Game-Labs Forum

Testbed: Content patch - 9.98 deployed

admin

34 minutes ago, sterner said:

Prices in admiralty are not final. It is for only testing purposes. We would like to introduce the system. Later we are going to fill admiralty, tune marks drop and prices.

Adding cosmetic items would be cool too! Like special paints, Figureheads, The Ability to rename a ship. 

I realise cosmetic items wouldn't be a priority right now (More important things to take care of ofcourse), but cosmetics changes really help players feel "connected" to their ships. A huge + in my book atleast.

Can you tell us if there are any plans to introduce stuff like that? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TommyShelby said:

Adding cosmetic items would be cool too! Like special paints, Figureheads, The Ability to rename a ship. 

I realise cosmetic items wouldn't be a priority right now (More important things to take care of ofcourse), buut cosmetics changes really help players feel "connected" to their ships. A huge + in my book atleast.

As much as I like shiny stuff that makes my ship unique. But aren't we supposed to have as much mental distance to our ship as possible. If we get to connected who would want to fight? 

Edited by z4ys

7 hours ago, TommyShelby said:

I realise cosmetic items wouldn't be a priority right now (More important things to take care of ofcourse), but cosmetics changes really help players feel "connected" to their ships. A huge + in my book atleast.

Have you looked at the testbed shop?

10 hours ago, ajffighter86 said:

Curse me, I'm about to agree with LV here.

I mean, the ONLY ships people bring into port battles these days are the most heavily armored beasts of ships they can craft. (okay, maybe someone reading this is that one guy who doesn't, but try bringing a teak or fir ship into a port battle and let me know the response you get from your teammates. most people know that bringing lighter builds into a battle where you actually intend to fight puts you at a huge disadvantage).

Seems to me there should be some draw back to having such tanks, less speed (to where it can actually be noticed, not like now). Less turn rate. Or perhaps buff the other characteristics of ships so that people my try different strategies than just blasting each other at close range and hoping for a shot that actually penetrates the hull. Or raking each other to death because it's pointless to waste shots on a broadside. Fights have taken on an air of predictability and it would be nice if we could focus on some of the other types of 'talents' a ship might have other than being a floating fallout shelter.

I just got out of a fight with a port-battle aggie, and while I salute the guy for what was an honest 1v1 fight, I feel a bit cheated by the mechanics that he was out-turning me when I was running a teak connie with blue turning trim and ropes/blocks. My only option was repeatedly attempting to rake (which I was forced to abandon that strategy when I realized he could run circles around me) or try to hit the decks with grapeshot because my 24lb cannons might as well been firing confetti at his broadside.

The game is waaay to boarding-heavy now. Gone are the days where ship got sunk in long distance duels. All you meet in OW are fast, unsinkable pirate ships with cannonades on them. I remember when clans where organizing lines in battles like real life. Now it's more like a boarding-blobfest. Not much tactical insight needed here...

19 hours ago, Fargo said:

Guess how long it would take to increase the dock space in case thats really a problem.

Sometime ago admin posted that increasing outpost numbers takes up too much database storage, or something to that effect. For the same reason I highly doubt they would increase dock space. 

17 hours ago, Grundgemunkey said:

if your losing 3 ships a day on average  ..i would question whether this is right game for you

Remember, not everyone is a PVP elite.  I applaud anyone that tries to fight even though they might be new to PVP. 1 dur is going to hurt these people the most. But let's test 1 dur & see. ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Remember, not everyone is a PVP elite.  I applaud anyone that tries to fight even though they might be new to PVP. 1 dur is going to hurt these people the most. But let's test 1 dur & see. ?

my point is if your new to the game a 1 dura 1st rate has no effect on your game ...if your new.. your not going to be sailing a 1st rate .... 3 dura 1st rates is going to hurt the new player because your going to get fleets of 3 dura 1st rates whose captains are not afraid of losing a dura ...ganking newbies sailing in brigs and snows

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

my point is if your new to the game a 1 dura 1st rate has no effect on your game ...if your new.. your not going to be sailing a 1st rate .... 3 dura 1st rates is going to hurt the new player because your going to get fleets of 3 dura 1st rates whose captains are not afraid of losing a dura ...ganking newbies sailing in brigs and snows

True, but if every ship is 1 dur, as proposed, new players will be losing & having to replace 1 dur 7th, 6th & 5th rates. I'm just for keeping dur as is. Also, don't assume everyone sails SoLs :)

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

True, but if every ship is 1 dur, as proposed, new players will be losing & having to replace 1 dur 7th, 6th & 5th rates. I'm just for keeping dur as is. Also, don't assume everyone sails SoLs :)

i would rather see all ships over 5th rate single dura but give the upgrades and paints dura instead ,,,, give 5th rate and lower multi dura to help new players

quoted from my post yesterday

53 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

This is one big issue.  Like if you keep winning, someone must be losing?  You have fun winning, while the other guy may not have that much fun losing.  It is easy to keep you motivated, hard to keep that n00b motivated.

New guy is losing lot of ships, lot of crew, officer duras.  So how many times till he gets bored to sail his trader so that you can sink him again?

Admin said that they need to get these 10 hour guys to stick in this game, and they definitely should do that.

Now with broken economy, people have more money.  This does help to keep guys playing, as they have enough money to get new ships anyway.  I still have a feeling that there are players in this group, who will be suffering from death penalty when the economy gets fixed.

1 dura ships will also affect to the economy.

edit.

Question:

1. New guys craft ships, veteran guys capture those.  This is the fact if we have 1 dura ships.  10h guys will leave the game, veterans are having fun.  How would you fix this?

2. 1 dura ships mean that we lose one of the main moneysinks.  How would you counter this?  As ships after capture are not sold/broke but instead kept.

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

1 hour ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

This is one big issue.  Like if you keep winning, someone must be losing?  You have fun winning, while the other guy may not have that much fun losing.  It is easy to keep you motivated, hard to keep that n00b motivated.

New guy is losing lot of ships, lot of crew, officer duras.  So how many times till he gets bored to sail his trader so that you can sink him again?

Admin said that they need to get these 10 hour guys to stick in this game, and they definitely should do that.

Now with broken economy, people have more money.  This does help to keep guys playing, as they have enough money to get new ships anyway.  I still have a feeling that there are players in this group, who will be suffering from death penalty when the economy gets fixed.

1 dura ships will also affect to the economy.

edit.

Question:

1. New guys craft ships, veteran guys capture those.  This is the fact if we have 1 dura ships.  10h guys will leave the game, veterans are having fun.  How would you fix this?

2. 1 dura ships mean that we lose one of the main moneysinks.  How would you counter this?  As ships after capture are not sold/broke but instead kept.

I'm not for 1 dur ships across the board. I was saying 1 dur ships will hurt inexperienced pvp'rs. I like the dur system as it is now. 

Economic can always be fine tuned. I think that we need better tools to make multiplayer battles in OW. I have suggested longer ROE timers, but maybe that discussion has spread a fog to the theme. 

Veterans are typical in a clan with TS. They dont like too many changes as they are having fun. They are too few, however and the PB conquests are too hard to maintain for smaller nations.

A new player or a player that prefer to go alone is having a hard time to find PvP with others. How can this be organized? Can we have a fleet that you can join? A patrol? And these a garantied to meet equal patrols from enemies?

Or maybe an easier in game joining mechanism where you can find other waiting players in lobby (but sail and fight in OW). 

I think the keys for more players lies in that. What say you???

Edited by fox2run
  • Like 2

What if ships would not have durability, but instead quality?

You always craft exceptional ships. Quality will decrease when captured/sank.  Maybe something like.

Exceptional can sink twice before losing quality.  Can be captured once.

Master Craft can sink twice before losing quality.  Can be captured twice.

etc.

Built-in features go hand to hand with quality drop.

Permanent upgrades will stay with ships, and regulars will always stay with original owners.

Always 3 permanent upgrade slots.  And 5 regulars?  Or should it decrease with quality?

Sinking will be better than capturing.  Reason for this is..  If you sink a new guy, he will have still another go with his ship.  If you capture it, you will get a bit less.  It could be also so that if captured you lose a quality level immediately.  Also how many times you can sink, value can be tuned.  I hope just that this example makes the point clear.

Ships will be destroyed if captured/sank when at Common quality level.

Veterans, guys with money want to always sail Exceptionals.  Quality drops once, and there is a high change that they actually want to sell it.  Veterans craft Exceptional ships, new guys use their old Mastercrafted/FIne (With permanent upgrades).

This way ships have "wear and tear".

Captured ships do have resell value.

Death Penalty goes to the right address.

Moneysink will stay as veterans will lose ships and they want those exceptional.

New guys do not have to craft ships if they accept MC ships, with all permanent upgrades.

Could it work?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jealousMe said:

When are u going to deploy this on the servers? because no 1 is testing your testbed ideea. And make a mind note testbed on alpha game is a bad ideea.

It is ok for some wild ideas they had.  But right now, they definitely should update the main alpha test server.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, fox2run said:

You guys think too economic. In order to have new players and a good pc)game you need to think SOCIAL.

(wow, heh?).

What is not social?

• Like 2

Demasting seems a bit easy when aiming at the hull.  Not 100% certain if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  Perhaps make it a little more random.  (I know people hate the RNG, buuuuut...  might be of use here.)  Same with explosions.  Fairly prevalent.

Surveillante_contre_hms_quebec%20-%20Ros

Quebec vs. Surveillante by Rossel de Cercy

During the duel not a single rake pass was done, all shooting was broadside to broadside.

One naval author writes "The gunnery duel continued until about one o'cIock when the Surveillante's masts went overboard together" Antoine Vanner, Duty and Daring in the Heyday of Empire[1] 

• Like 3