Game-Labs Forum

Im getting close to quitting this game.

Since the patch last May, the entire character of the game has changed. It used to be a lot of fun building a trading business, crafting and selling ships, working my way up the XP ladder of rank, etc. Now, it has become one gigantic grind fest trying to make gold, earn battle marks (much less victory marks), and continually losing ships with only one durability. In a way, the one dura is more realistic I suppose. But I guess I'm not the best player out there. I have lost three frigates, three Mercs, a number of trading brigs and frankly, Ive gotten tired of it. Buying and equipping a ship only to lose it has become demoralizing. Trying to find the damn materials to build new ones or try to build up the money to buy one can be a long process. Ive been with this game since it first went public on steam, what, over three years ago? Ive always found it fun and challenging, up till now. It was cool to find out what a port had by sailing there, then you knew where to find stuff. This stupid trading tool now is wrong half the time it seems. Or even better, you get to a port with a material available to find its bought up or only a few pieces. What a waste of sailing time. Now, the port combat has become too complicated, the marks too much of a grind, the politics just aren't my bag, and frankly, I'm getting real tired of it. You know whats great about world of tanks and other successful MMo's? Their simplicity. This game has lost that for me. Too bad really. 

Edited by racketyjack

The crafting has gone way over the top in an attempt to reduce the number of higher class ships being built. The problem is, the ONLY thing that it accomplished was that once a group has a skilled crew and is able to camp areas thus restricting prized building materials there is no way to field any kind of force that can knock them off the top. Mark generation is way over the top, battle groups now make large fleets of SOL's untouchable where as they can target and obliterate anyone they chose. Everything it seems that has been introduced since the wipe has done nothing but create a rift that past a certain point makes the game very one sided. Any group that gets established and can restrict movement of materials will win and with there being no "game won, resetting game" function people will continue to either switch sides or simply leave and grumble about the $40 that was wasted. I have seen many good ideas here for content that could be added to the game, so far the only content being added is items that assist the pirates at this point. 

1 hour ago, racketyjack said:

Since the patch last May, the entire character of the game has changed. It used to be a lot of fun building a trading business, crafting and selling ships, working my way up the XP ladder of rank, etc. Now, it has become one gigantic grind fest trying to make gold, earn battle marks (much less victory marks), and continually losing ships with only one durability. In a way, the one dura is more realistic I suppose. But I guess I'm not the best player out there. I have lost three frigates, three Mercs, a number of trading brigs and frankly, Ive gotten tired of it. Buying and equipping a ship only to lose it has become demoralizing. Trying to find the damn materials to build new ones or try to build up the money to buy one can be a long process. Ive been with this game since it first went public on steam, what, over three years ago? Ive always found it fun and challenging, up till now. It was cool to find out what a port had by sailing there, then you knew where to find stuff. This stupid trading tool now is wrong half the time it seems. Or even better, you get to a port with a material available to find its bought up or only a few pieces. What a waste of sailing time. Now, the port combat has become too complicated, the marks too much of a grind, the politics just aren't my bag, and frankly, I'm getting real tired of it. You know whats great about world of tanks and other successful MMo's? Their simplicity. This game has lost that for me. Too bad really. 

I agree with you on the grind and crafting.  What they need to do is reduce the grind.  XP is fine, it is the grind of the combat marks, ship knowledge, blue print costs, module costs, and cannon costs that need to be nerfed.  Before we bought 5 ships, now we buy one.  The cost of 1 ship now should be 5 times less than what it was before, and I actually think it more than before when you count cannons, repairs, and definitely when you add in modules.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, racketyjack said:

Ive always found it fun and challenging, up till now.

It was never challenging before the last wipe unless you talk about balanced good pvp battles. Before the wipe you got everything handed to you on a silver platter. I think ships aren't too hard to get now that you can even cap smaller ones. I prefer ships actually having some value to be honest... What i find really sad tho, is that they added the best upgrades as RNG drop for pve - on top of the already hard grind...

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, shaeberle84 said:

The problem is that the @admins want us to do PVP, which is fun.

But PVP does not pay itself for the average player. Therefore we need hours of trading and PVE missions to afford ships, cannons and stuff, which is not fun at all.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:34 PM, Skully said:
On 8/15/2017 at 0:30 PM, admin said:

мы пытались много раз :) вы сами свидетели

пвп не работает на низком онлайне - большинство хотят ощущения присутствия в опасном мире но опасности не хотят
пытаться вытащить их (дать вам еду) невозможно как нам кажется - и попытки это исправить не дают геймплея ни вам ни им 

There is no incentive to get sunk. Or rather, there is no gain to play as food.

Google translate: Нет стимула утонуть. Вернее, нет никакой выгоды, чтобы играть как пищу.

• Like 2

We just need to re-balance pvp rewards.

Right now, rewards are only given for sunk ships (either kill or assist). If we would give rewards also for damaging (assist for 20% hull, 20% crew or 2 mast shocks), even sunk players would get some rewards (and also draw battles or people who helped capturing a ship). This would totally change the willingness to participate in PVP battles.

• Like 4

Changes since the wipe have destroyed the game. The devs would need to back out all the changes since the wipe to get players back now and they won't do that. The hard core PvPers got what they wanted now they can tear each other to pieces until no one is left. Why would I play for hours just to be prey for better players? Such a shame. Navel noAction. RIP.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Wynkyn de Worde said:

Changes since the wipe have destroyed the game.

We need a new rule set. Current one doesn't cut the cake. I think it is too much to say the game is killed, the current season / round however is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skully said:

We need a new rule set. Current one doesn't cut the cake. I think it is too much to say the game is killed, the current season / round however is.

Its something like: Every player needs to be able to join in pvp-fights every night without a loss setting them back weeks of grinding. The 5 duras, longer ROE joining timers and easy to grasp shipbuilding did it for me. Now its all gone and I play something else. Running around in a Lynx trying to make an economy going is not the same as building a lineship and fight it out in a big battle versus furious pvp-pirates. Sorry to say. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skully said:

Perhaps you will be shown to be right. The devs better act quickly on the triple by-pass the game needs. But I think once players have moved on they won't be back and new ones can't play the present game. Sure not quite dead yet but I'd be asking the relatives if they'd discussed organ donation with the patient.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fox2run said:

The 5 duras, longer ROE joining timers and easy to grasp shipbuilding did it for me.

The 5 duras had its reason: make the defender pay for a loss. But it was never balanced across the board, so a Surprise became 5x more expensive to build in terms of effort.

RoE rules are a ship in a storm, swaying back and forth because both sides of the issue do not think of the counter when they suggest something.

Shipbuilding has become a very expensive exercise. Shipyards more expensive, Trader Lynx nerfed, AI production gone completely and no smuggler possibilities.

@admin likes to call it too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe its too many ingredients in the soup. ^_^

45 minutes ago, racketyjack said:

And wait for what exactly? 

There will be more wipes and/or map resets, and new ships and mechanics, and a bump in population and activity with each.  There will be lobby mode battles.  New things.  We had a couple months of fun with new toys before things really went wonky.  Hopefully same next time around with more lasting success. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

5 hours ago, racketyjack said:

And wait for what exactly? 

you do understand this is still Alpha...!  ? (after 3 years)

this not going to be: boom,  boom boom, , sink,....you know

for example you say '""This stupid trading tool now is wrong half the time it seems. Or even better, you get to a port with a material available to find its bought up or only a few pieces. What a waste of sailing time""

yes, that still needs work to get it right..but it will not be left untouched so patience is still  a good trade good 

at a certain level  i can agree with you about the importance of having a good economy , but it seems it is one of the last chapters for the developers to go into .

actually in my opinion economy is one of the first things to get right for a game like this, but some parts of the game had more attention needed to get it all work

it seems that we can not have it all at the same time.

And you can not quit you are addicted  :rolleyes:

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

The stupid grind for the sake of grinding made me quit too. As a casual player with a demanding job with limited time to play i decided it wasnt worth using 100% of my play time for 2 weeks just to get a ship and out long guns on it. I read they made it somewhat easier since i left but its to little to late.

They created a runaway train with a few really bad mechanics and now just keep adding new grinds to try and slow down that runaway train....unfortunately it only slows the train for a day or two but is a death sentence to most normal humans.

I dont understand the complaint here. The effort required to cap an npc 5th rate or even buy one is almost nothing. How are people struggling to stay shipped up? 

If your mad 4th rates and better are expensive then piss off. They should be. 

1 hour ago, Mrdoomed said:

The stupid grind for the sake of grinding made me quit too. As a casual player with a demanding job with limited time to play i decided it wasnt worth using 100% of my play time for 2 weeks just to get a ship and out long guns on it. I read they made it somewhat easier since i left but its to little to late.

They created a runaway train with a few really bad mechanics and now just keep adding new grinds to try and slow down that runaway train....unfortunately it only slows the train for a day or two but is a death sentence to most normal humans.

It was a bit grindy from beginning but now its impossible. I loved the battles and the life on pvp server with a focus on battles in all kinds of ways. But then hard core players began to whine and destroyed the game totally. No duras, no time to join battles, port battles for heavy grinders and TS-folks only, hard economy, pve-play on pvp-server. No wonder players left after using so many hours...

I finally achieved a goal to get some first rates and join some battles in them. But then they resetted everything and made it a nightmare just to have money for a small trading ship. 

Its first time in my gaming life Ive seen a company actually trying to shut players out from game content. Really a weird approach...

Hard core players comments: I've seen the above comment in many forms recently....that hardcore players gave us the messes we have now.  I tend to agree.  Take PVP global France for example, I been playing it for 18 months, now we're back where we were before (multiple times) with now 2 regions, and seems it now the same thing, that some of the hardcore players have started their exodus from the nation now that they've killed the nation.  Just monitor nation chat to see.  The ports are worthless attitude shouted here on the forums by some of them and in the game is part of the problem; regardless of the future of RVR in this game, they are flatout wrong as it stands now, but that's another thread, not to derail this one.  Yeah, hardcore players have exactly what they asked for, and now they can stare each other down on the open seas, all 50 or so of them.

Trading tool comments: If you really are a trader at heart, then you would see there's nothing wrong with the trading tool.  It could certainly stand a few enhancements with some additional information, yes, but to say it's wrong means you don't understand it.  Every day after reset of the server it is exactly correct at that first snapshot.  Goods are available where they say they're available, producers are producers, consumers are consumers, and the prices are set.  This game is dynamic, so over a day's time, the goods get moved around.  So they get to zero in many instances, even though you planned to travel there later for something that was available at the first snapshot.  Producing ports regenerate some of that daily, so the numbers might be non-zero but low after initial depletion.  You need to understand this and plan your trips accordingly.  Producing and consuming ports are always listed correctly, so you know who's likely to have "some" of the good available, and you know who's going to pay a higher price for what you sell.  Also, the prices listed in that tool for buy and sell, I have never seen one of them in error ever.  Perhaps there are 1 or 2?  But I've never seen one.  How is any of that tool wrong?

If you get to a port and the goods you are looking for are depleted or low, if you really are a trader then you also will know the market for every other good in that port, and you can adjust your play.  You analyze it for your next best move, buy, and move on.  If you're not doing that, then you're doing it wrong (as a trader at least).

Now if you aren't a trader, but you are in the market for a particular asset for shipbuilding, let's just take fir logs as an example, then ask on your nation chat or in your clan who knows where they are.  Or you can sail short distances for most assets in this map with smuggler flag and retreive what you need.

2 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Hard core players comments: I've seen the above comment in many forms recently....that hardcore players gave us the messes we have now.  I tend to agree.  Take PVP global France for example, I been playing it for 18 months, now we're back where we were before (multiple times) with now 2 regions, and seems it now the same thing, that some of the hardcore players have started their exodus from the nation now that they've killed the nation.  Just monitor nation chat to see.  The ports are worthless attitude shouted here on the forums by some of them and in the game is part of the problem; regardless of the future of RVR in this game, they are flatout wrong as it stands now, but that's another thread, not to derail this one.  Yeah, hardcore players have exactly what they asked for, and now they can stare each other down on the open seas, all 50 or so of them.

So are you volunteering to do the hours and hours of PVE grinding it takes to set a port battle to take those ports back, and then after it's lost in the middle of the night or work day 4 days later you're volunteering to spend hours and hours grinding PVE fleets AGAIN a week later to get those ports back, and so on EVERY week until the next Wipe?  We did that PVE fleet grinding for a couple months and it pissed everyone off.  Nobody wants to do that anymore.  Grinding day after day down in Orinoco and Trinidad and up in Leewards for ports most of us never saw again, then having to counter-grind them every time the neighbors got frisky.  Actually I don't remember Jean Ribault being one of the players that put in prominent effort to get those ports in the first place, and I don't remember Jean Ribault from any of the port battles I was in?  You popped up in July or something as a trader, enjoying the ports others had acquired for you. 

2 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

So are you volunteering to do the hours and hours of PVE grinding it takes to set a port battle to take those ports back, and then after it's lost in the middle of the night or work day 4 days later you're volunteering to spend hours and hours grinding PVE fleets AGAIN a week later to get those ports back, and so on EVERY week until the next Wipe?  We did that PVE fleet grinding for a couple months and it pissed everyone off.  Nobody wants to do that anymore.  Grinding day after day down in Orinoco and Trinidad and up in Leewards for ports most of us never saw again, then having to counter-grind them every time the neighbors got frisky.  Actually I don't remember Jean Ribault being one of the players that put in prominent effort to get those ports in the first place, and I don't remember Jean Ribault from any of the port battles I was in?  You popped up in July or something as a trader, enjoying the ports others had acquired for you. 

4 hours hell.... if you are trying to flip a broken assed pirate port it can take upwards of 6 hours.   

I have never seen such a backwards haphazard development cycle in an early access game.   The other 2 games I am on the beta teams on I can say they are FAR more structured and take suggestions but ultimately if they dont fit into the original advertised concept of the game they discard them, and tell you why.  

At one time Gamelabs was like that.  Then they decided to just randomly start throwing things at the game every 4 weeks then completely gutting it and throwing a completely new half thought out concept at the game.  Perhaps they are still very structured in the Russian forums, but seeing as I am not russian or care to read russian I wouldnt know.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hodo said:

4 hours hell.... if you are trying to flip a broken assed pirate port it can take upwards of 6 hours.   

It takes days in an empty region like Orinoco, Leewards or Windwards, though it can be done in a few hours in particularly concentrated places like Basse-Terre.  (without opposition, of course)  They're all different.

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

18 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I have never seen such a backwards haphazard development cycle in an early access game.   The other 2 games I am on the beta teams on I can say they are FAR more structured and take suggestions but ultimately if they dont fit into the original advertised concept of the game they discard them, and tell you why.  

At one time Gamelabs was like that.  Then they decided to just randomly start throwing things at the game every 4 weeks then completely gutting it and throwing a completely new half thought out concept at the game.  Perhaps they are still very structured in the Russian forums, but seeing as I am not russian or care to read russian I wouldnt know.  

Guess they listened to ill-advising guys like you... It couldnt be boring enough, could it?