Game-Labs Forum

Patch 22: Patrol BR limits, Grape fix and Planking mechanics improvements

admin

before 1-2 Patches you get problems like 

fully 12pd med loaded santi could shoot down the side armor of a AI santi to Zero 

BUT if not close range Zero damage to the structure 0000000000000 not evn crew , how was that fixed (if) ? and what was the reason for this , why we need a 100 % pen chance now ? because of this maybe ? 

penning from above to the water line (but could be bullshit what i say ) and cause leaks

AI damage out put on mid an short range is realy high now , basicly no more bounces on mid range and closer  on 90 degree (from any gun)

oh and btw 

try a santi with 9pd guns lower deck 4 (yes 4 ) 4pd top deck reload mods and go close range to anything

if the game realy want to say me, that i can blast a first rate away with my 9pd and 4 pd guns pls say me why 

Edited by Linsktein
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rediii said:

I dont say there should be a I win button, I say you shouldnt be defenceless once a small ship is behind you

You are not defenseless. Most losses of sols to small ships a related to captains mistakes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trino said:

Maybe, maybe not, admin told this in "thickness. Meta is back"-thread ... 

I'm not per se against the new pen model ... I admit that i liked the old (two days ago) model because it seems to me it was more forgiving and slowed the battle ... better for low skilled players like me ... In my perception there was no complaining about the old model, now we got a new one ... ok ...no drama, we will adapt :) 

Not true. Now 10 noobs can zerg ram dinark. He can't angle 10 ships. This patch has done zerging a favor and I'm OK with the fact many ships kill few

Edited by HachiRoku
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Yes but admin the idea that a light, open decked ship could pass within 100 meters of ANY side without taking damage of the ship is ridiculous. Realistically the crew would be firing down on the ship killing and wounding many crew over the length of time

I like the idea someone else proposed, have crew members that fire at enemy ships near them, it could be based on the many muskets you have on your ship with mods etc and do crew damage over time

I been in a sitution in real life where the hired security team filled a small fast boat with holes killing it's engine so it can't get beside and board the ship to slow it down for it's buddies in the bigger slow fishing boat.  It's not a pratice that is new.  Marines been doing it for years stopping small boarding/raiding parties with simple musket fire.

12 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Not true. Now 10 noobs can zerg ram dinark. He can't angle 10 ships. This patch has done zerging a favor and I'm OK with the fact many ships kill few

36 minutes ago, Jesper Dahl said:

Add swivel damage. Within 100m on the side a lower deck ship starts to take "dot damage" in relation to height difference ;)

There is nothing wrong with having a zerg of small ships, the problem is when they side scrap you and you can't do anything about it.  POTBS stopped this by having a zone around all ships that if you enter you took crew damage from the other ship simulating musket fire.  We could have something like that.  This would effect all ships big or small.   On POTBS we use to use Van Horn Snows all the time to zerg big ships, most the time we lost almost half our numbers but they where fun fights and we just make another and jump right back out there.  

Oh and new hotfix/patch notes?

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 1

Yesterday saw a WO plank Bucentaure get sunk by 3 shallow boats very easily. The thickness changes are probably too much. A ship of the Line getting sunk by a large fleet 10 or more 6th rates, given enough time and shot, is understandable. But for 3 of them to sink a 2nd rate so easily is just poppy cock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

There is nothing wrong with having a zerg of small ships, the problem is when they side scrap you and you can't do anything about it.  POTBS stopped this by having a zone around all ships that if you enter you took crew damage from the other ship simulating musket fire.  We could have something like that.  This would effect all ships big or small.   On POTBS we use to use Van Horn Snows all the time to zerg big ships, most the time we lost almost half our numbers but they where fun fights and we just make another and jump right back out there.  

we have this zone in game but its switched off. It does not feel right - you sail by and your crew just melts :)

9 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

True, but ships are sinking fast now too ... if you miss a salvo and the other not you are almost dead ... 

Captains,

Hotfix was deployed today.

Crew splinter resistance bonus changes.
  • Some fitting combinations allowed complete reduction of crew damage. Such upgrades and books bonuses were reduced. Max possible crew resistance due to ship build and training is 49.5%
  • We have added crew resistance bonuses to oak (10%) and sabicu planking (5%)
Other changes
  • Bow figure - Katherine turn rate bonus was lowered to 3%
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, admin said:

we have this zone in game but its switched off. It does not feel right - you sail by and your crew just melts :)

Uvv, interesting :D I guess it's not properly developed yet, but - does ship height and crew numbers affect the crew damange, and is it more dangerous to have an open gun deck (brig) than a close gun deck (Snow)? I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm really interested in this feature.

• Like 2

Just now, admin said:

Well did it look right? If there was no visual feedback then yeah it would be a bit silly just having your crew slowly tick down. A few marines on each side of the ship with simple animation and sound when close would suffice.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

Just now, jodgi said:

I've always liked that small ships pose a threat to big ships. If princes cause you trouble you can drop down to some frigate and escape or kill them with more ease.

But it's not realistic and it's kind of silly tbh. They can be a threat in other ways, but parking up next to a 1st rate hull to hull and just sitting there taking no damage is crazy.

How would you drop down a ship mid combat?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, admin said:

Does it only work while in boarding?

Does it only work because marines are equiped?

Does mustekt fire drain crew from other sailing tasks?

3 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

They can be a threat in other ways, but parking up next to a 1st rate hull to hull and just sitting there taking no damage is crazy.

And there are other ways of avoiding them "parking" next to your moving hull. Suggestions have already been posted in this thread.

6 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

How would you drop down a ship mid combat?

Ech, don't be obtuse.

• Like 1

Just now, jodgi said:

And there are other ways of avoiding them "parking" next to your moving hull. Suggestions have already been posted in this thread.

Yeah but I shouldn't have to avoid a ship 8x smaller than my own, they should avoid me or get pelted by .50 round shot and swivel fire.

Speaking of swivels, wen do all ship get them? I wanna rain fire on frigate crews from above!

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

15 minutes ago, admin said:

Why not just nerf it then?? Until it is in a good spot. Or make it really weak unless you have "Muskets and pistols" or "boarding cannons". Maybe make brace mechanic more dynamic so your crew has more resistance but  -% reload / turn / repair etc. ?

With delay in the subject, but to bring some information on the Buc poured by 3 princes, I was one of them and the Buc made big mistakes, he paid in cash.

He loses more than half of his weapons in the fight with our passes in the back and does no repair to restore them. Bad management of the wind, no attempt to board at low speed, while he has almost 3 times our crew, it is based on his DD. Demist how to say, bordered in the water or in the clouds. And many other mistakes and he's just trying to escape, here's how to lose a 2nd rank against mosquitoes.

For us, 1 is improved in PvP and 1 has learned that it is possible to do it.

Aventador, thank you for this training and try the new pacth on a big ass.

Finally, ships that are no longer invincible and that these fights become fun

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rediii said:

Thank you :)

But I still think this circle of musketfire/damage would be a feature

It wouldn't just be a safeguard for big ships either, shallow water battles would be loads more interesting with musket crews/swivels and I think new players who start their first battle in a BC or brig or whatever would appreciate that their ships aren't lumbering husks of cannons, but that there are fighting men aboard

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, admin said:

But was it ever tested on a more larger scale. I think I remember ya'll mentioning it in the past when this type of topic was brought up.  I think it would be a good thing for all ships to have a little crew damage on all parties if they are within say 50m.  Though have it dependent on crew size and cap that you can only kill a small percentage over time.   If you loose `1-10 crew every minute you stay in that range with some one it will start to add up, but the easy way to solve that is to back off a bit so your no longer in musket range.  Make the 1-10 crew bas off the ships size.  Most ships carried 20% marines on them.  So you base that off 50-1000 crew we are talking about 20-200 muskets.  The low end of that only does 1 crew per a set time while the high end can do 10 crew.  I would test it starting with every 30 seconds your in range than tweek it up or down from that.  Every 15 secs might be to often but every min might be not enough.   The point is it made getting close to another ship risky for your crew as that was normally only when you where getting ready to board a ship.  Small ship wants to side scrap a big ship they risk loosing 1-10 crews every 30 secs.

16 minutes ago, rediii said:

Is it possible to hear musket fire sounds and a bit of smoke coming from top of the ship?

Doesnt have to kill 5 guys a second aswell, barely noticeable affects small ships already

I turn off most my ambient in game sounds, so making extra sounds is just added stuff to the game.  I want to be able to hear the voice comes and whistles being blown lol

As I stated above and others are pointing out if it seem like to many where getting killed tone it down until we find that sweet spot.

Crew defence mods like Barricades, wood types, ship knowledge and such should effect how much crew you loose too for close in musket range.

10 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Why not just nerf it then?? Until it is in a good spot. Or make it really weak unless you have "Muskets and pistols" or "boarding cannons". Maybe make brace mechanic more dynamic so your crew has more resistance but  -% reload / turn / repair etc. ?

8 minutes ago, rediii said:

Muskets and pistols + marines could change your crewman to marines standing on the sides of the ship

When someone enters the zone they fire and kill crew. (with sound and smoke from musket)

damage depends on amount of your crew and muskets + deckdifference + range to target. 100m maxdistance

The rest is balancing the damage done

all ships had marines on board back than, but this could give folks reason to have certian mods over than just for board fit.   I personnely thing the baording cannons is  useless mod from the few times i tested it I really didn't see any improvements, but it was also against AI with all the dang board green board mods.

28 minutes ago, rediii said:

Muskets and pistols + marines could change your crewman to marines standing on the sides of the ship

When someone enters the zone they fire and kill crew. (with sound and smoke from musket)

damage depends on amount of your crew and muskets + deckdifference + range to target. 100m maxdistance

The rest is balancing the damage done

i thought the issue is at 10m and less why now 100m?

• Like 1

Just now, z4ys said:

i thought the issue is at 10m and less why now 100m?

Because it's a good feature and not limited to just fixing the issue of small ships parking up to large ones to avoid damage.

A musket can kill out to 125 yards, and is accurate (as accurate as accurate can get for a musket) at 50-75.

at 10m grenades can come in play which is when the real fun starts ;)

Edited by Slim Jimmerson