Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.2 - Changes to mission, crafting, ROE and other fixes

admin

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Grietje van Dijk, PVP EU, Dutch.

I know it is randomly available from Oranjestad and Fort Zoutman but player contracts already bidding on this item so.. :mellow:

Outbid them ? Just an idea.

16 minutes ago, Hodo said:

So they are almost 2/3rd the cost if not less right there. 

What I read as "the crafting recipe need's an update".

They can haul more cargo, ok, but they only have round-about half the crew then their counterparts. For the TLynx it may not be an issue, but for the other I'd consider this a handicap.

Edited by AlteSocken
removed a typo

19 minutes ago, Hodo said:

No the T-Lynx is now the hunting ship of choice, 13+kn base speed, 8 guns, 20 crew... 500 cargo space.  

You run long guns and snipe masts you can wreck ships.

Is it theory crafting or experiance talking. Bcs;

1. 8 long cannons put on tlynx will considarebly slower him.

2. you got 20 man crew and open deck at the same time, so if you get closer the mediocre enemy wil shoot one broadside of grape and insta win.

3.If you stay in a range gl on penetrating.masts, even if you demasts top they will repair while chaining you to death.

4. to be able to repair chained sails you would need repairs-- that is another - to speed , not so fast anymore...

5. who are you goinmg to hunt with lynx best angles of sail?;p

• Like 2

I remember the derision that greeted my request in Nation chat for someone to craft me 4lb longs for my Lynx. But it only takes a few moments looking at the stats to see they're perfect for a light, fast ship, especially one intended for trader hunting. #noregrets

• Like 2

Well, traders have no morale out of boarding, so analogy fall short :( . They won't simply cower at the sight of "death" or they won't back down from defending the interests of the owner, they shall defend the riches to the last bit ( literally! ).

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

My issue is this patch killed the 7th rate privateer market for ships.  I mean really?  now I have to sail a Brig classed ship or bigger just to hunt Trader brigs, are you kidding? 

Is this because traders can be armed now?

This change certainly doesn't affecting capping AI traders, they are as easy as ever and barely seem to remember they have guns on their decks. If you stay inside the rear quarters of the stern they won't try to maneuver to fire.

I spent yesterday repositioning and doing some trading so haven't tried capping a player trader yet, but if them having guns means they try to turn and fight me rather than run, then as far as I'm concerned that's a win. And I just got a Copper Plating drop for my fir/fir trader hunter, so, heh, yeah baby scream at me all you like I'll just be here on your stern taking down your armor with my 4lb longs.

Ewww that got a little gross... sorry.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hodo said:

now I have to sail a Brig classed ship or bigger just to hunt Trader brigs,

Hmm, yesterday I captured a TBrigg with my NPC-Shop Pickle ... met some resistance, but it was not that difficult after all.

Maybe because it was a NPC?

3 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You mean a video game called Naval Action based on naval combat?  How odd that I should expect people to want to engage in combat, yes....

You just don't get the point! Do you?

The opinion of your kind of player (the almighty "hardcore" players) about how PVP should be (one dura, expensive ships, expensive repair etc. etc.) has induced the majority of people playing this game to prefer running, hiding, sticking to safe waters, engaging in safer activities (and - in general - entering PVP in fights only they are almost sure to win, that means when they have a clear number or ship superiority). 

Your reaction to this objective situation is blaming other players for not being brave enough.

But this is an idle exercise, since players just play the game as they prefer and Devs can change only game mechanics, not the way people react to game mechanics!

Edited by victor
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, victor said:

But this is an idle exercise, since players just play the game as they prefer and Devs can change only game mechanics, not the way people react to game mechanics!

This is very true. Whatever incentives have been put up the open end mechanics allow all to find their place if they have no interest in some parts of the... OW politics, rvr, ego shooter combat type of txicity, etc. To some is some less sailed remote cluster of regions and all is fine.

But... nothing assures that a company of merry men won't pass through delivering a good dose of PvP.

All opinions are valid and we do sure test a lot of different options. Some we like more, others not so much.

I saw the same "aversion" with 5 duras. The same aversion in no loss Sea Trials ( damn it, it even had devs had to code a shrinking circle so ppl didn't run away ). I don't think it is exclusive to this patch.

• Like 2

Victor, maybe I understand your point, but just do not agree with it?   Just because that is YOUR opinion, does NOT mean its the be all/end all truth.  

Yes, I BELIEVE that people tend to be too used to sailing large, fail-fit ships....  

1 hour ago, AlteSocken said:

Hmm, yesterday I captured a TBrigg with my NPC-Shop Pickle ... met some resistance, but it was not that difficult after all.

Maybe because it was a NPC?

NPC traders are really not a challenge at all. I think of them as ATM machines.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

What resource is it ? What server ? What nation ?

For example PvP EU: Grietje van Dijk, Crooked Cedar (available at one port?), Cartahena Tar (available at one port?) - with current requirement to sail to Freeport outposts aswell (disabled teleports) it requires absurd ammount of time just to find that every port you can find it in has NOTHING - not to mention risk of being captured as you need to sail with a trader (smuggler flag enabled) into enemy ports in sometimes heavily contested areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

Yeah AI traders are always easy, I am talking players in trade ships.  The balance is all off.  Before a Player running a trade ship had to make a choice run a better armed slower but more expensive trade ship like the LGV, or run a faster smaller unarmed ship like the Trader Brig.   Or run something in the middle like the Trader Snow.  

Don't the Armed Trader ships still have the problem of tiny crews trying to man 20 guns?  

Unless the trader brig is getting extra crew a 60 man 20 gun trader brig isn't going to be firing all that often.

10 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

1. 1vs2 with weak masts, that 1 could take easy victory by shooting masts, especially if his opponents did not shoot masts.  Skill or just broken game?  Answer: Broken game.

What?

1.1. 1vs2 with strong masts.  Ask from yourself, what would you do?  Which one needs more skill?

What!? Are you seriously trying to quiz me in some way? Which ships? What weight of guns? Who has weather gauge? Is one of the RamJB? What is the point of this uselessly vague question?

2. Demasting should be a tool, a good player knows when to use it.  It should not be an answer in every possible situation.

I didn't say otherwise. You keep attacking things I never said. Can you please not do that? It's hard to have a productive discussion with someone who keeps relying on strawmen to knock down.

2.1. Consitution vs Java, Constitution vs Surprise, would be nice if demasting would be an option for Constitution.  BUT NOT FOR THE SURPRISE.

I agree that with lighter guns against a "super frigate," demasting should be very difficult and an unreliable tactic, but not impossible. If the Constitution's captain is a nimrod and the Surprise's captain is a good sailor, a good gunner, and very patient, the game should reward the better player not the richer player.

It's odd that you would pick Constitution vs Java, as demasting prevention was actually considered by the American captain and shaped the course of the battle. Considering that I want demasting to be viable when talking about ships of similar class, I only see this as evidence that I am correct.

2.2. Victory vs Surprise, would be nice if demasting would be an option for Victory.  BUT NOT FOR THE SURPRISE.

Now you're just getting absurd.

2.3. Search you Naval Action folder.  There are files that specify every ship in the game.  You do not have to test how many shots it takes, you can calculate it.

This is disingenuous. If you have done any of that, you'd be arguing with numbers and not ridiculous scenarios that you have contrived to make me look silly.

FYI, The game has chains shots as well.

Chain shot is for damaging sails/rigging. What does that have to do with anything?

FYI2, Grapes have been useless, as fast victory players have been asking so high crew damage for round shot.  Once again, skill cap must be lower for these guys.

I support grape being as deadly as feels authentic and doesn't completely unbalance the game. Generally-speaking, history provides a decent framework for this as ships didn't rely on it exclusively, nor did they leave it at home. But what does this have to do with demast meta?

Edited by greybuscat
sloppy formatting

Not to belabor a point, but I still don't see why AI traders have to be fully armed to their maximum capability. They don't always have full holds, so why always full gun compliment?

I know the answer to this, of course, but I refuse to accept that after 2+ years, no one thought it might be nice if ships didn't have to have full guns or no guns on a deck. Ideally, you should let us manually place guns, so AI traders can have a random pick from one of several possible loadouts.

Variety is the spice of life in a sandbox, and giving us more granular control over our ships would only make the game better.

Edited by greybuscat
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, greybuscat said:

Not to belabor a point, but I still don't see why AI traders have to be fully armed to their maximum capability. They don't always have full holds, so why always full gun compliment?

I know the answer to this, of course, but I refuse to accept that after 2+ years, no one thought it might be nice if ships didn't have to have full guns or no guns on a deck. Ideally, you should let us manually place guns, so AI traders can have a random pick from one of several possible loadouts.

Variety is the spice of life in a sandbox, and giving us more granular control over our ships would only make the game better.

Enemy AI fleets would only become weaker from this or best case scenario, stay the same.  I don't run around in anything less than the best guns my ships can carry, why should AI?