Game-Labs Forum

I've always taken steam reviews with a massive pile of salt, because a lot of them are exactly that... Massive piles of salt. Especially when it comes to early access/work in progress games. 

Buuuuut, on the same token some of the negativity this game is getting isn't entirely unwarranted. The current incarnation of it is too grindy, and the NPE leaves a lot to be desired. Even as an experience player I've been having some trouble getting motivated to get back into the game, even though overall I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Never seen the point in reviewing an unfinished game. While I may not agree with everything that the devs are doing I can't see the benefit to anyone in reviewing an unfinished product.

I have a review that I made a good long time ago, and I did mention some negative things about the game, but I made it every clear this is an EA of a game still in development and many of these things are expected.   Though all that said my review still was a thumbs up. I found folks that make a review that isn't negative and still give thumbs down.   Many of them have hardly a days worth of play time too and more made there review off friends and others.

As others I have never used the reviews for buying a game on steam.

I think the problem here is you have two different crowds in the same game. Half of the people that have tried this game should have waited for the Arena game. For the other half of us, we wouldn't trade the OW experience for anything, though we would like some tweaks. I think a lot of people buy into this expecting to sail an Iowa class battleship in three days, and are sorely disappointed... especially now with how much more difficult the grind has become. Arena will be a godsend for those who are addicted to the incredible PvP experience to be had in this game but with no grind attached.

Edited by Werewolf
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Otto Kohl said:

Yeah, sure. Don't forget to mention we should be domoted/banned.

Before this happens. Could you answer some questions Captain

One of your clan members was already completely banned from game for death threats to players and devs - do you support your clan members who are sending death threats? What is your view on it? Would you or your leadership provide an official statement on that? 

• Like 11

Well and who gives a shit about steam reviews? There are always hater who spam their useless opinion with multible accounts ... most of the reviews dont even have any opinion just "well this is shit because i said so ... or i dont like gay character xyz ... or someone sunk my pickle ;( now i hate the world ... i think the game is bad because i wanna have friends and be in a group ..." and the list is a lot bigger ... If people actually post something usefull in Steam please inform me.

1 hour ago, admin said:

One of your clan members was already completely banned from game for death threats to players and devs - do you support your clan members who are sending death threats? What is your view on it? Would you or your leadership provide an official statement on that? 

That's like blaming all Germans for actions of a few in world war two! It's ridiculous.

Or blaming all Daines for the actions of a few Dane players who exploited the dupe bug!!

Do I need to keep adding examples?

If any player makes death threats against anyone, ban him/her! I don't see how the admin team now lump the blame on his clan? Admin have you asked his/her fellow pirates if they support the views of an idiot!! Or the server said player plays on???

Iv got to say, this is the most ridiculous thing iv ever seen you post. I'm shocked, you now blame the many for the actions of the few?!? 

Ps. How does a clan know if someone is banned! It just shows that player is offline?? 

Also, may I ask why this is being put in the public domain? It's like your trying to stir up more sorry hatred!

*edit - ban and report morrons to the authoritys who behave like that

Edited by monk33y
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lonar said:

Well and who gives a shit about steam reviews? There are always hater who spam their useless opinion with multible accounts ... most of the reviews dont even have any opinion just "well this is shit because i said so ... or i dont like gay character xyz ... or someone sunk my pickle ;( now i hate the world ... i think the game is bad because i wanna have friends and be in a group ..." and the list is a lot bigger ... If people actually post something usefull in Steam please inform me.

People sort it out and look at the most helpful section. If you do that some of the reviews are pretty damning

11 hours ago, maturin said:

Most of the negative reviews are butthurt SORRY scrubs

2 hours ago, admin said:

Getting down to 37% isn't just from SORRY alone. Overtime it's just gone lower and lower. Let's get back to the actual issue here.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Aventador said:

Getting down to 37% isn't just from SORRY alone. Overtime it's just gone lower and lower. Let's get back to the actual issue here.

Do the math on the number of recent reviews, and remember to factor in the dozen or so alts of LV alone. And the fact that a group of people can flag all positive reviews to get them hidden.

13 hours ago, Aventador said:

The overall consensus of these negative reviews is that the game has turned into a job. In some aspects I agree with them and in some I don't. @admin In light of all these negative reviews, what are your plans to get the reviews positive again?

Can we all get back to the topic? I would appreciate an answer from the devs. I used to love this game. I want to know if the devs will keep going the direction they chose to take with the wipe or if they will take into account the casual players reviews.

44 minutes ago, rediii said:

The thing in my oppinion is that negative voices are the loudest. People enjoying the game actually don't look at the reviews anymore. They are busy playing the game. and some are actually true like no tutorial, bad UI for example but it's still bullshit that they even write that reviews since it's EA

I think you are right rediii, but I also think the forum is filled with the opinion from the hardcore players. For sure, there is plenty of posts from players telling the devs they are quitting because of what the game became, but those posts are always demolished by hardcore players telling that those casual players are carebear and whining babies. I just hope the devs will still listen to those casual players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aventador said:

Most players are adressing real problems. My own experience is that the game has gone from very, very good to mediocre/boring since march 2016. Only improvements has been the damagae models but thats about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rediii said:

There are 2 different things in my oppinion.

1. players who write reviews and adress real problems which are

• lack of tutorial
  • UI
  • hard learning curve
  • grind, although grind is important for many players (it gives them a target to reach)

2. players who write reviews and whine about

• the wipe
  • that you actually need to do something now to get big ships (what is important and good at the moment. Loosing big ships has to hurt to understand their value)
  • devs
  • stupid stuff
  • they lost something
  • stuff takes time to achieve

I will keep telling 2. that they are wrong. The games target isn't to be arcade like skull and bones will be it is designed to be a bit like eve and hard. This is actually the point why I play this game. If everything would be easy to achieve i would lose interest REALY fast. The new value of ships is a realy nice feeling. sailing a 3rd rate already feels special and you know that you have put effort into your ship.

Arcade isnt the same as being unable to get into large battles nor is arcade the same as not using a lot of hours before getting into combat. Being unable to purchase guns unless you grind pve ships for weeks on end is not the same as thinking arcadish. 

Many hard core players are out of hand here. I love pvp but this is not the same as fancing a quick shoot em out. NA has this excellent combat system but fail to bring pvp to the table somehow...

• Like 4

And somehow the basics have been forgotten:

You rank up - get ships - build ship - fight with them... Now its all about trading. Line ships are limited to members of big clans. Its like that the average single player are limited to some the game aspects and key aspects. And if they complain they are just overssen as being arcade players. Please put some arguments on the table when a MAJORITY of the player base are complaining about the grinding levels that are simply too high for most.

They should make a hard core server instead where grind is trippled or so and then leave the PvP server as something like march 2016... ;-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

There are 2 different things in my oppinion.

1. players who write reviews and adress real problems which are

• lack of tutorial
  • UI
  • hard learning curve
  • grind, although grind is important for many players (it gives them a target to reach)

2. players who write reviews and whine about

• the wipe
  • that you actually need to do something now to get big ships (what is important and good at the moment. Loosing big ships has to hurt to understand their value)
  • devs
  • stupid stuff
  • they lost something
  • stuff takes time to achieve

I will keep telling 2. that they are wrong. The games target isn't to be arcade like skull and bones will be it is designed to be a bit like eve and hard. This is actually the point why I play this game. If everything would be easy to achieve i would lose interest REALY fast. The new value of ships is a realy nice feeling. sailing a 3rd rate already feels special and you know that you have put effort into your ship.

I totally agree with you with constructive reviews being essential.

I don't agree with the grinding part though. For me, the grinding should be for those who want to gain extra gold or xp on the "side". In other words, it should not be mandatory. I also don't think the game was arcade before the wipe. The realism in battles was great. Sure, their was some issues with the durability system and I'm glad they got rid of it. But I think it is just in our own nature or philosophy and that we could not reach an agreement on those particular points. This is ok, everyone has his opinion! I don't know exactly how the devs can take all those opinions into account though... I'm glad I'm not in their shoes!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rediii said:

pvp is on the table you just don't do it.

If i want pvp i can get it in 5 minutes.

You can call it a failed eco or "not arcade" in your sense. But if ships are worth nothing and everyone can throw ships around like pre patch it's arcade for me and i don't see any value in ships.

No I cant. I need to make 150.000 gold before I can make a workshop in order to produce guns so I can equip my ships. In order to do this I need to grind A LOT. I lost my trader and used many, many hours to equip a Surprise. Then I need to make Pve Grinding. If I loose my Surprise, I need to make a new ship but this will take forever in a cutter. This means no PvP for me. And the ship I like the most to play: 3rd rates and 2nd rates is way out of sight as a single player. Its just not gonna happen. 

So please tell me: why should I waste my good time to fill a boring OW?

• Like 5

FWIW Jingles ("high" profile gamer/youtuber of sorts) has mentioned Naval Action two days ago (vid link).

One of his videos was what actually brought me into this game during Sea Trials, and since he hasn't said anything about NA in two years his views may be indicative of what many people will think about NA "on first touch" - and it echoes the negative Steam reviews.

• Like 4

@admin brought up a few issues he was seeing with the game, reviews and retention a couple weeks ago.  My response I feel was an adequate reply to the questions he asked.  I have yet to get a reply in return.  As I said in that post, I probably did waste my time.

Admin's question to Otto about SORRY and their reviews perfectly sums up this situation for me.  While I certainly do not support anyone making death threats to the devs or in-game mods, the 20 or so negative reviews that are supposed to be by only SORRY members alone are just the recent crop of bad reviews.  They've been progressively getting worse and worse over the past year or so.  Blaming one clan of people is naive and shows a total lack of understanding as to why there are so many negative reviews.  Head in sand.

The first week of the patch I was kinda excited seeing so many people back and the effects of the actual grind seemed to escape me.  Now we're into week 2+ and I'm already starting to feel that lack of desire to do the sheer amount of effort it takes to make this absurd economy work and the even more absurd ship knowledge tree grind.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, rediii said:

I don't understand why you do that?

You equip a suprise for pvp and put all your gold in it even if you know the risk to lose all you got until that point. You should have rather equiped your indef or another ship which is actually good for pve. You need to build wealth first so you don't get set back to 0 if you lose something.

Buy something with a buy contract on the market. After that you sell that same thing with a sell contract on the market.

Buy something, craft it to something and sell it again.

Like i said. Built myself a first rate only with own materials/ressources. CM obviously from the clan but that changes with time. So it is gonna happen, you just use the wrong ways to make money.

btw: i didn't sail a trader for more than a week now. I have some mines but i only get ressources we could lose someday atm so no money generation there

I think you don't get his point : He wants to PVP with his surprise, NOT to grind PVE in indefatigable. We all get it, you can go PVP if you grind PVE enough, but that's not what we are interested in...

Steam reviews of competitive MMO games are worthless.  Most are not reviews of gameplay, but personal vendettas stemming from perceived disadvantages in competitive play.  Social aspect turns MMO steam reviews into toxic cesspool.

• Like 1