Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.3 - New event, PvP marks changes, changes to knowledge slots and other fixes

admin

19 hours ago, Qwolf said:

Greater risk must equal greater profit.

PvP is fun.  But PvE is fun for the people that like PvE.  Trading is fun for the people that like to trade, etc.  The difference is PvE and trading are very profitable with low risk.  PvP is very expensive with high risk.  I have to run missions and trade just to support my PvP habit because I lose so much time and money on PvP.  Consider this: 

Scenario 1:  I spend all night risking my ship trying to earn 10 or 20 of these new combat marks fighting players. If I'm lucky and I don't lose my ship,  maybe I'll earn a little gold (likely not enough to offset crew and damage); or

Scenario 2:  I spend all night running missions.  I sail 5 minutes from some port 300km from trouble and earn 50 combat marks and a heap of gold running missions.

Which do you chose?  You might chose PvP for a while, if that's what you enjoy doing, until you run out of gold and ships. 

PvP marks were the fair reward that changed the above scenario to make some sense.  I'm looking for balance.  Not PvP dominance or PvE dominance.  Using the Eve example, enormous profits could be made in nullsec for risky actions, or you could chip away in high sec and make a safe, but slow and steady profit.  Why can't we have that?  Its the reverse now.  Risky is not profitable.  Safe is profitable and has no risk.  Greater risk must equal greater profit.

You made good points, but consider the following. If you use PVE as a way to fund your PVP, why would you want them to nerf it? I would think the way it's setup now, if you are hammered in PVP, you have an easy and good option to turn to, to build up some funds and get back in the PVP game quickly.

Ok I did some test hunting last night, much to the US coastlines ire.  I chased and engaged 3 different people, 2 trader brigs, 1 with a trade lynx, 1 trade cutter.  

I sunk all off them except the NPC trade lynx in his fleet.  And this is what I got out of it...

6 combat marks TOTAL, and 13k in money and 141XP total .   

That isnt worth the 2 hours I went hunting.  I can make more than that solo running fleet missions in a Navy Brig. 

Both Combat marks and in money, AND xp.   It is a joke now to even think about PVPing let alone privateering hunting trade ships.   And I am not even seal clubbing them, I am sailing around in a Lynx, a LYNX!!!!!  8 WHOLE gun LYNX!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, springby said:

so you want to be able to farm millions in a lynx, killing 7th and 6th rates...? mkay...

you sir, has become spoiled.

Not spoiled just tired of the ship scale escalation that is Ships of the Line Online, sorry I mean Naval Action.

THE most common ship on the sea in this region is the Schooner, and the Brigs.   Yet we see more 4th rates and 5th rates than anything else.   

Dont be mad at me because I am sailing a proper privateering vessel.

• Like 4

I think the suprise implementation of the PvP mark change was a bit brutal to the real PVP clans that were not farming PVP marks and lost all the value of their marks overnight without warning.

I still think Pvp rewards need to be something different from PVE rewards. Perhaps putting them in the form of marks that buy ships was a bad idea. But PvP victories still should result in something special.  Just not restriction on all heavy frigate construction.  I'm just having trouble with the concept that a PvP fight and any two PVE fights are considered equal in value.

• Like 2

A lot of pvpers are unhappy with the loss of pvp marks because it gave them something extra for their endeavours.

I propose a new rating  system to run alongside the current rank system called Notoriety

Win a pvp fight and you get pvp points that go  towards an increase in rating. starting at something like harmless through average and up to (yes, you guessed it) Elite. Each rating  needing more than the next exponentially.

The higher the rated person you fight you get a lot more points you get so killing a mostly harmless hardly gives any progression unless you are similar rank

So you would be Master and Commander [enter name here] Dangerous

another idea was Chevrons at the side of your title like the xp in Totar war.

This would give pvpers something to work towards and be proud of, and seal clubbing less rewarding.

• Like 4

@admin any patch notes for today's update?

53 minutes ago, Elbizor said:

A lot of pvpers are unhappy with the loss of pvp marks because it gave them something extra for their endeavours.

I propose a new rating  system to run alongside the current rank system called Notoriety

Win a pvp fight and you get pvp points that go  towards an increase in rating. starting at something like harmless through average and up to (yes, you guessed it) Elite. Each rating  needing more than the next exponentially.

The higher the rated person you fight you get a lot more points you get so killing a mostly harmless hardly gives any progression unless you are similar rank

So you would be Master and Commander [enter name here] Dangerous

another idea was Chevrons at the side of your title like the xp in Totar war.

This would give pvpers something to work towards and be proud of, and seal clubbing less rewarding.

A good reputation system will fix this there.  So that you know if some one is known for sinking one nation over another and such and the reputation can effect your trade status with other nations so that you don't have to use a Smuggler flag if you as a player have good standing with that nation.

If ganking is such a problem, why not reduce the awards. If the battle rating is 2:1 or higher, the rewards the winning team get much lower. Someone gets an award for a kill and then someone else gets the cargo. But when it's 3:1 or 4:1 or more, those extra ships receive no rewards, not even if they caused damage. The only person that would gain anything, would be the person who sinks the ship. If it's such an unfair fight, don't award any marks, gold or experience, then you'll stop the 4 vs 1 ship combat and limit it to 1:1 or 2:1. 

• Like 2

I think the game is more pve than pvp now, but I also think its what most of the players want. So you cant blame the devs for making the game suit the majority of their customers. Unfortunately is doesn't suit me but I do have high hopes for the arena game :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PG Monkey said:

I think the game is more pve than pvp now, but I also think its what most of the players want. So you cant blame the devs for making the game suit the majority of their customers. Unfortunately is doesn't suit me but I do have high hopes for the arena game :)

Open up Freetowns to teleport and more PvP will happen. Who wants to sail all the way to the CTown to find a fight against the americans

• Like 1

Did someone noticed how are PvE missions balanced? After the wipe NPC enemies are not that easy to kill. You cannot go easy missions safely with higher class ship. I find more challenging and entertaining to kill solo a fleet of NPCs rather than fight solo ganking fleet of players - because coordinated group does not need skilled individuals. When players fight other players there is no game mechanic to avoid superior number advantage. You cannot force players to conduct "fair" fights. Devs removed game lobby so no-one can today compete in tournaments - the only place to compete fair way. 

Edited by Armored_Sheep
  • Like 1

I did not play on the test server where the various marks could be traded beteeen types..

Can anyone give me some guidance on what would be reasonable conversion rate between the new combat marks and conquest marks.?

Thanks in advance

23 hours ago, Liquicity said:

People PvP'd before wipe not for the rewards but because it's fun

If you're looking at PvP as a grind, something is wrong imo

no but I do want to look at pvp as a way of progression. and I do want it to have some sort of meaning other than just killing the other guys ship (which apparently is bad for the game)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rouleur said:

I did not play on the test server where the various marks could be traded beteeen types..

Can anyone give me some guidance on what would be reasonable conversion rate between the new combat marks and conquest marks.?

Thanks in advance

if you can trade 100 combat marks for 1 conquest mark its good. since you actually have to be there for a port battle to receive your pension. combat marks u just go kill ai.

1 hour ago, Blackjack McGee said:

Remember, PVP still allows you to capture enemy ships which is a huge bonus.  That alone is a good reason for PVP especially as people start sailing bigger ships.

why would I want their port battle built ships? their big fat slow tanky terds that they make for RVR? and no its not enough reason.

10 hours ago, Ole Pinelle said:

I totally agree that PvP should be rewarded more than PVE as it is now. But I am also for the approach that PvP is a means to an end, but not the prupose of the OW. The prupose of the OW should be the fun orientated immersion into the Age of Sails and RvR. So this would also mean, that the one who contributes most to the struggle of the nations, should be rewarded most and it should be balanced around this. If we could all make a good in-game fortune by sailing around and just looking for PvP, the OW would be without purpose and dead immediately. So you should be able to make living out of just sailing around and ganking weak traders and keeping a low profile as I privateer. But you should not be able to effort anything bigger than a 6th rate IMO and I understand that is currently provided by the game mechanics. Just needs more tweaking or another mechanic, where f.e. clans can issue "patrol-money", orders you can accept and patrol a certain grid a certain time? 

Perhaps your confused about the reason why the frigates were such a good ship for nations during the age of sail. the frigates were the work horses. frigate class would be your 4th/5th rates in game. the were used to sail around and kill traders and other frigates and on rare occasions even engaged ships of the line. the frigate captians out there are your pvp players. and for them the emersion into the open world is what we call PVP.

9 hours ago, Guruthos said:

First of all i do mainly play PvE but i do participate in PVP but not because of the rewards. i do it because it's fun.

What are the changes i noticed yesterday evening after the patch?

Situation before the patch: every hour someone asked for help because he got attacked for exemple in a cerberus by 3 or 4 surprise. yesterday evening i didn't see any of such calls for help. Per definition 4 vs 1 is still PvP. of course actually noone did something like that but if happend often. This was the reality of the most PVP happening cause ships are expensive and the permants even more. This kind of fight is not fun it's a grind. and grinding PvP should never be a part of a game cause many players get harmed and lose interest in a game.

I agree PVP is when you just look at rewads now is useless. a 1:2 rate is a bad joke. it should be between 1:5 to 1:10. under the contidtion the battle rating is the same. if you jump in with 4 surprise against a cerberus you should literaly get nothing. max. 1 mark for the one who made a kill. but if you sink a first rate with a suprise you reward should be insane high so you can buy imiditaly 2 or 3 new surprises. make an expential br curve and increase the rewards for pvp drasticly so ganking wouldn't mean any profit but really fighting does. and include a reward for the one who lost aswell so people actually stay and fight.

guys idk if you new this but the rewards for killing a player are split among the people with kill/assits. so what your saying about 4 suprises killing one cerbus. that cerb was worth 3 pvp marks. that means that one person prolly got 2 marks for the kill and 1 person got 1 mark for the assists. the other 2 surprises captains got nothing. so the mechanic your talking about was already somewhat in place. its was very much so a waste of time for 4 surprises to kill one cerbus. and now that pvp marks are gone its even more a waste of time.

and the reason you didn't hear any calls out for help is because many of your pvpers just quit yesterday... so they just went back to pvp games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Capture and sell them or trade for cq marks?

what blooming idiot would give conquest marks for a ship.......... when he can use those same conquest marks to make his own ship the way he wants it made?

Edited by King of Crowns

25 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

what blooming idiot would give conquest marks for a ship.......... when he can use those same conquest marks to make his own ship the way he wants it made?

A player that doesn't give a damn about crafting, has no crafting level, and knows a cool beans crafter that will deliver ?

No idea...

• Like 3