Game-Labs Forum

General Opinions from the Community  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sail a first rate halfway or all the way across the map for a port battle?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you change your nation to be closer to key resources if these changes were applied?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think this patch makes it harder or easier for new players?

• Harder
    • Easier
  4. 4. Would you leave the game over these changes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

additional information on the patch

In the spirit of the goal - more people to the open world the following additional changes will be deployed.

1. Resources transport from FT to FT - will be disabled (might return for a battle related consumable e.g. 25 pve marks or 2 pvp marks)
  2. Ship transport from FT to FT - will be disabled (might return for a battle related consumable eg. 25 pve marks or 2pvp marks)
  3. Port missions will provide farming options only for the first 1-3 levels. 
  4. Small battles and all other sorts of lobby events will be removed
  5. PVE challenges will be temporarily disabled (will be a foundation for tutorials in the future)
  6. NPCs will provide ships for players to buy in almost all ports (but unlike old system they will be 2-3x more expensive than crafted ones).
  7. Captured NPC ships will be mostly useless and will not be a source of income (through ship or cannon sales)

Update 2 on communication with enemies

• global chat will be removed
  • Communication with enemies will be removed as well (both in the OW and instances)
  • Toxicity in national chats will be worked on as before (based on reports) 

Dear @admin, Most of what you have introduced so far will bring more people out into the open world. There are a few things that are concerning though. Number one is the resources transport. I understand that this will bring more people out into the open world but removing this feature all together is a mistake. Instead you should change the amount of deliveries you can have and how much weight you can put in each. So instead of 5 deliveries with a thousand weight in each do 3 deliveries with 500 in each. This will force people who want something done quickly to sail their materials instead of sending them. Number two is the ship transport. This is another example of a feature that shouldn't be removed all together. Removing small battles and teleporting fleet is a good step but do not remove the tow feature. Limit the amount of ships and increase prices on the tow instead of getting rid of it. Lets say I am a French. I have a L'Ocean in Fort Royal. The Spanish push over Louisiana and I somehow have to sail my L'Ocean from Fort Royal to New Orleans. This would take hours and hours to do and then I might have to sail it all the way back. A majority of the people won't do this though and that port would just be handed to the Spanish. Removing the ship tow would remove a lot of presence from many nations around the map and would just create blobs. Number three is the port missions for noobs and capping npc ships. The grind to get to Rear Admiral is something that I remember very well. It was where I met my clan and teamed up with people who I still talk with on a daily basis today. Capping npc ships was also one of my main sources of income at the time before I learned trading and what resources were valuable. It took me long after the first 3 levels to learn where things were and how to effectively make money. So I hope you keep the port missions for higher ranks and keep capping npc ships worth something. Number 4 is the communication part. We understand that moderating bickering enemies or racists or whatever it may be is annoying and the community gets annoyed with it as well. I would be okay with eliminating global chat but I would keep the chat between players. There are many people with friends in enemy nations that talk to each other or salute each other at sea that would end if you took out the communication between players. 

I hope you take these things into consideration.

• Like 7

Would you sail a first rate halfway or all the way across the map for a port battle?

I have put yes but bad google translate, i will say no , no possible to change...

Ok for to be sure you understand what i say, full travel for everyone!

Edited by n_Ka
bad comprehenssion

The old front-lines in RvR fighting were a lot more interesting than the current campaigns over detached regions. Resources and refits should be redistributed accordingly, but if they are I have no issue with the proposed changes except for the removal of global chat and battle chat. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

The old front-lines in RvR fighting were a lot more interesting than the current campaigns over detached regions. Resources and refits should be redistributed accordingly, but if they are I have no issue with the proposed changes except for the removal of global chat and battle chat. 

I agree, but the information give to us suggests that resources and regional bonus distribution is not changing, which is very concerning.

6 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

The old front lines and rvr fighting were with completely different mechanics. The flags limited how far you could go and you could only take one port at a time. There was also a much larger player base at that time.

• Like 3

...This is exactly why I posted this in the other thread.

Just as a reality check that we'd might need, let's not walk into this iteration of the game with the expectation to keep doing what we're currently doing - building perfect 1st rates with relative ease, taking part in port battles on the other side of the map, running an endless supply of catered missions, and so on.

Manage your expectations.

47 minutes ago, Aventador said:

Dear @admin, Most of what you have introduced so far will bring more people out into the open world. There are a few things that are concerning though. Number one is the resources transport. I understand that this will bring more people out into the open world but removing this feature all together is a mistake. Instead you should change the amount of deliveries you can have and how much weight you can put in each. So instead of 5 deliveries with a thousand weight in each do 3 deliveries with 500 in each. This will force people who want something done quickly to sail their materials instead of sending them. Number two is the ship transport. This is another example of a feature that shouldn't be removed all together. Removing small battles and teleporting fleet is a good step but do not remove the tow feature. Limit the amount of ships and increase prices on the tow instead of getting rid of it. Lets say I am a French. I have a L'Ocean in Fort Royal. The Spanish push over Louisiana and I somehow have to sail my L'Ocean from Fort Royal to New Orleans. This would take hours and hours to do and then I might have to sail it all the way back. A majority of the people won't do this though and that port would just be handed to the Spanish. Removing the ship tow would remove a lot of presence from many nations around the map and would just create blobs. Number three is the port missions for noobs and capping npc ships. The grind to get to Rear Admiral is something that I remember very well. It was where I met my clan and teamed up with people who I still talk with on a daily basis today. Capping npc ships was also one of my main sources of income at the time before I learned trading and what resources were valuable. It took me long after the first 3 levels to learn where things were and how to effectively make money. So I hope you keep the port missions for higher ranks and keep capping npc ships worth something. Number 4 is the communication part. We understand that moderating bickering enemies or racists or whatever it may be is annoying and the community gets annoyed with it as well. I would be okay with eliminating global chat but I would keep the chat between players. There are many people with friends in enemy nations that talk to each other or salute each other at sea that would end if you took out the communication between players. 

I hope you take these things into consideration.

1.Lol...if you sail 1st rate from FT to NO, you didnt understand something in this game :)

How often Denmark-Norway attacked Bermudas? 8 times?  Check the distance..Lost each time, few times very very close PBs, but each time worth it.

Think about it :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Aventador said:

The old front lines and rvr fighting were with completely different mechanics. The flags limited how far you could go and you could only take one port at a time. There was also a much larger player base at that time.

As for the mechanics, certainly. And we need some of the limitations of flags back. Most conquest should be in adjacent regions in my opinion. Although there should be possibilities (expensive) to conquer further away than that. Conquest of regions should change too. 

As far as population goes, the game needs to be developed with a larger population in mind than what we currently have.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fenris said:

1.Lol...if you sail 1st rate from FT to NO, you didnt understand something in this game :)

How often Denmark-Norway attacked Bermudas? 8 times?  Check the distance..Lost each time, few times very very close PBs, but each time worth it.

Think about it :)

Wow sailing afk in a straight line with no enemies in sight does sound hard... try sailing from Christiansted to Western Florida in a first rate and tell me how that goes

12 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

As for the mechanics, certainly. And we need some of the limitations of flags back. Most conquest should be in adjacent regions in my opinion. Although there should be possibilities (expensive) to conquer further away than that. Conquest of regions should change too. 

As far as population goes, the game needs to be developed with a larger population in mind than what we currently have.

I agree with you but with Nations like Denmark, Sweden, and the US we just don't have any starting regions outside our little bubble. GB,France, and Spain have regions all over the map

( can't vote as everything is mandatory )

1 - I don't understand the first question. It is very against logistics needed for successful conquest. Why would a fleet sail across the map when you can conquer regions close by and do "region hopping" ?

2 -  is still dependent on map reset and resources being reworked as announced, so...Yes, I guess.

3 - Again I do not understand. Easier or harder in comparison to what !?... The new players will play the changed game. End of. It will be what it is. But I also say that we all should be reset fully and Rank progression will not be even remotely close to what many of us experienced in the various iterations. I will say they will become better while ranking up as they HAVE to present results. We simply had to do damage.

4 - No. Quite the opposite.

( suggestion, make the answers not mandatory )

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

( can't vote as everything is mandatory )

1 - I don't understand the first question. It is very against logistics needed for successful conquest. Why would a fleet sail across the map when you can conquer regions close by and do "region hopping" ?

2 -  is still dependent on map reset and resources being reworked as announced, so...Yes, I guess.

3 - Again I do not understand. Easier or harder in comparison to what !?... The new players will play the changed game. End of. It will be what it is. But I also say that we all should be reset fully and Rank progression will not be even remotely close to what many of us experienced in the various iterations. I will say they will become better while ranking up as they HAVE to present results. We simply had to do damage.

4 - No. Quite the opposite.

( suggestion, make the answers not mandatory )

Regarding 1) if you are France, the majority of your territory is on the eastern end of the map, but after the last map reset  France also had the New Orleans region.  Should France leave that region defenseless because it is so far away? As some have pointed out, GB also has far flung territories and Spain starts out even more spread out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:

I'll agree on this.  I kinda liked the "island hopping" of the conquest flag system.  It's kinda bullshit that the US can go down to Santa Domingo and raise hostility when we have nothing nearby, same goes for you guys at Wilmington.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chijohnaok said:

Regarding 1) if you are France, the majority of your territory is on the eastern end of the map, but after the last map reset  France also had the New Orleans region.  Should France leave that region defenseless because it is so far away?

Well they could make an outpost there and craft ships in that place or just buy some random ones from the NPC (maybe they will be actually somewhat useful).

Nevertheless I think the map is wayyyyy too big to make enjoyable gameplay possible without shiptowing in some form.

Update 2 on communication with enemies

• global chat will be removed
  • Communication with enemies will be removed as well (both in the OW and instances)
  • Toxicity in national chats will be worked on as before (based on reports) 

I guess thats just a try of the devs to deal with all the negative reviews about Mods and bans. I hate this change and thought most people were bitching about getting banned and having their posts deleted on the forums, not ingame.

Edited by Jon Snow lets go

Why disable chat with the enemy? It's really good feature. If someone wants to disable it - there should be an option. However.... I want to speak with ppl I fight. We are all gentlemen after all and there should be an option for that as well. Don't see why this is even considered good move.

29 minutes ago, Chijohnaok said:

Regarding 1) if you are France, the majority of your territory is on the eastern end of the map, but after the last map reset  France also had the New Orleans region.  Should France leave that region defenseless because it is so far away? As some have pointed out, GB also has far flung territories and Spain starts out even more spread out. 

Well, it sounds like a pretty good system if excessive and/or disjointed expansion is more difficult to maintain. Whether or not the starting conditions are lenient in that regard matters less.

Quite looking forward to trying it, alot of the changes feel like they're building up to a more realistic scenario (instead of teleport attacks across the entire map, or flags determining what ports you were allowed to attack).

1 hour ago, Chijohnaok said:

You're only as strong as what you can secure, right?  Isnt that what we've always told Spain?

If they keep the 46 hours port battle thing than you don't don't have to sail across map.  If you have a close out post you tow it a head of time. I'm sorry if you don't have ships set up in that area your to spread out and shouldn't control those regions.  Pluss the game is to be designed with a larger population than we have so you should't have to be the same guys fighting port battles every time over and over (like on PvP2) 

3 hours ago, Chijohnaok said:

This where a larger population comes in handy and you can have certain clans that stay in certain regions.   With a key larger pop of a more active game this shouldn't be an issue.  This is why you should encourage every one to come to port battles that can instead of just the same ELITE GUYS over and over and over.  One of the reasons I really liked the land grant every one comlained about for those that went to the port battles.  While others could use the same area resources at a higher cost, it gave incentive for more people to show up at port battles and defend or atack and it rewarded the guys that actually did all the hard work and not just the guys that log in and ride there coat tails by using those captured held ports.  These are the same guys that long and and complain, "Oh we lost such and such."  All the while you have never seen them at a port battle or helping grind down or up a region for port battles.  Though it seems to be all your fault for them not being able to use that port any more.   So yah I thought it was a great concept, just think the devs should of brought it up after this patch not while we are all patch/content starved and want a bone or something.   This 5 months every patch is going to kill the game if they keep it up .  I mean major content yes, but there should be small patches every other month and such and not just hot fixes.

• Like 2

Just now, Aventador said:

Towing and teleporting won't be a thing which is why i'm suggesting that they keep it on.

Yah I been away from the game the last few days cause of waiting on the patch.  Didn't see the update about that until after I posted.  Hmmmmmm they really should mark the changes to those post when they make them.

I'll be honest if they remove it from even your Nation ports it's going to kill the casuals players.  They all ready removed the send to outpost after battles for ships and such.  Well glad I'm a Pirate now....guess I'll just capture ships and not even worry about any RvR in this game.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chijohnaok said:

Gotcha.

Then yes I will in advance. ( especially due to be actually going to play France for the next testing iteration ). Like many times before, even when there was no TP. It is not new for many of us so not shocked at all.

I do plan all my outposts do cover all. Squadron of ships adequate to multiple situations. Lots of sailing indeed but pays off.

Some got comfortable. Others kept their own discipline and planning their cruises with objective in mind. One day one might spend an hour sailing resources. The other day might be commerce raiding, and on the other jumping a Conquest battle.

The hasty "want it all now" doctrine is what I perceive is being split away for a second game.

• Like 1

Without teleports two things will happen.

1. No one wants to craft ships anymore, because it is a huge time sink. Without enough ships, there will be no action, neither on the OW nor in port battles because no one wants to lose the precious 1 durability ships.

2. Port battles, the only high-end content the game offers right now, will be (even more!) restricted to the hard core games that are willing to take up the huge amount of time to sail ships accross the caribean. This will slowly depreciate the player base. New players are left alone. The game dies a slow death.

• Like 1

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong.

How did we even craft ships back then ? How did we even organize fleets that had ships sailing from all over and meet at a given point ?

Port battles is not the high-end content, it is a battle instance linked to Conquest. If I intercept your rated ship before you reach your PB, it is high end content as well.

Or if I intercept your transport ship full of materials en route to a naval base for crafting a PB ship. That's high end content as well.

Or if I take the time to assemble a couple PB rated ships for you to use. That's high end content as well :)

Well, I'm not the arena type so I am really biased towards open world activities.

• Like 1