ppl is meh.. another thing is variety of dressing, would be cool see english troops for hms ships, pirate dress for pirate ships etc.

See potbs: much more alive in that sense (only better factor of potbs > naval right now.. the rest is too arcade/cartoonish)

e23a3efd-d332-4be6-a2b0-a51c6452ba0c.png

Edited by Lord Vicious
  • Like 1

In potbs number of sailors where huge, on big ships you where literally seeing hundred,  but there was an option for show less between 10% and 100% and also at what distance but more important you where seeing them going up and down mast, repairing etc (also much more variety, we have pretty much sailors all dressed the same, and you cant see different kind of sailors example marine infantry etc would be cool see lobsters on hms ships  etc )

fps like, they are pre calculated 3d object with a fix animation, the number of polygons is very low, they can put literally hundreds first than have a problem, a 50 ship battle probably will have a 5 fps drop at top   expecial considering you not display/load them at a certain distance (at moment quite low) 

See? much more alive   is the only part where potbs is superior to naval imho, the feeling of have an "alive" ship the rest is too arcade..

1009.jpg

potbs_sultan_flyut_iii_by_edward_smee-d6

potbs.jpg

Edited by Lord Vicious

Ships with more crew will of course look prettier. But having more visible crew will not make gameplay better. 

We are focused on core elements right now.. We will come back to crew later (maybe). 

ps.. total war engine is 10 years old at least.. it means they spent 10 years improving it to provide good performance for a very large number of units. In 10 years our engine will also be capable to do it :)

• Like 2

Imho when you focus your crew to sailing , you should see sailors go up and down your masts, as well when focus on gunnery see more sailors around cannons, and when repairing see ppl around fixing the wood hammering etc.

There is often no reason for sailors to run aloft (certain actions like reefing or setting/striking a stun'sail would need hands on the yards but they aren't in the game), most aspects of the 'sailing' can be controlled from the deck. I would imagine this was even more the case during an engagement.

I'm sure more/better crew will come in the future but it can't be a priority in pre release.

Actually, sailors were aloft a lot. Reefing requires it. Furling and unfurling sails requires it.

Like I said.... You can't reef sails in game. If the sailors are going to run up and furl sails how quickly are they going to have to move considering it takes about 10 seconds to go from full sail to no sail...

Given the speed of the game any sailor aloft is going to be redundant sat up there for any length of time and would look stupid if they're to run up and down, as by the time he gets up there he'll have to be coming straight back down again.

If players are sailing properly (shivering or backing sails rather than furling every sail to slow down) which, I believe they will be encouraged to do through speed and efficiency at game launch, then there will be no need for sailors aloft.

If at some point adding/removing specific sails for certain weather was introduced or if they were to decrease the speed at which sails are furled or even repairing/replacing individual yards after they've be carried away, then maybe it would be viable to have hands running up the shrouds and along the yards but until then, it's completely pointless..

I would love to see plenty of crew, sailors, and marines running about my deck during battle. One of the main driving factors behind a game is immersion and I feel like an interactive crew that responds to simple gun, sail, and survive commands would be incredibly immersive and would make you feel like your ship is alive and functional.

That, and the interactiveness of gun ports, sails, and steering (like the rudder) would be great too. See the way Empire: Total War manages crews in their sea battles.

I would vote for this a thouasand times over. Please add more visual crew!

• 2 weeks later...

As admin pointed out they may come back to it.

I too would love to see it happen but if we have bare ships I'll live :)

As far as it not effecting gameplay I'm not sure that's right.

Yes it's only visual but a crew is just as important as the sails or the gun models. Without them it might not feel right.

The game looks great as is and I think can only go up from here... Obviously these small little details may need to be addressed at a later date. The open world gameplay and mixing fleet actions and other things will be the heart of the game. If it's not done right we won't play it no matter how cool the crew looks.

This is what forums are for thought right? People with ideas of how they think this game could be better! I'm just so glad the devs have let us in on the process...our feedback can steer this game into something we all can love. ( I know kinda mushy there!)

@Sir.sigurd i think similar.

I tried years ago also the beta of WoT's (worldoftanks) but as simgame-fan it was for my taste to arcade-shooter like and i soon lost interest. But there you see no 'humen', only the models, so i thought everytime i control a RC-model in a sandbox, never a 'tank'.

Ok, here in NA its still Alpha, still the foundation of functionality important, not polishing appearance or the final gameplay. Also clear the goal should be at least to see optional 'crew', similar to PotBS, but momentary not really important. Naval Action is in that testable stage not a game, its a test programm and a part of a coming game.

Anyway would be not only 'nice'. Sure folks want to see ships, but without adequate crew they must lie in harbour....^^

Edited by Theuerdank
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the necro...  I only realized the date of the last post after I'd already made my post since I used search to find a similar topic rather than starting a new one.

So any idea if they will adjust the size of our giants to be a little more in line with the size of actual people?  The current crew iteration adds some flavor, but it also looks a bit silly.  Imagine a full crew compliment on deck with the current models... they would be packed tighter than sardines.

• 1 month later...

Usually, when you play MMOs.. a player can determine, at least partially what items does the opponent have. Here, we can mainly guess... with the one exception of the cannons/carros. I would like that to improve, and I think crew management can do that easily if its possible to see.

For example.. if a guy has marines upgrade, you should be able to see some of them on the deck while zooming.

When you toggle  sailing/gunnery/boarding, the crew should visibly start to separate, prepare and operate after at the current given tasks.

I think it may be good to actually see some crew members prepare for boarding, when you toggle it.

If a player has, lets say fine Reinforced Masts, it would be good to be able to notice that. Like the masts can have some blue hue, or just a better/different model.

Etc ...

• Like 2