Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.97 - Events, minor crafting changes and other things

admin

3 hours ago, Palpatine said:

Only those who have little money or who lost the control of strategic ports were [upset about that]! Admins should not listen to [these people], only for adequate players who have balls to fight and win even after defeats and lack of resourses!

I read this as quite the whine.. What does that make you? 

1 hour ago, John Swigglebottoms said:

I fully agree with Otto Kohl on this one! Get rid of most of the fortresses and towers. Only place them at really strategic capitals and please for the love of god reduce the AI fleets by a factor of 2... places like Christiansted are infested with AI...

Please bring back positional spawns again. Those were perfect. I ... hate... the huge drag circle and the small tag circle... it ruins our SAILING to every port battle every time...

Wel.. To be fair it wasn't the ai that sank you the last time you went to CS...

Disappointed in PvP Events locations. We shouldn't be required to waste two of our precious and only 8 OPs we are allowed to be able to participate in events. The talk for PBs was about a queue system. I feel events only should be queued from the UI. The rest will be interesting to test.

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I am not a fan of the flat out drop of fine woods.   But I am glad to see them listen.  

I think fine woods could have been used in a positive way in crafting.  But now we will see the mass return of the 1st rate navies and nothing less.   Nothing more fun then seeing fleets of 1st rates because why build anything less. 

I think fine woods should have been used for Ships of the line 3rd rate and higher.  As they would need better materials to build as they are larger.   But meh... I guess it is back to Ship of the Lines for everyone! (eye roll)

But I do think that the idea about fine woods for 3rd rates and higher was a good idea tho..

2 hours ago, admin said:

resource control remained. You still have to own certain regions to have full access to some types of wood or materials. 

fine wood removed for the following reasons. Its goal was to limit the number of rare ships and first rates, the goal was somewhat achieved together with the removal of players :). It was not a good feature and has to be rethought completely.

I think the "Fine Wood" issue could have been solved by simply allowing "Fine wood" to be crafted by normal log.  You could still get the Fine wood from harvesting a forest but for those without access to producing ports they could get the Fine wood by crafting from regular logs.

What we have now is millions of logs that will now be dumped on the market, if they could have been crafted into "Fine wood" that would provide a use for those million logs.

I think 100 Logs = 1 Fine Wood would be about right.

• Like 3

Well only complaint I have so far is the time to kill is going to be a RAGE BOARDERS wet dream.  Cause that is pretty much the fastest way to kill the two ships. I think the same restriction in the kills missions of no boarding should take place.  Remember many of the newer players don't have all them fancy boarding mods some of us older players have.  Speaking of which would be nice if some of these where craft able or given out more often or new better system put in place.  Kinda getting sick of every AI haven't better boarding mods than my combat fit ships and still perform like they didn't have a bunch of marines on board.

The PvP zone so far on PvP2 is a going to be a big gank fest.  Going to need to go into there with a good decent group.  I though we where going to get both a Shallow and Deep water zone during the times or is this random each time zone?   Cause I was actually hoping to do some shallow water PvP.   Cause of these gank fest these zone are prob going to be more the top nations controlling them and getting all the rewards.

Just now, Salty Dog PVP1 said:

I think the "Fine Wood" issue could have been solved by simply allowing "Fine wood" to be crafted by normal log.  You could still get the Fine wood from harvesting a forest but for those without access to producing ports they could get the Fine wood by crafting from regular logs.

What we have now is millions of logs that will now be dumped on the market, if they could have been crafted into "Fine wood" that would provide a use for those million logs.

I think 100 Logs = 1 Fine Wood would be about right.

Are by having a lumber mill as a building to convert over regular logs.  I all ready have more regular logs than I'll ever us and some of the wood types have no other uses than frames for building ships.  

• Like 2

Building SoL's is still nog as easy as it used to be, still need to sail mats around, so without the fine woods it might not get "as bad" as it used to be. I personaly never realy considered the amount of SoL's to be that big of a problem, sinking a 1st rate still was a big loss. The majority of SoL's in OW were Buc's in my opinion, and ingers/conni's probably the most seen frigates, maybe even surps and reno's.

As a side note I would rather be tossing endless amounts of SoL's at eachother, then just not tossing any ships and just use Hostility bombs.

Usualy the bigger issues with a patch arise a couple of days after the patch, whene everybody figured out the new mechanics and find the possible exploits or flaws.

Edited by The Spud

They could simply replace fine wood with gold.  You have to rent a shipyard and workers.  Bigger ships need lot of money to craft.  Gold is a good thing to add, you can earn it in every possible play style.  PvE, PvP, Trade, what ever you like.  It is not forcing you to do something specific.

1st rates can need lot of gold to be crafted, and this directly can decrease the amount.  Right now the economy is messed, so hard to say what is a lot in the end, but still..  In the end it should be a lot.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Disappointed in PvP Events locations. We shouldn't be required to waste two of our precious and only 8 OPs we are allowed to be able to participate in events. The talk for PBs was about a queue system. I feel events only should be queued from the UI. The rest will be interesting to test.

Events will always be in those locations. From what we see in data most players have free towns in those zones. Lobby based tournaments were considered but the worry is that lobby (lets say weekend) tournaments will remove people from the open world. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I am not a fan of the flat out drop of fine woods.   But I am glad to see them listen.  

Lets be honest :). Fine woods were fine for some players, but the majority did not like that feature. Fine woods were implemented based on hardcore crafters and players suggestions to limit exceptional ships and first rates. Feature achieved the required goal - we saw less first rates and less exceptional ships (newly crafted), but it achieved the goal by removing players. 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, admin said:

Events will always be in those locations. From what we see in data most players have free towns in those zones. Lobby based tournaments were considered but the worry is that lobby (lets say weekend) tournaments will remove people from the open world. 

One thing that might help free up OP for folks is why don't every one get there Newbie and Main capital for free and than they can put 8 OP where they want?

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, admin said:

Lets be honest :). Fine woods were fine for some players, but the majority did not like that feature. Fine woods were implemented based on hardcore crafters and players suggestions to limit exceptional ships and first rates. Feature achieved the required goal - we saw less first rates and less exceptional ships (newly crafted), but it achieved the goal by removing players. 

I hope the PVP currency includes buying the "PvP Trophy for Exceptionals" mechanic I proposed. Getting exceptionals for spending labor hours in a forest was decidedly not fun, but getting exceptionals by killing enemy players will be a tremendous boost to the PvP scene. But don't forget to split any such trophies up by ship rating, all seven of them. Making exceptional 1st rates carry a steep PvP currency premium over 2nd rates is one possible way to get exceptional 1st rates rare again.

2 hours ago, Zoky said:

So no roe change and with OW speed increase you managed to make OW PvP even worse! Lets all hope that in hotfix #1 you severely decrease (if not completely remove) AI fleets and towers+forts.

Let's hope severe changes or removal of entire features are a thing of the past.  No more surgery with sledgehammers. :(

IMO...

AI patrol fleets: yes - still need an overall reduction. Also spacing them out... crazy to see 4 or 5 of them following each other closely with a combined BR of 6000 or more!

Towers: Meh - no biggie... maybe a few too many or in strange places.

Forts: too many or shouldn't be in some small ports, missing or in useless positions in major ports. Overall they just seem to be very overpowered. Are they comparable in DPS to the PB towers?

2 hours ago, sruPL said:

I can't sell my Fine Fir because players have contracts to buy it for 5k. Contracts should be fixed, because when players puts contract with lower buy price, shop price to NPC port stock is gone!

I *think* a change was made to prevent undercutting port prices at time of placing a contract. But there's no mechanism to cancel low player contracts if the port price rises for some reason.

2 hours ago, John Swigglebottoms said:

Would have loved to see some changes to the RoE.

Agreed - at least a 20% reduction of the pull circle radius to offset the new OW speed. I think the devs overlooked that effect. (Hot fix please?) Beyond that... seems the RoE changes hinted at previously got bumped to later so we can look at what we just got. You know... like how many people (including me) asked for changes in smaller doses? ;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, admin said:

Was hoping the Admirilty store was going to make it in, could the Fine mats be some kind of PvP , PvE reward from admirility store, that could bring the Fine mats back in etc etc

• Like 1

I proposed elsewhere that the Martello towers forming the great Caribbean Maginot Line be downgraded to little earth-and-timber batteries. Martello towers were built and balanced for port battles, not anti-piracy duty. They're fine for capitals where port battles occur, but every little sugar plantation seems to have its own cut-stone anti-SOL battery defending it.

• Like 2