Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.4 Conquest changes, Battle Groups, Wapen von Hamburg (III)

admin

13 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Turn through the wind and head off close haul. The bellona will either have to make a huge turn with the wind which will give you a lot of room or will have to turn through the wind himself which will give you plenty of room too with the surprises acceleration. This goes back to my comment where I said people have to actually learn how to use their ships rather than having everything handed to them in easy mode.

no ship should be able to attack someone and get away with impunity, without even taking fire sometimes. Now, if you sail a surprise and attack a bigger ship, you better know what your doing because if the bigger ship operator knows what he's doing it's going to go bad for you. I did not enjoy the previous meta where surprise captains could just attack you and disengage at will when it turned downhill for them. Now, instead of griefing larger ships, smaller ships have to fight or at least know how to handle their ships.

IF that Ballona chooses to turn and follow instead of hammering your sails down when they are all in a nice neat line for his broadside.   I love when I see players turn through the wind in a square rigged ship in my Privateer, I can snipe their mast tops quite easily at that point.  

And I do know how to sail, quite well in this game as a matter a fact.  And quite a few people on Global know this.   

6 minutes ago, Hodo said:

IF that Ballona chooses to turn and follow instead of hammering your sails down when they are all in a nice neat line for his broadside.   I love when I see players turn through the wind in a square rigged ship in my Privateer, I can snipe their mast tops quite easily at that point.  

And I do know how to sail, quite well in this game as a matter a fact.  And quite a few people on Global know this.   

If the bellona doesn't turn, you will outrange him quickly. And 36 longs do have a maximum effective range. If you are close enough that one broadside has enough weight to knock your sails out, you were doing something wrong to begin with or didn't have the skill to one vs one a bellona. A good light ship captain wouldn't have even been tagged on the os by the bellona. If he tagged the bellona and then can't get away, sounds like a case of stupidity on his part. In a larger fleet encounter, he should be on the bigger ships stern, not running away. Younsurprise captains want your cake and to eat it too. You sailed too long with no consequences to your actions. Now you live like the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, Malachy said:

If the bellona doesn't turn, you will outrange him quickly. And 36 longs do have a maximum effective range. If you are close enough that one broadside has enough weight to knock your sails out, you were doing something wrong to begin with or didn't have the skill to one vs one a bellona. A good light ship captain wouldn't have even been tagged on the os by the bellona. If he tagged the bellona and then can't get away, sounds like a case of stupidity on his part. In a larger fleet encounter, he should be on the bigger ships stern, not running away. Younsurprise captains want your cake and to eat it too. You sailed too long with no consequences to your actions. Now you live like the rest of us.

I am no Surprise captain, I sail fore-aft rigged ships most of the time.  

But you are right, if the surprise finds itself in that situation he did something wrong.  9 times out of 10, this is the case.  Or the Ballona captain did something right.   But a 36lb long can take the topsail masts off of a surprise at about 700m.  It can take out sails out to about 1.4km.   

9 minutes ago, Malachy said:

If I understand correct in this particular case your argument is again the lack of skill in sailing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I am no Surprise captain, I sail fore-aft rigged ships most of the time.  

But you are right, if the surprise finds itself in that situation he did something wrong.  9 times out of 10, this is the case.  Or the Ballona captain did something right.   But a 36lb long can take the topsail masts off of a surprise at about 700m.  It can take out sails out to about 1.4km.   

I sail regular frigates most of the time myself but I've put my time into corvettes. There are countless ways a ship can break off action or prevent it. I've gotten away from gank groups in a 9 knot bellona before lol. The even playing field that max speed has become just means that sailing profiles and acceleration/turning are that much more important. I never said you don't know how to sail, but too many surprise captains out there are crying foul when they really only knew how to gank and run and never really learned how to handle their ships. I really only have run into 4 good surprise captains and I notice none of them are complaining. (Werwolf, liquicity, Cabral, and elite delta)

Edited by Malachy

7 minutes ago, Luc said:

If I understand correct in this particular case your argument is again the lack of skill in sailing. 

Most players don't understand how to sail their ships. They find one thing (however broken it is) and rely on that. They don't understand the other aspects that make up a ship. When that crutch is brought in line for everything else, they cry foul because all of a sudden, they have to know how to handle their ship and easy mode is gone.

1 minute ago, Malachy said:

Most players don't understand how to sail their ships. They find one thing (however broken it is) and rely on that. They don't understand the other aspects that make up a ship. When that crutch is brought in line for everything else, they cry foul because all of a sudden, they have to know how to handle their ship and easy mode is gone.

your right with this behaviour of human beings but i was wondering because noone was talking about sailing skill and your argument with lack of skillness does not provide any discussion about possibilities or potential possibilities to find a solution about the clear described problem before.

But maybe with my lack understanding ;) im not capable of understand your point and how it gives sufficient contribution. nevertheless i look foreward for meeting you in a good fight.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Malachy said:

I sail regular frigates most of the time myself but I've put my time into corvettes. There are countless ways a ship can break off action or prevent it. I've gotten away from gank groups in a 9 knot bellona before lol. The even playing field that max speed has become just means that sailing profiles and acceleration/turning are that much more important. I never said you don't know how to sail, but too many surprise captains out there are crying foul when they really only knew how to gank and run and never really learned how to handle their ships. I really only have run into 4 good surprise captains and I notice none of them are complaining. (Werwolf, liquicity, Cabral, and elite delta)

Most of those captains are smart enough to avoid a good 3rd rate captain in their surprise.  

Even I can take out a SoL captained by a bad captain... and I sail a Lynx or a Privateer most of the time.

1 hour ago, koltes said:

You can never get to top 3 clubbing seals. Try it and you will see. Sinking Trader Brig gives you 1 point. Sinking Surprise 28.

Oh Ok, perhaps I was using the wrong terminology then, the Ensign wasn't in a TBrig he was in a Snow. He's not killing trading ships, he's killing fighting ships but captained by new players. He's gone to KPR because he knows that the Brits have gone to Belize and KPR is full of noobs. I assumed that was what 'seal clubbing' meant: killing noobs, either way the fact remains: he's top of Leaderboard, he's at KPR. He knows there are easy kills there and he wants to be top. I'm not blaming the guy, he can do what he likes but If there was no leaderboard he prob wouldn't bother. So the leaderboard is a bad idea. You are quibbling over terminology now, so now I know you know I am right :)

If i can give you a quote:

"Don’t be an assh..le. Let people go too. If you see the guy clearly don’t know how to sail because it is his first week in the game and he asks to let him go do it. You can tell if people are new. He probably doesn’t have anything valuable in his cargo hold anyway. Breaking people’s bank is a sure way to get them upset with the game." - Koltes

Edited by Hullabaloo
added a famous quote :)

In a nutshell, I'm saying that this new speed cap forces players to utilize every aspect of their ship, rather than relying on a crutch that allowed them to escape consequences of their actions. Now, to run away successfully, you need to make use of your ships sailing profile, know the other guys sailing profile, and make use of your turning and acceleration to counter the other guy. It took away a lame get out of jail free card and made the game more fair to everyone not just corvette captains.

and to hit that cap in bigger ships, you have to use most of your mods for speed, where a corvette can get away with one or two mods, which is a lot cheaper and allows you to really beef up some of your other stats like sail rising (acceleration) and turning, which will give you a huge advantage over a ship that has to completely speed mod just to reach top speed.

Edited by Malachy

6 hours ago, Malachy said:

In a nutshell, I'm saying that this new speed cap forces players to utilize every aspect of their ship, rather than relying on a crutch that allowed them to escape consequences of their actions. Now, to run away successfully, you need to make use of your ships sailing profile, know the other guys sailing profile, and make use of your turning and acceleration to counter the other guy. It took away a lame get out of jail free card and made the game more fair to everyone not just corvette captains.

and to hit that cap in bigger ships, you have to use most of your mods for speed, where a corvette can get away with one or two mods, which is a lot cheaper and allows you to really beef up some of your other stats like sail rising (acceleration) and turning, which will give you a huge advantage over a ship that has to completely speed mod just to reach top speed.

Again, so what's the point of having different ships now?  Just give everyone a 15-knot Connie, and let the superior "skill" shine!   And ur point input certain ships being able to get away with impunity is utter nonsense...   Every fight is not NOR SHOULD BE a fight to the death.  I've tagged many a Connie in my Surprise.  I can usually gauge the skill of a captain after the first few manoeuvers/broadsides.  If I feel I have a decent shot of victory, I'll battle it out.   If the enemy captain can fight and outclasses me, I have zero problems tipping my hat to him and attempting to withdraw.  

More than a few "captains" in this game could use a lesson in honor and humility from our historical predecessors.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Again, so what's the point of having different ships now?  Just give everyone a 15-knot Connie, and let the superior "skill" shine!   And ur point input certain ships being able to get away with impunity is utter nonsense...   Every fight is not NOR SHOULD BE a fight to the death.  I've tagged many a Connie in my Surprise.  I can usually gauge the skill of a captain after the first few manoeuvers/broadsides.  If I feel I have a decent shot of victory, I'll battle it out.   If the enemy captain can fight and outclasses me, I have zero problems tipping my hat to him and attempting to withdraw.  

More than a few "captains" in this game could use a lesson in honor and humility from our historical predecessors.  

I've showed half a dozen times how you can use different sailing profiles and acceleration and maneuverability combined with some decent sail rending to escape. That is the point of different ships, different sailing profiles and acceleration/maneuverability give you different tactical options. No ship should have an "I escape" option that doesn't require any risk. If you engage and then decide to disengage it should be dangerous as hell, which it is now. If you think you need an instant escape option, go play naval action junior with the kiddies. I spent a year playing in 4th rates with surprises griefing and running when I tore them apart. Now, it's not so easy to grief another player. If you engage, now you actually have to fight abit to be able to attempt to play the coward. This was about the best anti griefing move game labs ever made.

Edited by Malachy

11 hours ago, Hullabaloo said:

Oh Ok, perhaps I was using the wrong terminology then, the Ensign wasn't in a TBrig he was in a Snow. He's not killing trading ships, he's killing fighting ships but captained by new players. He's gone to KPR because he knows that the Brits have gone to Belize and KPR is full of noobs. I assumed that was what 'seal clubbing' meant: killing noobs, either way the fact remains: he's top of Leaderboard, he's at KPR. He knows there are easy kills there and he wants to be top. I'm not blaming the guy, he can do what he likes but If there was no leaderboard he prob wouldn't bother. So the leaderboard is a bad idea. You are quibbling over terminology now, so now I know you know I am right :)

If i can give you a quote:

"Don’t be an assh..le. Let people go too. If you see the guy clearly don’t know how to sail because it is his first week in the game and he asks to let him go do it. You can tell if people are new. He probably doesn’t have anything valuable in his cargo hold anyway. Breaking people’s bank is a sure way to get them upset with the game." - Koltes

Oh so you were talking about me killing some outside KPR? Nice of you quoting me. Let me give you another quote from the same guide then since you have missed it ;) 

On 7/10/2017 at 4:44 PM, koltes said:

"It may sound strange, but in your early solo pirate career you need to make sure that you sink a lot. This will achieve the most important thing - you will become ok with sinking. You will stop being afraid of sinking. Being ganked or losing the fight will not have a negative effect on your fighting abilities. And most importantly instead of getting upset and being salty with your enemies you will actually enjoy being sunk due to having challenging game and would congratulate your opponent, which means you will ALWAYS get pleasurable experience from the game no matter if you won or lost the fight.
Get the right attitude and not only your skill will improve, but also your gaming experience."

From top of my memory it was @Hilts on a snow who I tagged. Wasn't the first time and he's doing the right thing - sails what he can afford to lose and practices alot vs good PVPers. The guy is doing great. He was actually looking for a fight the way he acted. He is learning and every time we fight he gets craftier. The last battle (the one you have kindly described as "seal clubbing") he spoke back. We had a quick chat and I got his assurance that he will be back to kick my arse.
You have described him as a baby seal, but make no mistake. While he is lacking skill which will come later, you were witnessing a learning process of one of the future great PVPers. He will turn from prey into hunter sooner than you can run around the map. Mark my words.

Did  this caused any issues with PVP Leaderboard? Don't thinks so. But I sure as hell got more equal fights than ever before. People are out there, wanting to compete. Rewarding such desire is only natural.

Non tradeable paint to top 3 once a week is a good way to promote pvp.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 3

Koltes description of Hilts is exactly how every single one of us did learn, from trials and through all the OW iterations.

The more pvp, the more different opponents, the more different ships a player uses the more he learns.

• Like 2

Topic updated

Update

Hotfix 2 (07/21/2017)  Fun for everyone

• The exclusive content despite being a good idea is not received well by the players. Victory marks could converted from combat marks on all servers. Players of less competitive nations would be able to get access to victory marks using pve or pvp (but a bit slower).
  • Speed upgrades and skill books rebalanced (severe nerf) - total bonuses from speed upgrades and wood types won't exceed 22-23% (previously 45% which was too much)
    • Wood types speed characteristics slightly rebalanced as well
  • Caps for thickness, armor and sail hp increased by 5%
  • Victory marks will only be granted to captains with rank post captain and higher
  • Fix bug when forts and towers did not spawn in battles
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, admin said:
  • Speed upgrades and skill books rebalanced (severe nerf) - total bonuses from speed upgrades and wood types won't exceed 22-23% (previously 45% which was too much)

So now you made lv/wo mandatory in OWPvP too. Was it not enough that it was mandatory for PB and PvE?

17 minutes ago, admin said:

Wood types speed characteristics slightly rebalanced as well

Good changes ( haven't tested yet ) but can you please give us the actual numbers for wood types buff/debuff, please? Thank you for your effort.

The main problem i see is... now that speedboats are slower, their captains' tears won't dry so fast in the wind...

Edited by Captain Lust

11 minutes ago, admin said:

Topic updated

Update

• The exclusive content despite being a good idea is not received well by the players. Victory marks could converted from combat marks on all servers. Players of less competitive nations would be able to get access to victory marks using pve or pvp (but a bit slower).
  • Victory marks will only be granted to captains with rank post captain and higher

Thanks Admin. Very much. 

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Topic updated

Update

Really you cave into the cry babies in one week.  What the point of getting a win and busting your butt for one Victory mark when I can just grind some fleets.  You keep taking the things that make PvP and RvR special for the players that do them cause the lazy folks that don't do them want the same rewards we busted our arse to get.

The speed nerf was needed, but you need to remove the cap at 15 kt so that the fast ships designed to be fast can be fast and the other ships can do what they are better at.   Would be nice to see what these changes are going to be cause a lot of folks have spent a lot on crafting certain ships that might now be pretty much useless for what they where made for.

I didn't see an issue with the thickness, armor and HP cap being at 20%

What about the guys that fought in Shallow water port battles?  Post Captain is rank 7 (350 crew).   I can understand limiting who gets what cause of alts, but what about the guys that Brought Mortar brigs or fought in shallow waters and busted there buts?   They get nothing while the lazy arm chair Admirals that sit in ports gain victory marks for others hard work.  Think about dropping this down to maybe Rank three (120 crew) for the new guys that might fight in shallow water port battles and bring ships like the Mortar Brig when they can't bring line ships.

Bug fix are all ways a good thing.......